PDA

View Full Version : Grunter's post match reaction

Ruairi
21/01/2002, 12:25 PM
I got a few words with Grunter and some of the lads after the match yesterday. It'll be broadcast on CCR 97.4FM tomorrow at 5. Here's the jist of what they said...

Grunter didn't say much, he said that some players just "weren't up for it" (he looked over at Ollie and Mickey Devine when he said that) and that next week he'd make changes. I was talking to Brian Lennox too, he said that the team were "jaded", that the league "was gone" and that all the can do is "build for the future". When I asked him what can be done short term he said "very little, there's not enough left in the season". He looked incredibly ****ed off as well. John Caulfield brilliantly replied "Today???" when I asked him what went wrong (sounded like he had somethin to hide...) and Glen Crowe didn't answer my questions at all (me: you took your two goals very well... GC: We played very well as a team....) Mickey devine huffed and puffed (I think I understood "What can I say?") and Anthony Buckley just looked bemused by the whole thing. Pat Morley was fairly frank, saying "we just didn't put it in" and that the lads were "f**kin disappointed inside [the dressing room]". And that was it really. Oh yeah, Hilly said somethin to me too but I can't really remember what he said.

Remember, you can catch all that on Poc Off, 5 o'clock on CCR 97.4

Éanna
21/01/2002, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
John Caulfield brilliantly replied "Today???" when I asked him what went wrong (sounded like he had somethin to hide...)
i'm saying nothing......................................

Peadar
21/01/2002, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

i'm saying nothing......................................

If only it were true!

I'm amazed that Ruairi didn't interview you after the game.
Or perhaps you'd already started your silent campaign at that stage and were unavailable for comment.

Troy.McClure
21/01/2002, 2:12 PM
Im sure that Murphy wasnt implying that our 2 best players on the day (Ollie & Devine) were to blame.
Its a shame that some people booed Hilly during the match, nothing was said to him last year and it was good of him to sit with us V $hels in Tolka. :(

pete
21/01/2002, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Its a shame that some people booed Hilly during the match, nothing was said to him last year and it was good of him to sit with us V $hels in Tolka. :(

I think Hilly has been in the game long enough to know theres nothing much in it. Sure didn't he give a wave or something tot he shed b4 the game?

Neil
21/01/2002, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
John Caulfield brilliantly replied "Today???" when I asked him what went wrong (sounded like he had somethin to hide...)
He's probably eye-balling the manager's job for next season. It's Patsy's turn next but Caulfield could nip him to post. After them it's Deccie, then Biscuits, then Noel O'Mahoney once again, then Ollie Cahill!

Éanna
21/01/2002, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

Or perhaps you'd already started your silent campaign
maybe you could do the same if you're not going to talk about the issue peadar, if you want to bitch about my opinions, PM me or e-mail me.

Éanna
21/01/2002, 8:37 PM
Originally posted by pete
I think Hilly has been in the game long enough to know theres nothing much in it. Sure didn't he give a wave or something tot he shed b4 the game?
yeah, i think he acknowledged us alright. in fairness to hilly, he still loves city and most of us still have a lot of time for him. you'll always get a few idiots roaring judas or something.

James
21/01/2002, 10:10 PM
what a pityful, heartless display
3000 miles to watch that chit

:mad:

A face
22/01/2002, 11:13 AM
James ... you must be gutted, what a chit game to see.

Sheeze, think of it though, ..... Is James to blame for this, Did James jinx us yesterday, Has James ruined our hopes and chances for the title this year.

A face
22/01/2002, 11:16 AM
There was meant to be a few :D :D in there as well !!

I mean i dont really think James jixed us, it is purely a coincidence !! i swear :D

P.S ... i'll get them scanned tonight James.

James
22/01/2002, 12:48 PM
cheers face nice one, you missed out on an interesting night in redz after.. :confused:

personally i think the Glen Crowe centrefold is the jinx and them fanzine boys should seriously reconsider printing it again

Éanna
22/01/2002, 5:36 PM
maybe it's gunther is the bloody jinx. we've hardly played well at all any time he's been around for the last 2 seasons.

rebel yell
22/01/2002, 10:00 PM
Is it true that he looked like he had swallowed a pretzel, after the game? :D

A face
22/01/2002, 11:11 PM
or Humbled pie.

patsh
23/01/2002, 11:09 AM
This is probably a bizarre suggestion on the face of it, but what about trying to get Denis Irwin back here ? Has anybody ever floated the idea at supporter, board or player level?...... :rolleyes:

pete
23/01/2002, 11:24 AM
One of the best things to happen in recent seasoins i think has been the end to importing old has been pros from england. The average age of eL teams is way down & most managers are home grown.

I don't particularily think Denis Irwin coming back would be the greatest decision ever & like many footballers who moved abroad in their teens their connect to irish football would be slim enough.

We need to build for the future & not look to the past.

Gary
23/01/2002, 12:58 PM
I must apologise to anyone who knows me for this next comment. I dunno whats wrong with me. Too much of the bad stuff i spose.

Sundays performance was pitiful, BUT at least for the first time this season, LM had the presence of mind to haul off NH. City then had a fairly good side out on the pitch. Some may argue it was Citys strongest XI.

If the players dont perform, the manager can do nowt about it, as Mounty found out to his detrimant.

Are the players doing the same again, or is it that we have just become so damn predictable that every team knows exactly what we are going to do??

Murphy out (still) by the way!

pete
23/01/2002, 1:37 PM
Will save you from ridicule on the turnarpund.

Originally posted by GWA
Are the players doing the same again, or is it that we have just become so damn predictable that every team knows exactly what we are going to do?

Yes.

Troy.McClure
23/01/2002, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
This is probably a bizarre suggestion on the face of it, but what about trying to get Denis Irwin back here ? Has anybody ever floated the idea at supporter, board or player level?...... :rolleyes:

I think that Denis has said about two things for definite about his future

1) He is not going to ba a manager

2) He is going to stay in England. His wife & kids have lived there all of their lives so it would be strange to move over here, especially for them.

patsh
23/01/2002, 2:51 PM
Well Denis is a non-runner, but seriously, who do people think would be a good manager? Would the preference be for a former player, eL or LoI, a local manager coming from the ranks of junior soccer or what? Are there many choices out there, or do we go for Patsy Freyne/ John Caulfied / Pat Morley?? Will the City board dump Murphy at the end of the season? Should they?
On the face of it, 4th in the league and still in with a chance of winning the League cup may not seem to be too bad a situation to some of the BoredRoom Boys ! I think getting somebody, anybody who can put the ball in the net is a more urgent priority....... :(

Troy.McClure
23/01/2002, 4:03 PM
I have a feeling that Murphy will be gone , by his own will or otherwise by the start of the 2004/05 season. He has said often enough that he is more or less a stopgap there to steady things until a more appropriate person becomes available and that he doesnt want the job on a long term basis. He didnt say that in so mant words so dont go looking for a quote, and these are only my own interpretations of some of his (mainly early) interviews so there's no inside info. Therefore Gunther Out boys, ye have 2 & 1/3 full seasons left to suffer ;)

Éanna
23/01/2002, 5:49 PM
I have a feeling murphy will go sooner. and i'd bet on another of the old boys (probably caulfield) being his successor.

A face
23/01/2002, 9:02 PM
but Éanna ... that definitely sounds like "inside information" .... have a secret source you are not telling us about ... have you been holding out on us !! :D :D

Éanna
23/01/2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by A face
but Éanna ... that definitely sounds like "inside information" .... have a secret source you are not telling us about ... have you been holding out on us !! :D :D

NOT AGAIN! :D

niamh
24/01/2002, 1:51 PM
Denis isn't exactly playing at the moment, or indeed playing well at the moment anyway...