PDA

View Full Version : Lally set to be announced as manager

Patrick Dunne
25/01/2005, 12:24 PM
Stephen Lally is the new manager of Galway United. This was confirmed over the weekend. It was set to be announced at tonights forum, but unfortunately is in todays Sentinel. So much for the veil of secrecy !

According to the Sentinel, "Lal" saw off the challenge of five other candidates - Mark Herrick, Mike Kerley, Paul McGee, along with a candidate from Athlone and from Belfast.

Stephen has played over 300 games for GUFC (305 to be precise). Lal was a virtual ever-present in Uniteds glorious mid-eighties to mid-nineties heyday. He has an FAI medal, two League Cup medals, two First Division medals, two Shield medals and also represented the club in European competition. He also had a short spell with Leeds United and also played with Athlone Town for a brief period.

Stephen has managed local junior side Mervue United. He was assistant manager to Tony Mannion last year.

I wish Stephen well. He is a United legend and came from an era where the current underachievement and posturing would be considered unacceptable.
Good luck Stephen !

looping
25/01/2005, 12:32 PM
good luck lal!
damo

Terry
25/01/2005, 12:41 PM
good luck lal!
damo

good luck to you to damo! hope you score plenty of goals again this season.

pat/

does it say who his assist is?

Patrick Dunne
25/01/2005, 12:45 PM
.. although an attempt to lure Sean "Honestly, I played for Port Vale" Connor away from Sligo Rovers is unlikely. Connor was unavailable for comment as he is currently in Hawaii.

Terry
25/01/2005, 12:58 PM
.. although an attempt to lure Sean "Honestly, I played for Port Vale" Connor away from Sligo Rovers is unlikely. Connor was unavailable for comment as he is currently in Hawaii.
:D :D :D

Could you ask Niall to delay tonights forum as I will be 20-30 minutes late? Being an ex-player and all that, tell him a couple of the lads will be coming also!!

Patrick Dunne
25/01/2005, 1:06 PM
.. can you and your friends be there at, Terry ?

I'm sure we can delay proceedings by setting off a fire alarm.

Terry
25/01/2005, 1:15 PM
.. can you and your friends be there at, Terry ?

I'm sure we can delay proceedings by setting off a fire alarm.

between 8.15 and 8.30

make sure the covers are over the food before setting of the fire alarms!!! I don't care for soggy sandwiches !!

galwaygirl
25/01/2005, 1:16 PM
does it say who his assist is?
supposed to be someone within the club already Terry. so that rules out your Noel Mernagh theory :rolleyes:

Terry
25/01/2005, 1:17 PM
supposed to be someone within the club already Terry. so that rules out your Noel Mernagh theory :rolleyes:

it wasn't my theory it was the lads from the gfa!

Patrick Dunne
25/01/2005, 1:20 PM
.. apparently FotoNation GUISA manager Ronan Coleman has been linked with the assistant managers post. He has a load of badges !

Terry
25/01/2005, 1:24 PM
.. apparently FotoNation GUISA manager Ronan Coleman has been linked with the assistant managers post. He has a load of badges !

Who would run the club then ??? :D

gufct
25/01/2005, 1:46 PM

but dont take on that Roscommon Muck Savage Conan Roleman!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note at least all the speculation can stop now and the ship can be steadied and after tonight we can build on the work that is already done.

I managed to get 2 more outlets to take lotto books today and if everyone involved at the club incluling the players could sell a book it could net €70k/€100k a year.Ronan is doing a thankless job and needs people to assist him especially on Sunday nights.