PDA

View Full Version : Introduce me to new Bands!

eoinh
21/01/2005, 12:33 PM
Anybody got any links to videos or music downloads who they think will be big in future.

This would be my choice (although they've been around for a bit). Click on mp3s + videos at the bottom of the page and then the Burning Hearts vid. See here (http://www.lostdetective.com/index-new.html)

Gary
21/01/2005, 12:47 PM
Not a new band per se, but Ive heard a nice bit og their music recently. I think they are scottish. They are called INTERPOL.

Rulers Of The Planet - Cork band, excellent front man. Apparently a deal is in the pipeline

Cartoon (www.cartoon.ie) good funky, jazzy Cork outfit.

thecorner
21/01/2005, 12:54 PM
no link but id be expecting bigger things for simple kid this year

eoinh
21/01/2005, 1:02 PM
Not a new band per se, but Ive heard a nice bit og their music recently. I think they are scottish. They are called INTERPOL.

Rulers Of The Planet - Cork band, excellent front man. Apparently a deal is in the pipeline

INTERPOL sound good alright. That "evil" video is odd to say the least.

Ruairi
21/01/2005, 1:13 PM
no link but id be expecting bigger things for simple kid this year

SIMPLEKID.COM (http://www.simplekid.com)

bizarre site... his album's pretty good...

also check out restgopop.com (http://restgopop.com), they're an instrumental post-rock outfit. they're magic live, although they're so fecking loud you'll be hearing ringing in your ears for about two days afterwards...

Aldini98
21/01/2005, 1:21 PM

Not Scottish, but youre close, they're from New York :rolleyes:

eoinh
21/01/2005, 1:45 PM
Trying to get something by the Ones, electro/disco stuff - the backing music for George Michael's last song was a sample from their hit 'Absolutely Flawless'. They also had another very catchy number 'Superstar'. No sign of their stuff in HMV/Virgin.

Conor, try here (http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/intellisearch/phrase/The%20Ones)

Ive bought stuff from this site before and its reliable.

Kingdom
21/01/2005, 4:29 PM
Anyone who is into rock, and or, roll , should check out MYLO. Not bad . No links though. Sorry

fosterdollar
21/01/2005, 4:33 PM
Anyone who is into rock, and or, roll , should check out MYLO. Not bad . No links though. Sorry
And i'll second that - great album last year :cool:

barglee
21/01/2005, 4:37 PM
a little bit off topic but this is a cool link for listening to music at work or at home on a pc.....
if u wanna see how good an album is before u buy it etc...

https://order.real.com/pt/order.html?ppath=cpnocrh102403a&country=US&language=EN&src=r1default1-icon

songs are streamed so u cant save em.

has almost any song u could think of and you can listen to full songs(not just first 30 secs like i-tunes).

you can sign up for a week trial for free and keep signing up every week.
you just make up an email address (doesnt even have to be yours) and fake address etc ...
just remember the emailaddress and password u use.....

(make sure and use 5 digit zipcode)

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 4:39 PM
Mylo very good indeed. On the verge of breaking big-style (the ad for Sky News Extra uses one of his tunes, and TV3 use a different one on Sports Tonight).

Interpol good as well.

Other newish bands I like - The Kaiser Chiefs, The Delays, The Music (all Indie).

Older music that you may like if you haven't heard of - Afro-Celt Sound system (does exactly what it says on the box, over-layed with dance rhythms).

thecorner
31/01/2005, 12:02 PM
Mylo very good indeed.

played live in cork last week... great reviews

Clones Road Cas
31/01/2005, 1:02 PM
have to be seen to be belived. Bloc party and Killers good to. Mylo good.

You want to keep an eye out for new bands get onto nme.com or hotpress.ie

ken foree
31/01/2005, 2:41 PM
animal collective:

http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/release.php?id=107&FATSESS=1bebfb8ded1278b57059ff08dae15d73

dunno if that link works but fat cat records have samples from their last album 'sung tongs' - amazing experimental psych/folk/rock. god i hate labels.

Thomo
31/01/2005, 5:58 PM
chceck out a band called the others, and the domebadthings also.

ccfcman
31/01/2005, 10:19 PM
yourcodenameis:milo , rulersoftheplanet , thefutureheads .

Aldini98
01/02/2005, 8:26 AM
Jets To Brazil

Kingdom
01/02/2005, 11:37 AM
yourcodenameis:milo , rulersoftheplanet , thefutureheads .

yourcodenaleis: Milo are very , ehm, guitar orientated, which in my opinion is good.
Went into HMV the other day looking for stuff (album single etc) for Milo and was given a single by Mylo (dance, ahem, guru). Needless to say different and sh!t music

Pat O' Banton
03/02/2005, 5:23 PM
Not exactly new but haven't met many people who have heard The Kills first album (released about two years ago) I think that they have a new album out as they are on the cover of a couple of a couple of the cooler magazines (Arena or Time Out I think.) First album is absolutely superb IMO.

eoinh
03/02/2005, 5:43 PM
You can find The Kills live in concert here (http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/archief/index.jsp?showme=concerts)

Philo
11/02/2005, 1:51 PM
Just in case any of you haven't heard of it already, there's an album out at the moment from Sofa Records called "Music for People with Long Ears", containing 19 quality brand new tracks from mostly Irish unsigned bands.

The album was compiled by Cork bloke John Haggis, former singer with the Emperors of Ice Ceam. It features new songs from the likes of Dae Kim (Terry from TenSpeedRacer's new band), Stanley Super800 and Sunday Morning both from Cork, The Heard - a great Indie band from Waterford, Rafter from Dublin, who have just recorded their debut album, Salthouse from Wexford and the weird and wonderful Busty Duck Duck from Belgium.

It's on the shelves in all the main record shops and you can get it from Plugd (?) Records in Cork.

There's everything in there from good old rockin guitar tunes, to funk, even a bit of house thrown in for the laugh.

You can hear samples of the tracks at: www.sofarecords.ie

http://www.sofarecords.ie/images/long_ears.jpg

jebus
11/02/2005, 3:34 PM
Saw the Ordinary Boys on Monday in Limerick, they sounded very like early Jam, but a lot more influenced by two tone, so I'd check them out. Also KT Tunstall's album was pretty good, other than that the Delays are worth checking out alright. Stay clear of the Zutons though they're album is sh!te

noby
14/02/2005, 9:15 AM
Saw the Ordinary Boys on Monday in Limerick, they sounded very like early Jam, but a lot more influenced by two tone, so I'd check them out.

Was actually going to ask about them. I read a preview where they mentioned jam/2tone/smiths/morrissey influences. Haven't actually heard any of their stuff yet.

ken foree
14/02/2005, 1:23 PM
i just got a subscription to wire magazine :p , it's got more bands and artists in it than anyone would know what to do with. a lot cerebral at times but tons of new, out-there stuff. across all genres too, great mag :D

sadloserkid
14/02/2005, 8:54 PM
Not a new band at all but The Reindeer Section might be worth a listen for you.

Gareth
15/02/2005, 8:01 AM
New music.

Well try out mycodenameis:milo, they only have an ep out but the full album is due out in March/April. Not a new band but Bright Eyes aka Conor Oberst, has two new albums out, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, folky and "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn," with Nick Zinner appearing from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs who incidently have a new album out in Autumn 2005. Keep an eye out for the new QOTSA album. Apart from that The Chalets are set to make a move with their debut album after releasing a well recieved EP last year. Apart from that, its not so much new music this yera as cracking bands with new albums!!

Tom McRae is a guy I fully recommend to you if you like someone with a stunning voice! Two albums, self entitled debut and Just Like Blood are available in music stores with a third helping once his record label get past the release of their "main artists" albums. Oh and Red House Painters are a mellow, long running band worth listening to, new album out this year too! :)

Schumi
15/02/2005, 12:03 PM
Tom McRae is a guy I fully recommend to you if you like someone with a stunning voice! Two albums, self entitled debut and Just Like Blood are available in music stores with a third helping once his record label get past the release of their "main artists" albums.

I'd second that. Tom McRae is excellent. He's great live too.

Gareth
15/02/2005, 12:13 PM
Where you at the Whelans gig recently? Or did you see him in Oxegen or at a country venue? I was at the Whelans gig. Super!

Schumi
15/02/2005, 12:20 PM
Where you at the Whelans gig recently? Or did you see him in Oxegen or at a country venue? I was at the Whelans gig. Super!
I saw him a couple of years ago supporting BellX1 at the TBMC.

Gareth
15/02/2005, 12:22 PM
Excellent. Last time I saw BellX1 it was pretty much a non gig due to teh screams of all the teenage girls. It was very annoying. Even left before the end which is something I'd rarely do! He is super thou. Fully recommended.