PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio

monutdfc
17/01/2005, 8:41 PM
Anyone know anything about digital radio? Is there any coverage in Ireland yet? Typically does a digital radio receiver also receive FM?
Should I just save my money?

piratemousey
18/01/2005, 12:21 AM
i had one when i lived in england. bloody great things so they are.
no they dont work in ireland. theyre is no digital channels to listen to or signal. you wont be able to pick up brittish stations.
normally they dont come with F.M.
bbc digital channels are great especially 5 lives sports extra and bbc 7

ccfcman
18/01/2005, 8:02 AM
There are already Digital Radio Channels available via Sky Digital, RTÉ is infact digitally encdoded on the station list ie. there is digital radio in Ireland though as yet its limited to Satellite.

Peadar
18/01/2005, 8:37 AM
There are already Digital Radio Channels available via Sky Digital, RTÉ is infact digitally encdoded on the station list ie. there is digital radio in Ireland though as yet its limited to Satellite.

There's a difference between converting the broadcast into digital and actually broadcasting in digital.
It's like the Irish TV channels, they're not actually broadcast in digital.

My advice, don't buy a digital radio if you live in the Republic of Ireland.

Macy
18/01/2005, 10:21 AM
My advice, don't buy a digital radio if you live in the Republic of Ireland.
However, depending on where you are you maybe able to get Digital TV and Radio. Monaghan would be in with as good a chance as anywhere else South of the Border. I reckon you could get Freeview in Longford with the right set up, so maybe Monaghan is possible for both too?

Basically you'd have to take a chance. Try the terrestrial forum on boards.ie (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56)

WeAreRovers
18/01/2005, 10:28 AM
There's a difference between converting the broadcast into digital and actually broadcasting in digital.
It's like the Irish TV channels, they're not actually broadcast in digital.

RTÉ Two is broadcast in digital they just haven't told anyone yet - in typical RTÉ fashion. :rolleyes:

KOH