PDA

View Full Version : Waterford in for Bi Billy

razor
12/01/2005, 11:54 AM
Waterford are in for Billy Woods according to todays Mirror.

They can have him.

Gary
12/01/2005, 12:23 PM
If City are serious about winning the league in the coming season, they need to keep a hold of players such as Woods.

He is very verstaile, can score goals, make them, and a great passer of the ball.

Heres hoping he decides to sign a new deal with City. He is out of contract, and Waterford have already offered him a 2 year deal.

Longfordian
12/01/2005, 12:32 PM
Sean Prunty who is a regular on our left side be it winger or full back, nominated Woods as the most difficult opponent he's faced, he's always looked dangerous any time I've seen him

Risteard
12/01/2005, 12:36 PM
They can have him.
No they can't.

BI Billy is one of the few part-time left so i suspect he might be tied down to a job in Cork.
He's what i'd call a very useful player and shouldn't be let go before someone better replaces him.

piratemousey
12/01/2005, 1:20 PM
agreed. they would have to get someone better than him first before they have any intetion of letting him go.

SÓC
12/01/2005, 1:28 PM
I was only thinking what an asset it is to us to have Billy in our side.

We really need him to stay.

When he came into the side on the right wing he was fantastic. Never let us down on the left or at left back either

patsh
12/01/2005, 1:37 PM
Billy is a first teamer, one of the great City players, and a top class footballer. Letting him go to a team of thugs and hackers would be disgusting.

Billy deserves a league medal, he has a good chance of one here, so sign him up. I reckon he will sign, just doesn't need to for a while.

[Edit] Just saw the Echo. Billy says he is not going anywhere.
"I have yet to sign but I have no interest in leaving Cork City. I want to stay at the club," said the Midleton-based car salesman today

Excellent news.
Bi Billy, Bi Billy, Bi Billy, Billy Woods.....Yes!:D

patsh
12/01/2005, 2:05 PM
Spillage also says "Another player linked with Cork in recent days has been Dubliner Dave Savage who was capped five times by Ireland . The ex-Millwall, Northampton Town, Oxford United and Bristol Rovers midfielder is on the transfer list but if he does end up coming home then the chances are that he will join one of the big Dublin clubs."

FFS...:rolleyes: Who linked him with City? possibly a ghoul who claims he is a soccer journalist and has the initials NS?:rolleyes:
and then to go on and say he will probably go to a jackeen club anyway...:rolleyes:

Casegrande
12/01/2005, 2:05 PM
Waterford are in for Billy Woods according to todays Mirror.

They can have him.

you were saying in an earlier post that you EXPECTED us to win the league!

but you want to get rid of one of our best players?

razor
12/01/2005, 2:18 PM
you were saying in an earlier post that you EXPECTED us to win the league!

but you want to get rid of one of our best players?
John O'Flynn, Doyle, Kearney, George, Benno these are our better players, Billy is not among them.
Billy has never regained the form he showed in his first spell at City.
At most a good squad player.

Fair_play_boy
12/01/2005, 2:25 PM
Billy is a first teamer, one of the great City players, and a top class footballer. Letting him go to a team of thugs and hackers would be disgusting.

Billy deserves a league medal, he has a good chance of one here, so sign him up. I reckon he will sign, just doesn't need to for a while.

[Edit] Just saw the Echo. Billy says he is not going anywhere.
"I have yet to sign but I have no interest in leaving Cork City. I want to stay at the club," said the Midleton-based car salesman today

Excellent news.
Bi Billy, Bi Billy, Bi Billy, Billy Woods.....Yes!:DSpot on, Patsh.

kingcolers
12/01/2005, 3:21 PM
agreed but you need more than five players. i'd say woods is one of the better squad players (whenever i've seen him), the type of guy who might make a good contribution over the long haul. like he did versus pats at home this year when it looked like we'd never bury them. he was on eof the better players that night and scored a nice (if flukish) goal. if he can do that a few times during the season during tight games, then he's well worth keeping. getting rid of him wouldn't imrove our chances.

piratemousey
12/01/2005, 4:07 PM
dont forget Gamble.

thecorner
12/01/2005, 5:57 PM
hate to see woddsie go... came in last season and did a great job for us. probably wont be a first-teamer but great back-up to call upon

our players on the bench should be the same quality as those on the pitch if we are to push for the title

A face
12/01/2005, 7:27 PM
To say Billy hasn't been as good as his first spell is not right to be honest. Billy has had some brilliant spells this time around. Playing as a back or a winger, and not always getting his game. He has been shiffled around alright but for the most part, (bare in mind that it takes a few games for any player to adjust, that aint just down to Billy) he has be alright ..... anyway cant keep living in the past, he is in a totally different team now.

Éanna
12/01/2005, 7:33 PM
I'm not the biggest Billy Woods fan around, but he was excellent when he came in towards the end of the season. I don't think it would be a good idea to let him go unless we have an excellent replacement.

RedX
12/01/2005, 9:28 PM
Agree Eanna...i thought he had a very good 2nd half of the season but he was fairly poor leading up to it..most people on here seem to agree we need a new player for Woodsies midfield position as i do but i do think if we are to challenge for the league we should definetly keep him..we need competition for places no matter who comes in and if Billy was on the bench he would be a good player to bring on in many positions..

CollegeTillIDie
12/01/2005, 9:34 PM
Billy Woods is a very good player. Good players do not like collecting splinters in their backside sitting on the bench. If he cannot get regular first team football, at City he will be off in due course. Waterford United are a Premier Division club. Rennie and him were team mates at Shamrock Rovers for a while ,weren't they? and Blaaville is not that far from Midleton either.

RedX
12/01/2005, 10:08 PM
Billy Woods is a very good player. Good players do not like collecting splinters in their backside sitting on the bench. If he cannot get regular first team football, at City he will be off in due course. Waterford United are a Premier Division club. Rennie and him were team mates at Shamrock Rovers for a while ,weren't they? and Blaaville is not that far from Midleton either.

College...i agree in what you say that no good player wants to sit on the bench..but Billy is almost out of contract and i dont think even if he is offered a new one Dolan would turn around and tell him he is guarenteed a 1st team spot..he would be thrilled with a new contract and would stay and fight for his place..there is no one at City guarenteed a 1st team spot...

Also Rennie was not a team mate of of Woods at Rovers but a teamate of his at Cork City...this might sound arrogant to non-City fans but why any player would want to sign for Waterford rather than City must be nuts..take a good look around the RSC on matchday...then take a look around Turners X..no comparison...Waterford will once again at best be an average mid-table team..if Woods gets a contract he will get to travel and play in Europe..Setanta Cup..City of Culture cup and challenge for the league...absolutely no comparison...in fact there is no comparison to us and the rest of the league..we simply are the best club to play for... :D

SÓC
12/01/2005, 10:35 PM
Billy is the only outfield player we have who is 30 or over!

Our squad is amazingly young. Our team is build around a few players in their early 20's.
His experience, even just at training or around the club is vital to the younger players coming through.

suirsider
13/01/2005, 4:46 AM
As a 25 year fan of the blues i would love to have Billy play for us next season as I think he could do a great job for us and would get a good few games for us rather than getting a stiff arse on the city bench. I know we may not be able to give him european football but we are building a decent team down in sunny south east. I also know that the athmosphere at the x is superb when you compare it to the RSC but what can we do. All teams have their day and so Cork's day is today but with a population the size of Cork it is the least you should expect. I think our support is **** and sometimes wonder what people want or expect from our local clubs. To regular supporters of the Eircom League it is easy to go to a game but to the fella sitting next to you at work it is a hard explaining to him why you support City or the Blues or Limerick when they would be able to tell you what Ryan Giggs or Frank Lampard had for breakfast. We play in a ground that has less athmosphere than the moon but to the fans that go every week and know the buzz is ****e they still get get the same buzz that supporters get when we score or win a game . It's the same for all teams. AAt the moment Rennie is building a decent team down on Suirside and has made a good start to his career as a manager. I know you City boy's love to hate Rennie (as do hoops fans)thats football but if he came back to Cork tomorrow he would be greeted like a long lost son. I would be a liar if i said best of luck in our Munster derby's next season .These are the games I really like to win not because you are a good team (which I think you are) but becaue thats what local derby's are all about. Either way I hope to be in the x when European football comes around again shouting for city (wishing it was the Blues). Our day will come again soon. We might even get a new stadium. Good luck for the season.(There is football beyond the pale. Two teams in Munster..........PS. Wake up now I'm finished :)

razor
13/01/2005, 7:49 AM
agreed but you need more than five players.
Of course, I was just stating that Billy was not amongst our best players.
I said nothing about the size of the squad.

i'd say woods is one of the better squad players
In fact this is what I said.

To say Billy hasn't been as good as his first spell is not right to be honest.
I disagree, in his 1st spell he was by far the best winger in the country by a mile who scored some spectacular goals and earned himself a move cross channel. I'll never forget that goal in Oriel Park what a goal, what a celebration.

jimhacker
13/01/2005, 8:18 AM
As a 25 year fan of the blues i would love to have Billy play for us next season as I think he could do a great job for us and would get a good few games for us rather than getting a stiff arse on the city bench. I know we may not be able to give him european football but we are building a decent team down in sunny south east. I also know that the athmosphere at the x is superb when you compare it to the RSC but what can we do. All teams have their day and so Cork's day is today but with a population the size of Cork it is the least you should expect. I think our support is **** and sometimes wonder what people want or expect from our local clubs. To regular supporters of the Eircom League it is easy to go to a game but to the fella sitting next to you at work it is a hard explaining to him why you support City or the Blues or Limerick when they would be able to tell you what Ryan Giggs or Frank Lampard had for breakfast. We play in a ground that has less athmosphere than the moon but to the fans that go every week and know the buzz is ****e they still get get the same buzz that supporters get when we score or win a game . It's the same for all teams. AAt the moment Rennie is building a decent team down on Suirside and has made a good start to his career as a manager. I know you City boy's love to hate Rennie (as do hoops fans)thats football but if he came back to Cork tomorrow he would be greeted like a long lost son. I would be a liar if i said best of luck in our Munster derby's next season .These are the games I really like to win not because you are a good team (which I think you are) but becaue thats what local derby's are all about. Either way I hope to be in the x when European football comes around again shouting for city (wishing it was the Blues). Our day will come again soon. We might even get a new stadium. Good luck for the season.(There is football beyond the pale. Two teams in Munster..........PS. Wake up now I'm finished :)

Good Post!

jimhacker
13/01/2005, 8:24 AM
Billy is the only outfield player we have who is 30 or over!

Our squad is amazingly young. Our team is build around a few players in their early 20's.
His experience, even just at training or around the club is vital to the younger players coming through.

C.T. will be delighted to read this!

SÓC
13/01/2005, 5:07 PM

He's 28/29 no?

A face
13/01/2005, 9:24 PM

C.T. will be delighted to read that !! :eek: :D