PDA

View Full Version : Public Perception of league following licence failures

harry crumb
26/01/2005, 10:55 AM
How much do you think the negative publicity over licences will have on the league for the new season?

Listening to "morning Ireland" on Radio 1 this morning was pretty depressing. Des Cahill was giving the bad news out at the Sportsdesk when one of the news presenters made a comment like,

"Sure, a lot of Eircom League clubs wouldnt even have proper changing rooms!"

How much more in marketing will it cost to overcome this new negative press on top of the old negative perception of the League of ireland being a joke?

BohDiddley
26/01/2005, 11:11 AM
How much do you think the negative publicity over licences will have on the league for the new season?

Listening to "morning Ireland" on Radio 1 this morning was pretty depressing. Des Cahill was giving the bad news out at the Sportsdesk when one of the news presenters made a comment like,

"Sure, a lot of Eircom League clubs wouldnt even have proper changing rooms!"

How much more in marketing will it cost to overcome this new negative press on top of the old negative perception of the League of ireland being a joke?
I think the league is just one of those whipping boys that gets negative publicity anyway. This is just this year's excuse for the GAA and English Prem-loving slackers in RTE etc. to do some more bashing of a sport which most of them probably have never attended.

I mentioned that sneering comment earlier on: it's difficult to know how to deal with this attitude. A hostile response usually makes things worse, especially given the dumbed-down nature of any coverage that Irish soccer gets.

Maynard
26/01/2005, 5:49 PM
There's an element of truth in that alright. However, firstly I wouldn't lump in "GAA lovers" with English Premiership fans, both groups are often as mutually exclusive as any two you might find. In fact in my experience you are bound to get far more GAA supporters going to EL games, a much stronger sense of pride in your local team etc Certainly much better than the devout Premiership barstoolers. But it also has to be said that if the EL are going to aim for European football and charge top dollar to the few punters who take an interest, then they should face up to European standards. If they're not ready for that as a league then they should admit it and stop messing around.

Éanna
26/01/2005, 6:18 PM
it is going to be used as a stick to beat the league with- the FAI have to take some responsibility for that, but the clubs (as was said on other threads) have to take the ultimate responsibility. Its a professional era, the clubs are businesses, and its up to themselves to market their product.

A face
26/01/2005, 10:28 PM
Alright lads .... chill out a bit there like .... It is not we are not used to this kind of attitude, i think the leagues skin is a bit thicker than some make out.

Granted it aint ideal and the FAI did make a huge blunder is dealing with it the way they did, and i totally believe that the league should now turn and beat the proverbial shíte out of the FAI and get them to sit up and not be so far of the mark next time.

But lads ...... there is no way that this "media frenzy" would or should effect anyone in the league. Alot of these guys, news readers etc. All these Des Cahills of the world haven't got a fupping clue, it is all sound bites, they read it off a screen in front of them, a facility that every radio station in the country have, and pay for every year, it is not like the have an exclusive on it. They are actually so far removed from the truth it just aint funny anymore.

Just wait till all the other leagues have to tow the line, then some of these guys might wake up to it or it'll be spelt out across their screens phonetically so they have a better chance of grasping it. The worst thing we could do is take heed of their cráp.

BohDiddley
27/01/2005, 9:44 AM
Alright lads .... chill out a bit there like .... It is not we are not used to this kind of attitude, i think the leagues skin is a bit thicker than some make out.

Granted it aint ideal and the FAI did make a huge blunder is dealing with it the way they did, and i totally believe that the league should now turn and beat the proverbial shíte out of the FAI and get them to sit up and not be so far of the mark next time.

But lads ...... there is no way that this "media frenzy" would or should effect anyone in the league. Alot of these guys, news readers etc. All these Des Cahills of the world haven't got a fupping clue, it is all sound bites, they read it off a screen in front of them, a facility that every radio station in the country have, and pay for every year, it is not like the have an exclusive on it. They are actually so far removed from the truth it just aint funny anymore.

Just wait till all the other leagues have to tow the line, then some of these guys might wake up to it or it'll be spelt out across their screens phonetically so they have a better chance of grasping it. The worst thing we could do is take heed of their cráp.

Can't agree. Media attitudes lead public/political attitudes and so long as Irish media has a downer on Irish football, then it will always be regarded as a minnow sport. I'm sure we all know people who follow English plc teams and at the same time look at LoI followers as if we had 10 heads.
If we're happy with the league as it is and don't want it to grow and attract more fans -- much more fans -- then yes, I think we can chill out and say that this sort of bigotry doesn't affect us. But if we want football to take its rightful place, then we should lose no opportunity in disabusing opinion leaders of this prejudice, and yesterday's sneering comment on a prime news broadcast was a shocking example.

dcfcsteve
27/01/2005, 10:02 AM
All these Des Cahills of the world haven't got a fupping clue, it is all sound bites, they read it off a screen in front of them, a facility that every radio station in the country have, and pay for every year, it is not like the have an exclusive on it. They are actually so far removed from the truth it just aint funny anymore.

Ahhh - so it's all a big soundbite driven lie then !! All our teams didn't have their licenses refused ! Phew - thank feck for that.... :D :rolleyes:

Just wait till all the other leagues have to tow the line, then some of these guys might wake up to it or it'll be spelt out across their screens...

So lots of other leagues are going to fail as well ? Maybe the Irish League, League of Wales, and the likes of the Moldovan Football Association's clubs, but I can't see any 'credible' league like the Premiership or SPL clubs failing, and they are the point of reference Irish football fans will be comparing us with.

Rubbishing the media is all a bit ostrich-head in the sand. They both feed and reflect the public opinion that's out there. We can pretend they don't have any influence, but they do.

pete
27/01/2005, 11:44 AM
RTE Sport is a complete farce.

Your first mistake was listening to RTE radio.

Although RTE Radio 1 Sports does give good eL coverage in their sports shows.