PDA

View Full Version : Divison 1 south & division 1 north

pete
22/01/2002, 2:43 PM
With the new 10 team Premier division maybe the rest needs a reshuffle too? I've heard the suggestion abput splitting the 1st division into a south & north league & probably adding a few new regional teams.

South: Cobh, Waterford, Limerick, Kilkenny, Dublin City, Galway, 2 new teams...
North: Monaghan, Athlone, Sligo, Dundalk, Finn Harps 3 new teams...

Playoff for promotion

- less travel.
- senior football where none before.

Would 1st division teams be up for it? Is there any disadvantage?

James
22/01/2002, 2:55 PM
Good idea, would prob work or worth looking into,,but of course

It aint never gona happen

Éanna
22/01/2002, 5:59 PM
i think it's a great idea. we could expand the 1st division into 2 10-team regional divisions, which would hopefully increase interest in the league. unfortunatley, as james says, uptake of good ideas in merrion square is not very high.

pete
23/01/2002, 10:18 AM
I think it was first proposed By Joe Colwell in the Rovers programme. Something like this would have to be lead by the clubs & not the FAI.....

SÓC
30/01/2002, 3:14 PM
There would be no Dublin team in the North section of the league, who would they all mock?

Also how would things like relegation work. You could have say the Mons regegated and Waterford winning the play off, which would mean that either Mons go to the South league, or you kick the southern most north team into the south league....if you get my drif....

I'd say it would have a possibility of working alot better in a 32 County Football Assocation

pete
30/01/2002, 4:36 PM
I didn't see the article myself but was described to me something like this.

1. List all clubs in the eL on north to south basis.
2. Consult list to decide the geographical location of teams after promotion/relegation

In your example given Waterford would be promoted so whatever 1st division club that was ahead of the most northernly division 1 south team would move to the south.

Would probably result in a bit of yoyoing for midlands clubs but at least they'd get new opponents every few years. Obviously Cobh would always be in the south.

Schumi
31/01/2002, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by pete
Obviously Cobh would always be in the south.

Unless they got promoted...oh right yeah, never mind.