PDA

View Full Version : Brexit and our league !

Kiki Balboa
24/06/2016, 12:14 PM
So how will the Brexit affect the league ?

With the possibility of free movement of labour ending, we might see a lot less players go over to the lower leagues in England, as it would be harder to get a work permit (Which can only be good for the league.

Also is it possible to stop international transfers of U-18 players? Im pretty sure Brazil do this (At least in Football manager).

Any thoughts ??

BonnieShels
24/06/2016, 12:28 PM
It won't affect Irish Citizens. So I doubt there will be much change.

gufcfan
24/06/2016, 1:52 PM
LOI supporters travelling in and out of the Pale this evening should bring their passports in case border controls are reinstated.

Eminence Grise
24/06/2016, 3:27 PM
If the arrangements allowing Irish and British citizens to live freely in each jurisdiction continue, it could mean more chances for Irish players since Home Office rules on signing players would seriously restrict clubs from buying other young talent from abroad. In a way, I'd rather it didn't - I'd much prefer to see young Irish players staying at home for longer, learning the game here and trying their luck in other league.

El-Pietro
24/06/2016, 3:47 PM
If the UK leave the EEA as well as the EU and there are no additional agreements between the nations then English clubs will not be able to sign players until they turn 18 from outside the UK.

Martinho II
24/06/2016, 4:06 PM
If the UK leave the EEA as well as the EU and there are no additional agreements between the nations then English clubs will not be able to sign players until they turn 18 from outside the UK.

to those not in the know whats EEA?

passinginterest
24/06/2016, 4:21 PM
to those not in the know whats EEA?

European Economic Area, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are part of the EEA but not the EU.

EatYerGreens
25/06/2016, 1:30 AM
European Economic Area, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are part of the EEA but not the EU.

And Switzerland too.

Zero chance the UK won't be in the EEA to be honest.

HarpoJoyce
25/06/2016, 9:51 AM
Euro currency stretches to extra toppings on Brandywell crêpes. [Short-Term but maybe more]

Burnsie
25/06/2016, 1:50 PM
And Switzerland too.

Switzerland isn't in the EEA. But I agree the UK surely will be regardless of their EU status.

White Horse
25/06/2016, 2:00 PM
It won't affect Irish Citizens. So I doubt there will be much change.

It will increase the opportunities for Irish players.

At the moment, an English club can bring in a mediocre player from an EU country to cover a postion in their squad.

EU people are likely to be only able to work in the UK if they pass a points based test, similar to the one in Australia.

World class players will have no problem getting a permit, but a run of the mill player from the EU?

If anything, it will increase the opportunities for British and Irish (due to the common travel area) players.

It is a potential silver lining to an otherwise regrettable decision (in my opinion).

White Horse
25/06/2016, 2:03 PM
And Switzerland too.

Those countries have to accept free movement of people for work as a price for being in the EEA.

The UK wanted out of the EU because they don't want free movement of people from the EU to Britain.

That rules them out of the EEA.

EatYerGreens
29/06/2016, 6:15 PM
Euro currency stretches to extra toppings on Brandywell crêpes. [Short-Term but maybe more]

Since when did they do crepes at the Brandywell ?! :D