PDA

View Full Version : John Gotti

joeSoap
14/01/2005, 2:27 PM
I was recently in New York, and having been a keen student and researcher of the New York Mafia, I managed to take a stroll down Little Italy, to Mulberry Street and over to Ozone Park. All areas where John Gotti hung out. Love him or Loathe him, Gotti changed the face of organised crime in America during the late 70's and throughout the 80's and was indeed a truly fascinating character. I got to see his mausoleum...not just a headstone mind, in St Johns Cemetery, and the amount of fresh flowers laid on that thing every day is unreal. It also has 24 hour security seeing as he 'upset' one or two people along the way.

Anyone else interested in this sort of thing, or is it just me..??

Sheridan
14/01/2005, 2:43 PM
You're obsessed with the mafia, and Bluebeard wants to know where he can find a cut-throat razor. Are you guys planning a heist or something?

PS: Remember the advice in Reservoir Dogs; if the manager gives you hassle, cut his little finger off, then tell him his thumb's next :p

Roo69
14/01/2005, 2:46 PM
I was recently in New York, and having been a keen student and researcher of the New York Mafia, I managed to take a stroll down Little Italy, to Mulberry Street and over to Ozone Park. All areas where John Gotti hung out. Love him or Loathe him, Gotti changed the face of organised crime in America during the late 70's and throughout the 80's and was indeed a truly fascinating character. I got to see his mausoleum...not just a headstone mind, in St Johns Cemetery, and the amount of fresh flowers laid on that thing every day is unreal. It also has 24 hour security seeing as he 'upset' one or two people along the way.

Anyone else interested in this sort of thing, or is it just me..??

Yeah defo intereested in this sort of stuff ! Gotti was a bit of a boyo alright ! Did the same walk a few years back when i was in NY. Have you seen "Gotti" yet ? With Armand Asantti playing him ? really good film.

pete
14/01/2005, 3:58 PM
Slightly off topic but I walked through Little Italy lasy year too & thought too corny. Restaurants over priced & touting passers by with "...Sopranos come here..." doesn't get them any votes from me.

Its easy to glamourise the mafia cos they foreign but when movies have glamorised irsh criminals irish people don't see the funny side.

dcfcsteve
14/01/2005, 6:44 PM
Slightly off topic but I walked through Little Italy lasy year too & thought too corny. Restaurants over priced & touting passers by with "...Sopranos come here..." doesn't get them any votes from me.

Its easy to glamourise the mafia cos they foreign but when movies have glamorised irsh criminals irish people don't see the funny side.

Was gonna say that we have our own mafia over here who do as good a job without the glamour (thankfully).

Didn't see any Nuuu Yoik Aye-talians pulling off a £20+ cash job.....! :eek:

NJTom
15/01/2005, 1:54 AM
The mob are a cancer on society.

Plastic Paddy
15/01/2005, 7:41 AM
The mob are a cancer on society.

Only because they prevent the legal crooks from controlling it all... ;) and, let's face it, they have a better image internationally than your federal government. Not hard, I know, but there you go.

:D PP