PDA

View Full Version : eircom League club open Arkins talks

A face
23/01/2005, 5:45 PM
eircom League club open Arkins talks

One eircom League Premier Division club is believed to have held preliminary talks with prolific Portadown striker Vinny Arkins about a return to the Republic of Ireland.

Former Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne star Arkins has been operating in England, Scotland and the Irish League for the past nine years, banging in goals for Notts County, St Johnstone and current club Portadown.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15674)

Longfordian
23/01/2005, 6:08 PM
Hmm..injury troubles, 34 years old, very highly paid (£1400 per week), there's one man who's daft enough to do it..Roddy.

WindmillWarrior
23/01/2005, 6:10 PM
Word on the street is we're interested - Jebus, I hope not!!

A face
23/01/2005, 6:41 PM
there's one man who's daft enough to do it.

You are bang on the money there ... he is a liablity, as if Rovers dont have enough troubles, another two clubs in the premier, they'll have an extra few spots to avoid the drop, but it aint exactly ideal for them.

MariborKev
23/01/2005, 9:46 PM
(£1400 per week)

Eh, no

And we definately aren't the club either

Longfordian
23/01/2005, 9:57 PM
Well Portadown officials told our own officials at the UEFA draw last year that that is what he is on and they believed him value for money so I have no reason to disbelieve them..maybe he's willing to take a drop but that according to them is what he gets paid now

MariborKev
23/01/2005, 10:32 PM
He must have got an even better contract since we last enquired about him then :eek:

Longfordian
23/01/2005, 10:38 PM
Could have..they apparently genuinely felt him worth every penny he got from them, they said they'd hate to lose him. It was very surprising to me too when I heard it from one of our club offficials

BohsFans
23/01/2005, 11:33 PM
I have to ask, even if the drogs don't get him, where the **** are they getting their money from?? I mean all the players signed + compo deal for Sullivan + switching from part time to full time + a pre season tour of Turkey!!

If they don't get into and do well in the CL nxt season they'll go to the wall??

Longfordian
24/01/2005, 1:03 AM
Millionaire directors seemingly, they have their eyes on a sweet commercial development based around the Drogs planned new stadium, but having said that at least they're putting their money into the team and aren't just predators a la Rovers

paudie
24/01/2005, 9:23 AM
In fairness Arkins record for Portadown is top class. At least 20 league goals a season for 7 or 8 eight so the club probably feel they're paying him for his past record as much as anything.

Whether he'd do the same in the EL is a different matter.

pete
24/01/2005, 9:26 AM
Much harder to score goals in the eL. Defenders don't mess around with the ball as tend to hoof if in doubt.

corkharps
24/01/2005, 1:01 PM
£1,400 a week! :eek: Thats the Harps budget for the full squad! :p

dcfcsteve
24/01/2005, 1:13 PM
Much harder to score goals in the eL. Defenders don't mess around with the ball as tend to hoof if in doubt.

That's no different than the Irish League then. Except the Goalkeepr, Midfield and wingers also tend to hoof it... :)

pete
25/01/2005, 8:53 AM
That's no different than the Irish League then. Except the Goalkeepr, Midfield and wingers also tend to hoof it... :)

I was just thinking about great Gary Haylok qoute from few years ago where he was saying IL defends tend to try to pass so can steal the ball off them whereas eL guys have safety first approach.