PDA

View Full Version : France V Republic of Ireland - Sunday, 26 June 2016 - Euro 2016 Round of 16

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 12:01 AM
So!

What does O'Neill do?

Very hard to drop anyone after tonight. But if Walters is back, I think we need him. Ward to make way?

O'Shea back in for Duffy maybe?

Whelan and Hoolahan for - who?

There's more players to come back in than deserve to be dropped.

Don't envy O'Neill tbh

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 12:04 AM
It's great. And Hendrick and McCarthy avoiding yellows makes it all the better and more difficult. We're a better team without Whelan so that's an easy one, seems highly unlikely Walters would be ready also.

eekers
23/06/2016, 1:08 AM
France have never played in the new Lyon stadium. You'd think they would have at least scheduled a friendly there looking at the draw.
Of the players in the French squad only the two Lyon full backs (who wont be playing) and Matuidi (10 minute sub appearance) have played a game in the stadium.

Kingdom
23/06/2016, 1:19 AM
So!

What does O'Neill do?

Very hard to drop anyone after tonight. But if Walters is back, I think we need him. Ward to make way?

O'Shea back in for Duffy maybe?

Whelan and Hoolahan for - who?

There's more players to come back in than deserve to be dropped.

Don't envy O'Neill tbh
I do envy O'Neill. I ain't seen the Irish tv interviews, so cannot see whether O'Neill has said the changes for tonight were due to reenergise the team or due to poor performances.
The doc would argue that Keogh should have played with O'Shea instead of Clark. I'd have argued that O'Shea shouldn't have played at all, given his age, speed, form. I think it would be hard to drop either Duffy or Keogh. I think Duffy will relish the battle with Giroud on Sunday.

I'd drop Murphy immediately for Walters if Johnny is fit. It's a no-brainer, but I'd like to see Walters be the totem with Long and McClean supporting from wide. The midfield trio picks itself with Brady mc|C\arthy and Hendrick, with Wes and McGeady options off the bench.

France likely to go with
Lloris
Sagna
Evra
Rami
Koscielny
Kante
Matuidi
Giroud
and then a combination of Pogba, Griezemann, Payet, Martial or Coman.

They're good, but they're under huge pressure, and possibly don't know their best team or way of playing yet. We just cannot allow them to get the early foothold or territory (trying to avoid dipping into rugby parlence!)
We forced Italy into playing our game tonight by pressing them up top, forcing the keeper to kick long mostly when he clearly didn't want to. I still think we could close the gap between the top 3 and the back 4 when we don't have the ball, or when it goes dead high in the opponents half, but you need a very comfortable backline to do that (something we're still not settled on unfortunately) and a keeper who will sweep quite high.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 1:32 AM
Given how tonight went the only change I would countenance would be Walters for Murphy and I'm saying that given that Murphy did what he needed to do.

I think the Keogh Duffy axis needs to stay. They worked well.

That midfield... touch it and be damned. Immense.

osarusan
23/06/2016, 10:16 AM
I think O'Neill has to expect France to come at us much much more than Italy did. Similar to how Belgium did.

Is the best way to deal with that to pick a team to keep the ball and play higher up the pitch - do we have the players that can actually make that tactic work?

Or does he pick a team to deal with an onslaught?

legendz
23/06/2016, 10:55 AM
The Irish media should be hounding the French manager and players in the prematch press conferences with questions on the Henry handball to the point where they get frustrated by the constant questioning about it. Let them not forget about it. Unsettle and ruffle their feathers!!

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 10:59 AM
Not sure about that, I think it's us that could do without all the talk about it. It's a negative mindset I think even if it is supposed to be a motivational factor.

legendz
23/06/2016, 11:53 AM
Not sure about that, I think it's us that could do without all the talk about it. It's a negative mindset I think even if it is supposed to be a motivational factor.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Most I've spoken to are seeing it as a motivational factor and an extra reason to beat the French. No better way than to knock them out as hosts and remind them of something they might prefer to forget.

legendz
23/06/2016, 12:01 PM
The time Ireland beat England in rugby in the first clash in Croke Park. I'll be hoping for something of that spirit on Sunday. Ireland doesn't make many World Cups. Beating the French on their own soil as hosts and knocking them out will be fantastic if they can do it.

Kingdom
23/06/2016, 12:07 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. Most I've spoken to are seeing it as a motivational factor and an extra reason to beat the French. No better way than to knock them out as hosts and remind them of something they might prefer to forget.

Kind of like our attempts to exorcise the Tyrone ghost <shudders>

backstothewall
23/06/2016, 12:25 PM
I'd go back to the diamond. McCarthy at the Base, Brady and Hendrick in the middle, Hoolahan sitting off Long and Murphy (or Walters if Big Jon makes it.)

Same back 5 as last night

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 12:28 PM
We have to be very careful with this team selection I think. Last night was gruelling and France already have 72 hours extra rest on us, that's massive and they were even able to rest a couple on Sunday also. Even our fitter, younger and more athletic players were out on their feet. Hendrick was virtually gone with fifteen minutes to go.

Also, it's such a different set of circumstances awaiting us on Sunday, needless to say really. It will be the complete opposite of what we faced last night so I think it's too easy to just go with the same guys again because we played well/won.

All that said, I'm not sure where the freshness is going to come from. Introducing the likes of Meyler or Quinn for your McCarthy's or Hendrick's is probably too radical a downgrade, with all due respect to the two guys mentioned. We really should have brought Gibson I think.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 12:30 PM
Kind of like our attempts to exorcise the Tyrone ghost <shudders>

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article6293179.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/inpho_00300663.jpg

:)

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 12:33 PM
Exactly... let's do this :)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/22/21/1466626470105_lc_galleryImage_LILLE_FRANCE_JUNE_22 _Salv.JPG

Kingdom
23/06/2016, 12:36 PM
:)

I was hoping YOU'D see the irony I was nodding towards.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 1:39 PM
Lads, can we glam up the thread title a little? It's not just Ireland v France FFS.

Odds are against us as will be the ref probably. But we've got balls and no little ability. Play without fear and who knows?

France needed a late moment of brilliance to beat Romania and barely got last Albania. They drew 0-0 with Switzerland.

I think I'd bring back O'Shea alongside Keogh for this one. That's probably it for me.

Worryingly it looked like Shay was the back up keeper last night, full kit, gloves etc during game and at half time when Westwood was feeding him balls. Equally worrying was Shay fisting away routine tummy catches like I noticed in Gdansk, and look what happened in the match. Stay fit Darren.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 1:41 PM
Ticket Portal is painful

nigel-harps1954
23/06/2016, 1:42 PM
Never change a winning team.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 2:31 PM
I was hoping YOU'D see the irony I was nodding towards.

Naturally

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 2:45 PM
Ticket Portal is painful

Anyone through?

nigel-harps1954
23/06/2016, 3:20 PM
4,604 tickets for Ireland supporters for this game.

"3,500 tickets have been allocated to Ireland supporters through UEFA's ticketing portal, which went on sale earlier this year.
The FAI's internal sales quota from UEFA is 1,000 tickets and FAI CEO John Delaney secured an additional 104 tickets."

The majority of tickets for the game was sold to French supporters before the tournament began.

Also, well done to John Delaney. A whole 104 tickets. What a legend.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 3:39 PM
I'm ever so close to the end. I know what bitter disappointment waits. But still I am hopeful.

EDIT: I will enter the portal in 12min

EDITEDIT: DAMN

OMTY
23/06/2016, 3:44 PM
I'm ever so close to the end. I know what bitter disappointment waits. But still I am hopeful.

EDIT: I will enter the portal in 12min

Down to 1 min. Logged in at 2.20. Not very hopeful

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 4:08 PM
Well said Robbie! (http://www.irishexaminer.com/euro2016/euro2016-news/robbie-keane-on-handball-revenge-f-hell-move-on-741448.html)

Yeah I was there. I will not think about that for one second. How long ago was it? Seven years. F****** hell, move on.

DannyInvincible
23/06/2016, 4:15 PM
Lads, can we glam up the thread title a little? It's not just Ireland v France FFS.

Ha, I fully agree. "Ireland v France" is so understated and underwhelming. By my reckoning, this is the biggest game for us since we played Spain in 2002.

davidatrb
23/06/2016, 5:05 PM
Odds are against us

Yes. 5/1 to qualify. So lets roll the dice and see what happens.

Lionel Ritchie
23/06/2016, 5:06 PM
4,604 tickets for Ireland supporters for this game.

The majority of tickets for the game was sold to French supporters before the tournament began.

Also, well done to John Delaney. A whole 104 tickets. What a legend.

Once again that man has proved to be worth every penny of his ridiculous salary AND if Ireland do get allocated a solitary ticket more he'll be on his soapbox claiming credit. Thereafter it will likely again be subsequently revealed that UEFA contacted HIM to see if we could use some more tickets rather than the way he'll tell it.

backstothewall
23/06/2016, 6:58 PM
I wonder if they will practise penalties...

legendz
23/06/2016, 7:15 PM
Never change a winning team.

What do you do in that case, start with the XI on the field when the goal was scored?

Whelan might come in for Ward, with Brady going back to left back. It'll be a different game with a different approach. O'Shea as some suggest might come in for Duffy. Murphy has done enough to start unless Walters can come back in to the side.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 7:22 PM
I honestly can't see Brady reverting to left back after his performance yesterday. If Ward doesn't make it then Christie maybe?

I only just realised it was Brady who started the move, feeding McGeady from inside our half. Was it Brady who received the ball from Randolph?

Nice to see a legendary Irish goal start from a rolled pass from the keeper rather than a hoof!

Not going all Paul on this but I loved how McGeady carried the ball through the middle for the goal. I'm always banging on about the importance of that. He was only attacking empty space but Whelan and McCarthy wouldn't have done it.

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 7:27 PM
Has Christie ever played left-back? Don't know how much of a change it is from right-back - but presumably he wouldn't be quite as effective on the wrong side?

Razors left peg
23/06/2016, 7:36 PM
Brady way too important to us to play at left back again

SkStu
23/06/2016, 7:45 PM
I agree with those saying that O'Shea for Duffy would be the only change.

Still pumped from the game yesterday. Unbelievable stuff. Brady is some legend. He is also deceptively pacy (especially while closely controlling the ball) which I only really noticed in the last few Irish games he has played. He has beaten a lot of players on the outside in the last few games.

What are peoples thoughts on Stephen Ward's performances so far? He got a 6.5 in the Indo review which I thought was very unfair. I think he has been defensively excellent in addition to being competent, if a little inconsistent, in attack. He got (i think a little unfairly) scapegoated after 2012 and I think this is a bit of well deserved redemption for him.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 8:28 PM
Has Christie ever played left-back? Don't know how much of a change it is from right-back - but presumably he wouldn't be quite as effective on the wrong side?i can't say when but I have a feeling he has deputised there.

Clark is the obvious natural replacement but I'd say the poor guy's brain is cooked right now. I wonder how Wilson feels?

I agree with SkStu's description of Ward. Sound defensively and competent without pulling up trees in attack.

Full backs are so important. Germany's offer nothing in attack, a major post-Lahm weakness.. I like Croatia's. England's are very good I think, as good as any in the tournament. Wales scored from left back in open play.

Anyway, hopefully Ward will be fit.

3.5 days turnaround isn't ideal.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 8:31 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the tricolour with Thierry Henry in the middle and the slogan "Never Forget"? I want to show it to a French pal. It's been out in France.

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 8:34 PM
Can't say I've ever seen Christie playing left back for Derby or Ireland. Maybe in his Coventry days.

We would have probably thought McCarthy's brain was cooked before last night too but a little faith can go a long way. I'd have no issue with Clark coming in, he has had to be mentally tough over the past few seasons at Aston Villa. Ward was excellent last night I thought, made some 40/60 balls his own and contributed well up the pitch.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 8:57 PM
I thought Coleman looked every inch a captain but I think Keogh played like a captain too, as did several outfield players. Everyone played like a winner, like a leader; that's what we need.

nigel-harps1954
23/06/2016, 11:14 PM
I don't think the starting 11 should change at all. Duffy and Keogh done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped and O'Shea hasn't exactly been a defensive rock for the past 6 months or so at club or country.

Brady and Ward were excellent on the left hand side and the central pairing of McCarthy and Hendrick worked really well. McClean worked his balls off too, and provides a bit of energy down the wing that we had lacked beforehand.

I fail to see why any of them should be dropped in favour of Walters, Whelan, O'Shea or anyone else in the squad for any reason whatsoever. They've proven themselves against the Italians and should be given the opportunity to prove themselves further against France.

If needed, Walters, Whelan, Keane or Hoolahan can be brought off the bench.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/06/2016, 11:21 PM
I'd worry more about Ward's potential absence than trying to rush Walters back again.

Murphy was immense last night, not that he'll ever get the credit he deserves for it, and Brady too was fantastic higher up the pitch.

McClean has hopefully put an end to this talk that he can only be an "impact player" off the bench.

Nobody deserves to be dropped after that performance - Keogh and Duffy were for the most part so calm and measured at the back.

And Hoolahan - to have that kind of composure to set up Brady after missing a sitter moments earlier..

Must be mentioned though, Italy were clearly set up to keep a clean sheet and weren't particularly busting a gut to get anything more than that out of the game.

I was disheartened to see Bonucci in the starting line up, but was pleased to see Motta and Immobile in there; the latter really lives up to his name.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/06/2016, 11:24 PM
i can't say when but I have a feeling he has deputised there.

Clark is the obvious natural replacement but I'd say the poor guy's brain is cooked right now. I wonder how Wilson feels?

I agree with SkStu's description of Ward. Sound defensively and competent without pulling up trees in attack.

Full backs are so important. Germany's offer nothing in attack, a major post-Lahm weakness.. I like Croatia's. England's are very good I think, as good as any in the tournament. Wales scored from left back in open play.

Anyway, hopefully Ward will be fit.

3.5 days turnaround isn't ideal.

I actually think Ward was great from an attacking perspective. Got up the pitch and made himself available in some good positions, without giving up an inch on his defensive responsibilities.

tetsujin1979
24/06/2016, 12:40 AM
thread title changed. you're welcome

DeLorean
24/06/2016, 9:42 AM
Not sure I agree with this CET nonsense though... I'm home now :(

TheOneWhoKnocks
24/06/2016, 2:06 PM
Feel sorry for whoever he comes in for. McClean and Murphy have more than earned their places in the team for the France game.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/update-jon-walters-returns-to-training-ahead-of-france-clash-but-stephen-ward-is-a-doubt-34829760.html

Maybe Ward's injury will force Brady to revert to RB and he can come in for Ward.

Ward would be a big miss too IMO; Would love to see Brady in midfield.

BonnieShels
24/06/2016, 2:10 PM
To move Brady would be nightmarish. I'd sooner see Chrsitie back and leave MF alone.

third policeman
24/06/2016, 2:21 PM
To move Brady would be nightmarish. I'd sooner see Chrsitie back and leave MF alone.

Actually think Christie would fit into the new post-Italy playing style. Quick, energetic and able to play at the kind of pace we need to discomfort France and stop them establishing the kind of control and dominance that Belgium achieved. The fact he's another new face, and adds to the sense of a new team / fresh start, is actually a positive for me.

Stuttgart88
24/06/2016, 2:32 PM
Not sure I agree with this CET nonsense though... I'm home now :(It just makes it feel like a Finals.

tetsujin1979
24/06/2016, 2:48 PM
Feel sorry for whoever he comes in for. McClean and Murphy have more than earned their places in the team for the France game.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/update-jon-walters-returns-to-training-ahead-of-france-clash-but-stephen-ward-is-a-doubt-34829760.html

Maybe Ward's injury will force Brady to revert to RB and he can come in for Ward.

Ward would be a big miss too IMO; Would love to see Brady in midfield.
stop stirring, there's nothing to suggest Walters will come straight back into the side

paul_oshea
24/06/2016, 3:26 PM
The optimistic and real fans would have got 4 tickets follow your team for this game.

CTP can vouch for the view of those tickets too.

Stuttgart88
24/06/2016, 5:24 PM
What about fans who applied for follow your team but whose credit card was stolen?

My missus told me yesterday I should go back and watch the French game. I suspect she's having an affair. She wants me to go as much as I do. TV for me though.