PDA

View Full Version : Fixtures 24-26 March

Pages : [1] 2

oriel
25/03/2016, 10:41 PM
Surprised no thread on this yet, but only one game played before the Ireland match tonight I suppose.

Good match from a Dundalk point of view last night, maybe 4-0 was a little harsh on Pats, however Dundalk exploited almost every gap that Pats left open and they were many. Thought Pats really struggled defending the high ball, Dennehy at the back doesn't look to be the answer, and it would appear Bolger is a huge loss.

Dundalk were impressive though. Good response from last weeks defeat. John Mountney is becoming a big player, looked very comfortable last night, O'Donnell had an excellent game also and Horgan was a live wire all night. Kilduff needs to do better though, McMillan prob unlucky not to start, took his goal well.

Looking forward to seeing the updates on the other matches over the weekend, some decent games on.

El-Pietro
26/03/2016, 6:16 AM
I'm pleased we made the decision to postpone our game with Rovers from a competitive point of view. It says a lot about where we are at that we can afford to give up a guaranteed 4000+ gate.

On the other hand I'm annoyed that we have no game. Horrible week with no football to look forward to

oriel
26/03/2016, 9:46 AM
I'm pleased we made the decision to postpone our game with Rovers from a competitive point of view. It says a lot about where we are at that we can afford to give up a guaranteed 4000+ gate.

On the other hand I'm annoyed that we have no game. Horrible week with no football to look forward to

Was there really a need to cancel the game in the first place? with only two guaranteed starters missing between both sides, and both incidentally who didn't start for the u21's.

Granted it's probably a wet day over the country today, but prob would have made more sense to play it on the Thursday night.

I don't know how you can say you can afford to give up a 4k gate which will reduce to around 3k when it's rescheduled for mid week, that's a significant loss in revenue.

jinxy lilywhite
26/03/2016, 10:13 AM
When will the cork rovers game be squeezed in?

Personally I would prefer the points on the board.

On our match on Thursday a thoroughly enjoyable game. The result flattered us but great to get 4. It puts last week's overreaction Imo in its place.

But cork are the team to beat this year. We just need to be on their coat tails or a wee head start for when they slip up ;)

ATFC-1887
26/03/2016, 10:30 AM
Athlone 16/1 with bet365http://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://foot.ie/#19339112) to beat Limerick tonight. They have to lose sometime :)

thomas72
26/03/2016, 1:15 PM
Athlone 16/1 with bet365http://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://foot.ie/#19339112) to beat Limerick tonight. They have to lose sometime :)

That is an unbelievable price home team aswell surely tempting you for a £5 bet?

Lim till i die
26/03/2016, 2:23 PM

Just for people who don't understand betting.

Odds of 16/1 mean that if you put five euro on athlone to win, you will lose five Euro.

sulywaterfordfc
26/03/2016, 3:17 PM
Was there really a need to cancel the game in the first place? with only two guaranteed starters missing between both sides, and both incidentally who didn't start for the u21's.

Kevin O Connor started midfield and both Maguire and Miele came off the bench. All three I would assume would have started in the Cork v Rovers game.

Dodge
26/03/2016, 4:09 PM
Cork had the right to get it called off because they had 2 involved (nothing to do with Rovers and Miele). They probably wouldn't have done it if Greg Bolger wasn't going to be suspended for it, or if it wasn't against one of the top 4/5 teams

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2016, 4:09 PM
Galway 1-0 Bohs FT

gufc2000
26/03/2016, 4:15 PM
Poor game in Galway, the awful conditions certainly played their part. We had the more clearcut chances in the game, should've had a peno too in the second half. Excellent cross from Cunningham for Vinny to knock it in for our goal. Clean sheet was important too.

Very happy with 10 points from our opening 5 games. Took until May last year to get into double figures points wise so a very promising start, hopefully we can keep it going now.

wonder88
26/03/2016, 4:58 PM
superb cross for the goal is right. A Bohs defender made a half-hearted attempt to handle it I think, before it reached Faherty. Galway just about the better team. Saw on twitter that it is a long time since Galway have been given a penalty. Weather didn't help standard of play or crowd numbers.

gufc2000
26/03/2016, 5:00 PM
superb cross for the goal is right. A Bohs defender made a half-hearted attempt to handle it I think, before it reached Faherty. Galway just about the better team.
Don't think a figure for the crowd was given, my own guess be approx 1350. Saw on twitter that it is a long time since Galway have been given a penalty.
1170 was the attendance according to club Twitter account

SwanVsDalton
26/03/2016, 6:25 PM
Two last-minute winners on the bounce, four wins on the bounce, joint top of the table...*hyperventilates into paper bag*

White Horse
26/03/2016, 6:46 PM
Two last-minute winners on the bounce, four wins on the bounce, joint top of the table...*hyperventilates into paper bag*

Top of the table clash in Oriel next week!

Longfordian
26/03/2016, 7:44 PM
Just for people who don't understand betting.

Odds of 16/1 mean that if you put five euro on athlone to win, you will lose five Euro.

Wise words from LTID here as Limerick are 2-0 up. In other news massive underdogs Longford still scrapping gamely in Donegal and keeping Harps scoreless.

pineapple stu
26/03/2016, 8:01 PM
Bray finally starting to kick into gear, 3-0 up against Sligo.

Meanwhile, various sources disagreeing as to whether Ryan Swan scored our opener, or just set up Georgie Kelly for it. Good aul LoI.

White Horse
26/03/2016, 8:05 PM
Bray finally starting to kick into gear, 3-0 up against Sligo.

Things could get nasty in Sligo, and very soon.

pineapple stu
26/03/2016, 8:15 PM
Limerick score again, a whole 35 minutes since their previous goal.

Excluding injury time, that's the third-longest they've gone without scoring in the league this season, after 41 minutes against Cobh (having scored in injury time in Waterford) and 36 minutes between the fourth against UCD and the opener in Waterford.

And in typing that, they've scored a fourth.

Jofspring
26/03/2016, 8:38 PM
Athlone 0-5 Limerick FT

gufc2000
26/03/2016, 9:18 PM
Limerick six points clear just four games in, and have +16 goal difference. Outcome looking ominous already.

oriel
26/03/2016, 9:46 PM
Excellent start by Galway, they look to be well capable of a solid mid table finish, early days mind, but the dark horse so far definitely appears to be Derry, impressive digging out a win in the last min. Going to be very tough game on Friday bow v Derry.

Not sure what's going on at a Sligo., decent win for Bray, but that's a dreadful second half collapse by Sligo, can't see Roberston working out.

Limerick appear to be head and shoulders above everyone in the FD, that could be all over by the end of the summer.

sulywaterfordfc
26/03/2016, 9:56 PM
First clean sheet for us. Nice two nil win. Up to second now after the hardest start. Goal difference isn't in the negatives for first time in God knows how long. Rockmount on Monday now hopefully go for three wins on the spin.

NeverFeltBetter
26/03/2016, 10:05 PM
Every goal Limerick score, the more annoyed I get that they got themselves relegated in the first place.

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2016, 10:10 PM
Longford are brutal, honestly, it's amazing how we only won 1-0 and it took a penalty to get the goal.

Our lack of genuine goal threat could be costly this season.

As for Longford, long season ahead for them.

oriel
26/03/2016, 10:13 PM
I think Harps will be fairly happy with the start so far Sam? Decent win, but I hear Longford were dreadful.

MeathDrog
26/03/2016, 10:23 PM
3-0 was harsh on Drogheda but you have to take your chances and they didn't.

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2016, 10:26 PM
I think Harps will be fairly happy with the start so far Sam? Decent win, but I hear Longford were dreadful.

We're very happy, I don't think anyone will out battle us and I don't see us shipping too many big defeats but our lack of goals could be a major downfall.

We totally dominated tonight but only scrapped a 1-0 win.

Longford will have a serious battle to stay up if that's the best they can do though.

Stephen Kenny, Paddy McEleney and supposedly Darius Kearns in the crowd tonight watching. They'll be very afraid of what they saw tonight no doubt haha.

oriel
26/03/2016, 10:46 PM
I thought Harps looked solid enough a few weeks ago when they played Dundalk, may have been 3-0 but you kept your shape and Dlk had to work for the two extra goals.

I'd be expecting a tough game in May, looking forward to it, my first visit, we're staying over too, based on the talk with lots fans at Pats away last thurs, going to be some crowd heading up.

What's the realistic hopes of Harps this season? I would think you should be clear of relegation, but it's very early days, a few injuries and poor results and things can obviously change very quickly. Same for most clubs though.

Sam_Heggy
26/03/2016, 10:50 PM
We're missing Sean Houstan and Barry Molloy since the Derry game, 2 massive players for us. Rafter played 45 mins on Tues night against Cockhill in the league cup so if we got those 3 back from injury we'd have a very strong side.

Finish 11th or higher would be a good season considering the resources at Ollie Horgans disposal.

Olander
27/03/2016, 12:34 AM
Excellent start by Galway, they look to be well capable of a solid mid table finish, early days mind, but the dark horse so far definitely appears to be Derry, impressive digging out a win in the last min. Going to be very tough game on Friday bow v Derry.
I honestly don't think so. Derry City aren't great IMO. (I'm not saying we are either).

Some very questionable tactical changes (or lack of changes, not using subs) from our manager played right into their hands at the Brandywell. A proper seasoned outfit would've seen the game out. We were very comfortable in the first half and deserving of our lead but lost a key player at half time and with certain players exhausted, Dunne waited until way too late in the game to make a change and bizarrely he didn't use his third sub. Derry City emptied their bench. We should've drawn and were sucker-punched in extra time.

I'd expect for Dundalk to beat them well.

micls
27/03/2016, 6:03 AM

Granted it's probably a wet day over the country today, but prob would have made more sense to play it on the Thursday night.

I don't know how you can say you can afford to give up a 4k gate which will reduce to around 3k when it's rescheduled for mid week, that's a significant loss in revenue.

We would have been missing O' Connor and Maguire because of the u21s, and Bolger would have been suspended had the game gone ahead. Competitively, it was the right decision. Yes, it definitely means a financial hit but if the club feel we're capable of taking that hit for the sake of improving our chances of getting the 3 points, that's a good thing.

White Horse
27/03/2016, 9:38 AM
I'd say the cancellation of the Cork/Rovers game was motivated by Bolger's absence.

It was an understandable decision by Cork, and they should recoup some of the loss through fining Boger for his stupidity.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
27/03/2016, 10:27 AM
Things could get nasty in Sligo, and very soon.

Especially with Cork, Pars and Dundalk next 3. Thought we were better team first half but horrific in the second half (again)

El-Pietro
27/03/2016, 10:27 AM

Firstly O'Conner started against Italy. Secondly that game was played Thursday.

Obviously the club feel as if they can afford to make this decision, or else the game would have been played

Town Legend
27/03/2016, 11:15 AM
We are playing with in all reality a squad of about 16 players this season. Against Harps we were missing Pat Flynn, Conor Powell, Mark Rossiter, Rhys Gorman, Kevin O'Connor and Lee Duffy. At start of the season I said we'd struggle and in all likely hood be relegated but when you throw in missing those 6 players we never had a chance.

TC's decision to go with a small squad and pull from the underage teams for back up is going to backfire on him.

hollocaine
27/03/2016, 11:49 AM
His decision? Would you not think that it was imposed onto him given the poor home support last season, and therefore poor gate income. It appears that the budget set is realistic and the squad reflects this.

outspoken
27/03/2016, 12:06 PM
His decision? Would you not think that it was imposed onto him given the poor home support last season, and therefore poor gate income. It appears that the budget set is realistic and the squad reflects this.

The budget has never been based on gate receipts if it was we wouldn't have one at all. To me it looks like the money men have pulled things back a little bit after some big spending to get us out of the FD

Town Legend
27/03/2016, 12:12 PM

The attendance numbers have nothing got to do with our budget, and hasn't for the last number of years. TC admitted himself he wanted to bring the average age of the squad down from last year.

Hitman
27/03/2016, 3:18 PM
TC's decision to go with a small squad and pull from the underage teams for back up is going to backfire on him.

As a matter of interest, are your underage teams mostly locally based or are ye drawing players from Dublin?

outspoken
27/03/2016, 3:31 PM
As a matter of interest, are your underage teams mostly locally based or are ye drawing players from Dublin?

Mostly Dublin drawn. Thankfully local numbers have started to increase over the past couple of seasons but very few if any break into the senior side. I've heard a few complaints from local players that certain underage players are quicker to get a senior call up because they are dubs. Could just be disappointed kids making a statement then again when you see some of the players cousins has attempted to bring though you do wonder what he saw in some of them.

Ezeikial
27/03/2016, 8:29 PM
The attendance numbers have nothing got to do with our budget, and hasn't for the last number of years.

That's a really naive claim

While the Longford budget may not be based exclusively on attendance numbers, it is likely that increased gate receipts would impact positively on the playing budget

Longfordian
27/03/2016, 9:00 PM
Yeah any increase in attendances would of course be of benefit to the budget. To be honest though, driving through town today it really hit home that the place is on its knees. I'm not one to get overly dramatic but a drive around the main streets is an eye opener for someone who lives away from Longford. Empty shop units everywhere and loads of bargain stores in the ones that are open. There's been no 'recovery', there are still jobs being lost and I'm not surprised that we're struggling to get people out to pay their €15.

Some will say the club could be doing more and they're probably right but I'm not convinced it would make any difference financially. We're still relatively competitive in LOI due to the interest and support of a very few individuals (one in particular). If that changed we'd probably be back to the bottom of the First or maybe even dropping out altogether.

Town Legend
27/03/2016, 9:22 PM
That's a really naive claim

While the Longford budget may not be based exclusively on attendance numbers, it is likely that increased gate receipts would impact positively on the playing budget

Of course increased gates would help the budget but what I'm saying is our gates is not top of the list in dictating our budget. TC stated before pre season that he wanted to lower the age of the squad and give more of the U-19's a chance. He got rid of a good few experienced PL players and didn't replace them. The U-19's aren't good enough for PL football yet if at all. This is probably the least talented squad we've had in the PL and I'd even go as far as saying our FD winning squad was better. Once we go outside our first 11 we are struggling. So unless we're not going to suffer injuries or suspensions we'll be grand but at the minute we are missing I think 6!!

So no Ezeikiel, I don't think it's 'a really naive claim'.

RathfarnhamHoop
27/03/2016, 9:42 PM

was it not 3 players? Miele, Maguire and O'Connor or are you not counting O'Connor? Personally from a rovers point missing Miele is reason enough to try get it postponed.

total hoofball
28/03/2016, 4:25 PM
Has Cousins assembled this younger squad because he believes it's progression for the club or is he simply managing a budget cut?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would choose the likes of Dillon, Hughes, McGlynn, O'Reilly over very good and proven players like Rice, Sullivan, Salmon, Ben Mohamed

Martinho II
28/03/2016, 4:32 PM
Has Cousins assembled this younger squad because he believes it's progression for the club or is he simply managing a budget cut?

I don't think anyone in their right mind would choose the likes of Dillon, Hughes, McGlynn, O'Reilly over very good and proven players like Rice, Sullivan, Salmon, Ben Mohamed

this in my view is a budget cut this reminds me so much of the 06 season when we lost so many quality performers and was never replaced!

Town Legend
28/03/2016, 5:40 PM
Budget is the same as last season.

outspoken
28/03/2016, 6:42 PM
Cousins openly stated his intention to reduce the age of the squad, the outcome of this season will be down to him.

oriel
29/03/2016, 10:30 AM
Firstly O'Conner started against Italy. Secondly that game was played Thursday.

Obviously the club feel as if they can afford to make this decision, or else the game would have been played

Fair point, I forgot the u21 game was on Thursday also (and about O'Connor!!) At least you have a second Rovers game at home later in the season on the regular Friday night slot.