PDA

View Full Version : Should the FAI scrap the league cup?

shizzle787
26/03/2016, 7:56 PM
Winning the Premier Division signifies being champions of Ireland, winning the FAI Cup signifies being champions of Ireland as well, winning the Champions League signifies being champions of Europe, winning regional cups signifies being champions of your region;
however, what does winning the league cup signify?

Also, league cups lead to undue fixture congestion which leads to more injuries and a lower standard of play in the other competitions as some starters still do play in league cup matches (especially deeper in the tournament).

What do you think, should the FAI scrap the league cup (and at the same time, the President's Cup as it is also meaningless)?

Candystripe
26/03/2016, 8:37 PM
No.It gives squad players a chance to break into the first team.

patrickccfc
26/03/2016, 9:14 PM
Winning the Premier Division signifies being champions of Ireland, winning the FAI Cup signifies being champions of Ireland as well, winning the Champions League signifies being champions of Europe, winning regional cups signifies being champions of your region;
however, what does winning the league cup signify?

Also, league cups lead to undue fixture congestion which leads to more injuries and a lower standard of play in the other competitions as some starters still do play in league cup matches (especially deeper in the tournament).

What do you think, should the FAI scrap the league cup (and at the same time, the President's Cup as it is also meaningless)?

So the Europa league should be scrapped too? And every countries FA should scrap their version's of super cup? Nonsense.

sulywaterfordfc
26/03/2016, 10:08 PM
No. Gives the clubs a break from the league action and a chance to take there mind off the league in particular clubs in mid table. Gives squad players a chance to get some competitive minutes under there belt and a chance to impress there manager and break into the team. And at the end of the day it's a trophy and for clubs not competing at the top end it gives them a chance of winning something. Plus the final is a good day out obviously if you're a fan of one of the teams in the final.

oriel
26/03/2016, 10:09 PM
For a start the term 'Champions of a Ireland' each season relates to the PD champions only. The team who wins the FAI Cup are 'cup winners'

The league cup is not ideal but it's not a bad 3rd competition, and it's certainly not 'meaningless' as it was not to Galway last year who hosted it, or Pats who won it. For Dundalk it was a very important trophy in sept 2014, as it was the first trophy won by the club in 12 years and it was very important to the majority of the 3,500 crowd, and most of the team who won their first senior medal. I'm also convinced winning it, was a huge platform to winning the league a month later.

shizzle787
27/03/2016, 4:00 AM
So the Europa league should be scrapped too? And every countries FA should scrap their version's of super cup? Nonsense.
No, the Europa League should not be scrapped as cup winners should play in Europe, and yes the 40 or so countries that have super cups should scrap them (some, such as Norway, already have).

citybone
27/03/2016, 5:21 AM
Super cups are a pre-season tournament in the same way the Munster senior cup and Leinster senior cup are/should be. I would prefer the League cup to me merged with the Setanta cup I'd be happy but in it's current format I would be ok to scrap it.

patrickccfc
27/03/2016, 9:18 AM
No, the Europa League should not be scrapped as cup winners should play in Europe, and yes the 40 or so countries that have super cups should scrap them (some, such as Norway, already have).

But what then does the Europa league signify if the winners of the champions league are the champions of Europe?

I do enjoy the league cup though, the only trophy I haven't seen us win

Pauro 76
27/03/2016, 9:39 AM
I'd be happier to see the back of the Leinster Senior Cup to be honest.

pineapple stu
27/03/2016, 9:45 AM
Certainly wasn't missed in the decade it was scrapped alright.

Dodge
27/03/2016, 12:35 PM
The fixture congestion thing is a red herring for the league cup. It's a max of 5 games and for most clubs significantly less

Martinho II
27/03/2016, 4:39 PM
I would like to see the league cup stay but scrap the regional draw from the start. for starters its wrong we should be getting Athlone Town in that draw. it should be open draw. keep the leinster senior cup if it wasnt for this competition I would never have being in Enniscorthy to see them play when we played Shamrock Rovers the Enniscorthy version!

patrickccfc
27/03/2016, 6:09 PM
I would like to see the league cup stay but scrap the regional draw from the start.

I agree with this. Ridiculous that we got wexford 5 seasons in a row. It would be better to not have an idea of who we get. Why can't we play cockhill it's not fair :cool:

citybone
28/03/2016, 3:30 AM
I agree with this. Ridiculous that we got wexford 5 seasons in a row. It would be better to not have an idea of who we get. Why can't we play cockhill it's not fair :cool:

you travelling to cockhill away on a Tuesday in March?
I did go to Kerry District league away on a Tuesday in March but that wasn't as far.

patrickccfc
28/03/2016, 8:27 AM
you travelling to cockhill away on a Tuesday in March?
I did go to Kerry District league away on a Tuesday in March but that wasn't as far.

Ha yeah if I could get work off maybe but just saying that it would be good if we could be drawn against them or everyone in the competition

marinobohs
29/03/2016, 2:14 PM
No, if clubs find the additional fixtures too 'onerous' then play their reserves/youths/whoever. Always a 'day out' for whoever makes the final so leave it there to provide a rare moment or two of joy for some long suffering fans ;)

EatYerGreens
29/03/2016, 2:25 PM
There are only two competitions that every team in the league is entitled to participate in : the FAI Cup and the League Cup.

Is that really such an onerous chore ? Seriously - what's the problem ?

EatYerGreens
29/03/2016, 5:00 PM
There are only two competitions open to every League of Ireland club = the FAI Cup and the League Cup.

Is that really so onerous that one should go? Why would we want only one trophy available to all to compete for?

Don't forget that the League Cup also provides further opportunities for a few non-league clubs to take on senior clubs, and thereby give them a feel for what being an LOI club themselves might be like. Anything that gives non-league clubs a realistic insight into the league can only be a good thing for future expansion.

Nesta99
30/03/2016, 4:19 PM
With no reserve league the League cup and LSC etc are the few times that U20s get senior game time, reason enough to keep it!

wonder88
30/03/2016, 11:37 PM
I agree that it serves a purpose as a a short of reserve league, especially when combined with the LSC for those who play in both. This would work well if you had a group stage giving teams minimum of 6 games on top of LSC type games. Finals in recent years have generate public interest and raised the profile a bit of clubs involved, even if the financial benefits are modest.

sadloserkid
31/03/2016, 7:24 AM
There's only 28 games in the First Division season. There's definitely still room for the League Cup.

nigel-harps1954
31/03/2016, 9:26 AM
There's only 28 games in the First Division season. There's definitely still room for the League Cup.

I've said that 28 games there just isn't enough. The First Division cup should probably return to play the first few weeks of the season, that was great craic. Would also give room to scrap the midweek Premier Division games if there were three or four weeks at the start of the season taken up in the FD by a cup competition.

Quayman
31/03/2016, 10:10 AM
I don't think it should be, its a good chance for first division sides and the select few non league sides to test themselves. Its also a good opportunity for the premier sides to play "reserve" players and give younger lads a go.

sadloserkid
31/03/2016, 10:19 AM
I've said that 28 games there just isn't enough. The First Division cup should probably return to play the first few weeks of the season, that was great craic. Would also give room to scrap the midweek Premier Division games if there were three or four weeks at the start of the season taken up in the FD by a cup competition.

The illustrious Kildare County made their competitive bow against then-League Cup holders Limerick in the First Division Cup. They beat us 2-0. Ah, the memories.

EatYerGreens
31/03/2016, 12:03 PM
I agree that it serves a purpose as a a short of reserve league, especially when combined with the LSC for those who play in both. This would work well if you had a group stage giving teams minimum of 6 games on top of LSC type games. Finals in recent years have generate public interest and raised the profile a bit of clubs involved, even if the financial benefits are modest.

The financial benefits of everything in our league are low though. Europe is the only real potential money-spinner (and it comes with added costs).

Is it true that it costs a lot of clubs to be in the league, with the registration fee being higher than they get back for a low-place finish? Madness if so.

Nesta99
01/04/2016, 12:39 AM
The First Division cup should probably return to play the first few weeks of the season, that was great craic.

CUP?? All things 1st Division only should be called the (1st Division) Shield! Even in England its Senior Cup or Trophy for the minnows ;P

nigel-harps1954
01/04/2016, 7:43 AM
CUP?? All things 1st Division only should be called the (1st Division) Shield! Even in England its Senior Cup or Trophy for the minnows ;P

If it were called anything else, Harps would remain the holders of the First Division Cup..since 2003.

Eminence Grise
01/04/2016, 9:23 AM
For the amount of metal that's in it, I doubt it's worth much as scrap.

sadloserkid
01/04/2016, 12:25 PM
If the powers that be are reading this I suspect they're now trying to figure out a way of scrapping the First Division itself and replacing it entirely with a First Division Cup/Shield/Trophy.

gufcfan
01/04/2016, 3:43 PM
If the powers that be are reading this I suspect they're now trying to figure out a way of scrapping the First Division itself and replacing it entirely with a First Division Cup/Shield/Trophy.

Or announce that it will happen and never bother running it.

mcgonigle
08/04/2016, 1:20 PM
I can imagine the excitement in Abbotstown when one of their forum trawlers comes across this thread starts reading the title, gets as far as "Should the FAI scrap the league..." his excitement gets the better of him and he presses the JD button on the big red phone. "Dear Leader, I think we may have a way out, the fans think..... oh no wait sorry it says league CUP, is that a competition?" LONG PAUSE "Ok I'll ask that Fran fella, he might know"

Mr A
08/04/2016, 1:27 PM
I think the league cup should scrap the FAI.