PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

Pages : [1] 2

outspoken
03/07/2016, 12:14 PM
Disappointed with the lack of reaction to another defeat on here last night although I suppose everyone is just fed up of repeating themselves and I can't blame them. 13 years following De Town and I've never been more disillusioned in my life. It's heartbreaking to see what's going on out there. Will we have anything bar a handful of loyal die hards left by the time we are relegated? Why can't the club see what's going on, do they even care!

Town Legend
03/07/2016, 1:05 PM
You are right about people been fed up repeating themselves. Hanley seems to be the only person who doesn't see what's happening. As far as I'm aware Munnelly wanted Cousins removed after the year we threw the First Division away.

Where do we go from here you ask? Well I can see Munnelly pulling the plug, we'll get relegated and retain Cousins and the club will be go the way of Fingal and Monaghan. Sad times.

outspoken
03/07/2016, 1:40 PM
You are right about people been fed up repeating themselves. Hanley seems to be the only person who doesn't see what's happening. As far as I'm aware Munnelly wanted Cousins removed after the year we threw the First Division away.

Where do we go from here you ask? Well I can see Munnelly pulling the plug, we'll get relegated and retain Cousins and the club will be go the way of Fingal and Monaghan. Sad times.

What really f*cked me off last night was walking out of the ground and the usual suspects on the board standing there with Hanley all with big smiles on their faces chatting away with each other. WTF could they possibly be smiling about? The fact that more and more loyal supporters are turning their back on the club! Even if we get out of this mess they've f*cked so many people over and it's hard to see things getting better any time soon. I'm totally fed up with the whole thing.

Martinho II
03/07/2016, 4:45 PM
wot really surprised me Outspoken was the lack of action after the COUSINS OUT flag was unhurled.Its as if the club are laughing at us. Is your website shut down for good now?With every passing week the crowd is getting less and less. Tbh I started goin to matches in Abbeycartron with crowds less than there is now so I am well used to it. Longford regardless of any sport is a bandwagon county. The thing that intruiged me last nite was in the second half there was noone from section O that stand there. Me and Sorbos younger brother and his nephews in the first half but we moved in the second half. Where has the bandhoppers in Section O gone to? I wont be helping the club anymore so they can **** off. I will be thinking of myself in future.

Longfordian
03/07/2016, 6:22 PM
Lads calm down with all the Hanley this and Hanley that. The man deserves a bit of respect, we'd never have done anything close to what we have in the past fifteen years without him and would more than likely be out of business long ago. Not to say that you can't disagree with his decisions but it's important to retain some perspective. Munnelly has been good but still doesn't come anywhere near what Jim Hanley has put in.

Town Legend
03/07/2016, 6:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, Hanley has done a lot of good for the club but we are talking in the present here and serious action needs to be taken. I really worry for the clubs future if we go down. More so now than when we went down the last time. The crowds are dire and a lot of it has to do with the crap from Cousins. He needs to go....but I have a feeling he could be gone after the Dundalk game if we lose. Any chance Rovers will come after him?!!!!

Longfordian
03/07/2016, 6:59 PM
Yes I understand the annoyance with how things are going and nobody's ever right all of the time but I think the criticism is almost getting personal with people commenting on what they observe him doing after matches etc. Like it or not Cousins achieved the targets he was set every year until now and has apparently been a very easy manager to deal with so if he's reluctant to fire him I can understand why, though I don't necessarily agree myself.

outspoken
03/07/2016, 8:04 PM
wot really surprised me Outspoken was the lack of action after the COUSINS OUT flag was unhurled.Its as if the club are laughing at us. Is your website shut down for good now?With every passing week the crowd is getting less and less. Tbh I started goin to matches in Abbeycartron with crowds less than there is now so I am well used to it. Longford regardless of any sport is a bandwagon county. The thing that intruiged me last nite was in the second half there was noone from section O that stand there. Me and Sorbos younger brother and his nephews in the first half but we moved in the second half. Where has the bandhoppers in Section O gone to? I wont be helping the club anymore so they can **** off. I will be thinking of myself in future.

Personally I think a proper protest needs to be organised. Get a group of 20 lads over to section O and display banners for 90 minutes. As for your bandwagon comments, why on earth would anyone come out and watch De Town? The club don't seem to care whether we stay up or not so why should your average Joe? I'm going 13 years and feel no connection to the club anymore so how can you expect your local Barstooler to have any interest? I don't blame anyone for staying away and that's exactly what il be doing on Tuesday. Can't justify taking a day off work, putting money in the tank, paying 15 in and then watching us get spanked without any passion at all.

hollocaine
04/07/2016, 9:20 AM
Despite long being a TC supporter, even I’ve come to accept enough is enough. The sight of Don coming on for Davy in a ‘tactical’ switch was a new low. Don, like many of his teammates, has been woeful this season. Davy is one of the few players trying to make things happen (which can’t be easy with the ramblings being shouted at him from the dugout).

In the 2nd half, the only player trying to rally the team on Saturday was Rhys. He was the one doing the captain’s job. The rest were mute. And despite losing to arguably the worst Bohs team I’ve seen in almost 20 years following the LOI, I didn’t feel too disappointed as such poor Town performances have become the norm.

Having a record of 5 draws and 11 defeats from the last 16 matches is unacceptable. It’s a terrible reflection on a club with a great ground. The pitch looked excellent on Saturday and I think we should never take for granted how impressive the clubhouse is.

Assuming we don’t see a miracle in Oriel tomorrow, then it’s time for a change of manager after it. Not so much to have for looking ahead to the Derry game, but to the two massive home games that follow. Attendances for those will be poor, so let’s not dwell on that. A new voice in the dressing room is what’s needed to get these players going and entice some new recruits in.

Presuming that he won’t mind leaving Alan Cawley behind in RTE, then Trevor Croly is the best man to come in. And I can go back to being a ‘TC’ supporter again!

sparkey
04/07/2016, 12:00 PM
Lads what is happening at the club at the moment is scandalous. If Jim Hanley wasn’t around the club may well have folded long ago. But just like players and managers, Jim has to look at now and the future. Past glories are gone. Action is required now!!.
Unless they have looked around and nobody else wants the job it is amazing that leading into the Transfer window after the Finn Harps defeat that we don’t have a new manager.
Personally I have been following the Town since we entered the league under Charlie Walker. With the exception of when John Cleary and Mickey O Connor were in charge I would be at most home matches and a lot of away games. Nowadays a home game costs me €35, with two kids in toe and a few quid spent in the clubhouse. My kids love going out to the games, but until there is a change in the dugout I wont be back this season.

Martinho II
04/07/2016, 10:36 PM
look Jim Hanley was great for us but there comes a time when you outstay your welcome and I think its time for him to go. Personally he doenst have the same passion for the club as he used to do and he doesnt go to away matches any more like he used to do.Its not personal but for the good of the club he has to go along with Cousins.. it is no fluke that the unhappiness with the club has being goin on a good few years.. Its breaking my heart what is going on. I will always go to matches but the more I go the more unhappy and frustrated and annoyed I get. The club used to be good at PR but not anymore. Its a culture club with them now!

outspoken
04/07/2016, 11:15 PM
Marty if Jim was to leave that would be the club GONE. It's a new fresh board full of young blood that's needed. The only other option would be if Munnelly took over but what happens after he's gone? Jim Hanley has stuck loyal with us and God forbid the day he's not able to do that anymore id be hopefully someone in the family would carry it on. The only criticism of Jim would be his blind faith in cousins but as a chairman he's been more than good to this club and I wouldn't had a bad word to say about him after that.

Martinho II
05/07/2016, 3:51 PM
fair enough Outspoken but if I was in Hanleys shoes I would do what the English board did at the euros give him a target to aim for and if he doesnt make the target then dont renew his contract!

sparkey
06/07/2016, 1:08 PM
To be fair Marty Cousins has hit all targets set for him by the board, bar this season. That seems to be the only reason that the board are staying loyal to him, in the hope that he gets us out of this mess. Which unfortunately in my opinion he wont.

outspoken
16/07/2016, 1:54 PM
The lack of talk on here says it all. We have accepted our fate.

Martinho II
16/07/2016, 3:45 PM
The lack of talk on here says it all. We have accepted our fate.

first time postin on this. was at game last nite. these three new signings werent much addition at all. Coulter looked nervous and under pressure at least 3 times from a goalkick hit it into touch! it summed it up when there was no communication between Flynner and Coulter for the fourth goal and Derry couldnt miss. Dsane is lazy and did nothing all nite. I wasnt that gone on the other new name and for the life of me I cant think of his name.

Kevin O Connor yet again was exceptionally poor for us. fair enough for his first yellow card the ball was hit at his hand and he couldnt avoid it at close range. for his second yellow I thought it was cynical of him to knock the opposition player down. Flynn was terrible. yet again no leadership from Powell. none of the rest who played or came on as sub did nothing except for Kaleem Simon who worked hard up front and should have scored. as for Lee Duffy he was one on one on Ger doherty and didnt even attempt to kick it!

the sooner we are confirmed relegated there has to be clean sweep of everything ie players, management and staff and the board as everything stinks to high heaven. the only reason I came up to the Brandywell was cos I know we will not be up there for years to come so I thought I might as well stay overnight and get away from Longford for a change!

outspoken
16/07/2016, 4:00 PM
Apparently KOC has been playing with an injury all season, says it about the lack of depth in the squad that Tony will keep picking an injured player if true. Sligo could be a massacre next weekend with Daniel Kearns running down the wing for them.

RonnieB
17/07/2016, 2:24 PM
We are ****ed. Bray winning again, Wexford have a game in hand on us. Our only hope now in my opinion is to try catch Wexford. We can forget about Bray.

Martinho II
17/07/2016, 4:30 PM
We are ****ed. Bray winning again, Wexford have a game in hand on us. Our only hope now in my opinion is to try catch Wexford. We can forget about Bray.

dont think we will catch wexford at all tbh.. if you dont take your chances we dont deserve to stay up in my opinion..

L.T.F.C.
17/07/2016, 11:20 PM
I cannot believe this is happening. At least in 07, we had heart, fight and thoroughly enjoyable season. Now, we have nothing. I haven't been to many games, but very few players are up to the task. I'm sad.

outspoken
18/07/2016, 10:57 AM
Can't see anything other than a thumping on Saturday and being outnumbered 3/1 by away fans. Sad times.

Martinho II
18/07/2016, 4:49 PM
I think Galway Utd from 2011 have the record for the least points in a season.. I cant remember the exact stats but I think their GD was brutal far worse than ours and they only won one game all season! maybe the Galway lads will confirm this for me pls?

pineapple stu
18/07/2016, 4:52 PM
Galway conceded well over 100 goals that season - and won their only game early on too.

Kilkenny in the late 90s had an awful season too. 9 points all told. (And let's not forget their 2-point season earlier in the decade)

outspoken
18/07/2016, 4:58 PM
If we are to double our points total between now and seasons end, what do the stats of previous years look like?

Martinho II
18/07/2016, 4:58 PM
Galway conceded well over 100 goals that season - and won their only game early on too.

Kilkenny in the late 90s had an awful season too. 9 points all told. (And let's not forget their 2-point season earlier in the decade)

how many points did Galway get in the end Pineapple?

atfconline
18/07/2016, 5:13 PM
If we are to double our points total between now and seasons end, what do the stats of previous years look like?

You are worse off points-wise than we were after 19 games in 2014. We had 11 points, but were 6 points behind the team above us.

We finished the season on 22 points, with UCD above us on 25 and Bray on 26.

pineapple stu
18/07/2016, 5:28 PM
how many points did Galway get in the end Pineapple?
Six.

So Kilkenny are ye're next targets.

outspoken
18/07/2016, 8:43 PM
You are worse off points-wise than we were after 19 games in 2014. We had 11 points, but were 6 points behind the team above us.

We finished the season on 22 points, with UCD above us on 25 and Bray on 26.

Wexford have a game in hand and given how poor pats have been and if they are still in Europe come then their mind maybe elsewhere so wouldn't surprise me to see Wexford pick up a point. Lose on Saturday we are as good as officially gone

gufc2000
18/07/2016, 8:54 PM
In fairness in 2011 we basically had a junior team (4-5 local pro players aside) out fulfilling our fixtures from June on. GUST were left to pick up the pieces and only for them the club would have folded during the year.

We had a decent first four games that year, lost 3-0 to Pats, lost 3-2 to Dundalk, drew 0-0 with UCD, and beat Bohs 1-0. We went on to lose 35 out of the next 36 matches, including Cockhill Celtic in the EA Sports Cup, Dundalk in the FAI Cup and both play-off matches to Monaghan. We also conceded 115 league goals and ended up with a GD of -95.

At least Longford's situation is rectifiable.

RiffRaff
18/07/2016, 10:22 PM
The Town's first season on the league was quite depressing. This one is up there with it though

outspoken
18/07/2016, 11:14 PM
Tonight Cousins said if we don't win our next 2 games we are realistically relegated. If we lose on Saturday he should be sacked there and then. You can't keep coming out with comments like that and expect there to be no consequences. Will the club have the b@lls to do it tho? Doubt it.

Darklordsbane
24/07/2016, 6:14 AM
Ltfc v Sligo
That was the best I've seen us play for a while, I thought the midfield did a great defensive job in stopping Sligo creating very much at all, and also protecting the back 4,
on Sligo's 2nd goal I thought Coulter should have reset the wall after the ref moved it back to the 10 yards, I couldn't believe he didn't (the angle had completely changed) not sure about him at all, but it was the first time I've seen him play,
I don't normally think much of Powell but I thought it was his best game for a long time
again we fought back from going behind
I would start the same midfield against Galway to stop them as most of their play goes through the middle
a well earned point but I felt we could have won

outspoken
24/07/2016, 9:40 AM
Really happy leaving the ground for once last night, a hard fought display but yes we should have won against a very poor Sligo team. Back 4 and goalkeeper still leaking easy goals. I couldn't believe coulter didn't reset the wall either it was all over the place. He never opened his mouth once all night or came off his line, the Sligo fans i was standing next to were laughing at us for signing him in the first place. Cousins obvuisly realises the mistake he's made as he tried to sign Barry Murphy from Rovers last week but Murphy didn't want to travel to Longford according to TC on Shannonside. If we can stop leaking silly goals we can turn this around as we have the strikers to do it, although I do think Sully should be starting we look a far better team with him on the pitch.

Martinho II
24/07/2016, 5:03 PM
Cousins obvuisly realises the mistake he's made as he tried to sign Barry Murphy from Rovers last week but Murphy didn't want to travel to Longford according to TC on Shannonside. If we can stop leaking silly goals we can turn this around as we have the strikers to do it, although I do think Sully should be starting we look a far better team with him on the pitch.

i cant kept up with cousins any more tbh.. If Barry Murphy had signed would Coulter have left? Also I am surprised to see Mark Hughes playin last nite. did his transfer to St Mochtas fall thro?

Darklordsbane
24/07/2016, 6:35 PM
i cant kept up with cousins any more tbh.. If Barry Murphy had signed would Coulter have left? Also I am surprised to see Mark Hughes playin last nite. did his transfer to St Mochtas fall thro?

few can Martinho,
Cousins was on the radio saying Hughes was outstanding and that if he believed in himself more Cousins thinks he could be the best midfielder in the league, well lets hope Cousins is finally right about something, we definitely need good midfielders

outspoken
24/07/2016, 7:51 PM

Different Marc Hughes Marty. Hughes was excellent last night, shows the decision to play him RB all season was madness. Cousins just stumbling on tactics as he goes

Martinho II
25/07/2016, 4:28 PM
Different Marc Hughes Marty. Hughes was excellent last night, shows the decision to play him RB all season was madness. Cousins just stumbling on tactics as he goes

so whos this Marc Hughes then?

Longfordian
25/07/2016, 5:02 PM
Are the new lads showing any signs of promise? A goal won't do any harm for Dsane anyway.

outspoken
25/07/2016, 7:01 PM
Are the new lads showing any signs of promise? A goal won't do any harm for Dsane anyway.

Coulter is fu(King sh1te. Yann was at fault for the first goal but grew in confidence as the game went on. Dsane runs about and I'm sure il be slammed for saying this but he doesn't look up to much, maybe Hel develop into a good player and I hope he does but technically sully and Duffy are better players.

Town Legend
25/07/2016, 7:45 PM
Sully technically better?? Sully's first touch is woeful and the only time he looks threatening is when he's played in over the top.

Longfordian
25/07/2016, 8:33 PM
Cousins made the fair point that they wouldn't be match fit yet so hopefully they'll improve.

outspoken
25/07/2016, 9:06 PM
Sully has a fantastic first touch when his confidence is up however sadly over the past 2 seasons cousins has slowly but surely drained that out of him and he's become a bit part player for long periods.

Darklordsbane
26/07/2016, 4:58 AM
Sully has a fantastic first touch when his confidence is up however sadly over the past 2 seasons cousins has slowly but surely drained that out of him and he's become a bit part player for long periods.

this is the season that you are referring too 2014 first division

Team Name

Home and Away

P

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pd

Pts

Longford Town (http://extratime.ie/squads/15/)

Sully or any of the strikers haven't had a play maker since then, and we lost 4 matches yes 4, I still think Gorman could make a difference for the rest of the season back in midfield, as he was then, I would like to see Hughes and Gorman play together with whoever you fancy yourself with O Connor as an impact sub for 20 odd minutes
What have we got to lose, we have to take a gamble and do something, we did ok against Sligo but draws won't catch Bray the best we can hope for at the moment is a play-off

outspoken
26/07/2016, 9:37 AM
The goal is to stay up not cafe bray let it be a play off or not to achieve that no one cares, we'd all take a play off now. Gorman was our best player the other night faultless throughout he is a CB now not a CM player. Agree that we have no playmaker, can you imagine Ryan Connolly in this team

Olander
30/07/2016, 11:27 PM
Longford were unlucky not to win tonight - we were terrible in the first half particularly. We only played for around 20 minutes in the second half. You were a lot more impressive than Wexford Youths against us and I can see you picking up enough points to get the playoff place.

outspoken
30/07/2016, 11:33 PM
Galway had enough chances to win comfortably tonight but lacking that needle up front strangely enough given Faherty's from. Ludden was putting in crosses begging to be put in and only for poor finishing from Curran in particular it could have been at least 3 or 4-1. Yeah we missed chances too and the ball didn't bounce our way at times but when you allow man to stand free on the edge of the box and pass the ball into the net you don't deserve anything. Everyone in the stand was roaring at cousins to put someone on the Galway player but amazingly himself and his coaching staff couldn't see it and we paid the price. Rumours were if we lost tonight there was going to be a vote on Tuesday as to whether cousins stays or not, why should that change? They haven't a f*cking clue

Olander
30/07/2016, 11:38 PM
I honestly think you're being slightly harsh, you bossed the first half and created all the chances. It isnt by luck that players like Connolly were kept quiet, you played well. After you scored, you took your foot off the gas and I agree Ludden made a huge difference for us, which is strange because hes a fullback, not a winger. There was some poor finishing from us, but you also couldve stolen it at the end as well to be fair. On the whole I think if we won, it wouldve been robbery and a draw was fair.

outspoken
31/07/2016, 9:07 AM
I never felt like we were going to win the game once we conceded.

Darklordsbane
31/07/2016, 11:24 AM
I never felt like we were going to win the game once we conceded.

Neither did I, I couldn't believe no one ran to close down either the pass from the free kick or especially the shot that scored the goal basic school boy errors (not the first time we have conceded from similar plays)
While Coulter did really well for a couple of saves I thought he was very poor on the whole,
not much end product from Cowan for all he running about looking busy, but to be fair at least he won some headers,

I don't know why Dillon was taken off but we missed him when he went and also Mc glynn, Connolly did nothing in midfield when they were in midfield and as a result neither did Galway the match turned with the changes and not in a good way,
probably another very valuable point and at least we played a bit and didn't lose
That's the way I saw it anyway

outspoken
31/07/2016, 12:59 PM
Dillon was injured he was getting treatment on the bench when he went off. Gannon was pathetic when he came on, pulling out of tackles like he does every week and hiding from the ball. I know he's not a young player but he's here a year now and every single week he's pulling out of tackles and not wanting the ball. I personally believe that's because he's playing as a defensive midfielder even tho he can't tackle, I think he has the brain to play much higher up the park where at least if he loses the ball there's no damage done and Hel want to get on it more and pick passes out, like he done for Josh's goal in the first game down in Wexford.

We were never ever ever going to keep a clean sheet so why he didn't take Eddie off and put sully and Duffy on with 30 minutes left and not 15 minutes is beyond me. Same script every week, leave the lads on the bench until it's too late for them to get into the game.

If Wexford win on Monday its curtains for us. Agree with you that coulter made good saves but his overall game is atrocious as you said. Afraid to come off the line, which almost cost us at the very end, and won't communicate with his back 4, not that any of the rest of the team communicate with each other anyway. We've no leader at all.