PDA

View Full Version : Are we a physical side?

pete
21/01/2002, 4:43 PM
from Stephen Kenny yesterday...

"We did well to lead by one goal at half-time and we knew if we were to win we would have to get the ball down and play in the second half. Cork have a big, strong team and if you allow them get on top of you they will punish you from free kicks and corner kicks and I think we did that well today."

Why does everyone think city are a physical side? Sure we hoof ball but the only players you could consider physical players might be Coughlan, Napier & O'Grady & almost all teams have big centre backs.

:confused:

Éanna
21/01/2002, 8:09 PM
we are physical if you consider that we do our best not to play football and still win games. but we're not really very good at it, we've got passing players, we should try passing the ball. it worked ok for the first while yesterday.

Troy.McClure
22/01/2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
we should try passing the ball. it worked ok for the first while yesterday.

City passing the ball doesnt just work ok, it crusifies teams! When we play the ball on the ground (ala the DB years) we were almost always the better team. DM & LM both like the "big target man" style, and while I do aswell, I think that we could do more than hoofing it out of center back. We're not as bad at it as last year but I think that it could still be improved on.

Éanna
22/01/2002, 12:11 PM
i don't mind a team playing with a target man if they have one! We don't, that's the problem. Hoofing to Mulligan, Hartigan or CP is never going to work.

Also, I think Mountfield had the intention of getting city into a passing mindset, but it didn't quite work out for whatever reasons. I remember someone telling me that he used to spend most of the game screaming at the defenders to keep it on the ground, but they kept on hoofing.

Bernie
22/01/2002, 12:58 PM
Spot on, we need a quality footballing side in Cork to bring the fans out. One that scores plenty of goals aswell.
Alot of people I know become disillusioned with the Hoofing and defensive tactics.

A bit of quality please.
A

James
22/01/2002, 1:04 PM
still bit ****ed off with the trip home to the X, but at least now realise the frustration of so many posters here, with the style of play, even though results pre my trip home had been ok.

The play on Sunday was pathetic, lacked direction and heart.

and that comment from Kenny, that city punish you from freekicks and corners..sounds like bullchit to me ...

city always either blast free-kicks at the wall or else over the bar..(from Coughlan)..I cant remember them doing much damage from corners over the last year or 2 bar the couple Dereck got in Dayler earlier on in the season, whereas we used to before.

pete
22/01/2002, 2:00 PM
City have scored a few golas from corners & free kicks this season but I would think at league average level at most.

I can't remeber the last time city scored from a direct freekick let alone threaten (Derek take note) the keeper & not the b***s in the wall ;)

On sunday city hoofed the ball (i.e. aimless long ball) as opposed to hitting long passes. Most of the hoofing wasn't at the forwards but just as far as the defenders could kick it.

Bray have a good surface for passing the ball so no excuses on friday. The league is tight enough as we only 9 points off a playoff spot now.....

Éanna
22/01/2002, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by pete
The league is tight enough as we only 9 points off a playoff spot now.....
surely that means that if we're losing at half time in bray the manager should get sacked!

Citymark
22/01/2002, 7:40 PM
I don't think City are actually physical enough. If you compared them standing beside the Bohs team they looked quite small. The Bohs players seem to be far broader and fitter. City lost most of the 50 50 balls as they were not physically strong enough to hold off the player.

Obviously full time training helps in this regard

Éanna
23/01/2002, 9:23 AM
what i meant was that we're trying to be physical, but we're not too good at it!

Troy.McClure
23/01/2002, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
i don't mind a team playing with a target man if they have one! We don't, that's the problem. Hoofing to Mulligan, Hartigan or CP is never going to work.

Ya I totally agree. I think that it was a missed oppertunity not to sign Ian Gilzene when he was released by Pats at the start of the season. Where is he now? What Citymark & Eanna said about the team not being physical enough is true aswell (especially for Hartigan). All of the players with the possible exception of Caughlan need to put on some muscle and spend some more time in the weights room!

Éanna
23/01/2002, 5:34 PM
Gilzean is at Elgin City in the scottish 3rd (i think) division and last time i checked, he was scoring quite a few goals.

btw, re the physical thing- i don't think o'grady needs to toughen up too much :D