PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012

Hibs4Ever
12/01/2005, 11:56 AM
Italy have decided to apply to host Euro2012, they'll be competing against Greece and a joint Poland/Ukraine bid so far

Italy would be my choice from these

I'd say a few more countries will come in over next few years though

Jim Smith
12/01/2005, 12:11 PM
Italy have decided to apply to host Euro2012, they'll be competing against Greece and a joint Poland/Ukraine bid so far

Italy would be my choice from these
I'm not so sure. The Italian football fans and media have a habit of sulking and/or acting the b$llock$ when things don't go their way...

Bluebeard
12/01/2005, 12:13 PM
Poland/Ukraine would be a bloody nightmare for travel.

I don't mean to dis their public transport - I would imagine it is fairly efficient (it would probably be easier to get from Lodz to Warsaw than running back from a Rovers game in Inchicore to catch the second half of a match in Dalyer :rolleyes: ), but have you seen the size of those two countries? I reckon that Poznan (West Poland) and Donetsk (East Ukraine), are as far from each other as Dublin is from Poznan, and both would likely be key venues - quarter finals or the like.

Aldini98
12/01/2005, 12:32 PM
Polska is good & was cheap back in April.....better public transport than Ireland,albeit almost as slow.....can't see their stadia being up to scratch though.....Italia far more likely,as a :rolleyes: 'hotbed' of football!

EVERYWHERE has better public transport than Ireland

pineapple stu
12/01/2005, 12:34 PM
I'd say a few more countries will come in over next few years though
Winners being announced in December 2006, so countries will want to be getting their applications together now, I'd say.

gspain
12/01/2005, 1:05 PM
Italy would be a fantastic choice.

Thoroughly enjoyed a month there for Italia90. Great people, great food, great wine and every man woman and child late, slept and drank football for the tournament. Sicily was amazing particularly watching Italy on the big screen i nthe square in Cefalu.

SÓC
12/01/2005, 10:50 PM
EVERYWHERE has better public transport than Ireland

You've never lived in Wales have you?

Closed Account 2
12/01/2005, 11:51 PM
Ukraine could well have split by 2012... Also getting a visa to travel there is complicated as you need one in advance (or at least did a couple of years ago) so it wouldnt be a case of just being able to hop over the border from Poland to go to the semi final etc.

As someone else said, I dont think the stadiums are up to scratch, they'd both need to add capacity and I dunno if UEFA would be too keen on another joint tournament immediately after 2008 (in fact I doubt they'd have let 2008 be in joint-bid countries if Switzerland hadnt been one of the countries).

Ukraine Stadiums (http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/ukraine.shtml)
Polish Stadiums (http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_stadien/index.php?template=stadionlisten&land=Polen)

Suppose it could be in Greece but transport there isnt great, the odds would be on the Italians, theyve already got the stadiums to hold a tournament of double the size.

Kingdom
13/01/2005, 1:40 AM
Some cracking stadiums like! They even do some GAA ones!

This one is a peach

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/italy/friuli_venezia_giulia/trieste.shtml

eirebhoy
13/01/2005, 5:20 PM
Some cracking stadiums like!
Sorry to go off topic but why did you add the word "like"? :)

Éanna
13/01/2005, 10:17 PM
poland is a lovely country, and I'm sure that by then they will have improved stadia etc. public transport there is ok. what concerns mean is the amount of racism at games in Poland- having read some reports in FourFourTwo over the last year or 2, it makes the recent problems in spain look almost insignificant. that would have to be sorted first. ukraine is fairly unstable right now, but you'd imagine it would be sorted one way or the other by then.

greece? they were really down to the wire with the olympics, so......

italy might be a good choice