PDA

View Full Version : Cork - 2005 European Capital of Culture

Superhoops
21/01/2005, 6:51 AM
From today's Indo: A motorist wielding a lump hammer attacked a city-centre traffic warden yesterday after receiving a parking ticket. The incident occurred at lunchtime on George's Quay, Cork, and was the latest in a series of attacks on traffic wardens.

Part of the on-street entertainment programme! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

patsh
21/01/2005, 7:39 AM
Does it personally offend you that Cork was awarded the city of culture role?:rolleyes:

Macy
21/01/2005, 7:48 AM
Does it personally offend you that Cork was awarded the city of culture role?:rolleyes:
I just don't believe in it - I mean, how can you take it seriously when the scousers are next up ;)

patsh
21/01/2005, 9:38 AM
I just don't believe in it - I mean, how can you take it seriously when the scousers are next up ;)
Fair enough, maybe Longford should have a shot at it sometime,;)
but Mr. Superhoop seems a tad put out by the whole thing.....

Troy.McClure
21/01/2005, 11:54 AM
Could have been worse though :(

From RTE (http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0120/dublin.html)
Murder investigation launched in Dublin

20 January 2005 22:25

Gardaí in Dublin have launched a murder investigation in relation to the death of a 49-year-old man at Dolphin House in Rialto last night.

Post mortem results have revealed that Thomas Brady died as a result of head injuries.

The separated father of six was found at a flat at Dolphin House shortly before 8pm last night. He was taken to St James's Hospital where he later died.

Gardaí are renewing their appeal for anyone who was in the Dolphin's House area last night between 6pm and 8pm to contact them at Kilmainham Garda Station on 01-6669700

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 2:13 PM

To be fair, Liverpool would wipe the floor with every town and city in Ireland bar Dublin when it comes to contemporary cultural contributions. Music, comedy, sport, television etc etc. Not to mention fashion, thieving and compo claims... ;)

The thing I don't like about it all is the fact that it rotates religiously. Galway will probably be the next rep for the Republic in 25 years time, after which feck knows who'll get it - Letterkenny ? Ballhaunis ? Best thing would be to nominate Belfast or Derry and show a bit of balls, but that could be politically very tricky....

Who does Luxembourg nominate each time....?

Macy
21/01/2005, 2:19 PM
Music, comedy, sport, television etc etc
Cilla, Tarby, Everton and Bread? :D

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 2:24 PM
Cilla, Tarby, Everton and Bread? :D

The Beatles, The Merseybeats, The Farm, The Lightening Seeds, The Coral, Tranmere Rovers, Ricky Tomlinson, Freddy Boswell, Tracksuit and perm combos, the English slave trade, and an accent that's more Irish than it is English..... :eek: :)

Macy
21/01/2005, 2:46 PM
The Beatles, The Merseybeats, The Farm, The Lightening Seeds, The Coral, Tranmere Rovers, Ricky Tomlinson, Freddy Boswell, Tracksuit and perm combos, the English slave trade, and an accent that's more Irish than it is English..... :eek: :)
I'll give you the Beatles out of the list (even if I don't rate them as highly as others)..... And it's Shell Suits and Perm combo's. Which part of Ireland has an accent that shít?

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 3:15 PM
Which part of Ireland has an accent that shít?

Most of the Republic..... ! :D :p

Macy
21/01/2005, 3:27 PM
Most of the Republic..... ! :D :p
Ah come on, pretty easy to understand any accent on the island - the same can't be said of scouse. :)

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 3:38 PM
Ah come on, pretty easy to understand any accent on the island - the same can't be said of scouse. :)

It all depends what you're used to. I've no problems understanding Scouse. I'd say that Geordie or hardcore Glaswegian were tougher ones to make out anyway.

And no-one outside of Ireland even believes people from Cork and Kerry speak English.... :D

patsh
21/01/2005, 4:15 PM
And no-one outside of Ireland even believes people from Cork and Kerry speak English.... :D
Well that includes you, doesn't it?;)
Cork people are the only people on the island who speak English!...:D

dcfcsteve
21/01/2005, 4:41 PM
Well that includes you, doesn't it?;)
Cork people are the only people on the island who speak English!...:D

It does include me.

And I agree with everyone else !

:D

Fair_play_boy
22/01/2005, 1:19 AM
Ah come on, pretty easy to understand any accent on the island . . . I read somewhere that in the halls of power in Strasbourg and Brussels, Bertie Ahern is regarded as the only remaining non-English speaking EU leader! :D

anto eile
22/01/2005, 1:35 PM
From today's Indo: A motorist wielding a lump hammer attacked a city-centre traffic warden yesterday after receiving a parking ticket. The incident occurred at lunchtime on George's Quay, Cork, and was the latest in a series of attacks on traffic wardens.

Part of the on-street entertainment programme! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

clearly a case of self defence

Superhoops
22/01/2005, 6:51 PM
Does it personally offend you that Cork was awarded the city of culture role?:rolleyes:Could not care less.
Obviously whoever gives the award had a sense of humour by awarding it to Cork in the first place, which is more than can be said for some of its locals.

patsh
22/01/2005, 8:35 PM
Could not care less.
Obviously whoever gives the award had a sense of humour by awarding it to Cork in the first place, which is more than can be said for some of its locals.
For someone who couldn't care less, you seem to want to be as negative as possible about it, trying to made a ludicrous link between the capital of culture and a totally un-related criminal incident.
By your avatar I see you seem to hold some sort of a Bray connection, so because of that, I guess your world must seem like a very bleak place.....:cool:

Superhoops
22/01/2005, 10:27 PM
For someone who couldn't care less, you seem to want to be as negative as possible about it, trying to made a ludicrous link between the capital of culture and a totally un-related criminal incident.
By your avatar I see you seem to hold some sort of a Bray connection, so because of that, I guess your world must seem like a very bleak place.....:cool:
Typical Rebel, happy enough when dishing out sarcastic remarks about other people and places, but so very very touchy when their beloved Cork is the butt of similar wind ups. Siege mentality or what! Lighten up man. :(

As for Bray, it's not the world's liveliest spot, but we do have a sense of humour, you need one if you follow Wanderers! :D

BTW, if you ever start a 'Protect our Traffic Wardens' fund down there, let us know. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
22/01/2005, 10:37 PM
Fair play to the motorist. The worse crime you can commit in this country is to own a car. You buy the car and pay VRT not to mention VAT. You buy fuel for the thing... TAX , TAX and more TAX in the price of fuel. You have to pay an annual charge to drive the thing called CAR TAX and then of course there is the racket with the 9 month wait for a driving test.
Insurance is another rip off.

You want to get some where reasonably quickly you have to pay TOLLS. And you cannot park without PAYING AGAIN. Jayziz drug dealers and murderers get an easier time of it.

Don't get me started on the inappropriate speed limits. :mad:

patsh
23/01/2005, 11:59 AM
Typical Rebel, happy enough when dishing out sarcastic remarks about other people and places, but so very very touchy when their beloved Cork is the butt of similar wind ups. Siege mentality or what! Lighten up man.
Typical.....
You only deal in humour and wind-ups, your targets only get touchy....:rolleyes:
A bit of free and friendly advice; don't ever try to make a living on the comedy circuit....:cool:

Superhoops
23/01/2005, 12:40 PM
...don't ever try to make a living on the comedy circuit....Not down in Cork anyway! :p