PDA

View Full Version : Town internationals

Rocky77
03/06/2016, 12:22 PM
With Ayman Ben Mohamed away with Tunisia it got me thinking about Town players who have played senior international football either before, during or after their stay with us.

Off the top of my head: Dave Savage, Avery John, Keith Gillespie, Eric Lavine, Alvin Rouse.

Honourable mentions to Graham Gartland who almost got on the 07 tour to America and Gints Freimanis who played friendliest but was never a Town player.

Anyone else?!

sorbothegreek
03/06/2016, 1:19 PM
One from the early 90's and the answer to a question i like to ask

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synan_Braddish

Longfordian
03/06/2016, 4:06 PM
Does anyone but you (and possibly Marty) ever know the answer?

Martinho II
03/06/2016, 5:12 PM
Sean Fallon who played for us in the mid forties later played with Sligo Rovers and Celtic. Whilst with Celtic in the fifties he won Ireland caps. If I find out any more players I will get back to ye!

sorbothegreek
04/06/2016, 1:47 PM
Does anyone but you (and possibly Marty) ever know the answer?

I don't even think the Oracle got that one. Though I do remember one chap getting it after limited prompting. C.McG

Martinho II
04/06/2016, 11:26 PM
With Ayman Ben Mohamed away with Tunisia it got me thinking about Town players who have played senior international football either before, during or after their stay with us.

Off the top of my head: Dave Savage, Avery John, Keith Gillespie, Eric Lavine, Alvin Rouse.

Honourable mentions to Graham Gartland who almost got on the 07 tour to America and Gints Freimanis who played friendliest but was never a Town player.

Anyone else?!

remind me of Garto. how close was he again? cant remember it at all!

Martinho II
04/06/2016, 11:32 PM
Sean Fallon who played for us in the mid forties later played with Sligo Rovers and Celtic. Whilst with Celtic in the fifties he won Ireland caps. If I find out any more players I will get back to ye!

Thank God I kept my books on ex Irish internationals who have played for the ROI since 1924.

I came across three more players:

1.Shay Gibbons won Ireland caps in 1952 whilst with St Pats and played part of the 59-60 season for us scoring 11 goals that season as I have the majority of the stats from that season.

2.Tommy O Connor won a cap for Ireland in 1949 whilst with Shamrock Rovers and played for us. I am not sure of the year he played for us as I havent come across him yet in research into the club as I am up to late 1958 going backwards but I have it of good authority he played for us perhaps in the early 50s.

3.Gerry Malone won caps for Ireland in 1949 and later played for us in the 54-55 season when we got to the FAI Cup.I think Malone got the cap playing for a Dublin club ?

RiffRaff
05/06/2016, 10:08 AM
I think Avery John is the only player to win a full cap while playing with us

Martinho II
05/06/2016, 8:39 PM
wot about Lavine ? did he not win caps whilst with us??

Longfordian
05/06/2016, 11:16 PM
Played for Barbados until 2003 as per Wikipedia so he would have been with us at that stage. How accurate that is I don't know.

Martinho II
14/06/2016, 7:41 PM
Thank God I kept my books on ex Irish internationals who have played for the ROI since 1924.

I came across three more players:

1.Shay Gibbons won Ireland caps in 1952 whilst with St Pats and played part of the 59-60 season for us scoring 11 goals that season as I have the majority of the stats from that season.

2.Tommy O Connor won a cap for Ireland in 1949 whilst with Shamrock Rovers and played for us. I am not sure of the year he played for us as I havent come across him yet in research into the club as I am up to late 1958 going backwards but I have it of good authority he played for us perhaps in the early 50s.

3.Gerry Malone won caps for Ireland in 1949 and later played for us in the 54-55 season when we got to the FAI Cup.I think Malone got the cap playing for a Dublin club ?

When doing further research today found out that Tommy O Connor played for us in 1957. I know that Gerry Malone played before for Shels but I am still finding to find out who he played for when he won his Irish cap so bear with me on this!