PDA

View Full Version : Diego Armando Maradona

Closed Account 2
14/01/2005, 11:05 AM
Easily the greatest footballer of the modern era, and for my money the best footballer ever appears to be to in a very bad way physically.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=654128

Sad to see him this way.

Gary
14/01/2005, 11:33 AM
There was a show on Sky Sports about him over the xmas. It wa svery good, but it was sad to see the pale shadow that he is today.

Unlike many, he wanted to avoid the media spotlight, but ever since he was 16, his entire life was like the Truman Show. He took bad advise, and made bad decisions. Pity, as had his career not been littered with drug scandals, we would have seen alot more of his genius.

Bluebeard
14/01/2005, 11:59 AM
True that, he did have more foidted on him than he wanted. Sure I recall hearing that the only way that the Argentinian manager knew that the only way that he wasn't going to be killed after leaving him (17 or something at the time) out of the 1978 World Cup squad was to win the whole damn thing out - there is pressure for you.

wws
14/01/2005, 1:20 PM
True that, he did have more foidted on him than he wanted. Sure I recall hearing that the only way that the Argentinian manager knew that the only way that he wasn't going to be killed after leaving him (17 or something at the time) out of the 1978 World Cup squad was to win the whole damn thing out - there is pressure for you.

eh I think the Military Generals at the time were a far more pressing reason for the manager and team to win the thing outright :D

Metrostars
14/01/2005, 3:56 PM
eh I think the Military Generals at the time were a far more pressing reason for the manager and team to win the thing outright :D

I was lucky enough to see him play twice in the 1994 WC Finals. Pity he was on drugs at the time though. :(

wws
17/01/2005, 9:14 AM
why is it a pity?

top class football has been riddled with drugs for decades - to single out maradona seems OTT when nearly all the top teams appear to have been involved in doping in some form or other, Juventus, Argentina 78 SIDE ETC ETC