PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Netherlands 27th May 2016 & Belarus 31st May 2016 Friendlies

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

tetsujin1979
26/05/2016, 10:40 AM
There's a Grealish thread in World Football, please use that for discussion on him

tetsujin1979
26/05/2016, 11:28 AM
From today's press conference McCarthy and Clark not going to play tomorrow, McCarhy should feature against Belarus

Stuttgart88
26/05/2016, 1:32 PM
Emmet Malone tweeting that he thinks Gary Rogers will be in the squad for the Dutch game having excelled in training. MON quoted as saying "brilliantly".

Cue Nigel to argue that he isn't even the best LOI keeper!

KK77
26/05/2016, 1:42 PM
Emmet Malone tweeting that he thinks Gary Rogers will be in the squad for these games having excelled in training.

The manager has said the same.

OwlsFan
26/05/2016, 1:44 PM
Emmet Malone tweeting that he thinks Gary Rogers will be in the squad for these games having excelled in training.

He isn't even the best LOI keeper (thought I'd get in ahead of Nigel, whoever he is).

paul_oshea
26/05/2016, 2:08 PM
ye have to be a proper LOI fan to have any credibility on that one, with a slight resentment or disdain towards the Irish team and squad - regardless of your support or not for the team, in fact if you don't support the national team*, its like a "super" like/respect level only reserved for very esteemed members.

*Similar to our GAA Brothers "I wouldn't cross the road to watch them/that/those". Oh but you find yourself here in Macedonia, all the way from Kosovo :8

paul_oshea
26/05/2016, 2:18 PM
There's no relation between the O'Dowda call-up and Grealish for me. Calling up O'Dowda is a continuation of calling up the best U21 players - Byrne and Browne - to see how they acquit themselves without the pressure of being in the actual squad.

Sorry i hate this multi-quote but wasn't sure how to get a reply to all as pretty much the same response. That would be a good point, but Grealish was the standout for the u21s also, and wasn't called into a big squad of players for the US trip.

I'd agree that O'Neill is being more proactive with regards our future talent, I'd disagree that it has anything to do with Grealish. If anything, that whole episode may have put him off chasing guys who might not be fully committed as it turned out to be a waste of his time. He has fully explained the O'Dowda call up at this stage and I see no reason to suggest ulterior motives*, especially considering he's done the same with 'fully' Irish players in recent squads, as Charlie says.

(*major bonus if he turns out to be the next Gareth Bale and we have him tied)

My understanding is that he was on the verge of accepting a May/June 2015 call up but did a u-turn late on, forcing O'Neill to delay the squad announcement. If that's right it'd make 2014 largely irrelevant.

The point is being missed somewhat, I am not specifically trying to debate about Grealish(tets just being used as an example here), but there seems to be a succession of calling up standout players from our 21s into these expanded squads, an early fat penguin introduction, bedding them in for the future. That wasn't the case in may/june of 2014. Its irrelevant whether or not a year or so that players mind was changed, just as irrelevant if O'Dowda goes back to England next year or the year after. We might disagree on the reasons, but for whatever reason, if it wasn't the Grealish scenario, he has adapted and changed his policy of bringing in future "potentials" from may/june 2014. This "new" policy seems to have come around since Jack grealish finally decided who he wanted to play for.

Stuttgart88
26/05/2016, 2:27 PM
What do statisticians say about sample sizes?

paul_oshea
26/05/2016, 2:45 PM
I don't know but it worked well when you went into the pharmacy to ask for small condoms.

Stuttgart88
26/05/2016, 2:49 PM
"Ah, Mr Stuttgart, did Paul send you in again?"

geysir
26/05/2016, 3:49 PM
The point is being missed somewhat, I am not specifically trying to debate about Grealish(tets just being used as an example here), but there seems to be a succession of calling up standout players from our 21s into these expanded squads, an early fat penguin introduction, bedding them in for the future. That wasn't the case in may/june of 2014. Its irrelevant whether or not a year or so that players mind was changed, just as irrelevant if O'Dowda goes back to England next year or the year after. We might disagree on the reasons, but for whatever reason, if it wasn't the Grealish scenario, he has adapted and changed his policy of bringing in future "potentials" from may/june 2014. This "new" policy seems to have come around since Jack grealish finally decided who he wanted to play for.
It's hard to see what your point is now as it has shifted, but I take it you have now dropped the erroneous opinion that O'Neill only became proactive with chasing Grealish after Grealish became a star in April 2015 and you accept that O'Neill made direct approaches to Grealish before that season had even started?

What O'Neill has changed is to become differently proactive with fattening out his squads to include most everybody but Stephen Ireland and has brought in a few promising younger players to "engage".
It has little to do with a sudden onset of belated proactivity due to him being inactive (until the horse had bolted) re Grealish.

paul_oshea
26/05/2016, 4:26 PM
Nope. Nothing has changed. He called up odowda who is in a similar situation to Grealish in 2014. We are disagreeing on the catalyst, well at least some of us are, I am not really sure what you are on about at all.

Charlie Darwin
26/05/2016, 6:42 PM
Sorry i hate this multi-quote but wasn't sure how to get a reply to all as pretty much the same response. That would be a good point, but Grealish was the standout for the u21s also, and wasn't called into a big squad of players for the US trip.
He did offer Grealish a place in a senior squad (can't remember which) and was turned down. Besides, even if he didn't, it was a couple of years ago and the current (apparent) trend is far more relevant.

seanfhear
26/05/2016, 6:51 PM
Grealish considered escaping.....Then Grealish escaped........ I don't think we can recapture him now........

Ah ! I don't think his heart was in it.

paul_oshea
26/05/2016, 8:34 PM
He did offer Grealish a place in a senior squad (can't remember which) and was turned down. Besides, even if he didn't, it was a couple of years ago and the current (apparent) trend is far more relevant.

He did but the time factor is important, he didn't get called up while playing in the lower league or obscure leagues like o'dowda and/or byrne.

Charlie Darwin
26/05/2016, 8:42 PM
What have the leagues they're playing in got to do with it?

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 2:22 AM
Jack G is not in our squad, discuss it elsewhere.

We named a squad of 35, some of whom are playing Playoffs, some of whom are injured. With two friendles in the next few days, who would you start?

Me? Since you asked:

Randolph (no need for more caps for Given lol)
Christie, Keogh, O'Shea(needs a game), Ward(we need Brady further forwar)
Arter, Hendrick
McGeady(if we bring him, get him matchfit), Hoolahan, Brady
Long

gastric
27/05/2016, 4:02 AM
Jack G is not in our squad, discuss it elsewhere.

We named a squad of 35, some of whom are playing Playoffs, some of whom are injured. With two friendles in the next few days, who would you start?

Me? Since you asked:

Randolph (no need for more caps for Given lol)
Christie, Keogh, O'Shea(needs a game), Ward(we need Brady further forwar)
Arter, Hendrick
McGeady(if we bring him, get him matchfit), Hoolahan, Brady
Long

Nice attacking feel about this team,with a touch of flair too!

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 8:25 AM
With two friendles in the next few days, who would you start?

Good question! It's a tricky one for O'Neill actually. On one hand, it's our last proper game in preparation for the tournament, should we be playing as close to full strength as possible? On the other hand, it's pretty much the last opportunity for guys to impress and to get some guys up to speed a little bit. Maybe a combination of both. Is Coleman unavailable, yeah? Maybe something like this?

Given (give him the opportunity to mess up and/or get injured, sorry, bad form - only partially serious)
Christie (presume Coleman's not available or worth risking)
Keogh (didn't play in either friendly last time/Clark unavailable)
O'Shea (indeed, needs game time)
Brady (might as well continue as we're going to go forward, I think)
Gibson (had Whelan but makes more sense to give Gibson a go)
Arter (deserves his chance)
Walters (get him back motoring for us after absence)
McGeady (game time, spare Hoolahan or give him a run in second half)
Hendrick (could do with another game also)
Murphy (chance to break his duck, Long doesn't need a game, wrap him up in cotton wool)

(Formation - anything from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-2-1 to a 4-4-2 really)

I'd actually like Duffy to make the team from now on, performances depending obviously. He's probably as good, or definitely will be as good, as our other centre backs but he's an animal in the opposition's penalty box. Only Clark, to a much lesser extent, contributes in that sense. I think for a side so reliant on set pieces it could make a big difference.

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 9:38 AM
Does anyone think O'Shea might struggle to play 3 games in a short space of time, and/or perhaps pick up some small injury?

I think players can make a greater impact with as little changes in positional departments Delores. It would also be more likely that if they force the hand, they would be employed in the same position with those same regulars around them. Does that make sense? For example if Arter was going to play in midfield like you suggest then you would want either McCarthy or Whelan beside.

I often think we don't really learn that much when we see many changes and one or two particular player(s) stand out. For example McGoldrick.

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 9:46 AM
I think players can make a greater impact in as little changes in positional departments Delores.

Despite the broken English, I think I know what you're saying. :)

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 9:48 AM
For example if Arter was going to play in midfield like you suggest then you would want either McCarthy or Whelan beside.

Where else would he play, further forward?

Stuttgart88
27/05/2016, 9:49 AM
I agree, I think. It's best to try out a new player with the core of regular players, those he'd be most likely to play with when it counts..

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 10:09 AM
Ideally, yes. The problems are that Arter isn't the only one auditioning, and we've injuries and fellas in need of game time.

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 10:16 AM
Does anyone think Keane will come on with 10 mins or maybe even 20 mins to go tonight?

backstothewall
27/05/2016, 1:03 PM
I'd not be taking many chances tonight

----------- Given ---------
Christie Duffy Clark Ward
---------- Whelan ---------
----- Arter - Hendrick ----
--------- McClean ---------
---- Murphy - Keane -----

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 1:34 PM
Get McClean out of that 10 role or top of the diamond, he is not that type of player regardless of a half decent showing the last day in there.

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 1:36 PM
I think Clark has more or less been ruled out also and it's been confirmed that O'Shea will start.

TrapAPony
27/05/2016, 2:26 PM
I'd not be taking many chances tonight

----------- Given ---------
Christie Duffy Clark Ward
---------- Whelan ---------
----- Arter - Hendrick ----
--------- McClean ---------
---- Murphy - Keane -----

I'd be of the opinion of playing most of our best team tonight and not take any chances against Belarus.

----------- Randolph ---------

Coleman Keogh O'Shea Ward

-------Whelan----- Arter--------

Walters --------------------Brady

--------------Hoolahan

----------------------- Long

nigel-harps1954
27/05/2016, 2:45 PM
I'd start Rogers.

Fixer82
27/05/2016, 2:54 PM
I'd start Rogers.

Roger that!

tetsujin1979
27/05/2016, 3:05 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/49578345.jpg

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 5:25 PM
Randolph,
Coleman, O'Shea, Duffy, Brady,
Arter, Whelan, Quinn,
Walters, McGoldrick, Long

http://i.imgur.com/6p7Wexh.jpg

Given (GK), Rogers (GK),
Christie, Keogh, Ward,
McGeady, Hoolahan, Hendrick, Gibson, O'Kane, McClean, O'Dowda,
Keane, Murphy.

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 5:37 PM
What channel lads?its not on sky sports.can I watch rte player on Ireland on my phone?

Ryanair overselling flights the bastids.

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 5:39 PM
What channel lads?its not on sky sports.can I watch rte player on Ireland on my phone?

Ryanair overselling flights the bastids.

Not on Rte. Setanta/Premier sports. Have you an android? Try mobdro app

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 5:53 PM
Cheers joe.ill download it.the battery dying now too and the portable charger lent to someone.

Stutts better be giving proper insight tonight.

SkStu
27/05/2016, 6:00 PM
I smell goals.

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 6:03 PM
Cheers joe.ill download it.the battery dying now too and the portable charger lent to someone.

Stutts better be giving proper insight tonight.
No need to watch it anyway.

DeLorean
27/05/2016, 6:05 PM
Another great chance for Duffy, he must be sniffing a starting place now as opposed to being happy to make the plane.

SkStu
27/05/2016, 6:27 PM
stuck at work today so if anyone could throw up a firewall friendly link at some stage, that would be muchly appreciated.

DannyInvincible
27/05/2016, 6:28 PM
Just reading this piece and was thinking; is there anything to be taken from O'Neill's comments on Shay?: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/martin-oneill-reassures-james-mccarthy-over-euro-2016-place-737236.html

O'Neill said: "Shay, when he looks back on his career, I'm sure he will be absolutely delighted with it. He's a very fine player.

"But like everything else, time doesn't stand still for people. You do get older in this life, as I've found out. I would imagine this would be his final time, but he's been excellent around about the place, for a start.

"I'm not saying that is everything - in fact, it's not, you still have to have ability. I could get my daughters to be very good around about the place, but they might not make it."

Is the highlighted bit a give-away? If O'Neill is already thinking these Euros will be Shay's "final time", he must have it in his head that he'll be in the final squad?

The third spot would be a toss-up between Forde and Westwood then?

Or Rogers, if Nigel has his way! :)

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 6:29 PM
Work?you surprise me all the time skstu.

I have a sellotanta subscription too but it doesn't appear ljke I can watch it online

paul_oshea
27/05/2016, 6:30 PM
I read that too DI and thought the same.then thought I was over reading into things.oneill is extremely measured in his responses he wouldn't give away anything unintentionally

SkStu
27/05/2016, 6:35 PM
Work?you surprise me all the time skstu.

these chips wont serve themselves Paul.

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 6:43 PM
stuck at work today so if anyone could throw up a firewall friendly link at some stage, that would be muchly appreciated.
http://mamahd.com/setanta-live-stream-1.html is usually pretty pretty pretty good.

SkStu
27/05/2016, 6:46 PM
http://mamahd.com/setanta-live-stream-1.html is usually pretty pretty pretty good.

you sure?
http://i.imgur.com/Idtko.jpg

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/05/2016, 6:49 PM
There's no relation between the O'Dowda call-up and Grealish for me. Calling up O'Dowda is a continuation of calling up the best U21 players - Byrne and Browne - to see how they acquit themselves without the pressure of being in the actual squad.

Byrne and Browne didn't make the bench for the Switzerland and Slovakia games.

O'Dowda is on the bench tonight.

So it looks a bit indulgent to me.

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/05/2016, 6:52 PM
That pass by McGoldrick what people are referring to when they say how composed he is on ball? :P

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 6:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ByFNE8T.png

Coleman, Arter and McGoldrick has started well. Brady is dodgy so far. (nailed on first goalscorer now)

Closed Account
27/05/2016, 6:58 PM
Byrne and Browne didn't make the bench for the Switzerland and Slovakia games.

O'Dowda is on the bench tonight.

So it looks a bit indulgent to me.He must have impressed, fair play to him.