View Full Version : Nuts gone at Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

KeepersBall
03/07/2016, 3:51 PM
Mutually consented today.
Word is Doolin is lined up

Dalymountrower
03/07/2016, 4:06 PM
Row in the dressing room before the game against the Laplanders ;,,,about bonuses.Rings a bell!.

KeepersBall
03/07/2016, 4:29 PM
Dilly ding Dilly dong

Martinho II
03/07/2016, 4:50 PM
Surely Fenlon will go back across the water or is his days numbered in the league? he hasnt being the same manager since his Hibs experience!

Calcio Jack
03/07/2016, 5:12 PM
Row in the dressing room before the game against the Laplanders ;,,,about bonuses.Rings a bell!.

Pathetic lie

Ezeikial
03/07/2016, 5:29 PM
Rovers seem a bit unsure about whether or not they will make a further statement / comment further on this.

Created on Sunday, 03 July 2016 15:13
Shamrock Rovers Football Club wishes to announce that it has parted company with First team manager Pat Fenlon with immediate effect.
The Board of Directors would like to place on record their thanks for the dedication and commitment Pat has shown over the course of three seasons with the Club.
Everyone at the club wishes Pat all the best in the future.
There will be no further comment from the club on this matter.
A further statement will follow from the club in due course.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4314-pat-fenlon

White Horse
03/07/2016, 5:41 PM
Rovers keep sacking mangers and players keep under-performing. Something isn't right.

pineapple stu
03/07/2016, 7:01 PM
Doolin? Ha!

Fenlon lite

Dalymountrower
03/07/2016, 7:11 PM
Pathetic lie
Heard it from Rovers people who were blaming Fenlon for it, I am sure the full story will emerge in the coming days.
Seems crazy to me not to alow PF see out the season with third place pretty much secured., particularly Doolin, is the intended replacement

Calcio Jack
03/07/2016, 8:07 PM
Heard it from Rovers people who were blaming Fenlon for it, I am sure the full story will emerge in the coming days.
Seems crazy to me not to alow PF see out the season with third place pretty much secured., particularly Doolin, is the intended replacement

What's happened is very simple - last Thursday's abject performance was the final straw for the board (no row etc) .

So they've decided to pay him off - so another screw up by the board , time those in the board who have managed to recruit/part company with 3 managers in 4 years should consider their own positions.

Mr A
03/07/2016, 8:29 PM
What's happened is very simple - last Thursday's abject performance was the final straw for the board (no row etc) .

So they've decided to pay him off - so another screw up by the board , time those in the board who have managed to recruit/part company with 3 managers in 4 years should consider their own positions.

If people feel they could do a better job can they not challenge them at the AGM?

Calcio Jack
03/07/2016, 8:33 PM
If people feel they could do a better job can they not challenge them at the AGM?

At recent agm 'two new' members elected to the board - first time stranglehold of old guard broken. But still a number of directors on it who were responsible for the debacle of last 5 years

Nesta99
03/07/2016, 8:41 PM
So all has not been well at Shamrock Rovers off the pitch too?

outspoken
03/07/2016, 8:41 PM
Yet cousins still has a job. Amazing

Ezeikial
03/07/2016, 9:01 PM

That is astonishing

Surely the performance and result against the Laplanders hardly came as a surprise - Rovers have been awful all season.

If the board were dissatisfied with Fenlon and had any gumption, the time to sack him was before the Europa League fixture.

Mr A
03/07/2016, 9:13 PM
Jeez you'd think at times that Dundalk never made a crap managerial appointment.

Nesta99
03/07/2016, 9:43 PM
But rovers didnt really make bad managerial appointments certainly not on paper, what happened after seems t be where the trouble is - Stephen Kenny, the top manager but sacked due to player power, Croly, a talented up and coming manager, Fenlon the top manager after Kenny. Possbily Doolin next, maybe Baraclough - what could go wrong!

Ezeikial
03/07/2016, 9:55 PM
Jeez you'd think at times that Dundalk never made a crap managerial appointment.

Don't know why you think that, or what relevance it has to Fenlon being sacked.

White Horse
03/07/2016, 10:01 PM
But rovers didnt really make bad managerial appointments certainly not on paper, what happened after seems t be where the trouble is

Kenny, Croly, and Fenlon are not "crap managerial appointments" as you correctly point out. The real question is why they all failed and were sacked.

WoodquayBoy
03/07/2016, 11:03 PM
Never rated Fenlon - handy with a big budget, but any half competent manager would get by with that. And Croly as a manager? Seriously? Though I completely agree with the amazement that Fenlon got the boot yet Cousins is still in a job

Charlie Darwin
03/07/2016, 11:05 PM
Kenny, Croly, and Fenlon are not "crap managerial appointments" as you correctly point out. The real question is why they all failed and were sacked.
Because they all weren't up to the task. There are clearly things wrong at the club but they've all been backed and all responsible for their own failures.

Not sure what sacking Nusty will achieve, mind. We're out of Europe and he had us more or less on course to scrape a European place. There's nobody superior without a job that I can see to replace him.

WoodquayBoy
03/07/2016, 11:49 PM
There's nobody superior without a job that I can see to replace him.
Maybe, but surely Pete Mahon would find Tallaght more attractive than Drogheda? That's just one off the top of my head. Or Brian Kerr (if media obligations allowed)

Charlie Darwin
03/07/2016, 11:55 PM
Pete wouldn't offer anything different from Nutsy.

I have a lot of time for Kerr but there's more chance of him taking the Faroes to the World Cup than there is him taking any role at Rovers again.

Lim till i die
04/07/2016, 12:09 AM
I can't see the shamrock board having the balls/brains to do it but Martin Russell is absolutely the right man for the job.

His team's are ridiculously entertaining which would get the crowds back to tallaght and he'd rather work with the promising youngfellas you have and a spine of established players than some of the pick pockets you have masquerading around the field.

Plus rovers have the resources to either provide him with an assistant to teach fellas how to defend or defenders good enough that they don't need teaching.

Plus he'd be cheap.

pineapple stu
04/07/2016, 7:51 AM
It'd be interesting to see Rusty at a bigger club alright - whether it works would come down to whether he'd win 3-2 every game or just draw 2-2.

Longfordian
04/07/2016, 7:51 AM
Pete wouldn't offer anything different from Nutsy.

I have a lot of time for Kerr but there's more chance of him taking the Faroes to the World Cup than there is him taking any role at Rovers again.

Again? Wasn't aware he was with Rovers before?

nr637
04/07/2016, 8:29 AM
I always found Fenlon a boring manager, his teams were always sent out to play safe and hold what we have mentality. The Shamrock Rovers model was always seen as an attractive draw for clubs all over the country, but over the years other than the Bohs derby games it has lost a lot of its attraction especially in the last couple of years.

I know the club are working behind the scene to establish the club for the future but as usual the fans expect a bit of entertainment for their entrance money.

Larry 'da' Wyse
04/07/2016, 9:53 AM
Ian Barraclough in with a shout I wonder?

joey B
04/07/2016, 10:26 AM
Roy Hodgsons looking a job :)

marinobohs
04/07/2016, 11:12 AM
I can't see the shamrock board having the balls/brains to do it but Martin Russell is absolutely the right man for the job.

His team's are ridiculously entertaining which would get the crowds back to tallaght and he'd rather work with the promising youngfellas you have and a spine of established players than some of the pick pockets you have masquerading around the field.

Plus rovers have the resources to either provide him with an assistant to teach fellas how to defend or defenders good enough that they don't need teaching.

Plus he'd be cheap.

Remember hearing that Russell was shortlisted when Crolly got the job so maybe. Might Buckley be a potential replacement ? Seems to be going nowhere fast with Pats and might suit both parties to se him move on, purely speculation mind.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
04/07/2016, 12:07 PM
I always found Fenlon a boring manager, his teams were always sent out to play safe and hold what we have mentality. The Shamrock Rovers model was always seen as an attractive draw for clubs all over the country, but over the years other than the Bohs derby games it has lost a lot of its attraction especially in the last couple of years.

I know the club are working behind the scene to establish the club for the future but as usual the fans expect a bit of entertainment for their entrance money.

No one really cares what the football is like when they're winning. O'Neills team were very effective but not great to watch and they were getting huge crowds.

White Horse
04/07/2016, 12:09 PM
Rovers do appear to be at sea at the moment, best summed up by the final two sentences of their press release.

"There will be no further comment from the club on this matter.

A further statement will follow from the club in due course.”

Mr A
04/07/2016, 12:10 PM
Exactly. Results massively outweigh style in terms of importance with the vast majority of fans.

Astonished to see Russell linked, Limerick may be flying now but they should be with a full time set up and a budget way in excess of any other first division club. But when it mattered last year he got them relegated.

El-Pietro
04/07/2016, 12:11 PM
I hope Russell gets the job, and I can't wait to play his Rovers team.

White Horse
04/07/2016, 12:19 PM
I hope Russell gets the job, and I can't wait to play his Rovers team.

Russell will have them bottom of the table for the fist half of the season. They will rally in the second half of the season, and may stay up. If not, they will light up the first division.

El-Pietro
04/07/2016, 12:20 PM
Russell will have them bottom of the table for the fist half of the season. They will rally in the second half of the season, and may stay up. If not, they will light up the first division.

They'll light up the first division while still conceding a goal a game with a Premier Division squad.

pineapple stu
04/07/2016, 12:41 PM
Astonished to see Russell linked, Limerick may be flying now but they should be with a full time set up and a budget way in excess of any other first division club. But when it mattered last year he got them relegated.
In fairness, Russell won the First Division with us in his first season, ahead of Shels and Fingal and with a team that had less than 100 league appearances between them at the start of the season.

Then the next season, we were top half of the Premier. And then the budget got slashed and we started leaking goals...

But on balance, he's done ok in management so far; no reason he shouldn't be linked to the Rovers job.

Calcio Jack
04/07/2016, 12:59 PM
Rovers do appear to be at sea at the moment, best summed up by the final two sentences of their press release.

"There will be no further comment from the club on this matter.

A further statement will follow from the club in due course.”

Comments from club are very clear;

First comment means the club won't be making any further statements re exit of Fenlon.

Second comment means in due course the club will make a statement who is taking over as his replacement.

Hope that helps

Ezeikial
04/07/2016, 2:14 PM
Comments from club are very clear;

Obviously not

Otherwise it would not need your helpful clarification

mcgonigle
04/07/2016, 2:25 PM
No one really cares what the football is like when they're winning. O'Neills team were very effective but not great to watch and they were getting huge crowds.

Maybe, maybe not. We're still winning, going for 3 in a row but our crowds are down. Now is that to do with complacency or the fact that we're not tearing teams apart as often this season? Obviously we'll never know for sure but it amazes me that more people don't want to see this team, if you've supported the club for more than 10 years you'd walk over hot coals to see us dominate a game and win 1-0.

It seems that people won't show up if you lose regularly but are just as likely not to show up if you win regularly!

Charlie Darwin
04/07/2016, 2:39 PM
Again? Wasn't aware he was with Rovers before?
He worked with Liam Tuohy back when he was starting out. May have been his first job actually.

Ian Barraclough in with a shout I wonder?
If the fans weren't taken with Fenlon's style they're hardly going to get behind Baraclough's.

Oh there were plenty of Rovers who wanted him out as he was winning titles too. 'I've been going to Rovers 40 years but this is the worst I've ever seen us play...' types. As we're beating Partizan Belgrade. Overall you're right though, but the difference is Rovers fans would respond even to a team who create chances but lose. The trouble since MON left is we have these teams who bumble their way creating one or two chances a game.

PartySaint
04/07/2016, 3:56 PM
He worked with Liam Tuohy back when he was starting out. May have been his first job actually.

His 'time in purgatory' as he recently called it, he also tends to refer to Rovers as 'that lot', so I doubt he'll be taking the job ;)

I hope Russell gets the job, terrible manager who can't coach teams on how to defend.

Charlie Darwin
04/07/2016, 4:28 PM
Yeah, he'd never take any job at Rovers unless it was Chief Sabotage Officer. Actually maybe he might take the manager's job.

I'm fairly sure there was some disagreement in his time at Rovers relating to the international teams or something that soured his relationship, and then obviously his association with Pats sealed it.

Longfordian
04/07/2016, 4:37 PM
Cheers Charles. I did not know that and nor did Wikipedia when I went to check.

Nesta99
04/07/2016, 5:22 PM
New CEO, new members on the board that are not elected by the membership(?), new manager at some point now so all change in Tallaght and it seems the old guard of the 400 club have been broken up somewhat. Going from having an 'A' team in the 1st Division for 3 seasons to binning it after 1. 3 managers in 4 seasons (not including , Glass, Laws and Bailey now), sacking a manager with 2/3 of a season gone to giving the next man almost 2 full seasons, Fenlon almost the same so at least some little consistency here. Paying off managers, paying managers out on gardening leave and bringing a director of football (wierd one this to take on the additional cost, as not as if a desperate ploy was needed to stave off relegation. Croly in, I vaguely remember it was the amount of draws that really did the damage there and also he seemed just too nice to be Rovers manager - not enough of poking opposition managers in the chest! So after giving the job to a young up and coming manager tack is changed with a manager with a track record of winning titles albeit with hefty budgets. So where to now as it seem all angles have been tried. Gary McCabe is constant from SK's time to now so it is obviously all his fault!
There is the oddity of Croly being M'ONs assistant then, Magilton - was that the club/managers doing or did St Pats want a former club man back on board and then the main job was on offer?

As for the EL money, other threads have shown accounts of cash reserves being decimated over the last 3 years and chunks seem to coincide with managers being payed off...imo! So while the members model was always lauded as a success at Rovers, from the outside it seems as if a group within the members got a stranglehold of the club and seemed untouchable yet there was no cohesive strategy and the people on the board dont seem to be particularly held accountable for all the chopping and changing of direction. Anyway just my wandering thoughts on Rovers toing and froing and not going anywhere fast in any particular direction be it backing youth development ala Rovers A or handing reigns to a manager that's heavy on finances...Paul Doolin.....

Calcio Jack
04/07/2016, 5:46 PM
New CEO, new members on the board that are not elected by the membership(?), new manager at some point now so all change in Tallaght and it seems the old guard of the 400 club have been broken up somewhat. Going from having an 'A' team in the 1st Division for 3 seasons to binning it after 1. 3 managers in 4 seasons (not including , Glass, Laws and Bailey now), sacking a manager with 2/3 of a season gone to giving the next man almost 2 full seasons, Fenlon almost the same so at least some little consistency here. Paying off managers, paying managers out on gardening leave and bringing a director of football (wierd one this to take on the additional cost, as not as if a desperate ploy was needed to stave off relegation. Croly in, I vaguely remember it was the amount of draws that really did the damage there and also he seemed just too nice to be Rovers manager - not enough of poking opposition managers in the chest! So after giving the job to a young up and coming manager tack is changed with a manager with a track record of winning titles albeit with hefty budgets. So where to now as it seem all angles have been tried. Gary McCabe is constant from SK's time to now so it is obviously all his fault!
There is the oddity of Croly being M'ONs assistant then, Magilton - was that the club/managers doing or did St Pats want a former club man back on board and then the main job was on offer?

As for the EL money, other threads have shown accounts of cash reserves being decimated over the last 3 years and chunks seem to coincide with managers being payed off...imo! So while the members model was always lauded as a success at Rovers, from the outside it seems as if a group within the members got a stranglehold of the club and seemed untouchable yet there was no cohesive strategy and the people on the board dont seem to be particularly held accountable for all the chopping and changing of direction. Anyway just my wandering thoughts on Rovers toing and froing and not going anywhere fast in any particular direction be it backing youth development ala Rovers A or handing reigns to a manager that's heavy on finances...Paul Doolin.....

Keep on wandering aka obsessing and maybe someday you'll stumble across the truth... Or maybe you have !!👽

Nesta99
04/07/2016, 5:59 PM
To follow League of Ireland I think we are all obsessed or masochistic! Either way a health interest in the woes of other clubs is going to be based on often forlorn hopes that things are better at your own club. I'm sure Longfrod fans would give anything t be 4 th, managerless and a European game ahead and have fans of other clubs obsessed :)

Calcio Jack
04/07/2016, 6:26 PM
To follow League of Ireland I think we are all obsessed or masochistic! Either way a health interest in the woes of other clubs is going to be based on often forlorn hopes that things are better at your own club. I'm sure Longfrod fans would give anything t be 4 th, managerless and a European game ahead and have fans of other clubs obsessed :)

Couldn't agree more albeit the odd period of success helps which our respective clubs provide in a regular basis - can't imagine what it must be like to follow one of the lease lights but I certainly admire their fans perseverance

Mr A
04/07/2016, 6:27 PM
Trophies would only ruin it.

Nesta99
04/07/2016, 6:34 PM
5 pieces of silverware seem to have busted 4-600 peoples interest in Dundalk going on current attendances - thank Galway it wasnt a clean sweep.......