PDA

View Full Version : Consider This...

Peadar
18/01/2005, 9:49 AM
Three men walk into a hotel looking for rooms. On arrival, the clerk tells them that there is only one room left, but that they can share it for £30. They accept and pay the clerk £30 - £10 each. When the proprietor of the hotel hears that the room has been taken, he realises that the clerk has made a mistake. The room should only have cost the men £25, so the proprietor gives a butler £5 to take to the men. On the way to the room, the butler realises that £5 would be awkward to split between three men, so decides to keep £2 for himself and just give the men £1 each.

The men initially paid £10 each, but have now been given £1 back, meaning they have only paid £9 each. As we know, 3 x £9 is £27, and adding on the £2 that the butler took makes £29.

So, what happened to the extra £1?

$Leon$
18/01/2005, 10:02 AM
the men paid £25 to the hotel and £2 to the butler as a tip. 25 + 2 = 27
27/3 = 9 men paid 9 each.

Peadar
18/01/2005, 10:15 AM
I suppose I should have said, 'if you figure it out, don't spoil it for others.'

green goblin
18/01/2005, 10:15 AM
A man works on the tollbooth on the River Severn.
He gets bored asking for money, and so instead decides he'll only let people across if they say a statement that is true. If it's true, they can cross, if it's false, they cannot.

1st car comes up, "Grass is green", he says. Over he goes.

2nd car comes up "Birds are reptiles", he says. He is not let over.

The next car comes up, and the driver says "My statement is 'You will not let me cross'".

What does the tollbooth guy do? Does he let him cross or not?

Dublin12
18/01/2005, 10:37 AM
Does he douse him in trouffle essence and feed him to the local pigs,then nicks his car and the loot :confused:

I reckon he lets him across

green goblin
18/01/2005, 10:56 AM
I reckon he lets him across

...Which would then mean the statement was false. Remember, you're only let across if your statement is true.

fosterdollar
18/01/2005, 10:58 AM
He tells him to fook off and stop stirrin'. and he's enough on his plate without fellas acting the gobsh!te with statements like that

wws
18/01/2005, 10:58 AM
he lets him across

cause he said "my statement is....."

and that was his statement so it was truly his statement.....eh