PDA

View Full Version : Waterford Utd. Admission prices 2005

kilkennycat2004
12/01/2005, 12:01 PM
Admission prices for the new season have been announced. Adult stand tickets will now cost €15, a child stand ticket will be €8 while student/OAP prices for the stand will be €10. Admission to the ground only will be €10 for adults, €5 for children while students and OAP's will have to pay €8.

Very poor value by way of comparison with GAA & all Waterford Utd 2005 admission prices are increased since last season.
(eg. stand was E12 now E15)
As a regular attender of both GAA & soccer I always think the GAA do a great job promoting the game with free admission for kids usually being the norm for all bar sell out matches. And this includes the stand. Maybe helps explain why there was such poor support at Lansdowne last October at the cup final.

trevy
12/01/2005, 12:35 PM
I think its a bit on the steep side.I know the Dublin clubs already charge 15 EUR admission and their gates suffered last year.What are the other non Dublin clubs charging next year.Our gates aren't great so hope this does not have the same impact.I was happy with paying 12 EUR but a 3 Eur increase for the same facilities is a bit much.

gspain
12/01/2005, 12:55 PM
€10 normally in the first division.

Still €15 to sit or €10 to stand seems reasonable to me for professional (albeit part-time) football. It compares well with even lower leagues across the water not to mind the premiership. €20 to stand and €25 to sit in the Heineken Cup at Thomond Park. I think the Celtic League is also €15.

If the GAA is cheaper then good luck to them but in a country which rips us off at every turn I think domestic football is remarkably good value for money.

The poor crowd at the Cup Final was probably down with going head to head with Man Utd v Arsenal and playing on the same day as the compromise Rules. A late sunday evening kickoff (4.15 I think) wasn't ideal either for travelling back to Waterford or Longford. Even still though I would have expected a far bigger corwd particularly from Waterford whose support was disappointing.

Ronnie
12/01/2005, 1:22 PM
The kids free issue in Longford is a problem. Parents were droppimg kids off and not going in, a free baby sitting service. As far as I know the club aren't doing it anymore. Admission prices according to website are 15, 10 and 5. Thats a €3 up on last year for adult tickets.

Longfordian
12/01/2005, 1:26 PM
Well if it is done it will be done on a different basis, definitely won't be a blanket all kids free, €15 seems to be pretty standard now in the Premier

SÓC
12/01/2005, 1:32 PM
Cork City is going up to €13 for adults, €5 for kids afaik

Was €10 for Adults last season (for all areas of the ground)

LFC in Exile
12/01/2005, 1:55 PM
Very poor value by way of comparison with GAA

From the consumers point of view it may seem that way but it is not really comparing like with like. eL clubs use the gate receipts to run their clubs and, more importantly, to pay their players. Where does the money go in the GAA? The players aren't paid. Obviously a lot goes on upkeep of ground, insurance, security ( :) )etc. But eL clubs have these expenses as well (even if the ground cost is rent).

LFC in Exile
12/01/2005, 1:57 PM
Cork City is going up to €13 for adults, €5 for kids afaik

Was €10 for Adults last season (for all areas of the ground)

That's a 30% increase - which is steep. It is also ridiculous that City do not have a student rate. :ball:

SÓC
12/01/2005, 2:24 PM
That's a 30% increase - which is steep. It is also ridiculous that City do not have a student rate. :ball:

But it was the cheapest in the league by a distance so it had to go up really

fosterdollar
12/01/2005, 3:03 PM
How do the various season ticket prices compare?

Passive
12/01/2005, 3:46 PM
€15 may be fairly standard now but it is a complete rip-off. It's part of the Irish football mentality: 'We can't attract new fans so let's just **** over the ones we have'. Clubs do nothing to try and increase their gates and everything to try and decrease them. Irish football is a shambles.

BohDiddley
12/01/2005, 4:02 PM
€15 may be fairly standard now but it is a complete rip-off. It's part of the Irish football mentality: 'We can't attract new fans so let's just **** over the ones we have'. Clubs do nothing to try and increase their gates and everything to try and decrease them. Irish football is a shambles.
That is one tight Hoop! :eek:
Usually I'd be the first to complain about price hikes -- Westlink etc. -- in rip-off Ireland, but €15 for a live football game at the highest level is not excessive.
Don't make me do the sums, but €15 is something like IR£10 or 11, a bit more than two packs of fags, or three drinks out, for what amounts to a two-hour package. I'd pay multiples of that for our oh-so-sweet last match against you lot :cool: .
EL fans have a lot to moan about (some more than others ;) ), but ticket pricing isn't one of them.

monutdfc
12/01/2005, 4:11 PM
All-Ireland quarter-finals wer €45 for both hurling and football last year, including the Kilkenny-Clare replay in Thurles which was not a double-header. The all-Ireland final was €60 I think. I paid €15 or €18 for a 2nd or 3rd round qualifier in Clones 2 years ago, it might be €20 now.

A face
12/01/2005, 8:41 PM
Admission prices are very reasonable, went to a game in Scotland recently and they charged the same as €28 ..... €28 can you imagine it ..... and the same game City would not look out of place at all, nor some of the higher places eL teams.

Lads, we are laughin' .... enjoy it !!

CollegeTillIDie
12/01/2005, 8:49 PM
Admission prices are very reasonable, went to a game in Scotland recently and they charged the same as €28 ..... €28 can you imagine it ..... and the same game City would not look out of place at all, nor some of the higher places eL teams.

Lads, we are laughin' .... enjoy it !!

A face

You are correct. We pay a lot less than other leagues in neighbouring states.
Went to a Champions League game in Belgrade in December 2003 and it was €9 but then again League games over there are €5 and the average weekly wage is only €50.

Dr.Nightdub
12/01/2005, 9:09 PM
I've been pricing a trip to Sicily to see Palermo v Juve at the start of February: €12 for the Curva. Just goes to show.

A face
12/01/2005, 9:15 PM
A face

You are correct. We pay a lot less than other leagues in neighbouring states.
Went to a Champions League game in Belgrade in December 2003 and it was €9 but then again League games over there are €5 and the average weekly wage is only €50.

€9 .... that is 18% of their wage ... Jebus H Khrist !! :eek:

kevincronin2000
13/01/2005, 9:18 AM
Nantes away last season €5

Not complaining about the price once it benifits the club,

Passive
13/01/2005, 10:45 AM
football game at the highest level

Sorry, are we still talking about the EL here? Just because gypos and Rovers play at a higher level than Sligo and Dundalk doesn't make it "the highest level". The EL is a very poor league and, in my opinion, is getting poorer. That is because of the total neglect of the national association and the inability of clubs (with the possible exception of Cork) to attract local support. Rovers, Bohs, Shels and Pat's combined can't attract more than 10% of the Dublin population to their games. It's pathetic. People need to stop living in this foot.ie bubble where everything is fine, because it's not. The EL is a shambles because of the people who run it. Wake up. Demand change.

fosterdollar
13/01/2005, 11:23 AM
Rovers, Bohs, Shels and Pat's combined can't attract more than 10% of the Dublin population to their games.
Over 100,000 attending matches of four different Dublin clubs!!! Are you forgetting that football comes a good bit down the ranks in terms of most popular sport in this country? Jees, you don't half aim high. Some weeks four premiership clubs in London would do well to get that support through their gates and football is arguably the national sport in England.

People need to stop living in this foot.ie bubble where everything is fine, because it's not.
What bubble, general concensus 'round here is that drastic improvements ARE needed. If anything, expecting crowds of up to 30,000 at a dublin club game is dreaming... for now at least. ;)

BohDiddley
13/01/2005, 3:02 PM
Sorry, are we still talking about the EL here? Just because gypos and Rovers play at a higher level than Sligo and Dundalk doesn't make it "the highest level". The EL is a very poor league and, in my opinion, is getting poorer. That is because of the total neglect of the national association and the inability of clubs (with the possible exception of Cork) to attract local support. Rovers, Bohs, Shels and Pat's combined can't attract more than 10% of the Dublin population to their games. It's pathetic. People need to stop living in this foot.ie bubble where everything is fine, because it's not. The EL is a shambles because of the people who run it. Wake up. Demand change.
Yes, we are. It's the highest level on this island. (Do you have a personal insight that tells you otherwise!!!? )
That says nothing about the actual standard, although I think anyone who actually follows the game can see through that overplayed 'gulf-in-class' guff beloved of RTEngland.
EL might not compare with edited highlights from the Premiership, complete with ooh-ah-ometer, but it's the only football we've got. What do you want, Duff and Henry?
As it is, I have nothing but admiration for LoI players who stick to the game they love in spite of the atavistic hostility towards it of most of this country's media and population. That's real sportsmanship.
Bashing clubs, who are already to the pins of their collars, over a miserly €15 admission is not the way to get them to raise their game.

A face
13/01/2005, 8:32 PM
Yes, we are. It's the highest level on this island. (Do you have a personal insight that tells you otherwise!!!? )
That says nothing about the actual standard, although I think anyone who actually follows the game can see through that overplayed 'gulf-in-class' guff beloved of RTEngland.
EL might not compare with edited highlights from the Premiership, complete with ooh-ah-ometer, but it's the only football we've got. What do you want, Duff and Henry?
As it is, I have nothing but admiration for LoI players who stick to the game they love in spite of the atavistic hostility towards it of most of this country's media and population. That's real sportsmanship.
Bashing clubs, who are already to the pins of their collars, over a miserly €15 admission is not the way to get them to raise their game.

Just when i thought there was a queue for the people who wanted to talk shíte, the man Mr. B Diddley desperses them, all within one post.
Now who doubted that the pen was mightier than the sword.

And Rovers fans are bound to see all grey, dull, looming dark scenes at the mo ... that is understandable but c'mere .... steady on with the bullshít will ya.

Passive
14/01/2005, 10:33 AM
I'm not knocking the league or the players - I love the league! What I'm saying is that the league is, in my opinion, getting worse and that is because it is being run into the ground by the people who "run" it. Of course Rovers fans are anti-establishment at this stage, but it's not just the people "running" Rovers I'm talking about. The FAI don't give two f,ucks about the league and clubs have proven themselves unable to sell themselves to the wider public. €15 isn't much money, the point is though that prices are going up because clubs find it easier to raise admission prices for the converted than to attract new fans in.
Being a Rovers fans, I'm obviously going to be pesimistic about life. But I believe the entire EL needs a gigantic kick up the arse if we are to produce a league that the general public are going to stop mocking and actually pay attention to.

A face
14/01/2005, 12:15 PM
I believe the entire EL needs a gigantic kick up the arse if we are to produce a league that the general public are going to stop mocking and actually pay attention to.

Agreed .. and not many people wouldn't i have heard it before that there should be a kids go free policy in the eL and i'd say it could actually work.
At City there is a really father brings son thing in the crowd. When the kids grow up they'll do the same ... if there was 15-20 years of that you'd see a difference. At the moment most clubs (from what i can see anyway) aren't very family orientated, and it is not good. This needs to happen, but it is the clubs that will have to do this themselves. It is short sighted of them not to see this.