PDA

View Full Version : LoI international call-ups

pineapple stu
20/05/2016, 1:44 PM
There's a few LoI players been called up to foreign national squads - Ayman Ben Mohammed (Bohs; ex-UCD) is the newest; called up by Tunisia (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0520/789793-bohs-wingerben-mohammed-stunned-by-tunisia-call-up/).

Bit of a surprise! Didn't think Tunisia were that badly off, with respect to Ayman.

outspoken
20/05/2016, 3:11 PM
Quality player, Longford should be sick for not doing more to try keep him, we've lost out on a huge pay day down the road Coz there's no doubt this boy will go right to the top. I expect this call up to have a negative effect on bohs however, plus Ramadan greatly effects him too

Longfordian
20/05/2016, 5:35 PM
I think he just likes an easy life and travelling to Leixlip and Longford regularly was a bit too much like hard work. He wouldn't be on much more in Bohs than he was with us.

outspoken
20/05/2016, 9:18 PM
His potential was clear to everyone though after just a handful of games, why not say right this lad is a talent lets offer him a contact now before the big boys come calling at the end of the year. This is the sort of mentality that doesn't exist within LOI.

pineapple stu
20/05/2016, 9:56 PM
His potential was clear to everyone though after just a handful of games, why not say right this lad is a talent lets offer him a contact now before the big boys come calling at the end of the year. This is the sort of mentality that doesn't exist within LOI.
Because you didn't read Longfordian's post - he likes an easy life.

This is a guy who gave up his scholarship by leaving UCD to play for Trinity without telling anyone at UCD, remember.

Great talent if he's bothered. And I suspect, deep down, he's not really.

Longfordian
20/05/2016, 10:08 PM
Because you didn't read Longfordian's post - he likes an easy life.

This is a guy who gave up his scholarship by leaving UCD to play for Trinity without telling anyone at UCD, remember.

Great talent if he's bothered. And I suspect, deep down, he's not really.

This. Hugely talented by LOI standards but if things get overly physical (for example) he isn't the type of guy who's going to jump up with a point to prove.

gustavo
20/05/2016, 11:00 PM
Someone should point out Tunisia on a map to him if he thought Longford was too much of a slog

SkStu
20/05/2016, 11:14 PM
This. Hugely talented by LOI standards but if things get overly physical (for example) he isn't the type of guy who's going to jump up with a point to prove.

He has been tubthumping all season by all accounts though. Was being hacked down left right and centre against Galway tonight according to ET and posters on the Bohs MB. I think most who go to games would agree that he has shown a lot all season even when the going gets tough (and rough).

sorbothegreek
21/05/2016, 12:12 AM
I'd actually say there was a bit of admirable fight in the young lad. He'd get a kick and it would drive him on more than discourage him. I think he has a good portion of someone like Paddy McCourt's ability which are rare in our league. Hard to know how far he'll go but I'd say he has abilities that you wont often see at your local pitch.

outspoken
21/05/2016, 6:15 AM
Yeah I wouldn't agree at all, many times I saw him win the ball back off much bigger and stronger players. He was a little warrior

pineapple stu
21/05/2016, 8:43 AM
I agree he has a bit of physicality in him - more than you'd think from his size - but I've still seen plenty of players who have the ability but don't convert that into career progression. Paul Byrne was a better forward than Conor Sammon, for example, but he never had the same drive that Sammo did. Same with Ayman.

Maybe the call-up will help him push on. And either way, best of luck to him obviously.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2016, 3:20 AM
I think he just likes an easy life and travelling to Leixlip and Longford regularly was a bit too much like hard work. He wouldn't be on much more in Bohs than he was with us.
He's from south Dublin, so travelling to Leixlip and Longford isn't much worse than going to Phibsborough, and less stressful as a driver.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2016, 3:22 AM
He has been tubthumping all season by all accounts though. Was being hacked down left right and centre against Galway tonight according to ET and posters on the Bohs MB. I think most who go to games would agree that he has shown a lot all season even when the going gets tough (and rough).
I've seen him a lot for UCD and Bohs and he gets kicked to bits. I don't think he's interested in being a pro footballer all that much, but he definitely has the stomach for it.

nigel-harps1954
27/05/2016, 10:31 AM
Gary Rogers been training with the Irish squad again and could be in the squad for Netherlands game tonight.

shep
27/05/2016, 5:59 PM
Gary Rogers on bench tonight,great to see it

D24Saint
28/05/2016, 8:38 AM
Gary Rogers on bench tonight,great to see it
Reckon he has a great chance of a cap against Belarus, delighted for him.

White Horse
28/05/2016, 10:20 AM
Well done Gary. Great for him and the league.

nigel-harps1954
28/05/2016, 11:02 AM
Reckon he has a great chance of a cap against Belarus, delighted for him.

He'll likely not be there against Belarus with Forde and Westwood returning.

pineapple stu
04/06/2016, 10:14 AM
Tunisia won 3-0. There's loads of photos on the Tunisian FA website (including one strangely pasty-faced Tunisian player!) -

http://www.ftf.org.tn/fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/AM1P7932-copie.jpg?3dfc45

- but he didn't even make the bench in the end unfortunately.

twNr4WWZqa4

I don't know what happened with the fourth goal (9:30), but it seems to have been disallowed despite Tunisia's best effort to celebrate it.

3:23 is gas too - Tunisian keeper daftly handling a back-pass.