Cork City v Shamrock Rovers

First Division

Friday
Athlone Town v Cabinteely
Waterford United v Drogheda Utd
UCD v Limerick FC

Saturday
Cobh Ramblers v Shelbourne

Matchday 9 for the Premier Division teams along with the postponed Cork/Rovers fixture on Monday. The 2nd series of matches commences in the First Division.

redarmyfaction
22/04/2016, 7:11 PM
Looks like a long evening for Harps in Cork.

patrickccfc
22/04/2016, 7:44 PM
Looks like a long evening for Harps in Cork.

The tempo has dropped down a lot since the 2 goals so can't see it being a hammering. We are very comfortable though. Harps haven't been helped by having to make 2 subs in the first half

redarmyfaction
22/04/2016, 7:48 PM
I am obliged to watch Alvin and the Chimpmonks here, did McCabe deserve to walk? Seems to be too many straight reds in fairly bloodless games in the league.

kksaints
22/04/2016, 7:54 PM
I am obliged to watch Alvin and the Chimpmonks here, did McCabe deserve to walk? Seems to be too many straight reds in fairly bloodless games in the league.

I thought so. He went in over the ball on O'Donnell.

TonyD
22/04/2016, 7:54 PM

I think so. Seemed to deliberately go over the ball. Nasty tackle. Game looks to be over now. Nice second from Dundalk.

Dodge
22/04/2016, 7:59 PM
Sending off here. Definite red

https://twitter.com/rtesport/status/723594190928498689

L.T.F.C.
22/04/2016, 8:14 PM
Finn is class!

NeverFeltBetter
22/04/2016, 8:22 PM
Plenty of drama at the Bowl anyway, Limerick lead 2-1, both teams have seen men sent off, both straight reds for "last man back" offences. Limerick missed a penalty over UCD's.

mcgonigle
22/04/2016, 8:43 PM
Pat Fenlon makes beating Rovers so much sweeter. 😭😭😭

thomas72
22/04/2016, 8:44 PM
FT UCD 1 Limerick 2
Shane duggan with both of the goals and a new division one record set overtaken derry city's 7 straight wins.

GCdfc
22/04/2016, 8:48 PM

Finn being taken down at the end should have been a second red.

I can't figure out Fenlon. He must be a very bitter individual. It was going to be next to impossible to beat Dundalk when down to 10 men after 30 minutes. Also, raising the issue of the banner that CX-Sports produced at the jersey launch 5 months later is crazy. Then his temper tantrum at the end was hilarious. What a child!

redarmyfaction
22/04/2016, 8:49 PM
Thanks, he seemed to follow through alright, always had a bad streak in him.

WoodquayBoy
22/04/2016, 8:55 PM
Fenlon obviously upset with something, but he strikes me as an odious little runt of a man. Brennan should have seen red for foul on Finn - or for his behaviour afterwards. I had tipped Shams for title at start of season - God I feel stupid now

jinxy lilywhite
22/04/2016, 9:12 PM
Easy easy easy

gufc4life
22/04/2016, 9:22 PM
Wexford Youths 0-2 Galway United another good win on the road for us . Back up to 3rd be interesting to see how we get on against Dundalk in 2 weeks time also live on Setenta.

geysir
22/04/2016, 9:44 PM
I think so. Seemed to deliberately go over the ball. Nasty tackle. Game looks to be over now. Nice second from Dundalk.
It could have just been a reckless badly timed tackle, a definite red card.

TonyD
22/04/2016, 10:00 PM
It could have just been a reckless badly timed tackle, a definite red card.

Yeah you're right, It did look nasty but I suppose it could have been just reckless and badly timed. Impossible to know what was in his mind.

Aside from that - what on earth was that about with Fenlon having a go at Kenny at the end ? He just managed to make himself look petty and a sore loser.

nigel-harps1954
22/04/2016, 10:27 PM
Cork didn't really have to be at their best to beat a poor enough Harps team tonight, but they'll struggle to challenge for any honours this season.

Might have been an off night despite being gifted three goals, but I thought they were fairly poor.

Pretty crap night for Harps all round though, three injuries to add to the misery. Mounting injury list doesn't look too good.

Ezeikial
22/04/2016, 10:30 PM
Aside from that - what on earth was that about with Fenlon having a go at Kenny at the end ? He just managed to make himself look petty and a sore loser.

Maybe that is because he is petty and a sore loser

Fenlon managing a team with 2 Brennans and Gary McCabe is a recipe for recklessness and ill-discipline. The Shams team are a reflection of their manager

White Horse
22/04/2016, 10:44 PM
The decline in Rovers from last season is noticeable. I thought they were getting close to Dundalk and the games last season were very even.

Tonight, we bossed every inch of the pitch. The fitness level of Rovers was very poor.

It is embarrassing as a LOI fan seeing Danny North, a full time professional, coming on the pitch trying to stop his belly spilling out of this kit. God knows what it must be like being a Rovers fan seeing that.

Rovers resemble an amateur side who meet up in the Phoenix Park on a Sunday morning for a kick about.

venkman
22/04/2016, 11:13 PM
You'd think Fenlon would be a little more graceful - he has had plenty of practice in losing to Kenny.

patrickccfc
22/04/2016, 11:26 PM
Cork didn't really have to be at their best to beat a poor enough Harps team tonight, but they'll struggle to challenge for any honours this season.

Might have been an off night despite being gifted three goals, but I thought they were fairly poor.

Pretty crap night for Harps all round though, three injuries to add to the misery. Mounting injury list doesn't look too good.

Yeah wasn't the most riveting display from us. Harps didn't create much but I thought we labored through the 90minutes and if the opposition were better we might not of won tonight. The 2 goals killed any game plan harps had and the two enforced substitutes didn't do them any favors.

We need to do better than that tonight if we have any aspirations of challenging for trophys. A win Monday is crucial now. Disappointing that Browne will be unavailable for that game, didn't see what he actually did but some saying he motioned a headbutt which isn't acceptable.

White Horse
22/04/2016, 11:34 PM
A win Monday is crucial now. Disappointing that Browne will be unavailable for that game, didn't see what he actually did but some saying he motioned a headbutt which isn't acceptable.

The three points on Monday are in the bag. Rovers are awful.

Charlie Darwin
22/04/2016, 11:35 PM
Maybe that is because he is petty and a sore loser

Fenlon managing a team with 2 Brennans and Gary McCabe is a recipe for recklessness and ill-discipline. The Shams team are a reflection of their manager
Would agree with you on Killian and McCabe but Gavin is fairly even-tempered. Too relaxed sometimes. McCabe's tackle was just disgraceful.

Poor performance from Rovers but replicating a lot of the criticisms we've all had of them this season. Lots of slow build-up play that gives the likes of Miele and McCabe next to no time or space to actually make things happen. Killian Brennan's been pretty good this season but he was at his worst tonight, strolling around and having no impact on the game.

Dundalk deserved the win but the annoying thing is that we didn't make them have to play well to get it. Doubt you will have many wins as easy as that one tonight.

pineapple stu
23/04/2016, 12:02 AM
Great game in the Bowl tonight. We were much improved on recent weeks; we tend to up our game against better teams, and had to against Limerick.

Three-minute delay while Conor O'Donnell, our sub keeper, got ready to come on for the peno. Limerick fans giving him dogs' abuse the whole time ("You're the reason why we're here" and the likes). Saved the peno and made a couple of superb saves later on too.

Have to be annoyed at not getting a draw though; two awful misses late in the first half in particular.

Nesta99
23/04/2016, 1:57 AM
Poor performance from Rovers but replicating a lot of the criticisms we've all had of them this season.

Abandoning ship CD? ;p

Nesta99
23/04/2016, 2:08 AM

Dont think ive seen a ref that quick to have the red card out; No question that it was a red, Doyle had the card out before players had picked themselves up off the ground. He was certainly in no doubt at all and a very quick decision, in a good way for refereeing, bottled a 2nd red at the end?

Charlie Darwin
23/04/2016, 2:23 AM
Abandoning ship CD? ;p
I wasn't able to make my usual "appearance" on the pitch this week so "them" is the correct terminology :p

Nesta99
23/04/2016, 4:23 AM
Well Dundalk FC is a community club so it is all 'us'... shall I pass bucket lol. What the hell was Fenlon doing after the match and needing one of his players to diffuse things? On OW I criticised Caulfield jumping around ala Fenlon at the Cork game in Oriel. I take it back as Fenlon tops the moaning heap!

Charlie Darwin
23/04/2016, 5:44 AM
Well Dundalk FC is a community club so it is all 'us'... shall I pass bucket lol. What the hell was Fenlon doing after the match and needing one of his players to diffuse things? On OW I criticised Caulfield jumping around ala Fenlon at the Cork game in Oriel. I take it back as Fenlon tops the moaning heap!
Jesus, you're almost as bad as Liverpool fans at this point...

I assume Fenlon was upset about Finn and the Dundalk bench trying to get Brennan sent off in injury time. I haven't watched the RTE coverage yet but at the time I thought he'd have been sent off had McCabe not already gone but I reserve the right to change my opinion when I see the footage. Webster stepped in to stop Kenny having a bite back from what I saw.

Certainly there's no love lost between the teams, which I think is great. It was a very poor game from an entertainment point of view so good to see both sides still hate each other.

legendz
23/04/2016, 7:11 AM
Dundalk seem to be the team to beat again this season.

Are Derry and Galway good enough to put up a challenge for a title? Are they getting much support at their home games?

Are Pat's, Cork and Shamrock Rovers likely to put up a title challenge?

The bottom 4 seem to be cut adrift from the rest. Is it likely to remain like that for the season?

placid casual
23/04/2016, 7:55 AM
An easy victory for Dundalk against Rovers. They played at half pace and won with ease
Rovers have a long way to go to challenge for the league title again.

Dundalk will need to find a striker to do anything in Europe as they are not going to face they type of poor quality on show in the league this season.

Of al the players at Dundalk, the one I'd take would be Shields- he runs the team.
And I'd take Donnell back.
And Gannon.
And Finn..
You get the picture

The Donie Forde
23/04/2016, 7:59 AM
FT UCD 1 Limerick 2
Shane duggan with both of the goals and a new division one record set overtaken derry city's 7 straight wins.

Well done to Limerick.
Cork City finished out with seven straight wins in 2011. Would have been nine, except for a 3-3 draw with....Limerick.

brendy_éire
23/04/2016, 8:07 AM
Are Derry and Galway good enough to put up a challenge for a title? Are they getting much support at their home games?

Derry, on their day, are good enough to beat anyone, but with a small squad it would be unrealistic to think we'll challenge.

Hard fought win for us last night. Started very brightly, got a wee bit lucky with the goal, but stopped playing after that. The second half was poor to watch, loads of mistakes from both sides (and the officials).
That was our third game in six days, and it showed. We looked a tired side, and probably would have lost if we were playing a better quality side.
Thought Bohs were pretty poor. The players looked like they didn't want to be there, and were arguing a wee bit amongst themselves after the final whistle. We were convinced that Bohs were time wasting in the first half too, after we'd scored. Strange.

Five wins out of five at the Brandywell now, and no defeat since the first day of the season. We've been crying out for years to get the Brandywell back to being the 'difficult place to go' it used to be, might be getting there.

White Horse
23/04/2016, 9:09 AM
Did Shamrock Rovers have a shot on target last night?

Ezeikial
23/04/2016, 10:09 AM
Would agree with you on Killian and McCabe but Gavin is fairly even-tempered. Too relaxed sometimes.

If Gavin Brennan has become even-tempered it is the biggest turnaorund since St Paul on the road to Damascus

In his last season with Drogheda he was suspended for close on 10 games over the season

Ezeikial
23/04/2016, 10:13 AM
An easy victory for Dundalk against Rovers. They played at half pace and won with ease

Of al the players at Dundalk, the one I'd take would be Shields- he runs the team.
And I'd take Donnell back.
And Gannon.
And Finn..
You get the picture

and Kenny?

Dodge
23/04/2016, 10:26 AM
If Gavin Brennan has become even-tempered it is the biggest turnaorund since St Paul on the road to Damascus

In his last season with Drogheda he was suspended for close on 10 games over the season
It was 14 games, and 2 at the start of the following season too

patrickccfc
23/04/2016, 10:29 AM
FT UCD 1 Limerick 2

Limerick have double the points of their closest rivals after only 8 games, looking ominous

oriel
23/04/2016, 3:31 PM
Thought it was an excellent second half display by Dundalk, the sending off helped but getting the second goal straight into the second half was ruthless. The tactics by Fenlon in the first half was crazy, sending high balls into the likes of Gartland and Boyle.

Horgan and Finn were superb, O'Donnell was good in the first half and shields put in a very good shift. Overall a very comfortable win and I'd say Finn is odds on now to get player of the month for April.

Dundalk need a decent striker in, I'd agree on a post earlier that one is needed to make an impact in Europe. Not sure how they can get over the next few months though, and if an out of contract player can join, or will they have to wait until July 1st.

Rovers will be very disappointed with their display, based on last night a spot in Europe will be a tough ask.

Ps Patrick, on Kenny Browne, madness getting a red in what looked to have been a straight forward home win.

Nesta99
23/04/2016, 7:09 PM
Good game for Benson to get game, time too though pity it was at the expense of another injury to O'Donnell. Hopefully scans wont show too much damage to his ankle.

El-Pietro
23/04/2016, 8:51 PM
Have Limerick kept a clean sheet yet this season?

They are scoring tonnes, but seem to concede one every week. Wonder if anyone offers odds on a team to win by more than one and both teams to score in a double.

A Dundalk fan above asked questions about the make up of the league. Dundalk are rolling right now, but I'm not convinced the table is going to finish looking like it does right now. I maintain that we won't have any runaway leaders.

Derry are brilliant, but lack depth and will struggle as the season goes on. I'm not sure whats going on with us at all. We created a tonne of chances again on Friday but didn't look great. The next few weeks will be tough. We have an insane fixture list right now. Two games into a 5 home game in 15 day streak, and I think we play 8 games in just 26 days. If we can pick up 6 points this week then I think we might kick on but we haven't really looked great for a while now (I wasn't in Dundalk).
I'm also not sure what to make of Galway. Delighted to see them doing so well, but I can't see them holiding on (we surprised everyone in 2014 though, Dundalk in 2013... so it is possible).

I haven't seen Rovers yet but their results are mad. They batter Bohs either side of a tonking from Derry and what sounded like a convincing defeat from Dundalk? Monday should be interesting, both of us missing a player (Browne is an idiot by the way, no need for that sending off, he had to know it was going to be a straight red. I wonder what he was reacting to, didn't see anything).

I don't really rate Pats this year but they may improve as the year goes on. As I speak though they are losing to Bray.

All of this is to say that Dundalk might win the title, but without any brilliance from themselves, but through inconsistency from the remainder of the challengers.

At the other end of the table Longford were one of the worst teams I've seen in years and Wexford impressed me massively yet they both have 5 points. Sligo were also very good against us, and have apparently looked good in recent weeks. I haven't seen Bray but they look like a basket case.

I think the final table will look something like this (alphabetical by group)

1: Dundalk
2: Cork City
3: Derry City
4: St. Pats
5. Shamrock Rovers
6: Galway
7: Bohs
8: Sligo
9: Harps
10: Wexford
11: Bray
12: Longford

I expect to be massively wrong

osarusan
23/04/2016, 8:55 PM
Clean sheets against Athlone, Drogheda and Cabinteely.

Not for the lack of trying to give away goals though.

El-Pietro
23/04/2016, 8:57 PM
Clean sheets against Athlone, Drogheda and Cabinteely.

Not for the lack of trying to give away goals though.

Similar defending to last seasons late run? That game against Sligo was always going to end badly, and could have been much worse.

osarusan
23/04/2016, 10:11 PM
Similar defending to last seasons late run? That game against Sligo was always going to end badly, and could have been much worse.

We continue to have spells where we are totally inept defensively. Maybe a 15-20 minute spell at some stage in nearly every game. Last season Premier teams were punishing us, but First division teams aren't. UCD had 2 or 3 good chances last night before the goal they got. Athlone missed a series of sitters. Waterford did punish us, but we were already 4 up.

Ezeikial
23/04/2016, 10:28 PM
Dundalk are rolling right now, but I'm not convinced the table is going to finish looking like it does right now. I maintain that we won't have any runaway leaders.

All of this is to say that Dundalk might win the title, but without any brilliance from themselves, but through inconsistency from the remainder of the challengers.

We are over a quarter of the way through the season and the league leaders have 22 points from 9 games (or 2.44 points per match). That's on target for 80 points.

The league race could take many twists and turns along the way. but the early season results don't tally with your crystal ball gazing predictions

oriel
24/04/2016, 10:42 AM
Some good points by El P. I was only saying to a mate after last Friday that whoever wins this years league might get there by a small margin. Dundalk are well placed at the minute but we need to improve our home form and get a new striker in when it's available to do so.

I also thought at start of the season and not just saying this as we have already been knocked out of 3 cups, that we would win one single trophy, the league title. I could be wrong, but as I said above, we are well placed, but it's not even the end of series one so early days. We will have very tough games coming up and especially in series 2, Cork and Derry away included.

redarmyfaction
24/04/2016, 12:51 PM
El P certainly has Longford in the right place, they were ghastly last night, but far play to then they never let on they knew it.

Charlie Darwin
24/04/2016, 3:34 PM

I know, very disappointing. I was hoping his move to full back might inspire him to take a leave out of Pat Sullivan's book.