PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: Why there are two Irish teams?

davegaasports
20/05/2016, 9:34 AM
I had a very interesting chat with Cormac Moore, author of a new book that looks at the reasons why there are two Ireland teams competing internationally.

He discovered that there were many past efforts made to bring the teams together.

Listen here (https://www.ybig.ie/podcast-the-irish-soccer-split-a-new-book-by-cormac-byrne/)

Gather round
20/05/2016, 2:42 PM
I had a very interesting chat with Cormac Moore, author of a new book that looks at the reasons why there are two Ireland teams competing internationally.

He discovered that there were many past efforts made to bring the teams together.

Listen here (https://www.ybig.ie/podcast-the-irish-soccer-split-a-new-book-by-cormac-byrne/)

Whatever the historical background from the 20s, 50s or 70s- thoroughly covered by Cormac in the book- the reason why two teams endure is that neither's fans are willing for theirs to dissolve. Which, unsurprisingly, isn't really addressed in the podcast interview. Instead, we heard about a couple of academic sociology surveys suggesting that people from the PUL community who aren't interested in football wouldn't mind if there was a cross-border team. Presumably as they're unaware that one already exists, albeit bulked out by English and Scottish players ;)

My fave bit is Cormac's claim that there might well have been a UI team in the 70s but for the Troubles. Or essentially, there would have been broad civic co-operation between Unionists and Nationalists but for the slight snag that there wasn't.

Interesting historically, a daydream in the present basically.

gastric
21/05/2016, 12:48 AM
Whatever the historical background from the 20s, 50s or 70s- thoroughly covered by Cormac in the book- the reason why two teams endure is that neither's fans are willing for theirs to dissolve. Which, unsurprisingly, isn't really addressed in the podcast interview. Instead, we heard about a couple of academic sociology surveys suggesting that people from the PUL community who aren't interested in football wouldn't mind if there was a cross-border team. Presumably as they're unaware that one already exists, albeit bulked out by English and Scottish players ;)

My fave bit is Cormac's claim that there might well have been a UI team in the 70s but for the Troubles. Or essentially, there would have been broad civic co-operation between Unionists and Nationalists but for the slight snag that there wasn't.

Interesting historically, a daydream in the present basically.

Tell us about your academic qualifications and expertise on this historical issue? Is it a masters you have on Irish football or it just your usual narrow minded, parochial attitude at work as usual?

Metrostars
21/05/2016, 2:08 AM
#1 reason we still have two teams: Blazers

Gather round
21/05/2016, 7:59 AM
#1 reason we still have two teams: Blazers

If that were even a minor reason- let alone the most important- you might expect there to be a consistent clamor from NI fans for a merger/ takeover/ whatever to rescue us from the hapless IFA.

There isn't.

Tell us about your academic qualifications and expertise on this historical issue? Is it a masters you have on Irish football or it just your usual narrow minded, parochial attitude at work as usual?

Degree in modern history from Dublin University since you ask, not that I needed it to read and learn from Cormac's book.

I prefer to argue my point backed with evidence, rather than lazily pull rank. Or spout witless abuse.

If I was narrow-minded or parochial I wouldn't have read the book or listened to the author, let alone discuss them on another team's fan website.

Do better.

gastric
21/05/2016, 9:20 AM
If that were even a minor reason- let alone the most important- you might expect there to be a consistent clamor from NI fans for a merger/ takeover/ whatever to rescue us from the hapless IFA.

There isn't.

Degree in modern history from Dublin University since you ask, not that I needed it to read and learn from Cormac's book.

I prefer to argue my point backed with evidence, rather than lazily pull rank. Or spout witless abuse.

If I was narrow-minded or parochial I wouldn't have read the book or listened to the author, let alone discuss them on another team's fan website.

Do better.

I asked if you had a degree in Irish football, not a degree in modern history, although the bizarre thing is I actually have a masters from UCD, though why I did it is still a question I ask myself! Isn't life funny. BTW, I am still not aware of this so called evidence you refer to. All I see in your posts is a narrow minded smugness that is parochial and hard to comprehend.

geysir
21/05/2016, 4:22 PM
narrow minded smugness

According to Gather Round, the fact that he comes to this forum to give across his opinions is evidence that he is not narrow minded :D

I suppose there are some parts of the universe where such an adventure would be regarded as radical and open minded.

tetsujin1979
21/05/2016, 4:31 PM
can we continue the discussion without personal insults? That'd be great, thanks.

Closed Account
22/05/2016, 4:56 AM
can we continue the discussion without personal insults? That'd be great, thanks.
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/59886817.jpg

Why are there different football teams at all? Why not have one 11 for everyone, the world.

tetsujin1979
22/05/2016, 10:24 AM
You're just lucky Office Space is one of my favourite films 😉

shakermaker1982
22/05/2016, 1:11 PM
GR

There is a good interview with your gaffa on iTunes. The big interview with Graham Hunter