PDA

View Full Version : Tom Field

Pages : [1] 2

TheOneWhoKnocks
03/07/2016, 2:53 PM
English born left-back made his debut for Brentford in a 3-0 win over Fulham at the tail end of the season.

Played for the U16's in friendly games back in 2012.

Haven't seen him mentioned anywhere.

Although his afternoon came to a premature end, the youngster impressed with virtually everything he did.

Speaking about his debut, Field said: “It's stuff dreams are made of. You can never imagine getting an assist and having a hand in another goal.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-field-describes-brentford-debut-11268093

Stuttgart88
03/07/2016, 7:44 PM
He's not very ambitious though is he? Not being able to imagine an assist. Aim higher kid.

Paddy Garcia
03/07/2016, 8:10 PM
I can see us fighting over the rightful ownership of The Field ............

TrapAPony
04/07/2016, 3:26 AM
https://s32.postimg.org/wolqzwazp/p12803_p_v8_ae.jpg

The Bull Keane would want to keep a close eye on Field before that outsider Southgate comes in and tries to take Field away from him.

Eminence Grise
04/07/2016, 8:50 AM
He's not very ambitious though is he? Not being able to imagine an assist. Aim higher kid.

But if he aimed higher he wouldn't have got the assist...

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/12/2016, 5:54 PM
Field of Dreams.

Field and Egan start for Brentford this evening.

O'Dowda on the bench for Bristol City.

liamoo11
13/12/2016, 7:28 PM
Hopefully gets 21 call up just back from injury I tink. His Twitter looks like he is one of ours but doesn't hate England so few lads on ybig will never want him capped . Bit of a Twitter exchange during the euros with him and his mate saying Stephen ward getting a game must give field hope for the future! That is confirmation for me

SkStu
13/12/2016, 8:52 PM
Hopefully gets 21 call up just back from injury I tink. His Twitter looks like he is one of ours but doesn't hate England so few lads on ybig will never want him capped . Bit of a Twitter exchange during the euros with him and his mate saying Stephen ward getting a game must give field hope for the future! That is confirmation for me

I think it gives all of us hope for the future :D :D

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/12/2016, 10:15 PM

Ward is a proven Premier League player and International who has played at two tournaments and scored a winner at Anfield.

Field would do well to have half the career Ward has had.

liamoo11
13/12/2016, 11:01 PM
Ward is a proven Premier League player and International who has played at two tournaments and scored a winner at Anfield.

Three quarters of a tournament and an assist at anfield ?

Charlie Darwin
14/12/2016, 3:25 AM

Agreed, but hopefully he will.

samhaydenjr
14/12/2016, 3:29 AM
Excellent news. So along with Corey O'Keeffe and Liam Kelly that's three young players who have made their Championship debuts in just the last few weeks. And hopefully Boyle and Horgan will get their shot at Preston within a month or so. I know it would be better if we had more Premier League players but at least we seem to be getting some serious depth at Championship level with a bunch of young players and late-ish bloomers starting to make their mark. Although we still really need a striker or two

Charlie Darwin
14/12/2016, 5:36 AM
Excellent news. So along with Corey O'Keeffe and Liam Kelly that's three young players who have made their Championship debuts in just the last few weeks. And hopefully Boyle and Horgan will get their shot at Preston within a month or so. I know it would be better if we had more Premier League players but at least we seem to be getting some serious depth at Championship level with a bunch of young players and late-ish bloomers starting to make their mark. Although we still really need a striker or two
Kelly made his first start a few months ago, but overall it's positive, you're right.

samhaydenjr
18/12/2016, 3:25 AM
Played 83 minutes of Brentford's loss at Leeds today

TrapAPony
26/12/2016, 1:49 PM
Started again today at left back v Cardiff

SkStu
07/01/2017, 2:55 PM
He's scored 2 goals today for Brentford v Eastleigh in the cup. They lead 5-1 at half time.

DeLorean
07/01/2017, 3:11 PM
Jeff Stelling got in on the pun action saying that Brentford are having a field day. :D

TheOneWhoKnocks
07/01/2017, 4:15 PM
Field of Dreams.

CraftyToePoke
07/01/2017, 8:31 PM
Outstanding in his Field.

paul_oshea
07/01/2017, 8:47 PM
A Farmer?

samhaydenjr
08/01/2017, 12:54 AM
Call him up MON! He really needs to be on the bench at least next time we take the...wait for it...Field!

Wangball
09/01/2017, 1:01 PM
I really can't wait to see Field, in the Green, on the Park!

Stuttgart88
09/01/2017, 6:27 PM
...ploughing up the touchline.

samhaydenjr
12/02/2017, 8:29 PM
In all the (understandable) furore over the three goals scored for Preston by their Irish contingent, it's well worth noting that Tom Field scored one of Brentford's goals, his first league goal and third of a season where he seems to have established him as first-choice left-back. Playing in one of our awkward positions, a call-up for a friendly could well be in order.

SkStu
12/02/2017, 8:45 PM
Sam, do you know if he remains committed to us? I see some U16 caps in 2012 and nothing since. Also no indication of any call ups for England.

samhaydenjr
13/02/2017, 2:28 AM
Sam, do you know if he remains committed to us? I see some U16 caps in 2012 and nothing since. Also no indication of any call ups for England.

Don't know, TBH. I guess that's all the more reason to track him closely, assess whether he's ready to move into the international team and make our case to him sooner rather than later. In general, that's one of the major medium-term tasks of the management team - to decide which players to blood in to the team using friendlies and further to ensure that talented players with other options don't slip through our fingers through neglect, but without showing favouritism over equally talented players who are solely Irish-qualified. By my reckoning, there are 20-25 players with five caps or fewer who seem to be established, even if recently, in Championship matchday squads, plus the Aberdeen duo who have a case to make for inclusion in squads for upcoming friendlies, or in a couple of cases, the upcoming qualifiers.

TheOneWhoKnocks
13/02/2017, 2:02 PM
If you build it, they will come.

OwlsFan
13/02/2017, 2:13 PM
If Field was called up, it would be pastures new for him

If friendlies are used primarily to blood potential players, as some say they should be, when does the actual team get a chance to play together other than in a competitive game ? That's the trouble with international football. Very little time to experiment.

DeLorean
13/02/2017, 2:28 PM
The Iceland game is an ideal opportunity for experimentation as it falls after the Wales game, similar to when he made 10/11 changes for USA after the Glasgow game. Doherty and/or Cunningham are surely more deserving of game time than Field at this point though?

SkStu
13/02/2017, 2:53 PM
Yeah - good point re Doherty and Cunningham.

TheOneWhoKnocks
14/02/2017, 2:00 PM
I concur.

O'Dowda plays there and Ward still has two campaigns in him.

Field is miles away from a call up, if he even wants one.

DeLorean
14/02/2017, 3:04 PM
O'Dowda fills in at left back sometimes, is it? Didn't know that.

Olé Olé
14/02/2017, 10:08 PM
Field has to be well down the pecking order for a senior call up. I think our real concern would be whether he's interested in the under 21 squad. That's the conversation point for me.

DeLorean
15/02/2017, 8:22 AM
O'Dowda fills in at left back sometimes, is it?

Okay Towk, no need to clarify. Thanks.

IsMiseSean
15/02/2017, 12:23 PM
Field has to be well down the pecking order for a senior call up. I think our real concern would be whether he's interested in the under 21 squad. That's the conversation point for me.

We play Kosovo on March 25th, so we'll find out in the next few weeks.
On current form he should have no issue making the squad if he's interested, but then again Noel King is still the manager.

TheOneWhoKnocks
15/02/2017, 12:26 PM
Okay Towk, no need to clarify. Thanks.

I thought it was a rhetorical question. Yes, he can.

DeLorean
15/02/2017, 12:38 PM
I was just curious as to whether he has played there often and if it was in his Oxford days or what?

Closed Account
15/02/2017, 1:02 PM

Technically anyone can play left back, but has he ever?

liamoo11
15/02/2017, 9:48 PM

I have stalked his twitter in the past and he certainly seems to associate with us.He never says he hates england though so we cant be sure

DannyInvincible
16/02/2017, 1:42 PM

Any evidence to support your assertion that O'Dowda plays at left back? When has he played there? I've never heard of it before, but great to hear of it now if true.

I have stalked his twitter in the past and he certainly seems to associate with us.He never says he hates england though so we cant be sure

Ha, what sort of thing has he been saying? Any example tweets?

DannyInvincible
16/02/2017, 2:06 PM
Just seeing these exchanges during the Euros with an under-16s coach at Charlton Athletic called Anthony Hayes. I'm guessing Hayes is Irish, based on his tweets.

These were tweeted before England's game against Wales:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/field_zps0u4xrsml.png

And these were tweeted before/during our game against France:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/field_zps7dbcvgjp.png

That last tweet would seem to suggest Field has his future sights set on Ward's place, or is definitely very much open to donning the green at senior level at least.

tetsujin1979
16/02/2017, 2:38 PM
Any evidence to support your assertion that O'Dowda plays at left back? When has he played there? I've never heard of it before, but great to hear of it now if true.

According to football-lineups - http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/81878/ - he's played all across the middle of the park, and up front, but no mention of him in defence

TheOneWhoKnocks
16/02/2017, 5:40 PM
I must have completely imagined it so.

I used to frequent an Oxford forum to track Patrick Hoban's progress. I could have sworn he played left full in a couple of games, but obviously not.

As for Tom Field, it looks like he's playing the field.

TheOneWhoKnocks
16/02/2017, 5:46 PM
Re: Field supporting Ireland during their Euro games, you would be hard pressed to find a Briton who didn't.

DannyInvincible
16/02/2017, 6:47 PM
Obviously, from our perspective, the most significant/interesting tweet above is the one where Field positively agrees that Stephen Ward's presence in the first-team as our only out-and-out left-back should give him a bit of hope for the future. I think it's pretty clear they're discussing a potential international future with Ireland given the flag, shamrock (or four-leaved clover even) and context.

Why completely ignore that? :confused:

CraftyToePoke
17/02/2017, 1:46 AM
Re: Field supporting Ireland during their Euro games, you would be hard pressed to find a Briton who didn't.

Even by your standards that's some stretch to spin it negatively.

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/02/2017, 1:31 PM
How is that spinning it negatively?

I have worked with Rangers fans who supported ROI over their opposition in the Euros.

Just like lots of us rooted for NI over their opposition in the Euros.

If England weren't there we would probably be most people's second team.

DannyInvincible
17/02/2017, 8:54 PM
How is that spinning it negatively?

Butter wouldn't melt...

C'mon, you know exactly what you're doing. Drop the act and don't play dumb.

The guy has played for us at under-age level, has voluntarily expressed support for us at the Euros and has also positively indicated that he has ambition or intent in terms of making our left-back slot his own, yet you ignore and degrade all that by pretty much saying, "Ah, sure he's British so he'd lend us some secondary support anyway."

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/02/2017, 9:48 PM
Butter wouldn't melt...

C'mon, you know exactly what you're doing. Drop the act and don't play dumb.

The guy has played for us at under-age level, has voluntarily expressed support for us at the Euros and has also positively indicated that he has ambition or intent in terms of making our left-back slot his own, yet you ignore and degrade all that by pretty much saying, "Ah, sure he's British so he'd lend us some secondary support anyway."

There's no need for that.

He also expressed his support for England on Twitter before his "Ireland to win" tweet. I am merely taking that into account.

It's hard to know if you are serious sometimes.

It was a person called Anthony Hayes who made reference to Stephen Ward, not Tom Field.

You do know that, right?

DannyInvincible
17/02/2017, 10:06 PM
He also expressed his support for England on Twitter before his "Ireland to win" tweet. I am merely taking that into account.

He was born and raised in England. Hardly a surprise he might support England too. It doesn't negate his positive sentiment for Ireland or his apparent interest in playing for us at senior level.

It was a person called Anthony Hayes who made reference to Stephen Ward, not Tom Field.

You do know that, right?

Yeah, and Field responded in agreement unambiguously that, "definitely", Stephen Ward gives him a bit of hope for the future. What do you think Field is talking about in that final tweet? He even added a shamrock, just in case it wasn't obvious enough. I see no reason to think that Field would turn down an invitation to join our squad if he was offered one. I think the signs look pretty good from our perspective and he's someone who could provide strength in depth in what has been a long-term problem-position for us.