PDA

View Full Version : Irish deaflympics team into semi-finals

Roo69
12/01/2005, 11:27 AM
The Irish Deaflympics team staged a remarkable late comeback to beat 2001 World Champions, Italy, in the football quarter-finals of the Deaflympics in Melbourne this morning.

Ireland came from behind and scored two goals in the last 14 minutes to earn a semi-final place against Iran in the Olympic Stadium at 6pm local time on Thursday.

Germany will play Great Britain, who topped Ireland’s Group, in the other semi final at 8pm on the same evening.

Full details on www.irelanddeaf.com

Congrats to all involved for getting this far ! :)

eoinh
12/01/2005, 11:28 AM
THATS GREAT NEWS!

KR's Post
12/01/2005, 12:11 PM
The Irish Deaflympics team staged a remarkable late comeback to beat 2001 World Champions, Italy, in the football quarter-finals of the Deaflympics in Melbourne this morning.

Ireland came from behind and scored two goals in the last 14 minutes to earn a semi-final place against Iran in the Olympic Stadium at 6pm local time on Thursday.

Germany will play Great Britain, who topped Ireland’s Group, in the other semi final at 8pm on the same evening.

Full details on www.irelanddeaf.com

Congrats to all involved for getting this far ! :)
So i heard,thats fantastic news. Good luck to them....

Risteard
12/01/2005, 12:12 PM
Brilliant.
Never heard of this team/games before.
Fair play.
I'm sure those jerseys aren't FAI jerseys either.
We could be on to a winner here.

lopez
12/01/2005, 9:10 PM
I've heard of this competition since 1989 (then called the World Deaf Games). Ireland came second in football that year to Britain in New Zealand. The captain of that team was a bloke called Niall Fearon who worked in the city in London. The team then was an all-Ireland (and cross community) side - might still be - with Niall himself from Fermanagh. He used to come to the RISSC meetings in London as we used to do a bit of fundraising for them, bringing along once another member of the team living in Britain who was a Protestant from the 6C. Niall also later became a member although I haven't seen him for years.

tricky_colour
13/01/2005, 1:15 AM
I would not have though being deaf would be that much of a handicap
for a footballer, although I don't know of any professional players who are actually deaf.

Obviously being blind would be more of a problem, unless of course you're
a referee.

Kingdom
13/01/2005, 1:17 AM
Brilliant.
Never heard of this team/games before.

I'm not sure many of the players heard either. :)

Hibs4Ever
13/01/2005, 11:07 AM
Lost 3-2 to Iran in semi's today

We were 2-0 up at half time too.

seagulls4ever
13/01/2005, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure many of the players heard either. :)

hahahhahaha

genuine questions though. how does the ref control the match? is there a bright light used rather than a whistle? or does play continue til the ref can catch the player in possession? is home advantage negated because the fan's cheers/boos are not a factor? does the coach give a half time pep-letter?

Poorly McGrorry
13/01/2005, 7:46 PM
Lost 3-2 to Iran in semi's today

We were 2-0 up at half time too.

Shame really....had the same scoreline occurred in the WC 2002 playoff we would have been spared of the saipan saga! :D

liam88
14/01/2005, 9:12 AM
Fiar play to the lads getting so far :D

eoinh
14/01/2005, 5:41 PM
SO NEAR YET SO FAR. THE USUAL STORY I'M AFRAID.

SÓC
14/01/2005, 6:34 PM
I remember watching the soccer show one night and they had a profile on it. Joe Watson, (one of the best players in the world on the deaf scene) had player with Waterford United in the Eircom League at one stage