PDA

View Full Version : New Captain?

sligoman
18/01/2005, 10:43 PM
Is Michael McNamara our new captain? According to this he is anyway: http://www.thebitored.org/

It says-Also present on the night will be Sligo Rovers club Captain, Michael McNamara and first team player/coach Gerry Carr.

SligoRoversfan
19/01/2005, 6:28 PM
either McNamara or Raf would be the best chioce

Petmuller
20/01/2005, 9:53 PM
I predict that we'll have a new captain for next season. Last season and indeed for many seasons we have been leaderless on the pitch, I expect Sean Connor knows the value of having a 'talker' on the pitch and with this in mind one of his new signings will also take on the responsibility of leader on the pitch.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, either Ralph or Michael Mac just dont have the leadership qualities necessary. Good players in their own right but not leaders.

d_kieran
21/01/2005, 9:48 AM
Stephen O'Donnell would make an excellant captain, as he always gives 100%, talented footballer and not afraid to get stuck in, like Roy Keane.

Redzer
21/01/2005, 12:22 PM
Stephen O'Donnell would make an excellant captain, as he always gives 100%, talented footballer and not afraid to get stuck in, like Roy Keane.
Totally agree. He's always talking to the players around him, and urging them on. When we were under pressure, he was always the man to show true leadership and grit. I dont think a new signing would make a good captian, cos it takes time to get to know the players and get their confidance. For me O'Donnell is the man.

gustavo
21/01/2005, 12:33 PM
id go for raf he has been in the team the longest and has been the most consistent player for us over the last five years very rare he has a bad game .

Petmuller
21/01/2005, 3:07 PM
I dont think a new signing would make a good captian, cos it takes time to get to know the players and get their confidance. For me O'Donnell is the man.

I must disagree with you here, Redzer old chap. A good captain is made up of many attributes. First of all he has to be good at his own game before he can even try to concentrate on the games of those around. A good captain is unique. Roy Keane as used in other posts could captain any side and do a great job of it - Roy Keane is unique. A good player won't take long to win the confidence of those around him but he still has to be able to impose himself on others in order to be captain. Michael McNamara is not a talker, he can be a very good player but needs all his efforts to concentrate on his own game and is not totally aware of the players around him which qualifies a good player to be captain. This by no means means he is lacking something in his game but it does say he's not captain material. Ralf is basically in the same boat as McNamara.

Stephen O' Donnell has been mentioned also as Redzer's choice. Again I'd have to disagree here. O' Donnell broke on to the scene in a blaze of glory and he caught everyone by surprise, manager, players, fans, opposition, the lot. As the season progressed he burned out too quickly and his game suffered. Even at his peak he wasn't captain material in my opinion.
I still think we have to look at what comes in and hope Sean Connor realises that we do need a leader, which I'm confident he does, and he gets the player needed.

As I said in a previous post, it's years since Rovers had a good leader/captain on the pitch. I think Gavin Dykes was the last and he never was replaced.

redrov2005
21/01/2005, 11:25 PM
There is only one man for the job...............Gareth Gorman !!!

Apparently it's not just what he does on the pitch,but it's the way he shares his knowledge with the younger kids.

A truely talented pro who has always given everything in the cause of Rovers. It just has to be Gareth the Gaffer !!!

SligoRoversfan
25/01/2005, 5:54 PM
mclaughlin maybe?? if we get him

gustavo
25/01/2005, 5:56 PM
we should have a poll! i still say raf.

sligoman
25/01/2005, 7:19 PM
we should have a poll!

I think so too but is Paraic ever on this forum? :confused:

Petmuller
25/01/2005, 8:09 PM
Our new captain was signed today.
Just remember where and when you read it first :p

Schumi
26/01/2005, 12:40 PM
we should have a poll! i still say raf.
You do know that as a moderator, you can set up a poll yourself?

dublinred
26/01/2005, 1:08 PM
Our new captain was signed today.
Just remember where and when you read it first :p

He was captain before , does that count as new.