PDA

View Full Version : Tallaght Stadium Repossessed

monutdfc
12/01/2005, 8:49 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0112/shamrockrovers.html

pete
12/01/2005, 8:52 AM
Is Tallaght in the City Council area? Wuild have thought that was South Dublin?

Big story if true. Be interesting to see what transpires from it. If City Council running it then be hard to complain about being multi-use for other sports.

Wonder if City Council will get planning permission themselves for commercial units...

Risteard
12/01/2005, 8:53 AM
What does repossess mean here?
Rovers are gonna be renting from the council?

monutdfc
12/01/2005, 9:02 AM
Someone edited my thread title making it sound more dramatic than it appears to be. I deliberately omitted the word "repossessed" from the thread title. 'Repossessed' has bad conotations whereas this sounds like it is actually good news for Rovers.
The model for a lot of clubs, especially on the continent, is that the local council owns the ground and the club(s) rent from them. Rovers are in the business of running a football club, not the business of being property developers. Like the airline industry, where the planes are generally owned by banks and finance house and the airlines lease the planes, because they are in the business of operating an airline not owning planes.

drummerboy
12/01/2005, 9:31 AM
The Dublin GAA board have expressed an interest in obtaining the site in which Rovers have been trying to develop. Seeming the Co Council have cancelled any contracts they have had with Rovers. What next?

Clones Road Cas
12/01/2005, 9:43 AM
Imagine the irony of a ground sharing arrangement. I seem to remember the GAA getting their knickers in a twist about sharing a ground with RDS fir a charity match a few years back. Any hoops fans recall that debacle.

CRC

monutdfc
12/01/2005, 9:52 AM
A bit off-topic, but didn't the GAA do a similar vulture act on Flower Lodge aka Christy Ring Park when the Muinster FA got into financial difficulty. Or was it soemthing to do with the MFA not getting planning permission to develop it but the GAA did at a later date? Any corkies know the story?

pete
12/01/2005, 10:10 AM
Someone edited my thread title making it sound more dramatic than it appears to be. I deliberately omitted the word "repossessed" from the thread title. 'Repossessed' has bad conotations whereas this sounds like it is actually good news for Rovers.

I edited thread but forgot to leave note. doh! <slaps wrists>
Theres a lot of Tallaght threads doing the rounds so just wanted to make it stand out. If can think of better word than Repossessed i;m open to suggestions...

Whether dramatic or not i think its a big story as doubt many people saw this coming.

gspain
12/01/2005, 10:15 AM
A bit off-topic, but didn't the GAA do a similar vulture act on Flower Lodge aka Christy Ring Park when the Muinster FA got into financial difficulty. Or was it soemthing to do with the MFA not getting planning permission to develop it but the GAA did at a later date? Any corkies know the story?

Flower Lodge was owned by the AOH but paid for by the Cork footballing public.

5 trustees of the AOH each pocketed £50,000 from the sale.

There appeaed to be no will there to sell it to Cork City who at least matched the GAA's offer.

Re Tallaght, i heard it was Thomas Davis GAA club as opposed to a dublin county board that tried to buy the site on the cheap.

No problem with a multi purpose venue but it should not be lost to football.

Another off the wall idea would be for Shels to buy it or share it. Tallaght has a bigger population than Limerick and would be mainly football (albeit premiership and Celtic) so huge potential there.

jimhacker
12/01/2005, 11:08 AM
Flower Lodge was a different story in that it was a long established football venue whereas a ball has yet to be kicked at Tallaght so there is no tradition or anything

Neish
12/01/2005, 11:22 AM
Aye read that on Aertel this morning.
If its true I think the GAA have some cheek to get there knickers in a twist over sharing Croke Park etc with Soccer, and then put in such a bit on a half finished soccer stadium so they wouldn't have to build their own

soccerc
12/01/2005, 11:34 AM
Somewhat of an erroneous report.

Firstly, the land has not been reposessed YET, and what is under consideration is the lease being revoked.

Secondly, it is not Dublin City Council but South Dublin County Council who granted the lease for the benefit of Rovers to a company called Mulden International.

patsh
12/01/2005, 11:39 AM
Flower Lodge was owned by the AOH but paid for by the Cork footballing public.

5 trustees of the AOH each pocketed £50,000 from the sale.

There appeaed to be no will there to sell it to Cork City who at least matched the GAA's offer.
GAA offered £10,000 more. A paltry sum, that could have been easily made up.
Hibs and their ground were royally f*cked over by the people in charge....:mad:

Slash/ED
12/01/2005, 11:54 AM
Todays indo...

GAA express interest in Rovers' Tallaght stadium

Wednesday January 12th 2005

THE Dublin County Board of the GAA has expressed an interest in the controversial Shamrock Rovers stadium.

The Tallaght stadium saga took another twist this week when it emerged that South Dublin County Council had stepped in to help Rovers complete the construction of the stadium by repossessing the land at the site and leases from the two companies involved.

No work has taken place on the partially built stadium for the last three years and last October the Council refused an application for a further extension of the 1998 planning permission.

After taking legal advice the Council, which provided the site initially, decided that in the best interests of the club and the public the land should be repossessed.

At this week's Council meeting, deputy manager Tom Doherty said their ultimate objective is to ensure that Rovers get their own stadium built at the site.

Dublin County Board has watched this development with interest and chief executive John Costello admitted yesterday that they would be keen on rekindling an interest on the strategically located stadium.

"Now that different terms will be in place we would be interested in talking to the council," said Costello who also welcomed Doherty's comment about discussions with interested parties.

The County Board and Rovers met in the past to discuss ground-sharing, but the idea was shelved.

Now that the Council has stepped in again Dublin County Board feels an opportunity may present itself.

Last night, Rovers chairman Tony Maguire said that the club would also be seeking a meeting with the Council. Rovers have an investor willing to finance the completion of the stadium.

"We want to know what the methodology and timescales are and then work with them and our investor to finish the job," said Maguire.

Rovers have a guarantee from Drogheda United that they can use United Park for their home games this season, but they are still looking for a Dublin venue.

It had been speculated that Bohemians may allow them to play at Dalymount Park as part of a possible transfer deal for midfielder Mark O'Brien who is out of contract at Rovers.

Bohs would have to pay compensation for the midfielder as he is still under 23, but Rovers have offered O'Brien a new deal and are confident he will accept it.

Colm Keys and
Gerry McDermott

© http://www.unison.ie/

The GAA sniffing around can't possibley be good news for Rovers. Is there any gaurentee now that if the ground is finished Rovers will even be let play in it?

Bluebeard
12/01/2005, 12:20 PM
Imagine the irony of a ground sharing arrangement. I seem to remember the GAA getting their knickers in a twist about sharing a ground with RDS fir a charity match a few years back. Any hoops fans recall that debacle.

CRC

NOT a Hoops fan, but I seem to recall there was talk when they moved into the RDS first that there was hopes to have a double header of the Hoops Vs Bohs league match and a Dubs Vs Somebody Challenge or League Gaelic Football match. As far as I recall the county players were on for it, but the county board was up in arms (though that might have been the cost of the tetanus shots as well as the standard bigotry)

Any confirmation on that from our learned Tallaght-bound colleagues?

gspain
12/01/2005, 12:40 PM
NOT a Hoops fan, but I seem to recall there was talk when they moved into the RDS first that there was hopes to have a double header of the Hoops Vs Bohs league match and a Dubs Vs Somebody Challenge or League Gaelic Football match. As far as I recall the county players were on for it, but the county board was up in arms (though that might have been the cost of the tetanus shots as well as the standard bigotry)

Any confirmation on that from our learned Tallaght-bound colleagues?

Game was Dublin v Down then All Ireland champions at the RDS in conjunction with a Rovers v Bohs football match.

In fairness the Dublin county board sanctioned it and approved it. It was one particular evil sectarian bigot but very powerrful man who scuppered this as he couldnb't bear to see a foreign game ran in conjunction with their game even for charity. He is from NI and forced/persuaded Down to withdraw.

Dublin GAA in fairness are probably the most liberal of all gaa county boards although the term is of course relative.

Risteard
12/01/2005, 12:44 PM
It was one particular evil sectarian bigot but very powerrful man who scuppered this as he couldnb't bear to see a foreign game ran in conjunction with their game even for charity.
Who's that?
Should be no problem naming him if your claim is accurate.

paudie
12/01/2005, 12:47 PM
Todays indo...

The GAA sniffing around can't possibley be good news for Rovers. Is there any gaurentee now that if the ground is finished Rovers will even be let play in it?

Agree with you. If the GAA come up with a reasonable proposal to finish the stadium( I presume that wouldn't be too much trouble to them) and Rovers can't, the county council could have a hard decision to make.

After all Rovers have been pretty incompetent reagrding their dealings with the stadium so far so the Council could say "Ye had ye're chance and ye blew it"

Of course the pitch at present mightn't be long enough for GAA but that could be changed.

Slash/ED
12/01/2005, 5:18 PM
Yeah, if the pitch was a problem I doub the GAA would even be sniffing around so obviously they think they can solve that, and I really can't see why, if the GAA do put a good offer in, Rovers can't be taken out of the picture altogether. It's very worryng I think, while it could work out superbly for them they could lose everything and if they are just removed from the Tallaght equation it's hard to see where they go from there.

Maynard
12/01/2005, 7:32 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Rovers have to bargin with here. I can't imagine that anyone dealing with planning in Dublin would be too keen on setting a precedent that allows someone to make a half-assed effort at building something and then in time be rewarded with the lease for said land fully built. :confused:
If so then myself and a few mates will start digging a hole somewhere in Dublin, throw a bag of cement down it and hopefully by 2012 it'll have become Dublin City's new 10,000 seater stadium/camogie blitz centre.

Superhoops
12/01/2005, 7:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspain
It was one particular evil sectarian bigot but very powerrful man who scuppered this as he couldnb't bear to see a foreign game ran in conjunction with their game even for charity.

Who's that?
Should be no problem naming him if your claim is accurate.
Try Fermanagh's finest - Peter Quinn!

fitzknows
12/01/2005, 9:24 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Rovers have to bargin with here. I can't imagine that anyone dealing with planning in Dublin would be too keen on setting a precedent that allows someone to make a half-assed effort at building something and then in time be rewarded with the lease for said land fully built. :confused:
If so then myself and a few mates will start digging a hole somewhere in Dublin, throw a bag of cement down it and hopefully by 2012 it'll have become Dublin City's new 10,000 seater stadium/camogie blitz centre.

Another scenario would be for Dublin City to apply to South Dublin Co. Co. to play in the Tallaght ground. If they could offer something concrete to the council, I dont see how the coucil couldnt take it on board. Wouldnt roddy be smiling then :D

CollegeTillIDie
12/01/2005, 9:30 PM
Another scenario would be for Dublin City to apply to South Dublin Co. Co. to play in the Tallaght ground. If they could offer something concrete to the council, I dont see how the coucil couldnt take it on board. Wouldnt roddy be smiling then :D

Fitz

You couldn't have Dublin City playing in the country... cop yourself on ! :D

Passive
14/01/2005, 2:03 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Rovers have to bargin with here.

The answer is this: abso****inlutely nothing.
SRFC are relying 100% on the goodwill of the elected representatives of Tallaght. That is a damning indictment of how our club has been run since 1996.