PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Pubs (in the uk)

Roo69
13/01/2005, 1:40 PM
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13281367,00.html

I think this subject was mentioned a while back. What do people think ?

Risteard
14/01/2005, 12:36 PM
I think its a brilliant idea.
Simple actually.
I've a theory that this will reduce drunken trouble. (I'm going to wait til i'm challenged to outline this, i'm very tired.)
Basically, the less aura about drink the better.
No closing times.
No age limit.

Peadar
14/01/2005, 12:42 PM
I think its a brilliant idea.
Simple actually.
I've a theory that this will reduce drunken trouble. (I'm going to wait til i'm challenged to outline this, i'm very tired.)

Please explain. ;)

piratemousey
14/01/2005, 12:47 PM
no it wont reduce trouble,binge drinking,fighting,arrests and so on.
why may be this so?
because its the places that have all the viloence, trouble etc. that will be the ones to say open 24 hours.
the real ale pubs and freehouses wont stay open. they may increase the time by 1-2 hours perhaps(11 pm is time in england)
its the downtown cac holes lite yates,O'neills,the walkabout,(perhaps weatherspoons)shark bar,polar bar all those chain pubs and standing only bars.

Babysis
14/01/2005, 12:52 PM
no it wont reduce trouble,binge drinking,fighting,arrests and so on.
why may be this so?
because its the places that have all the viloence, trouble etc. that will be the ones to say open 24 hours.
the real ale pubs and freehouses wont stay open. they may increase the time by 1-2 hours perhaps(11 pm is time in england)
its the downtown cac holes lite yates,O'neills,the walkabout,(perhaps weatherspoons)shark bar,polar bar all those chain pubs and standing only bars.

You've just named most of West Street in Brighton, which kicks off without fail every friday and sat night at kicking out time. I would assume that the thinking is that if pubs are open longer, then people wont feel the need to drinkn so madly. they can take their time and not rush. They cant be kicked out, so that rules out the usual drunken brawl at the end of the night. Dont know that its gonna work like that, or if that my thinking is even correct.

razor
14/01/2005, 1:57 PM
Be brilliant.
One could head over for the weekend and no need to worry about accomodation.
Super, could spend the money saved on gargle.

drinkfeckarse
14/01/2005, 3:14 PM
One could head over for the weekend and no need to worry about accomodation.
Super, could spend the money saved on gargle.

Never thought of that...brilliant :D

Aberdonian Stu
14/01/2005, 3:15 PM
Well the Daily Mail have a campaign against so going by that rule of thumb its a good idea :D

Dublin12
14/01/2005, 3:26 PM
Will it mean those early kick off times will be a thing of the past then?

Pauro 76
16/01/2005, 10:27 AM
As a part-time bar worker in London, I think its a horrendous, horrendous idea. Bar workers work long enough hours as it is. Have they thought about staff in all this? Most bar-workers I know have full-time other jobs, which means either quitting their full-time jobs, and leaving other people to fill in their shifts. Is there going to be say a 15 hour maximum shift being brought in? A lot of bars are struggling to get the staff anyway, and i really think this'll close a lot of pubs down. but i think most pubs will stick to the old hours, the ones with a small amount of staff...

dcfcsteve
16/01/2005, 6:32 PM
The whole "24-hour" thing is hugely misleading here.

A drinks industry survey showed that only 1% of all bars in England and Wales (where the law affects) plan to actually stay open 24hrs. Most of those will probably be bang in the centre of very busy cities (e.g. Leicester Sq), with a large food-offereing on as well to get people in, as otherwise there just wouldn't be the money in it. Will probably end up with just one or 2 24hr bar in each regional city, as the volume of all-night drinkers just wouldn't support any more.

It's unlikely most bars will chose to open beyond 3-4am, and a lot of 'locals' in out-of-town areas will probably just stick to their current licensing hours.

In terms of staff, I don't know what the laws are on working hours in England and Wales, but I can't see staff being asked to work ridiculously long shifts. Tired, pis*sed-off staff don't make good workers, and therefore don't maximise the income. I can see a 3rd shift being introduced for those bars that do opt for long hours, so it could even have the positive effect of current shifts being reduced, with the option of overtime for those who want the extra cash.

As for its impact on binge drinking and violence - I think its endemic in the English/Irish culture now. Would take at least a generation to change it, and I'm nowhere near convinced that it will. The trickle of people leaving bars/clubs should hopefully lead to less scraps (I counted 15 cops and 3 vans outside Ocenana nightclub in Kingston on Sat night just waiting for the usual shenanigans to start. Strangely enough, they weren't long waiting for it...)