PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Arcade Game

carrickharp
25/01/2005, 2:27 PM
At home in late 80’s early 90’s apart from pool or darts one of the main pass times was the oul Arcade game in the Chipper, my all time favourite was Bobble Bobble (wish it could be brought out for PS 2), also worth a mention: Commando, Defender, Double Dragon, Golden Axe that’s all I can think off the top of my head any more…..

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 2:42 PM
I think Double Dragon would have been a bit later than Defender, I doubt you'd find both of them in the same arcade at the same time. I used to like Zaxxon, Defender, that black and white racing game with two steering wheels, Mr. Pepper or whatever it was called, and Pac Man. My favourite was one called Crush Roller though, cos I was good enough at it to draw a crowd. Relatively useless at everything else.

adam

Macy
25/01/2005, 2:47 PM
Bubble Bobble would probably be my favourite. The bro in law is currently building an arcade machine, so it'll be interesting to see how that comes out. (PC, MDF frame, and the buttons/ joy sticks cheap enough online) - would be up for it myself but I've no where to put it at the moment..

fosterdollar
25/01/2005, 2:52 PM
I know you're talking about Arcade Games but i'm foct if i can rem the names of any i used to play - and it was a rare occurrance that i had access to them anyway so ...

... Of the games systems i had access to growing up, here are my favs:

C64 - Ghosts n' Goblins; Terminator 2
NES - Megaman (Super Mario a given)
SuperNintendo/N64 - Mariokart (many chores of making the tea were decided over a dramatic race round Rainbow Road)
Sega Mega Drive - Sonic The Hedgehog (When Lisa Simpson described Generation X's feeling of neither highs nor lows I felt this was true and that Sonic the Hedgehog's ludicrously psychotic agility and speed played no small part in desensitising us); Shinobi; FIFA football was revolution in sports video games
Playstation - Pro Evo; Crash Bandicoot

Honourable mentions to:
Gameboy - Tetris
Atari 2600 - Olympic Games (utterly rediculous the way you had to practically jack off the joypads to make the fcukers run, etc.- hilarious stuff)

I've always preferred platform and sports games to roleplay ones.

carrickharp
25/01/2005, 3:31 PM
I vaguely remember from 82-83 (I think) Defender was one of the first games I played (or asteroids) Double Dragon would have been late 80’s alright I am just thinking of games from say 83-92 after that the high stool put an end to hanging around the Chipper (well until after the pub anyway). Ah yeah Ghosts and Goblins forgot that one.

Roo69
25/01/2005, 3:34 PM
Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Golden Axe, Street Fighter and Wonder Boy were all classics

DolansWaistcoat
25/01/2005, 3:47 PM
Can't remember the name now something beast,two player game where you collect icons to turn into wolves and dragons and stuff.Streetfighter 2 was the bees knees when I was about 10 and we'd spend hours in smoke filled arcades on saturdays trying to beat Bison and co and get a bollicking off our mothers when we came in at 9 or 10 at night.

I have bubble bobble at home for ps1 but it's nowhere near as good as the C64 version was.

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 3:59 PM
I vaguely remember from 82-83 (I think) Defender was one of the first games I played (or asteroids)Who needs Halo 2 when you've got fantastic graphically-intense games like Asteroids...

Pew! Pew Pew!

green goblin
25/01/2005, 4:10 PM
"King of Iron Fist Tournament. Enter the Tekken".

Tekken. Every single time. It opens up a great big can of whupass and very rarely fails to deliver. The sequels have only improved on the legend.

Ruairi
25/01/2005, 4:21 PM
I always liked arcades with big cabinets, like sega's Virtua Racing or Daytona etc..

ken foree
25/01/2005, 4:37 PM
ah yea can't beat the adrenaline rush:

space harrier
galaga
heavy barrel
st. fighter 1 + 2
gauntlet

golden axe, double dragon, and altered beast great too

pete
26/01/2005, 8:30 AM
Been a while but we used to play sort of Paris-Dakar type driving game in early 90's....dunno name...

tetsujin1979
26/01/2005, 9:45 AM
Street Fighter 2, a really good game of that between experienced players is like chess, track down Street Fighter Alpha 3 on MAME for a great 2D beat 'em up.

Mortal Kombat 2 was the only one of the series that I played to any great degree, MK1 was new because of the copious amounts of blood, MK3 wasn't that different to MK2 and I lost interst in the series after that, although the 2 recent games on home consoles haven't been bad

Tekken 2 is the best 3D fighter for me, lost about 2 months of my life to that on my PS (only Championship Manager beats it terms of time spent) T3 wasn't any kind of improvement, on my first contact with the game ever, I beat it on Hard without having to continue! T4 improved the graphics and added in walls to the arenas, and I'm really looking forward to T5.

Never really got into Virtua Fighter, the moves list book is as thick as the bible!

yur man
26/01/2005, 10:43 AM
street fighter 2 for me aswell. great fun when playin with another experienced player

as for best beat em up, its definelty soul caliber on dreamcast. u can walk around each other (great fun when both players low on energy),side step away from attack, has a great mix of moves and even soul caliber 2 couldnt beat it IMO. its the main reason i went and bought a dreamcast last year

piratemousey
01/02/2005, 10:54 AM
teenage mutant ninja turtles coin op. brilliant fun 4 players and all!

tiktok
01/02/2005, 11:02 AM
Tetris would have been my favourite arcade game.
Performed basly on a lot of exams because of it

pete
01/02/2005, 1:23 PM
Tetris would have been my favourite arcade game.

I was never much good at arcade Tetris. On the otherhand I was as close to master player as i'd ever be when playing on Gameboy.

tiktok
01/02/2005, 1:27 PM
funny that, I could never really get the hang of it on the gameboy :confused:

piratemousey
02/02/2005, 5:40 PM
jay! remember the atari lynx??

Closed Account 2
05/02/2005, 3:53 AM
Dizzy's Castle, Bart vs The Space Mutants, Streetfighter II, Super Mario Bros. 3, Sonic (Game Gear), OutRun Europa, Knights of the Sky, F117A Steath Fighter, Grand Prix (Geoff Crammond), David Leadbetter Golf, Olympic Gold Barca '92... those games were my childhood.

Troy.McClure
05/02/2005, 12:34 PM
Could anyone afford the £1 to go on the fighter plane simulator that would spin you upsidedown an all that? I remember coming out very bemused and dizzy after the first time I went in to it. God bless the Savoy back in the day though :)

Neish
06/02/2005, 7:20 PM
Any of you have and Amstrad? What about Ronan on the Ropes, Harrier Attack or Oh Mummy?

jebus
06/02/2005, 7:45 PM
WrestleFest on the arcade has to be the greatest wrestling game going, then I'd go for Mortal Kombat, Superstar Soccer, Bubble Bobble, Daytona USA and there was this car racing game with four wheels at each side of this square arcade game where you looked down on the screen? Anyone remember it?

DolansWaistcoat
07/02/2005, 6:20 AM
God bless the Savoy back in the day though :)

:)
Ya that place was brilliant back then alright,pay your couple of pound and play the games free for as long as you want(supposed to be two hours max but we used to dodge the fellas checking the tickets and stay there all day). :cool:

Kicko
07/02/2005, 9:20 AM
Sonic-gamegear, Tetris on gameboy, but top of the list pac-man on an IBM PC.