PDA

View Full Version : France V Republic of Ireland - Sunday, 26 June 2016 - Euro 2016 Round of 16

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

DeLorean
01/07/2016, 3:33 PM
Seems like old ground but did Keane actually give out about the supporters celebrating a defeat? I know it was portrayed that way but my understanding was that he was critical of the team not giving them something to actually celebrate. Agree with BS too, the manner of the defeats were chalk and cheese anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhA48e0uC44

Drumcondra 69er
01/07/2016, 10:57 PM
http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.fr/2016/07/the-lyon-didn-sleep-tonight.html?m=1

Final blog of trip on France game for those interested.

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/07/2016, 8:02 PM
I asked my brother if he thought we should have went with 3 at the back during the Euros seeing as it's been successful for other sides. He replied only against France, and only after the equalizer, as we had been good up to that point.

He then went on to say he didn't like the fact that players were drinking beer after the Italy game as it showed our small time mentality.

That it was hypocritical and unprofessional to be drinking beer and eating slices of pizza while complaining about a lack of preparation time for the French game.

*His opinions not mine

What do ye think now in the cold light of day?

tetsujin1979
06/07/2016, 8:04 PM
I think that the tournament sponsors have had bottles of beer in most (if not all) changing rooms, so players being photographed holding bottles isn't unexpected

jbyrne
06/07/2016, 8:23 PM
That it was hypocritical and unprofessional to be drinking beer and eating slices of pizza while complaining about a lack of preparation time for the French game.

pizza is a great food to eat after sport for replacing energy. lots of clubs have pizza after the matches. i doubt no more than a bottle of beer was had. no problem with that really. i think the 5am return to hotel due to random drug tests and the ridiculous difference between our gap before france game and theirs are far bigger issues

TheOneWhoKnocks
06/07/2016, 8:34 PM
pizza is a great food to eat after sport for replacing energy. lots of clubs have pizza after the matches. i doubt no more than a bottle of beer was had. no problem with that really. i think the 5am return to hotel due to random drug tests and the ridiculous difference between our gap before france game and theirs are far bigger issues

Ah fair enough, didn't know about that. And the difference in prep time was ridiculous bottom line.

My brother didn't say anything about pizza. I added that.

Think of it as my tribute to Mike Love adding that stupid coda to the end of Wouldn't It Be Nice and suing Brian Wilson for songwriting credits.

Stuttgart88
06/07/2016, 8:36 PM
Pizza is well known as a recovery food. Remember "pizza gate" at Old Trafford? Good combo of carbs, protein and salt, good for immediate post-exertion refuelling.

Beer? Depends how much. One pint fine, maybe even two. In fact it's probably good to take the edge off the adrenaline rush, good after a late night match where the players will need sleep not that much later.

If you look at ITV's Tour de France highlights you'll have seen Cavendish's team all sharing a glass of champagne over dinner yesterday. These guys had to cycle 200k the next day. If you read Nico Riche's Tour diaries you'll note that cyclists all drink a little wine after a hard stage and with another hard day to follow.

Much fuss about nothing.

thischarmingman
06/07/2016, 11:14 PM
Wales had a beer after the Russia game.

BonnieShels
06/07/2016, 11:37 PM
I asked my brother if he thought we should have went with 3 at the back during the Euros seeing as it's been successful for other sides. He replied only against France, and only after the equalizer, as we had been good up to that point.

He then went on to say he didn't like the fact that players were drinking beer after the Italy game as it showed our small time mentality.

*His opinions not mine

I think no different and I think your brother's opinion is a wee bit OTT .

Charlie Darwin
06/07/2016, 11:58 PM
Anybody who thinks a couple of beers has any impact on an athlete's recovery time just doesn't understand how the body works.

colonelwest
07/07/2016, 12:36 PM
Anybody who thinks a couple of beers has any impact on an athlete's recovery time just doesn't understand how the body works.

http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/1206778/original/?height=528

TheOneWhoKnocks
07/07/2016, 1:49 PM
Nature (Trap) or Nurture (MON).

tricky_colour
08/07/2016, 11:54 PM
I don't think beer is a problem is you are a regular drinker but I don't think it is a good idea for occasional drinkers.

TheOneWhoKnocks
09/07/2016, 12:46 AM
Wasn't Paul McGrath off his tits in one game and he was still man of the match?

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFSsn1M-SE

gastric
09/07/2016, 3:09 AM
On mote than one occasion!

DeLorean
25/08/2016, 12:03 PM
Bump.

DeLorean
29/08/2016, 1:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJs5XAFDVJ0

DeLorean