PDA

View Full Version : Exeter City

holidaysong
14/01/2005, 3:27 PM
Exeter City vs. Man Utd - FA Cup Replay being shown by BBC next Wednesday.

Nice to see a club like Exeter making a few quid like this from their draw at Old Trafford and now the replay.. I love seeing Lineker, Hanson and the lads roll into these places for FA cup matches. Plus fair play to Exeter they are not going to raise ticket prices above those for Conference matches..

BaZmO*
20/01/2005, 1:00 PM
Were Exeter playing in their away strip last night? And if so why?
The reason why I thought they were was because all their supporters seemed to be wearing Red and White striped jerseys, while the team was playing in black.

If they were wearing the away kit I thought to myself that it might be due to swapping jerseys at the end of the match and most of the Exeter players would've preferred to have a Utd. home jersey as a souvenier? Or maybe I'm just supposing too much :confused:

B.

wws
20/01/2005, 1:20 PM
did they get drawn at home first and ask united to stage it in OT to maximise revenue???

in which case that would explain the jersies

they were great on the night by the way - all bar Sean Devine who was woeful - not only did he spurn a glorious chance to equalise but he seemed to wobble the ball to touch on more than one occassion - clliched conference hoof machine

pineapple stu
20/01/2005, 1:37 PM
did they get drawn at home first and ask united to stage it in OT to maximise revenue???
Can't do that any more - Yeading tried it, but were refused permission. Too many clubs abusing the system. If you're drawn at home, you're drawn at home, and that's tough...

Is it the FAI Cup where, if there's a clash of colours, the home team have to wear the away kit according to the rules?

they were great on the night by the way - all bar Sean Devine who was woeful - not only did he spurn a glorious chance to equalise but he seemed to wobble the ball to touch on more than one occassion - clliched conference hoof machine
Remember when he was Ireland's next big prospect, knocking in 30+ goals in Division Three for Barnet and Wycombe? :eek:

Macy
20/01/2005, 1:43 PM
Is it the FAI Cup where, if there's a clash of colours, the home team have to wear the away kit according to the rules?

No, it was the tradition in European games, but even then I'm not sure it still applies. Don't think it was ever a "rule" as such. Rugby still does I think, well at international level anyway.

BaZmO*
20/01/2005, 1:44 PM

That doesn't make sense. Surely the whole point of the away kit is to wear it when you are playing away from home and your home strip clashes with the home team's strip?!? No?

B.

razor
20/01/2005, 1:54 PM
Anyone hear the bloke from Waherfur last night on The Last Word, Irelands biggest Exeter fan, has written a book about them as well.
Might be an interesting read.

Aldini98
20/01/2005, 3:04 PM
Wish Motson would retire, he keeps laughing at what he says and he isn't funny. Also the harping on about the magic or romance of the cup is complete cack - its a dead competition which the bigger clubs are not interested due to the lack of money that goes with it.

Junior
20/01/2005, 4:17 PM
nice little article in last sundays indo on Exeters Ampadu. Mixed race lad born in Bradford brought up in Dublin. Played in the arsenal youth team with Andy Cole when they netted 57 in a season between them (Ampadu scored half of them)

Funny how both players never made it at Arsenal, however Cole went on to various honours at United and gained full england honours.

Ampadu, however played at various lower league sides and never quite made the step up. He was fairly grateful and happy enough with how things have turned out for him football-wise

As an Irish man it could have been a good alternative Quinner et al if things had worked out differently for him!

Sheridan
20/01/2005, 4:41 PM
nice little article in last sundays indo on Exeters Ampadu. Mixed race lad born in Bradford brought up in Dublin. Played in the arsenal youth team with Andy Cole when they netted 57 in a season between them (Ampadu scored half of them)
Hmm. I'm assuming one of his goals was halved in value because the ball burst before crossing the line?

Junior
20/01/2005, 8:43 PM
Hmm. I'm assuming one of his goals was halved in value because the ball burst before crossing the line?

thats correct.

razor
21/01/2005, 7:49 AM
First of Nigerian blood to be capped by TBIG?Dont tell some :rolleyes: on here! ;)
Ghanaian father.
Very good article in last Sundays Indo
here (http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1321276&issue_id=11959)

Macy
21/01/2005, 8:03 AM
Also the harping on about the magic or romance of the cup is complete cack - its a dead competition which the bigger clubs are not interested due to the lack of money that goes with it.
That's rubbish, it's still number 3 behind Europe and the Championship. Admittedly, it may seem that way to people that weren't brought up with Cup Final Grandstand, and the whole day build up etc when it was the biggest day of the season. Certainly if you ask any of the fans of clubs that have won it over the last few years it is still a big competition.

Junior
21/01/2005, 8:48 AM
That's rubbish, it's still number 3 behind Europe and the Championship. Admittedly, it may seem that way to people that weren't brought up with Cup Final Grandstand, and the whole day build up etc when it was the biggest day of the season. Certainly if you ask any of the fans of clubs that have won it over the last few years it is still a big competition.

obv its still a big competition for the english teams due to the history of it and the fact it brings with it a european place.

However, the constant references to 'romance' 'its what the cup is all about' ''who says the romance of the cup is dead?' well no-one actually, you fcuking pundits keep telling us that each fa cup draw is the most romantic thing since romeo & juliet. I find it all pretty nauseating really!!

holidaysong
21/01/2005, 3:31 PM
Were Exeter playing in their away strip last night? And if so why?
The reason why I thought they were was because all their supporters seemed to be wearing Red and White striped jerseys, while the team was playing in black.

If they were wearing the away kit I thought to myself that it might be due to swapping jerseys at the end of the match and most of the Exeter players would've preferred to have a Utd. home jersey as a souvenier? Or maybe I'm just supposing too much :confused:

B.

The Exeter home kit is red and white stripes and yeah they did wear their away kit so that they could get the United Red jerseys as souvenirs. It was their choice to make as the home team what jersey they wanted to wear.