PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Pros and Cons

A face
24/01/2005, 8:21 PM
Yeah, yeah ... lots of space yeah, nothing Outlook couldn't do for me ..... so

Why cant you send a mail to yourself in gmail ?? (it appears in the sent but not inbox, even in replies)

Why doesn't flush the cache like other email accounts, by that i mean when you hit refresh nothing happens even though a mail has been sent to you and others, and the others have received it ages ago ??

Will they ever improve the usablity of it ??

Why does it seem so glitchy ??

Jim Smith
24/01/2005, 8:50 PM
I don't have any of these problems with my gmail.

Are you sure your problems aren't somewhere between the seat and the keyboard? :p

A face
24/01/2005, 10:04 PM
Are you sure your problems aren't somewhere between the seat and the keyboard? :p

Nah, everything is perfect there !! :p .... well aside from my tendency to moan a bit !! :D

finlma
24/01/2005, 11:05 PM
Why cant you send a mail to yourself in gmail ?? (it appears in the sent but not inbox, even in replies)

Will they ever improve the usablity of it ??

Why does it seem so glitchy ??

I often send mails to myself without any problems. In your Inbox it appears as Me. I like the usability and think its much better than any other webmail service out there.

A face
25/01/2005, 12:01 AM
I often send mails to myself without any problems. In your Inbox it appears as Me.

I know ... i see that, but some mails dont get there. i have tested it. If i reply all, from my gmail or other it get it all the time (well at least i have noticed anything missing thatway) but definitely some go missing, and they are in the sent items, check address etc. ... others receive it, not myself.

"Chríst man ... i'm not making this up !!" :eek:

I like the usability and think its much better than any other webmail service out there.

Well i suppose that would be a matter of choice aswell though.

finlma
25/01/2005, 12:19 AM
You should send gmail an email with your issues. They usually respond. Gmail is only a beta version and not a full release so there are bound to be some problems.

sligoman
25/01/2005, 12:27 AM
Why cant you send a mail to yourself in gmail ??

My god you were actually sad enough to try it? :D :D :D :D

A face
25/01/2005, 12:33 AM
My god you were actually sad enough to try it?

I know yeah .... and i still didn't get a reply !! :eek: :D

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 5:31 AM
Why cant you send a mail to yourself in gmail ?? (it appears in the sent but not inbox, even in replies)So move it from Sent to Inbox. Why do you need two copies?

Why doesn't flush the cache like other email accounts, by that i mean when you hit refresh nothing happens even though a mail has been sent to you and others, and the others have received it ages ago ??Gmail uses XMLHTTP (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/X/XMLHTTP.html) to suck just the necessary information required to refresh your Inbox, negating the need for traditional full reloads from the server. So hitting the Inbox link on the left-hand side - Gmail does this periodically on it's own anyway - will pull down the latest folder count and messages and "push" them into the interface. Obviously this is far better than reloading the whole page.

With this in mind, I fail to see the usability problems, or "glitches"? That's the way it's supposed to be, you're just not using it right. :)

adam

$Leon$
25/01/2005, 9:57 AM
i seem to be havin loggin in from certain computers.
it gets thru the password and sh1t then says LOADING.....
then nothin

pete
25/01/2005, 10:21 AM
If ya pay (or not as this case is) peanuts you get internet mail monkeys.

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 10:39 AM
i seem to be havin loggin in from certain computers.
it gets thru the password and sh1t then says LOADING.....
then nothinWon't work for outdated/obscure browsers, that could be the problem.

If ya pay (or not as this case is) peanuts you get internet mail monkeys.Anyone using webmail as their primary email account needs their head seeing to. *shrug*

Peadar
25/01/2005, 11:14 AM
Anyone using webmail as their primary email account needs their head seeing to. *shrug*

That's true but the quality of service from the leading webmail providers is very good. You're getting a top notch service for FREE!

A license for a single Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition is USD$3,999 and each user license on top of that is USD$67
That's the type of money your company will have to pay just for the software to provide you with an e-mail account.
Throw in a decent spec. HP Proliant with High Availability, an adequate storage unit and backup solution and you're easily talking another USD$20,000
The hardware prices are higher in Ireland.

Be grateful for the decent choice of free webmail available.
95% of computer problems are Operator Error!

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 11:39 AM
Anyone using free webmail in an enterprise environment should be shot.

Anyone using Microsoft solutions for email should be hung, drawn and quartered for wasting company time and money.

adam

Peadar
25/01/2005, 12:05 PM
Anyone using Microsoft solutions for email should be hung, drawn and quartered for wasting company time and money.

Now, now Adam, we all need to earn a living somehow.
You'll be hanging, drawing and quartering the largest corporations in the world.

BTW I wasn't suggesting that a company should use webmail solutions as their primary mail. I was merely pointing out the costs involved.

$Leon$
25/01/2005, 12:12 PM
Won't work for outdated/obscure browsers, that could be the problem.

that could be the problem thanx

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 12:20 PM
You'll be hanging, drawing and quartering the largest corporations in the world.How bad.

BTW I wasn't suggesting that a company should use webmail solutions as their primary mail. I was merely pointing out the costs involved.Apples and oranges, chalk and cheese. A more realistic comparison would be an ISP POP3 account (usually free) and regular email client (usually free).

Obviously some people can't use POP3 because they travel around a lot, but even if that was the case, if my email was any way important at all, my primary account would have to be with a tried and trusted commercial webmail operator that doesn't try to assert control or ownership over my mail.

You have zero control over your mail with the freemail crowds, they could delete the lot by accident or intentionally and be completely covered.

adam

pete
25/01/2005, 1:03 PM
You have zero control over your mail with the freemail crowds, they could delete the lot by accident or intentionally and be completely covered.

Exactly.

I'm paying about $30 a year for domain+mail (they upgraded me to 1GB when Gmail started goiving for free) & problems at all. Once i'm setup for broadband with download to my local client.

shedite
25/01/2005, 1:07 PM
One problem I have with Gmail and the reason I haven't changed over from Hotmail yet, is that when you get those joke e-mails that you want to forward to friends, with hotmail you can just click your friends name from the contacts list on the side and it adds their address. With gmail you have to type the address. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

For those who still use hotmail, you can follow the instructions below to get 250MB of space for free. It works.

>>When you're logged into hotmail select `options'. Change profile
>>to: country: US, state: Florida, ZIP code: 33332. Then log out of
>>hotmail and go to: http://memberservices.passport.net. Log inot
>>this and choose: close NET passport.account and follow the next
>>steps (contact hotmail, close my account). Don't worry, you wont
>>lose anything.
>>
>>Now re-open hotmail and log in as normal, then choose 'activate my
>>account' and you will get 25 MB for free, the other 225 MB follow
>>in a month.
>>
>>Loads of people I know have done it and it does work. You don't
>>lose anything on your account, and you can immediately see you have
>>25 MB instead of 2 MB.

Peadar
25/01/2005, 1:13 PM
For those who still use hotmail, you can follow the instructions below to get 250MB of space for free. It works.

You could also just put in a UK address and get a @Hotmail.co.uk account. You've a better chance of getting something which resembles your name. Anyone stuck for a UK postal address could just use the address of their fav football club which is normally listed under "Contact Us" on their website.
I expect I'll have people having a go at me now for promoting .co.uk addresses! :rolleyes:

dahamsta
25/01/2005, 1:15 PM
With gmail you have to type the address. Is there a way around this that I'm missing? Not that I'm aware of, although you shouldn't have to type more than a few chars before it generates a dropdown of matching address book entries that you can choose from.

adam

CollegeTillIDie
25/01/2005, 8:50 PM
You could also just put in a UK address and get a @Hotmail.co.uk account. You've a better chance of getting something which resembles your name. Anyone stuck for a UK postal address could just use the address of their fav football club which is normally listed under "Contact Us" on their website.
I expect I'll have people having a go at me now for promoting .co.uk addresses! :rolleyes:

There is an MSN.ie website, should be free e-mail addresses there soon

A face
26/01/2005, 12:33 AM
So move it from Sent to Inbox. Why do you need two copies?

But ... but .... new mails are always meant .... to go to ... the Inbox ..... Why cant they just go to the Inbox ? I am asking too much, am i ... huh ?? :eek: :p

Gmail uses XMLHTTP (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/X/XMLHTTP.html) to suck just the necessary information required to refresh your Inbox, negating the need for traditional full reloads from the server. So hitting the Inbox link on the left-hand side - Gmail does this periodically on it's own anyway - will pull down the latest folder count and messages and "push" them into the interface. Obviously this is far better than reloading the whole page.

Nooo ... tried all that, tried refresh, Inbox, other folders then inbox, other folder then other folder then inbox, F5, ctrl and F5, log out and log back in, wait 20 mins log out and log back in. It just aint happening.

At this point i have made up my mind .... i am disgruntled and decided that gmail is inferior to other email accounts !! :rolleyes: ;)

finlma
26/01/2005, 1:01 AM
Nooo ... tried all that, tried refresh, Inbox, other folders then inbox, other folder then other folder then inbox, F5, ctrl and F5, log out and log back in, wait 20 mins log out and log back in. It just aint happening.

At this point i have made up my mind .... i am disgruntled and decided that gmail is inferior to other email accounts !! :rolleyes: ;)

Maybe no one is sending you any emails :D

crc
27/01/2005, 10:12 AM
Ok, I won't have a go at you for promoting .co.uk addresses (although I probably should), but I will have a go at you for suggesting that the favourite football club of users of this site would have a UK postcode! (except Derry fans, and though it should probably be otherwise there aren't too many on here that take a keen interest in the Irish League!)

Peadar
27/01/2005, 10:22 AM
but I will have a go at you for suggesting that the favourite football club of users of this site would have a UK postcode!

Bury your head in the sand and pretend that people in Ireland don't follow football in Britain. :rolleyes:

If you're a fan of the "beautiful game" you probably have a favourite team in many leagues around Europe and perhaps beyond.

crc
27/01/2005, 10:32 AM
I do follow other leagues (and was glued to the Man U-Chelsea game last night) because I'll readily admit that the quality of football in Premiership / Serie A / La Liga / CL is way above eL, and as you say followers of the beautiful game enjoy watching good football. But I don't understand how you can say that (for example) "Liverpool is my team". How do you decide that? Its like watching the World Cup and saying you're a Brazil supporter!

The favourite club of a foot.ie user would be an eL team, no?

Peadar
27/01/2005, 10:37 AM
The favourite club of a foot.ie user would be an eL team, no?

While you can nit pick all you want, I know that you're in no doubt as to what I meant.
You don't need to tell me who my favourite club should be.
I'm lucky enough to be born in Cork and have a great club to support.
Not everyone in Ireland has a local eL club they can follow.

crc
27/01/2005, 10:49 AM
Even fewer have a local English team to follow. ;)
I understand your point, but I take issue with people supporting clubs in cities they probably couldn't point to on a map (yes, you've probably been to Liverpool/Manchester/London 25 times in the last year, but most of these 'fans' haven't). The allegience is nurtured by large corporations (SKY and the clubs) to take your money. Supporting Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal from Ireland is about image, NOT football.

CollegeTillIDie
27/01/2005, 8:36 PM
While you can nit pick all you want, I know that you're in no doubt as to what I meant.
You don't need to tell me who my favourite club should be.
I'm lucky enough to be born in Cork and have a great club to support.

With a bit of lateral thinking anyone can find a " local" club to follow
Here's a list of counties without EL clubs in the Premier or First Division
and some " local " clubs for football fans to support.
Co. Leitrim.... Sligo Rovers
Co. Mayo..... Sligo Rovers or Galway United
Co. Roscommon.... Athlone Town or Galway United
Co. Clare.... Limerick F.C.
Co. Tipperary... North Riding... Limerick F.C.
CO.Tipperary... South Riding..... Waterford United
Co. Kerry.... Limerick F.C.
Co. Carlow... Kilkenny City or Kildare County
Co. Wexford... Waterford United or Kilkenny City
Co. Laois... Kildare County
Co. Offaly... Athlone Town
Co. Meath... Drogheda United, or any of the Northside Dublin clubs.
Co. Cavan... Monaghan United or Longford Town

Some people from these counties already support the teams suggested as things stand. When Newcastlewest were in the League of Ireland First Division there was a band of supporters from North Kerry who regularly travelled to Ballygowan Park to watch them play.

sligoman
28/01/2005, 3:59 PM

Nah it's alright, we dont want Leitrim fans ;)

fosterdollar
28/01/2005, 4:21 PM
4 more invites if anyone wants one...

A face
31/01/2005, 7:40 PM
4 more invites if anyone wants one...

Its like a fuppin' disease !! :eek: :p

finlma
02/02/2005, 8:17 PM
Google have decided to give me 50 more Gmail invites. If anyone wants one PM me your email address.

Éanna
02/02/2005, 10:39 PM
With a bit of lateral thinking anyone can find a " local" club to follow
Here's a list of counties without EL clubs in the Premier or First Division
and some " local " clubs for football fans to support.
Co. Mayo..... Sligo Rovers or Galway United
Co. Roscommon.... Athlone Town or Galway United
Co. Clare.... Limerick F.C.
Co. Tipperary... North Riding... Limerick F.C.
CO.Tipperary... South Riding..... Waterford United
Co. Kerry.... Limerick F.C.
Co. Carlow... Kilkenny City or Kildare County
Co. Wexford... Waterford United or Kilkenny City
Co. Laois... Kildare County
Co. Offaly... Athlone Town
Co. Meath... Drogheda United, or any of the Northside Dublin clubs.
Co. Cavan... Monaghan United or Longford Town

Some people from these counties already support the teams suggested as things stand. When Newcastlewest were in the League of Ireland First Division there was a band of supporters from North Kerry who regularly travelled to Ballygowan Park to watch them play.
there are two things you have to take into account though.
1. Think of the dedication most of us put into supporting eL teams. It ain't easy! Not everyone has the time or the committment.
2. The all-pervading nature of the GAA means that many people see their neighbouring county as a rival, and are therefore unlikely to support a team from there, even if it is in proper football