PDA

View Full Version : If Ireland unites resulting from Brexit, what will the joint league and FA look like?

shizzle787
28/06/2016, 12:56 AM
I would opt for an 18-team league (9 from each of north and south to start) with a 34-game schedule. The Irish Cup final could pit the winners of the Cup of S. Ireland vs. the Cup of N. Ireland (similar to the situation in Czechoslovakia). You could then have 2 twelve team second divisions (roughly geographically split), and 2 twelve team third divisions below that with regional leagues making up the numbers. League cups are a waste of time so I would shelve those, but I would keep the regional cups. What do you think?

gufcfan
28/06/2016, 2:19 AM
Whatever thought process brought you to this question, bury it in the back of your mind and never speak of it again.

disgruntled
29/06/2016, 9:50 AM
"If Ireland unites resulting from Brexit, what will the joint league and FA look like?"
A complete mess.
Don't even go there, not if you value your sanity :nails:

Eminence Grise
29/06/2016, 10:10 AM
The keeper will have to speak Ulster Scots, the fowards will have to be born in England as part of the price for Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth. The defence will play in green, the midfield in orange and none of them will pass the ball to each other.

And I predict Linfield will beat Glentoran 2-12 to 15 points in their first game in the merged league.

sadloserkid
29/06/2016, 10:59 AM
The defence will play in green, the midfield in orange and none of them will pass the ball to each other.

I have literally just spat water all over my workstation. :D My colleagues are mystified and I don't think there's any possible way I could make them understand.

Ezeikial
29/06/2016, 6:53 PM
Delaney Out

Shizzle In

Nesta99
01/07/2016, 9:50 AM
It would remain the same as 'unification' would likely still involve a devolved Belfast parliament as head of the newly named 'The 6 Free Counties Region of N. Ireland in Éire' (SFCRNIE), a rotation of, or joint heads of state for a certain lengthy period. Some sort of autonomous Isle of Man type entity formed temporarily in what is currently 'Northern Ireland for 50 years or something like that for the purpose of transition and in a face saving effort for those who would find a change to the current status quo a bitter pill to swallow. Dual currency for 2 - 5 years; and a few things like the IFA, FAI and senior domestic football, island wide, forced (bribed(dowried) in to an arranged marriage with that 'union' to be complete over a cycle of 3 World Cups. Dundalk being the compromise location of the new Irish Football Association for Football Associations in Ireland (IFAFFAI)/Football Association in Ireland for Irish Football Associations (FAIFIFA) HQ - associations' title rotating every 4 uears - funded initially out of savings from made due to the Brexit. Messrs. M O'Neill become team co-selectors and have to wear training tops with Bainisteóir!

I'm after being up 23 hours straight for nearly 23 hours straight so i'm probably raving on by now.....