PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness gone mad

eirebhoy
25/01/2005, 5:00 PM
Rodney Marsh made a joke on Sky Sports last night which you might have heard, it goes like this:

David Beckham turned down a £15 million move to Newcastle last week.

Apparently he can't bring himself to join the Magpies after what the Toon Army did to Indonesia and surrounding areas.

The presenter didn't get the joke and Rodney was laughing at himself for a couple of minutes, he then apologised. Ok, silly joke to be making live on TV and all that but he has now been SACKED by Sky. :eek:

SKY SACK RODNEY MARSH

Rodney Marsh has had his contract terminated by Sky Sports after making offensive comments on air about the Asia tsunami disaster.

The former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City striker appeared as a pundit on Monday night's You're on Sky Sports programme.

A Sky Sports spokesperson said on Tuesday: "We have today ended Rodney Marsh's contract with Sky Sports.

"The decision was made this morning, following a review of his comments on last night's edition of You're on Sky Sports.

"During the live night-time phone-in Rodney made comments that were offensive and inexcusable.

"An apology was made within the programme and Rodney's comments were edited and removed from later transmissions.

"These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

Most likely jobless now for the rest of his life because of something silly like this.

eirebhoy
25/01/2005, 5:36 PM
Whether we like him or not, that joke was on almost every forum I read and all it got was laugh's. All it basically is doing is slagging off Beckham.

Risteard
25/01/2005, 10:26 PM
He's a tosser anyway.
Don't give me that crap of love him or loathe him.
He's just a muppet trying to be controversial.
He's the English Prendeville.

harry crumb
25/01/2005, 11:52 PM
"I tell you What Jeff!...."

Those words will be on his tombstone.

I thought he was a gowl. Almost as big as Andy Gray.

razor
26/01/2005, 7:49 AM
Think the punishment is a total over reaction.
But having said that he was the biggest tosser on the telly.
Jeff Stelling will be crying himself to sleep tonight. :D

drinkfeckarse
26/01/2005, 8:10 AM
He was a gobsh!te alright but to sack him was an overreaction I think, the joke is taking the p!ss out of Beckhams intellect not the disaster. Nobody in their right mind would find the tragedy funny.

Still, he mustn't be far off DB's intellect himself if he thought saying that live on air was a good idea.

pete
26/01/2005, 8:44 AM
If he stupid enough to say that live on air than he probably yoo stupid to have on live tv - only a matter of time before he did something else?

Aldini98
26/01/2005, 9:15 AM
He's a tosser anyway.
Don't give me that crap of love him or loathe him.
He's just a muppet trying to be controversial.
He's the English Prendeville.

Agree!!!!! he is a brutal pundit, delighted I won't have to listen to him anymore. He just talked complete cack all the time. Him and Big Ron can stay away from my ear drums FOREVER :)

loscherland
26/01/2005, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know what Rodney Marsh said to get fired???? Must have been bad!

RODNEY MARSH had his contract terminated by Sky Sports yesterday after making offensive comments on air about the Asia tsunami disaster.

The former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City striker appeared as a pundit on Tuesday night's 'You're on Sky Sports' programme.

A Sky Sports spokesperson said: "We have today ended Rodney Marsh's contract with Sky Sports.

"The decision was made this morning, following a review of his comments on last night's edition of You're on Sky Sports.

"During the live night-time phone-in Rodney made comments that were offensive and inexcusable.

"An apology was made within the programme and Rodney's comments were edited and removed from later transmissions.

"These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

The 60-year-old insisted he did not intend to offend viewers.

"I apologise unreservedly for any offence I caused by my thoughtless and inappropriate comment. My intention was to make a light-hearted football joke," said Marsh.

Gary
26/01/2005, 12:59 PM
see here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=21395).

pete
27/01/2005, 9:00 AM
merged thread...

gustavo
27/01/2005, 3:28 PM
good article on it here

http://www.football365.com/opinion/john_nicholson/story_141610.shtml

lopez
27/01/2005, 3:29 PM
I heard a similar 'joke' a few weeks back. I think it was on BBC's Dead Ringers but with Dubya as the intended victim. Dubya was saying: 'In our war on freedom and our spreading of terror, we will hunt down the Soon Army, for the deaths that they have caused. We will smoke 'em out, etc., etc.'

fosterdollar
27/01/2005, 3:55 PM
good article on it here

http://www.football365.com/opinion/john_nicholson/story_141610.shtml
I like that a lot. Simple and true.

Colm
31/01/2005, 2:35 PM
I think it's a total overreaction on the part of Sky. He read out a joke which was on an email sent in by a viewer, it was a joke that had been used on morning radio programmes and internet forums all week.
Rodney Marsh was excellent on Sky and brought a bit of entertainment to their otherwise dull pundits. I'd say Sky will suffer from this more than Marshy does, without him there is absolutely no point in watching boring crap like You're on Sky Sports and Soccer Saturday.
I can see him either returning to Sky or landing a job on BBC/ITV before long, it was a harmless joke and won't effect his career in the way that Ron Atkinson's racism effected his.

Aldini98
31/01/2005, 3:20 PM
I think it's a total overreaction on the part of Sky. He read out a joke which was on an email sent in by a viewer, it was a joke that had been used on morning radio programmes and internet forums all week.
Rodney Marsh was excellent on Sky and brought a bit of entertainment to their otherwise dull pundits. I'd say Sky will suffer from this more than Marshy does, without him there is absolutely no point in watching boring crap like You're on Sky Sports and Soccer Saturday.
I can see him either returning to Sky or landing a job on BBC/ITV before long, it was a harmless joke and won't effect his career in the way that Ron Atkinson's racism effected his.

Not at all mate, the Beeb wouldn't employ him, hes a tosser. The Toon Army joke was just the tip of the iceberg. All the other pundits on Sky couldn't stand him due to his ludicrous comments and constant interrupting.