PDA

View Full Version : Intertoto Cup

Seanie
24/01/2002, 8:01 AM
Hate to be so pessimistic, but after Sunday I reckon the best we can get this season is an Intertoto spot. But since the first round is due to kick-off on 22/23 June, it is going to be completely overshadowed by the conclusion to the World Cup.

Neil
24/01/2002, 8:56 AM
I'd call that optimistic! Fifth spot looks more likely for us.

James
24/01/2002, 9:42 AM
Originally posted by Seanie
since the first round is due to kick-off on 22/23 June, it is going to be completely overshadowed by the conclusion to the World Cup.

oh dear looks like the 2 are going to clash..guess that means we wont see any board members on the away intertoto trip as its nearly certain to be in eastern europe / baltics like last year so not sure would they risk missing an important game such as a world cup one...

ah well guess it means more room on the plane though if they and their junket buddies wont be travelling though

Seanie
24/01/2002, 10:07 AM
Right so I'm being optimistic about our pessimistic chances this season. Seriously we ought to finish fourth, but if we can beat any of the top three and get a little luck besides, we might sneak into third. If Rovers win the Cup, fourth spot will qualify for the Intertoto - but I'd rather sacrafice our European spot than see that.

Éanna
24/01/2002, 10:24 AM
forget the intertoto cup. we'd be better off finishing 5th and not qualifying, because the club don't seem to take it seriously at all.
I don't think we will finish that high anyway.

niamh
24/01/2002, 1:29 PM
We could do, if a team above us wins the Cup. The club might not take it seriously, but having a European tie does bring certain people to the Cross that don't make a regular habit of visiting.

James
24/01/2002, 1:33 PM
and it also gives you a damn good away trip to bout

Lausanne anyone?? :D