PDA

View Full Version : Week-ending 5th June Matches

nigel-harps1954
03/06/2016, 11:27 PM
No thread for tonights matches lads. Form is slipping here.

Some big results in the league tonight and really tightens things up.

Harps much the better side against a poor Sligo team tonight. Should have been 5-0 and Harps played some very nice football at times. Amazing what happens when we go out and attack against a team.

Goals:

1-0: Sean Houston 1

2-0: Ryan Curran

3-0: Sean Houston 2 (Assisted by Schlingermann)

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2016, 12:42 AM
That's some desperate defending for all three, but tidy from Harps and the first in particular a great finish.

Rovers were OK today. Did what Pats did to us in Tallaght and just counter-attacked, scored with our only two chances of the game. The young players getting a run now look a hell of a lot better than some of the more experienced heads.

Yossarian
04/06/2016, 1:51 AM
Just in the door from a disappointing night in Cork. We were very poor in the first half, Paddy Barret was terrible at full back and really should have tried to tackle Dooley before the goal instead of backing off. From where we were the sending off looked fair enough but watching the video Shields got the ball but he really has to learn that if you lose control of the ball you can't just dive in to get it back, though Beattie really made a meal of it.
We were much better in the second half and deserved an equaliser. Cork really should have put the game to bed. It's a wake up call for us and I think McEleney has to start the next game, he made a big difference when he came on.
The break has come at a good time for us. It will be interesting to see now can Cork build on that or will they do the same as after their win in Oriel.

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2016, 2:18 AM
It was the second leg that did for Shields I think. It wasn't a terrible tackle but I don't think he was in control of the ball and made firm contact with Beattie's foot. Think Kenny's comments about Beattie were a bit strong - he did come down on the top of his foot, even if his studs were down. It certainly hurts when that happens.

Dalymountrower
04/06/2016, 3:19 AM
Petulant display from Dundalk.O'Donnell should have got a second yellow and Shields's tackle on Beattie was a straight red all day long.
Deserved win for Cork but they did bottle it in the last ten mins and should have conceded an equaliser.
Four wins on the bounce in all competitions for Bohs, break coming at the wrong time.
Not surprised at the Pats result, no fight in them at all.Nutsy safe for the season now I'd say.

ToberonaTornado
04/06/2016, 4:06 AM
Petulant display from Dundalk.O'Donnell should have got a second yellow and Shields's tackle on Beattie was a straight red all day long.
Fair enough the ref has only a short time to make up his mind and no replay.But no Red card here.
https://twitter.com/SetantaSports/status/738818839425785856

Charlie Darwin
04/06/2016, 5:10 AM
Not surprised at the Pats result, no fight in them at all.Nutsy safe for the season now I'd say.
Nutsy was never going to be sacked. Bad look for a club to keep sacking every manager. He'll either step down or be replaced in 18 months.

micls
04/06/2016, 5:28 AM
Fair enough the ref has only a short time to make up his mind and no replay.But no Red card here.

For me, by the book that's a red. He lost control and then lunged in with both feet. I wouldn't have complained if it was a yellow, I think it could have been given either way, but I don't think he can complain too much. It was a rash tackle.

I feel like the people who go on about players making a meal of tackles like that haven't played football. Yes, the studs were down, but that **** hurts.

sadloserkid
04/06/2016, 8:16 AM
The red card happened close to where I was sitting. Tbh in real time I though it was a bit harsh but watching back I don't think Shields can have too many complaints, I don't think it was malicious but he wasn't in control and I think you can see Beattie's ankle takes the brunt of it.

Good crowd at the game, plenty of noise. Though Bolger was a deserved MOTM, Sean Maguire did a much better job at holding up the play as a lone striker than Daryl Murphy did in the same ground Tuesday. Was a little disappointed with Cork after the red card. The missed penalty was spectacular enough too.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself and that's the main thing. :)

pineapple stu
04/06/2016, 8:43 AM
watching back I don't think Shields can have too many complaints, I don't think it was malicious but he wasn't in control and I think you can see Beattie's ankle takes the brunt of it.
That's how I see it alright. It's the potential a lunge like that has to cause damage - to both players - that's the main problem. That's a red for me.

In First Division news, Shels aren't up to much.

oriel
04/06/2016, 4:31 PM
Disappointing result for Dundalk, but we were very poor in the first half. Cork worked harder for it, and without been over impressive were better all over the park in the first 45. We actually looked better with 10 men ! and finally had a go with 20 mins to go, McEleney made a huge difference and we could have nicked a draw, Kilduff really should have done better on 90 mins with that chance, and Barrett had a great chance taken off the line just before, great defending to be fair by Maguire.

Dooley was very impressive in the first half for Cork, he ran amok at times down that left side, not sure why Gannon wasn't available but he would have made a difference.

A lot has been made of the red card, but for me, I don't know why Shields needed to go in like that, he gave the ref an easier decision to make, I`ll have to see it a few more times, watching in a pub tv is hard to see, but it really looked like he went in with 2 feet after he lost the ball. We were also poor upfront prior to the last 10.

Overall I have no complaints with the result, it was a big win for Cork, no doubt about that, but we are still ahead and bookies favourites, we'll need to do a lot better than last night though to back this up.

Anyway, its over to Euro 2016 now, the tv version for me !!, looking forward to the break.

patrickccfc
04/06/2016, 7:17 PM
Are limerick about to lose? Drogheda go ahead in the 89th minute

Or not... 92nd minute equalizer

Longfordian
04/06/2016, 7:18 PM
It's all up for grabs now

Maybe not, 2-2 now.

El-Pietro
04/06/2016, 7:24 PM
Limerick continue to concede at a very high rate. They might be able to outscore their way out of that division but they haven't fixed the problems that caused their relegation.

pineapple stu
04/06/2016, 7:35 PM
In fairness, they've the best defensive record in the division (partly on account of them hammering everyone else), and it's only a goal a game against.

Don't think it's a huge issue to be honest. It's actually quite decent for a Martin Russell team.

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2016, 8:05 PM
Good point for City last night after going down to ten men. Will take that into the break no problem. We've quite a few tired bodies at this point so it's coming at just the right time.

Pleased to see Houston revelling at Harps. Always quite like him at City, struggled a bit with injuries and us generally being rubbish but showed flashes of quality.

MeathDrog
04/06/2016, 11:14 PM
It's all up for grabs now

Maybe not, 2-2 now.
Sport can be a cruel mistress. Great game of ball to be fair.

bluewhitearmy
05/06/2016, 2:26 AM
Its not even that we are overly bad defensively all the time ( a shambles at time fair enough) its that Russell will openly tell you he will keep attacking even at the cost of conceding, great to watch this year but hopefully not the plan next year.

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2016, 2:52 AM
Its not even that we are overly bad defensively all the time ( a shambles at time fair enough) its that Russell will openly tell you he will keep attacking even at the cost of conceding, great to watch this year but hopefully not the plan next year.
It will be the plan next year because that's how Russell always wants his teams to play.

bluewhitearmy
05/06/2016, 3:08 AM
It will be the plan next year because that's how Russell always wants his teams to play.

It's kind of why I don't think we will push on in premier with Russell tbh

Charlie Darwin
05/06/2016, 4:14 AM
It's kind of why I don't think we will push on in premier with Russell tbh
It didn't do Paul Cook's Sligo much harm though. Limerick will have a very competitive budget when they get promoted and, ultimately, it's the quality of player that will determine how well his tactics work. If he gets promoted and winds up with the same squad he did 18 months ago, you'll struggle, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Jofspring
05/06/2016, 9:33 AM
The result last night has been coming for us for a while. I thought we might even lose before kick off. Hall, Duggan, Greene, Coughlan all injured. We haven't looked the same team going forward without Duggie. Too many diagonal balls when not on and too many balls over the top. No one seems to be picking it up from the centre halves and driving forward with it.

disgruntled
05/06/2016, 11:28 AM

Sorry but that's a red card every day of the week.
Two feet, Off the ground & out of control.
Shields had lost the ball & went in recklessly.
No need for it as Beattie wasn't going to do any damage from where he was.

That's fine in the 1st Division but you won't get those goals in the Premier Division so those conceded goals will hurt a lot more. I'm glad Limerick are doing so well. It would be great if Waterford & Cobh were to do as well.
Cobh are doing ok but poor Waterford are in the mire.

osarusan
05/06/2016, 8:04 PM
I thought Thornton was excellent for Drogheda last night. Every time Lynch got the ball, Thornton was right in front of him, forcing him sideways. Without Duggan as a second outlet, we were contained easily enough.

brendy_éire
06/06/2016, 3:14 PM
Good point for City last night after going down to ten men. Will take that into the break no problem. We've quite a few tired bodies at this point so it's coming at just the right time.

Indeed. Not a great game to watch, but happy that with the result.
Pretty stupid from McCormack to get himself sent off so early on, pure needless.

Thought Galway were poor now. Had a few chances but failed to really take advantage of their extra man.

Come the halfway point of the season, I'm happy with where we're at. After losing the first game to Harps, we all feared the worst, but a top half finish is now a possibility. And maybe with a few a summer signings, more than that?