PDA

View Full Version : Keano off To Man City?

sligoman
25/01/2005, 11:04 AM
TOTTENHAM are ready to offer £10million plus Ireland International record goal-scoring striker Robbie Keane, for City star Shaun Wright-Phillips, according to a report.

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=14531&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah news of the world , very reliable source then, Not. Wont happen, well not the Keane going to Man City bit anyway.

tetsujin1979
25/01/2005, 12:15 PM
I dunno about that, Keegan made some very public noises about wanting to sign Robbie Keane when he was still at Leeds, after Man City got promoted 3 seasons ago, before Anelka was signed and his name's cropped up a few times since. While I can't see SWP getting sold at the moment, it could be more of a possibility in the summer.

Peadar
25/01/2005, 1:05 PM
TOTTENHAM are ready to offer £10million plus Ireland International record goal-scoring striker Robbie Keane, for City star Shaun Wright-Phillips, according to a report.

W-P is destined for Arsenal.
There's not a hope in hell that his step father would allow him join spurs!
Ashley Cole said they're always teasing him at England training camps about when he's going to be joining them at Arsenal.
I don't think it would be a bad move for Robbie though.
Spurs can have Macken.

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 1:19 PM
Absolute Rubbish Spurs are a much better side than city their manager is far superior. Spurs dont have the cash problems that city have. If it were not for wright phillips they would be struggling against relegation. Take him out of the side at the moment. Keane has moved around too much throughout his career and he is finally at a club where i believe he can stay a long time. SPurs have 3 excellent strikers and you need that in this day and age and Robbie is one of those 3 and what is great for Spurs is that they are 3 different types of players.

Peadar
25/01/2005, 1:37 PM
Keane has moved around too much throughout his career and he is finally at a club where i believe he can stay a long time. SPurs have 3 excellent strikers and you need that in this day and age and Robbie is one of those 3 and what is great for Spurs is that they are 3 different types of players.

If you heard all the talk over here you wouldn't feel too positive about Keane lasting at Spurs. They want someone better and know that they'll have to sacrifice a forward player, which everyone seems to agree should/will be Keane. They love Defoe.
Spurs are a mere 2 points above City with both teams having scored the same number of goals.

I love the way people claim that Martin Jol is a great manager when he's clearly done nothing to back up this assertion.
Nice performance against Palace there Martin! :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 1:53 PM
One game against palace you would not be an Arsenal supporter then. Keegan has proved time and time again that he is a muppet. Jol is highly regarded in Holland and Man Utd were going to give him the Asst job only he was too fat. Since then he has lost 3 stone. I know it is early days to saying he is a great manager but speaking as an Ireland fan first and foremost I woud prefer if keane can be coached by Jol rather than keegan. That is my view, I think Kevin Keegan must be one of the most tactically inept managers i have ever seen. Added to that the long term problems that City have regarding money and I honestly believe that it would nto be a good move for Robbie and or Ireland for him to go to many City.

Peadar
25/01/2005, 2:02 PM
Jol is highly regarded in Holland.

Aparently Bertie Vogts is highly regarded in Germany. :D

All I'm saying to you is that Keane may not have a choice.
He is very likely to be used in a bid for another player.

Karlos
25/01/2005, 2:10 PM
It always amazes me how people label Keegan tactically inept. Granted he may be a bit cavellier at times in his approach but this man's team have already taken 3 points off Chelsea, got a draw at Highbury and whipped Man Utd at home last season. Surely the fine defensive counter attacking performances at home to Chelsea and away at Arsenal deserve recognition - something Spurs should look at having conceded 7 goals against the same two teams this season (tactical genius Jol take note?), and definetly the results were down to Keegan's approach to the game tactically.

If Keegan's tactically inept where does that leave the Great Sir Alex, Arsene and Jose who have all suffered at the hands of his teams in recent times. You can only work with the players you have and considering the players at Spurs they should be well ahead of City - they aren't and that's not all Santini's fault.

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 2:11 PM
You just said in a post above that Wright Phillips so why are you disagreeing with me here. You dont think taht Wrigh phillips will go to spurs yet do u still think that Keane will go to City and who will spurs buy from city and use keane to finance it.

Karlos
25/01/2005, 2:14 PM
Jol is highly regarded in Holland and Man Utd were going to give him the Asst job only he was too fat. .

Instead they gave the job to the tactically inept Carlos Querioz, that is if you judge the ability to win nothing with the greatest collection of Footballers at your disposal as being unable to cut the mustard tactically ;)

I am joking by the way! :)

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 2:27 PM
Did I once call jol a tactical genius no so why use that word to argue you your point or is it the old tactic of exagerrating someone elses argument to the point that it makes it look ridiculous. Its the oldest trick in the book. City have had some good results in recent times. But I would rather take keegans career as a whole as one off games can always be used to back up points esp if you choose the games that suit your argument. The fact is keegan had a fortune to spend at Newcaslte and won nothing. He was the England manager and was out of his dept at that level. It is not just me who has argued this by Johnny Giles has for a long time stated that Keegan is a nice guy but at the highest level he does not have it to be a top manager that is why I would ask, in all the time he has managed how many trophies has he won.

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 2:31 PM
I would just like to say who here thinks that Robbie Keane going to Man City woudl be better than him staying at Spurs and state your reason s why. That was my original point and anything else is going off the point.

Peadar
25/01/2005, 2:38 PM
You dont think taht Wrigh phillips will go to spurs yet do u still think that Keane will go to City and who will spurs buy from city and use keane to finance it.

Don't know if this was directed at me.

There are more teams in the world than Manchester City.
Spurs could make a bid for a player from any one of a number of teams and use Keane as a bargaining tool.
So to sum up, I do think that Keane will leave Spurs before the start of next season. I don't think that S W-P will go to Spurs in the near future.

Karlos
25/01/2005, 2:42 PM
But I would rather take keegans career as a whole as one off games can always be used to back up points esp if you choose the games that suit your argument. The fact is keegan had a fortune to spend at Newcaslte and won nothing. He was the England manager and was out of his dept at that level. It is not just me who has argued this by Johnny Giles has for a long time stated that Keegan is a nice guy but at the highest level he does not have it to be a top manager that is why I would ask, in all the time he has managed how many trophies has he won.

Ok seeing as you mentioned Newcastle, let's have a look at what Keegan did at Newcastle during his time there. Takes over club with them 3rd from Bottom in the first division. Saves club from relegation. Gets them promoted as Champions following year ensuring a spending budget. Consolidates place in Premier League. Brings unfancied squad to within a whisker of a championship becoming a neutral's favourite for their style of play along the way. That's not selective mate, those be FACTS!

As far as England goes, I don't believe he's done any worse than Taylor, Hoddle or Erikson for that matter and at least should be commended for realising that he couldn't take the team any further and no one has done so since either.

Do I think he's the best coach in the world - no. Do I think he knows nothing about top level football and is totally and utterly tactically inept - certainly not. :D

Just like being a top class player doesn't make you a great coach - the exact same can be said of being a great pundit! take a bow Mr. Giles! :D

Macy
25/01/2005, 2:42 PM
I would just like to say who here thinks that Robbie Keane going to Man City woudl be better than him staying at Spurs and state your reason s why.
It would be funny seeing the siddy fans crying over SWP? :D

Karlos
25/01/2005, 2:45 PM
I would just like to say who here thinks that Robbie Keane going to Man City woudl be better than him staying at Spurs and state your reason s why. That was my original point and anything else is going off the point.

In all seriousness - if staying at spurs means sitting on the bench then Keane should go to City. On paper Spurs look like they have a better squad than City but the table doesn't lie and Spurs ar no better off in reality. Keano needs to play regulary and while his international record is fantastic you have to wonder why so many coaches move him off time after time if indeed that is the case again with Jol.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2005, 2:48 PM
I have to say I think Keegan's a cretin. He's totally out of his depth in the premier league and that's saying something as there are some pretty brutal coaches in England. How Steve McLaren is rated is beyond me.

If Robbie leaves Spurs it won't be as a make-weight. Maybe he'll go somewhere like Everton, but only because they want him outright. Wright-Phillips will go to Arsenal on his dad's advice I reckon so it'll be academic.

I think Spurs finally have a good coach for a change and I think he values Robbie, though not as much as Defoe.

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 4:21 PM
Robbie Keane has played 17 leagues games this season and been a sub in 5. He has played 1 FA Cup game and 3 League cup games. and one as a sub so i dont see this thing of him sitting on the bench. Do not see where people are thinking that he will be not getting his game at spurs or that Jol does not rate him. The way i see it is Spurs have 3 strikers as you need in any team and keane is a vital part of that. Why should he move to City with a record like this for the season

26(6) 14 1 0

eirebhoy
25/01/2005, 4:25 PM
If Kanoute was fit Keane would most likely be on the bench whether we agree with it or not.

NeilMcD
25/01/2005, 4:31 PM
Yes but how often in a season do u have all 3 strikers fully fit and on form together, it does not work like that so that is why there is plenty of chanes for him to play and rattle up over 30 games a season for spurs which is plenty if he wants to be playing for Ireland and remain sharp.

eirebhoy
25/01/2005, 4:53 PM
BTW, its an absolute cert that Spurs will sign a striker in this window.

Karlos
25/01/2005, 5:50 PM
Robbie Keane has played 17 leagues games this season and been a sub in 5. He has played 1 FA Cup game and 3 League cup games. and one as a sub so i dont see this thing of him sitting on the bench. Do not see where people are thinking that he will be not getting his game at spurs or that Jol does not rate him. The way i see it is Spurs have 3 strikers as you need in any team and keane is a vital part of that.

Agreed but as I said 'IF' it means that when Kanoute and Defoe are fit and Spurs bring in a new striker as the rumours seem to be suggesting and Keano finds himself fourth choice, then he should by all means move to a club who are only 2 points worse off and will have their bank issues sorted by the sale of SWP.

Nobody here has said Jol doesn't rate him, he obviously does but it seems he rates Dafoe and Kanoute higher & he might just rate another stiker higher than Robbie also if rumours are to be believed.

Spurs fans I've talked to in London see it that if one has to go it will be Keane and not one of the other too, they might be wrong but that's the suggestion. Alot of Spurs fans 'i know' complain about Robbie's inconsistancy, brilliant one week, non-existant the next. Thankfully with Ireland, we generally get to see the best of him - he's had far too many clubs for a player his age and it will be a big kick in the gonads for him 'IF' spurs do decide to sacrifice him. Their won't be a problem as long as it's 3 strikers at the club, the problem will come with the forth striker.

Slash/ED
25/01/2005, 6:10 PM
Spurs should be more worried about hanging onto Defoe, Keane may be the only one they have soon. I think that's the main reason they're trying to get a striker in, I'd be amazed if by this time next year Defoe was a Spurs player.

Beavis
26/01/2005, 12:01 AM
Talk about musical chairs, swapping Man City for Spurs and vice versa. Don't think either SWP or RK would see either move as great for their career. Spurs and City are pretty average midtable teams.
Agreed.For starters,SWP is one of the best palyers in England with arguable the greatest potential,the last place he would want to go is nothing Spurs.

Keane is very inconsistent at the moment but a move would result in just the same problems he has with Spurs.It would be more sensible to continue to fight for a position and try to regain the form which he showed in earlier years,which in honesty we now only see rare glimpse of.

pete
26/01/2005, 8:38 AM
Robbie Keane isn't producing the performances which is why he rumourd for the chop. Says it all really that Kanoute would get in ahead of hium if fit.

tetsujin1979
26/01/2005, 9:31 AM
I have to say I think Keegan's a cretin. He's totally out of his depth in the premier league and that's saying something as there are some pretty brutal coaches in England. How Steve McLaren is rated is beyond me.

If Robbie leaves Spurs it won't be as a make-weight. Maybe he'll go somewhere like Everton, but only because they want him outright. Wright-Phillips will go to Arsenal on his dad's advice I reckon so it'll be academic.

I think Spurs finally have a good coach for a change and I think he values Robbie, though not as much as Defoe.

I agree Keegan's slightly out of his depth in the premiership (and this from a man city fan) he's blinded by loyalty (look at Fowler in the last 2 seasons) and tends to stick to a formation for way too long, after getting promoted we were still playing 3-5-2 despite getting thumped by Leeds (!!) on the opening day of the season.

What I will say for him is we would almost definately not be back in the premiership if he wasn't immediately signed as manager. Stuart Pearce and Ali Benarnia were inspired signings. Dunne would not be the player he is now without Keegan's management. Fulham (and more than likely Steve Finnan) owe him their place in the Premiership, although I accept Al-Fayed' money plays a large part in this, do you think Jean Tigana would have come to them in the second division?? Do you think Newcastle would be in the Premiership (or even still in existence) if he hadn't taken over then then-relegation candidates and made them champion's the following season??

Macy
26/01/2005, 9:46 AM
and will have their bank issues sorted by the sale of SWP.
Didn't relise that SWP was rated at over £50 million....

Stuttgart88
26/01/2005, 10:39 AM
I agree Keegan's slightly out of his depth in the premiership (and this from a man city fan) he's blinded by loyalty (look at Fowler in the last 2 seasons) and tends to stick to a formation for way too long, after getting promoted we were still playing 3-5-2 despite getting thumped by Leeds (!!) on the opening day of the season.

What I will say for him is we would almost definately not be back in the premiership if he wasn't immediately signed as manager. Stuart Pearce and Ali Benarnia were inspired signings. Dunne would not be the player he is now without Keegan's management. Fulham (and more than likely Steve Finnan) owe him their place in the Premiership, although I accept Al-Fayed' money plays a large part in this, do you think Jean Tigana would have come to them in the second division?? Do you think Newcastle would be in the Premiership (or even still in existence) if he hadn't taken over then then-relegation candidates and made them champion's the following season??

Yey, point taken. Fair play to him for developing Finnan & Dunne. and giving young Willo his chance too. Pity about Elliott & McCarthy though. I can't forgive him for dumping Liam O'Brien though! :)

Peadar
26/01/2005, 10:41 AM
I can't forgive him for dumping Liam O'Brien though! :)

Neither can I.
We had to suffer bLO'B after that.
Thankfully we were able to offload him to Bohs.

Karlos
26/01/2005, 10:51 AM
Didn't relise that SWP was rated at over £50 million....

he isn't but given that someone was prepared to pay close to €30 million for an overated teenager in Rooney - anything is possible :D

What is certain is that the sale of SWP will make a significant dent into Man City's debt.

Macy
26/01/2005, 10:59 AM
he isn't but given that someone was prepared to pay close to €30 million for an overated teenager in Rooney - anything is possible :D

What is certain is that the sale of SWP will make a significant dent into Man City's debt.
Well whichever club did that, paid cash from it's accumulated profits. Siddy are another Leeds waiting to happen - they've financed their spending in the same way, and are making the same mistakes of inflated wages for average players....

Eirambler
26/01/2005, 6:53 PM
2 new strikers for Spurs! That can't be good...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4206135.stm

dr_peepee
26/01/2005, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about the new arrivals... I thought the same there last season when they brought in Zamora, Postiga and Kanoute. Keane can hold his own.

I was looking at his stats there on Sky and this season he's avareged a goal every other game in all competions (including Internationals). Not bad at all. He should try stick it out at Spurs for the forseable future.

eirebhoy
26/01/2005, 11:04 PM
I was looking at his stats there on Sky and this season he's avareged a goal every other game in all competions (including Internationals). Not bad at all. He should try stick it out at Spurs for the forseable future.
Including internationals he has 14 goals in 27 starts. Not bad for a second striker who was played out of position a number of times.

Stuttgart88
27/01/2005, 11:02 AM
And I think his recent form has been good. Only bad luck denied him a hat trick against Everton and he scored a blinder against Brighton.

drummerboy
27/01/2005, 12:10 PM
Seems like the Spurs faithful have turned against him