PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT but related to Irish Premier League: Cross-border leagues around UEFA

shizzle787
10/04/2016, 9:25 PM
There are rumors that clubs from Scandinavian countries, Scotland, Poland, and others might leave the Champions League and their own domestic leagues if UEFA goes ahead with the 16-team two eight-club group stages.

Here is my proposal: first off, the Champions League would be expanded to 64 clubs. Secondly, it's time to create cross-border leagues. There are 53 leagues in Europe (54 countries).

However, every club would have to play in the domestic cup (54 of these) of their own country (Swansea City would play in Welsh Cup, i.e.).

Here would be the 32 leagues:
1) Spain with Andorran clubs in lower divisions
2) Germany with German Belgian, German Swiss , and Liechtenstein clubs in lower divisions
3) England with Welsh clubs in lower divisions (The New Saints would start in League Two)
4) Italy with San Marino and Italian Swiss clubs in lower divisions
5) Portugal
6) France with French Belgian French Swiss clubs in lower divisions; Anderlecht, Standard Liege, and Basel would play in Ligue 1
7) Russia
8) Ukraine
9) Netherlands with Dutch Belgian clubs in lower divisions
10) Turkey
11) Czech Republic + Slovakia (Czech and Slovak League)
12) Greece + Cyprus (Greater Greek Super League)
13) Romania + Moldova (Greater Romanian Super League)
14) Austria
15) Croatia + Serbia + Slovenia + Bosnia + Macedonia + Montenegro (Adriatic League)
16) Poland
17) Belarus
18) Sweden + Norway + Denmark + Finland (Royal League)
19) Israel
20) Scotland
21) Kazakhstan
22) Bulgaria
23) Hungary
24) Iceland
25) Georgia with Armenia's 7 clubs (two of which would play in top division)
26) Albania
27) Ireland + N. Ireland (Greater Ireland League)
28) Latvia + Estonia + Lithuania (Baltic League)
29) Luxembourg
30) Faroe Islands
31) Malta
32) Gibraltar

CL access list:
Leagues 1-5: 4 clubs
Leagues 6-10: 3 clubs
Leagues 11-15: 2 clubs
Leagues 16-32: 1 club
CL holder
EL holder
If either CL or EL holder already qualifies, next team in league qualifies.
16 groups of 4: top two advance to Round of 32. Round of 16 on is unseeded.

EL access list:
54 cup winners (runners-up qualify if winner qualified to CL)
1 additional club per league

86 clubs (44 play in Playoff-Round) enter. 64 participate in 64-team group stage. Format same as CL.

seand
11/04/2016, 9:10 AM
Must not feed the trolll..... must not feed the troll....

sadloserkid
11/04/2016, 12:45 PM
Legendz is gone continental in scope.

Nesta99
11/04/2016, 2:38 PM
Legendz is gone continental in scope.

Nah! Pyramid system wasn't factored in somewhere.

ger121
22/05/2016, 9:55 AM
Wasn't sure were to post this one.

The Isle of Man team with a strong Irish connection
http://the42.ie/2780732

Would be interesting if they did end up in the LOI, definitely one for the away day list.

I swear there was an actual April Fool article in one of the Red Tops on 1st April about this happening. Ironic is true!

nigel-harps1954
22/05/2016, 11:23 AM
That would be fantastic, but would the clubs allow it? Imagine the costs for a Cabinteely or Athlone Town to travel over for a match. They'd likely play 3pm Saturday games too you'd imagine to allow for teams to go over and back in one day.

legendz
22/05/2016, 4:48 PM
Where is the pyramid structure in all of this! ;)

When the CL had two group stages it was not attractive for tv audiences. The second group stage possibly had the calibre of teams that they now think will attract larger tv audiences for the two groups of 8.

outspoken
22/05/2016, 10:58 PM
Wasn't sure were to post this one.

The Isle of Man team with a strong Irish connection
http://the42.ie/2780732

Would be interesting if they did end up in the LOI, definitely one for the away day list.

I swear there was an actual April Fool article in one of the Red Tops on 1st April about this happening. Ironic is true!

Just on Twitter there and a sun journo reckons the 42.ie have just quoted an April fools article by them so chances of this are very slim I'd imagine.

ltfc_2004
23/05/2016, 1:51 PM
I remember years ago spending a summer living on the IOM and Shamrock Rovers were over playing them along with Aldo's Tramere, Port Vale and Oldham and best of all having a blast with the football cult hero/legends Ian Ormonroyd and Andy Ritchie.

The bowl was a lovely little ground.

ger121
23/05/2016, 7:50 PM
Just on Twitter there and a sun journo reckons the 42.ie have just quoted an April fools article by them so chances of this are very slim I'd imagine.

Saw the Twitter post by Neil O'Riodan. He was picking up on the fact that they had quoted some of the April Fools piece, which they later removed. However the story still say talks are taking place with another League. Who knows if that League is ours.

Dodge
23/05/2016, 11:18 PM
It's definitely ours. Whether it'll happen or not is another story but they want in

osarusan
24/05/2016, 8:30 AM
Even without cross-league issues, I can't imagine it would happen purely for financial reasons, unless travel and accommodation costs were sponsored/subsidised for teams going there.

Costs would be an absolute killer even once a season, never mind every second game for the Isle of Man club.

Dodge
24/05/2016, 9:13 AM
The article says that the Isle of Man crowd would have to pay the expenses for visiting teams

osarusan
24/05/2016, 9:24 AM
The article says that the Isle of Man crowd would have to pay the expenses for visiting teams
Where does it say that? I can't see it anywhere, must be missing it.

Real ale Madrid
24/05/2016, 9:59 AM
The craic would be 90 there.

Dodge
24/05/2016, 3:58 PM
Where does it say that? I can't see it anywhere, must be missing it.

Huh, they must have taken that bit out when they edited it (they also removed mention of the Sun's story)