PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

pineapple stu
10/06/2016, 7:10 PM
Don't see a thread for the tournament in general, as opposed to the Irish matches?

I really really hope that nonsense of counting down from 10 to start a match dies alongside whoever thought it would be a good idea. **** right off.

Have our miss of the tournament already I think. Romania should be 1-0 up.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2016, 7:19 PM
Alright game so far. First instance of "He won the ball" from commentary for a bad challenge too.

pineapple stu
10/06/2016, 7:40 PM
Goalline officials have to be the biggest waste of time ever. How can he not spot that was a corner from Griezmann's shot? They seem to spot nothing. Just get rid.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2016, 7:51 PM
Alright game so far. First instance of "He won the ball" from commentary for a bad challenge too.

This was a wild, dangerous overstatement. Got very scrappy towards the end of the first half. Have to appreciate Romanian gameplan though.

pineapple stu
10/06/2016, 8:08 PM
Stancu now first and second on the "worst miss" leaderboard.

Not a great game alright, but interesting.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2016, 8:20 PM
Giroud moved the keepers arms as he was moving to collect the cross. How is that not obstruction/undue interference?

pineapple stu
10/06/2016, 8:31 PM
Didn't think there was any intent to be honest. Keeper should have been stronger.

SkStu
10/06/2016, 9:47 PM
Screamer from Payet. Moment of genius to win it. France will have to improve if they have hopes of winning it.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2016, 9:50 PM
I don't really think intent matters there. If the keeper took one of Giroud's legs out as he moving to shoot, intent or no, it'd be a free, but the keeper has to just be stronger when an attacker directly interferes with his ability to collect a cross?

Referee lost the plot a bit in the second I thought. France should certainly have had a penalty, then no free or yellow when Evra got an elbow to the face. Even enough contest, Payet's spared the hosts blushes a bit. France clearly a bit rusty after two years of friendlies. Had to appreciate Romania's attitude and willingness to chase the ball and close the opposition down all game, thought they deserved a draw despite the fouling (as much as Payet's tears, I think I'll remember one of their defenders bleeding down the side of his face in the last minute and playing on).

bennocelt
10/06/2016, 9:57 PM
I thought they played well tbh, Romania were a hard enough team to break down..........

DannyInvincible
10/06/2016, 11:48 PM
Tomorrow's first game between Albania and Switzerland will be first time in a Euros that brothers play on opposing sides; Granit Xhaka will line out for the Swiss and Taulant Xhaka will play for Albania. In total, nine members of Albania's 23-man squad had the right to play for Switzerland and six members of the Swiss squad could have opted for Albania. This unusual occurrence is due to Switzerland having welcomed in thousands of Kosovan refugees escaping the Kosovan War in 1998-1999.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 7:52 AM
I don't really think intent matters there. If the keeper took one of Giroud's legs out as he moving to shoot, intent or no, it'd be a free, but the keeper has to just be stronger when an attacker directly interferes with his ability to collect a cross?
Thought it was just two players going up for a cross. The nick on the keeper's arm was unfortunate, but unintentional. If a free had been given, there'd have been complaints about over-protection of keepers. The reason the keeper's arm got nicked in the first place was because he wasn't attacking the ball properly - if he'd attacked in properly, reached the ball at a higher point and even got a strong punch away, the goal would enver have happened.

And on that note, much and all as Payet's goal was a screamer, I thought the keeper could have done more than just watch it go in. He was perfectly placed for the shot, which wasn't exactly in the corner. I know there was some power on it, but just thought a top keeper might have thrown himself across at it and maybe gotten a hand to it.

Maybe that's being harsh. But I think, as well as Romania played, they were ultimately undone by one bad keeping error and one awful miss - and let's give them the benefit of the doubt on the second instance in both cases. A better team mightn't let France off like that. (Not sure if they'll meet a better side before the quarters though, in fairness)

The flip side, then, is that maybe France have their home comp jitters out of the way now.

DeLorean
11/06/2016, 8:38 AM
Without checking back on every tournament it seemed like a standard opening performance from the hosts, plenty effort and enthusiasm but just not fully at it. Grinding out the win was the main thing but it does seem like their absentee(s) in defence might be too much to overcome.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 12:42 PM
And on that note, much and all as Payet's goal was a screamer, I thought the keeper could have done more than just watch it go in. He was perfectly placed for the shot, which wasn't exactly in the corner. I know there was some power on it, but just thought a top keeper might have thrown himself across at it and maybe gotten a hand to it.

I definitely agree on that. Better keepers would have been ready to dive when Payet got the ball - I see the likes of David De Gea on his toes ready to spring in the same kind of situation - and a save would have been perfectly possible with the right timing. Maybe his confidence was sapped by the first.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 1:07 PM
More dodgy keeping sees Switzerland go 1-0 up on their B team in just four minutes.

Also, that countdown again...

DannyInvincible
11/06/2016, 1:51 PM
God, aye, the countdown thing... I'd been hoping it was just an opening-game gimmick, but looks like it'll be a constant.

Cana might have been better leaving that ball and potentially conceding a goal rather than handling it to stop the chance as he surely knew he'd get a straight red. But it now has his team down to ten men and he'll miss their next game. He's their captain so he might well have left them worse off in the long-run all things considered.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 1:54 PM
Awful goalkeeping that time, didn't know what he was doing. Albania have a goal in them, because the Swiss seem surprisingly frail at the back, but the Swiss should really put them away early in the second.

I think Cana actually got a second yellow as opposed to a straight red, which I thought was quite odd.

DannyInvincible
11/06/2016, 1:59 PM
Awful goalkeeping that time, didn't know what he was doing. Albania have a goal in them, because the Swiss seem surprisingly frail at the back, but the Swiss should really put them away early in the second.

I think Cana actually got a second yellow as opposed to a straight red, which I thought was quite odd.

He did, you're right. It should have been a straight red as he was preventing a goal-scoring opportunity by handling (haven't looked it up but pretty certain's that's a sending-off offence in the rule-book), but it was definitely going to be a booking and Cana would have known he was already on a yellow, so unforgivable really. Unless he had a total brain-fart.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 2:00 PM
Yeah, don't know why it was a second yellow alright. Very cynical, knew exactly what he was doing and deserved a straight red.

Don't know does it make any difference in terms of the ban? Still just one game I presume?

Expect Switzerland to get a couple more in the second half now. Could see a 3-0 result.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 2:21 PM
Brian Kerr is great!

"You might have seen his underpants there - Oh holy God!"

TheOneWhoKnocks
11/06/2016, 2:45 PM
Cana is a headcase. Always has been.

How dafuq did Gashi miss that?

DannyInvincible
11/06/2016, 2:49 PM
How Albania haven't scored, I dunno. Spirited effort, but you have to take your chances.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 2:50 PM
Kerr talking about coats for goalposts out in Drimnagh, fantastic.

Some shocking misses from both teams, and Albania had no problem throwing themselves around, reminded me of Honduras in 2014. I was wondering if it was going to be like Estonia in that play-off - letting the occasion get to them and losing their heads completely - but the game was actually pretty even in the second. Think I'd fancy Romania to get the 3 against the Swiss to be honest.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 2:54 PM
Strange game. Albania were better with ten than with eleven. Thought their keeper was man of the match despite his howler costing them the game. Romania probably better than both teams on the showing of the opening games.

Stuttgart88
11/06/2016, 2:56 PM

Right on most counts, even if Albania didn't score. They came mightily close. Very ballsy second half. I felt for them even if they were quite cynical. I hate Liechsteiner. That was a penalty for me.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 4:05 PM
Ben Davis with the defensive moment of the tournament so far, clearing off the line after Welsh back line carved open. Came from Bale being caught in possession too. Rattled.

SkStu
11/06/2016, 4:15 PM
Quite the free from Bale. Thought the keeper had messed up but it looked like a really good strike with a lot of dip and swerve.

osarusan
11/06/2016, 4:34 PM
Silly to show replays of contentious decisions/incidents on the stadium big screens.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 4:35 PM
Yup; just undermines the referees.

That said, to me that's another awful miss by the goalline officials. He's two feet away and missed that. What's the point?

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 4:54 PM
Quite the free from Bale. Thought the keeper had messed up but it looked like a really good strike with a lot of dip and swerve.

Not sure there was enough swerve to excuse the keeper taking a step to his left. If he stayed put he'd have saved it.

On the extra officials, they talk to the ref via radio and can get over-ruled. It's possible they are flagging things, but the main official thinks differently.

Edit: Also, think Slovakia have been dire, bar the first three minutes.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 5:03 PM
On the extra officials, they talk to the ref via radio and can get over-ruled. It's possible they are flagging things, but the main official thinks differently.
True - and I think the fifth offical called the Romania penalty.

But how do you miss that? It's an elbow to the head?

There's been other examples too - can't think of them off hand, but I know there's been more than a few occasions where something has happened close to the fifth official, and no action has been taken.

And as they just remind me of the Henry handball, I feel justified in whinging about them. :)

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 5:19 PM
Loved that goal: great run and strength from Mak, great coolness from Duda to let the ball run across him instead of hitting it straight away.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2016, 5:52 PM
Really thought Slovakia were going to go on and win after Duda's goal, the Welsh seemed out on their feet around 75 minutes in. Fair play to them for weathering the storm and getting the win. Skertel was a thug all game, could have been sent off twice. Bale just vanished in the second, bar that header, but must be encouraging for the Welsh that they won despite that.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 6:56 PM
England fans disgracing themselves again, this time with the level of booing at the Russian anthem.

TheOneWhoKnocks
11/06/2016, 7:23 PM
Russia are dire all over the pitch.

Why couldn't they have been this bad five years ago?

Stuttgart88
11/06/2016, 7:50 PM
England very good, Russia rubbish.

tricky_colour
11/06/2016, 7:51 PM

It is one of those that starts out looking to curl one way but then seems to go back the other way, I don't know how they do it, there
must be some sort of technique in how you strike the ball, but it is tough for the keeper.

tricky_colour
11/06/2016, 7:56 PM
I backed Russia at 9/2 despite having backed England for the tournament, a bit contrary,
England can't put it in the net so far at least and Russia are capable of getting a goal so
could go either way, I expect Russia will have a better second half.

They seem to pretty useful when they play us!! That was a while back though, maybe they
have gone a bit carp, they have a few midfielders out I think.

Russia seem to be winning the off field battles though, some England fan in a serious condition
in hospital. Could well be trouble after the match.

Seems like ISIS have decided it is not a safe place to be!!!

osarusan
11/06/2016, 8:06 PM
Russia's passing is utterly atrocious.

SkStu
11/06/2016, 8:16 PM
It is one of those that starts out looking to curl one way but then seems to go back the other way, I don't know how they do it, there
must be some sort of technique in how you strike the ball, but it is tough for the keeper.

Yeah Bale and Ronaldo must practice them together because they have the same striking technique. I think they must strike down on the ball in some way to get that movement and dip. Beautiful to watch.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 8:47 PM
Good stuff!

Houghton-esque

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 8:50 PM
Best game of the tournament so far, largely because they were so much better than Russia for large swathes.

Russia improved second half in fairness. Though hard not to have.

What was the free for that England scored from again?

SkStu
11/06/2016, 8:55 PM
Good stuff!

Houghton-esque

Just came on to make the same comparison! :)

Stuttgart88
11/06/2016, 9:07 PM
I'm waiting for Owls Fan to come on and say "England, the gift that keeps giving".

SkStu
11/06/2016, 9:12 PM
Best game of the tournament so far, largely because they were so much better than Russia for large swathes.

Russia improved second half in fairness. Though hard not to have.

What was the free for that England scored from again?

Good question - was it obstruction? Therefore should it have been an indirect free kick? I'm not sure although I can't remember the last time I saw an indirect free kick given for that...

Anyway, Akinfeev was poor for the free. Gambled and lost - id have gambled against anyone getting it up and down from that close and covered the other side a little more. Way too much space for Dier to aim for.

Stuttgart88
11/06/2016, 9:13 PM
The problem being an Irish footy fan raised Catholic is that I feel that that's my share of God's favour used up for the week.

SkStu
11/06/2016, 9:16 PM
New week start tomorrow Stutts. We're golden.

tricky_colour
11/06/2016, 9:26 PM
Yeah Bale and Ronaldo must practice them together because they have the same striking technique. I think they must strike down on the ball in some way to get that movement and dip. Beautiful to watch.

Yea I was gonna say pretty much the same, maybe the keeper should have done his homework
and expect it move back the other way.

pineapple stu
11/06/2016, 9:30 PM
The problem being an Irish footy fan raised Catholic is that I feel that that's my share of God's favour used up for the week.
Fortunately, Monday is the start of a new week. :)

Stuttgart88
11/06/2016, 9:39 PM
I'm thinking on a rolling 7 day basis