Drogheda 1 - 0 Athlone

Shelbourne 0 - 1 Cabinteely

UC Dublin 0 - 2 Waterford

joey B
18/03/2016, 8:15 PM
1-0 Cork Seanie Maguire!

joey B
18/03/2016, 8:40 PM
Some game in Dalymount! And some comeback by Derry beating Galway 2-1!!

patrickccfc
18/03/2016, 8:46 PM
Brilliant result for us up in oriel :cool: great to get that monkey off our back too

kksaints
18/03/2016, 9:02 PM
Great win for us! No unbeaten team in the premier division this season.

Lim till i die
18/03/2016, 9:03 PM
Top of the league with a game in hand after 2 games :D

Nesta99
18/03/2016, 9:15 PM
Brilliant result for us up in oriel :cool: great to get that monkey off our back too

With risk of sounding like sour grapes, it was a lucky win for Cork. But better to win lucky than to lose after dominating a game. Soft penalty, weak ref and Cork really kicked anything that moved. No matter, better now than at the business end of the season.

White Horse
18/03/2016, 9:29 PM
With risk of sounding like sour grapes, it was a lucky win for Cork. But better to win lucky than to lose after dominating a game. Soft penalty, weak ref and Cork really kicked anything that moved. No matter, better now than at the business end of the season.

I wasn't too gutted after that. It's never nice to lose but I saw nothing in Cork that would worry me over a season.

Over 33 games, I'd be very confident of finishing ahead of them.

Nesta99
18/03/2016, 9:41 PM
I tend to agree but Cork will improve beyond this round of games too. Caulfield's cautious approach will hold them back again.

micls
18/03/2016, 10:40 PM
I wasn't too gutted after that. It's never nice to lose but I saw nothing in Cork that would worry me.

That's interesting, it's the same reaction our fans have. Towell less Dundalk seem very beatable. The psychological boost for our lads of finally beating you in the league and particularly in oriel is huge for us I think, regardless of the nature of the win. It's going to be an interesting season!

Pablo Escobar
18/03/2016, 10:48 PM
That's interesting, it's the same reaction our fans have. Towell less Dundalk seem very beatable. The psychological boost for our lads of finally beating you in the league and particularly in oriel is huge for us I think, regardless of the nature of the win. It's going to be an interesting season!
Tonight was the first time I believed we could beat them. We bullied them in the Presidents Cup game and apparently we didn't get pushed around tonight. The fear factor has certainly gone now. There's a long long way to go, but there's cause for optimism.

disgruntled
18/03/2016, 10:56 PM
I think people would also need to take note of the amount of new players Cork have in their side.
Seven players that didn't appear in the Cup Final last season were in the side against Dundalk tonight.
As the season goes on they will gel & get a much better understanding of each others play.

In the past couple of seasons Cork would have rolled over against Dundalk but not anymore.
I think in the two games so far this season between the sides Dundalk have realized that things have changed.

Now don't get me wrong, Dundalk are a very good side & probably one of the best we have seen in the League for a number of years but City have added a lot of quality to their squad & things will be much closer this season with several sides challenging for trophies.

Dodge
18/03/2016, 10:57 PM
Pats had 2 chances tonight and took both well with Fagan's header superb

Rovers had more of the ball but not a single chance all game. They were very poor

jinxy lilywhite
18/03/2016, 11:01 PM
The referee was poor and the main difference tonight.

Dundalk should of had 2 penos in the first and there were a litany of wreckeless challenges from cork that should of been yellow in the 1st 10 minutes. O'Donnell got a silly yellow after a half hour and that took our impeutus away. Pretty poor form from caulfield crying to the ref that every foul involving o'donnell subsequently should be an automatic red then gesturing that every dundalk free was a dive.

The cork peno was soft. I am probably being bias but from my pov I couldn't see how massey could of moved his arm away.

There was nothing I saw in cork that would suggest they are miles ahead of us. Going to be a good tight season.

Apart from the result I enjoyed the match. Very tense and tight game. Battles all over the pitch. Quite suprised both sides finished with 11

disgruntled
18/03/2016, 11:18 PM
The referee was poor and the main difference tonight.

Dundalk should of had 2 penos in the first and there were a litany of wreckeless challenges from cork that should of been yellow in the 1st 10 minutes. O'Donnell got a silly yellow after a half hour and that took our impeutus away. Pretty poor form from caulfield crying to the ref that every foul involving o'donnell subsequently should be an automatic red then gesturing that every dundalk free was a dive.

The cork peno was soft. I am probably being bias but from my pov I couldn't see how massey could of moved his arm away.

There was nothing I saw in cork that would suggest they are miles ahead of us. Going to be a good tight season.

Apart from the result I enjoyed the match. Very tense and tight game. Battles all over the pitch. Quite suprised both sides finished with 11

I understand that you are not used to losing but the bit in bold is a bit rich after watching Kenny's antics in Cork during the Presidents Cup Final when he spent the entire game chasing the officials & even after the final whistle he was badgering the referee.
As for O'Donnell the less said about him the better. a player who is well able to put himself around & who should have got several yellow cards during the game in Cork. How he stayed on the pitch that day only the referee knows.
Defeat comes to all of us & its not nice to lose to one of your rivals but the Dundalk players & manager Kenny need to show a bit of dignity when it happens to them.
Its going to be a good tight season with no quarter given or asked for & the eventual winners will know they've been in a battle.

micls
18/03/2016, 11:19 PM
There was nothing I saw in cork that would suggest they are miles ahead of us.

Because we're not.....We're playing catch up, but for a start of a season, it seems like we're doing a better job of it than previously. Hence the optimism. There's no question of can we run away with the league or anything, but this gives people hope that we can actually really challenge this year.

geysir
18/03/2016, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't begrudge Cork winning the game, soft penalty or not, Dundalk did nothing to deserve to win it, therefore there's no counter argument. But that was an awful spectacle of football, a dreadful game altogether.

joey B
18/03/2016, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't begrudge Cork winning the game, soft penalty or not, Dundalk did nothing to deserve to win it, therefore there's no counter argument. But that was an awful spectacle of football, a dreadful game altogether.

Seems to be a huge dearth of quality in the whole league this season.

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2016, 12:03 AM
Pats had 2 chances tonight and took both well with Fagan's header superb

Rovers had more of the ball but not a single chance all game. They were very poor
Playing four strikers and no wingers was just plain weird. They don't complement each other at all and Pats found it way too easy to defend. Same old story with us, we'll kick the ball across the pitch all day but any decent defence can deal with us unless Miele does something spectacular.

Pats were very poor too I thought. Rovers were there to be got at and Pats were settling for a 0-0 before Dennehy scored. If we'd scored first (unlikely I know) I don't think Pats would have got back into it.

micls
19/03/2016, 12:19 AM
Seems to be a huge dearth of quality in the whole league this season.

We're 4 games in, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Our team certainly has more talent in it than it did last year, obviously how they end up working as a team is still to be seen, but there's a lot of new players in teams and it takes time to get to peak performance.

Apparently, that was our first win in Oriel since 2009, that's a pretty shocking stat!

Jofspring
19/03/2016, 12:27 AM
It may be early in the season but the league does seem to be a bit weaker this year. It may take a season or two of new talent coming through to pick it back up again.

The first division based on the two teams we have seen so far is far weaker than it ever was. Even 5 years ago the division was far superior to what it is now.

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2016, 12:36 AM
It may be early in the season but the league does seem to be a bit weaker this year. It may take a season or two of new talent coming through to pick it back up again.

The first division based on the two teams we have seen so far is far weaker than it ever was. Even 5 years ago the division was far superior to what it is now.
Well the league was hardly going to improve having lost the likes of Towell, Forrester and Fahey in the space of a few months. Plus your team took some of the Premier players away.

Lim till i die
19/03/2016, 1:15 AM
There's an obvious solution.

From next week First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC should be asked to field two teams. Our current first team could slot into the Premier Division and our u 17s could mop up whatever is left in division one, St James Gate and shelbourne and the like.

Improved standard in the Premier and a (slightly) more competitive First Division.

Win Win.

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2016, 2:14 AM
Our current first team could slot into the Premier Division
Aha! Fool me once. You tried that last year.

placid casual
19/03/2016, 6:33 AM
Rovers are the same as last year. All passing and no killer instinct. And no discernible leaders in the team either.

As for pats,they should wrap fagan in cotton wool, as without him they'd be relegation candidates.

osarusan
19/03/2016, 7:11 AM
Has Dean Clarke played for Rovers yet?

White Horse
19/03/2016, 8:57 AM

Dundalk controlled the game up until the penalty. I was surprised at how comfortable we were all over the pitch. Cork asked a lot more questions of us when they visited Oriel Park last season.

On the basis of last night, Cork have not improved. However, we don't seem to be able to dominate midfield. Our whole gameplay is predicated on having good possession of the ball.

Dodge
19/03/2016, 9:02 AM
Started the first game or 2 but got injured. Came on as sub last night and did more in 15 minutes than Drennan did for the 75 mins before that

patrickccfc
19/03/2016, 9:19 AM
On the basis of last night, Cork have not improved.

Maybe, but it beats the hell out of getting blitzed 4-0 up there. Nobody's getting carried away but being able to go up there and grind out a victory can only be a good sign. Means nothing at this stage if only just an injection of confidence. Pity the rovers game was postponed, would've got a decent crowd

Jofspring
19/03/2016, 10:07 AM
Well the league was hardly going to improve having lost the likes of Towell, Forrester and Fahey in the space of a few months. Plus your team took some of the Premier players away.

Ya I agree, that's one of the reasons I think it's weaker.

White Horse
19/03/2016, 10:24 AM
Maybe, but it beats the hell out of getting blitzed 4-0 up there. Nobody's getting carried away but being able to go up there and grind out a victory can only be a good sign. Means nothing at this stage if only just an injection of confidence. Pity the rovers game was postponed, would've got a decent crowd

It was a good result for Cork and there were some really good performances. I thought Dooley was excellent at nullifying Gannon and Mountney. Bennett had Kilduff in his pocket and Beatie looked sharp.

pineapple stu
19/03/2016, 10:34 AM
Limerick fans will chuckle at this, but Waterford looked a decent enough outfit last night.

Main difference was they took their chances while we didn't take ours.

Swanny badly needs a goal or two to get back to last season's form.

Dalymountrower
19/03/2016, 10:36 AM
Credit to Wexford last night, very comfortable on the ball, tore us apart a few times in the first half.It's a pity they didn't bring a crowd with them to appreciate it
Two dodgy penos ,a push on Delaney for third goal, Ref did his best to ruin an entertaining game
At this point the foolishness of playing non tackling players like Paddy Kavanagh, Quiet and Curtis Byrne on the one team must be self evident, even for Keith Long
Wexford a better football side than Sligo, should be safe once they get a win under their belts.

White Horse
19/03/2016, 10:39 AM
The one positive from last nights game is that this is first time in 6 seasons that Cork have come to Oriel Park and not complained about the pitch. Not a peep about it.

Well done to the grounds staff.

Dalymountrower
19/03/2016, 10:39 AM
Quigley.

CityRebel
19/03/2016, 10:41 AM
The one positive from last nights game is that this is first time in 6 seasons that Cork have come to Oriel Park and not complained about the pitch. Not a peep about it.

Well done to the grounds staff.

The pitch is still ****e. Get a real one ffs.

oriel
19/03/2016, 10:46 AM
It was clear game of two penalties, one given for a hand ball by Massey who couldn't get his hand out quick enough then, one not given when Bennett threw Kilduff to the ground. Dundalk were awful in the second half and Cork defended very well, their back line was very well set up.

We probably deserved a draw, better side in the first half, but that counts for nothing if you can't score.

First defeat in the league to Cork in 10 matches, something had to give eventually and no coincidence this happened in the first league game between the two post Towell.

Ezeikial
19/03/2016, 10:48 AM
The pitch is still ****e. Get a real one ffs.

Says the stay-at-home non-travelling CityRebel

Ezeikial
19/03/2016, 10:50 AM
Curtis Byrne on the one team must be self evident,

Don't pi$$ him off or he will sulk - its Kurtis with a K

disgruntled
19/03/2016, 11:34 AM
Aha! Fool me once. You tried that last year.

It didn't work last year either :)

FallenSaint
19/03/2016, 12:06 PM
Playing four strikers and no wingers was just plain weird. They don't complement each other at all and Pats found it way too easy to defend. Same old story with us, we'll kick the ball across the pitch all day but any decent defence can deal with us unless Miele does something spectacular.

Pats were very poor too I thought. Rovers were there to be got at and Pats were settling for a 0-0 before Dennehy scored. If we'd scored first (unlikely I know) I don't think Pats would have got back into it.

Think both teams were looking happy to keep it scoreless. No pressure on defenders with the ball and nowhere to play balls into a very packed midfield.
It wasn't a surprise the opener came from a set-piece. Fagan was immense but I thought Billy Denners legs were gone after an hour.

On another note, did Rovers' fans fire a flare gun across at us? One hit the roof of their own stand. We couldn't agree whether it was just stupidity or malicious.

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2016, 4:25 PM
Think both teams were looking happy to keep it scoreless. No pressure on defenders with the ball and nowhere to play balls into a very packed midfield.
It wasn't a surprise the opener came from a set-piece. Fagan was immense but I thought Billy Denners legs were gone after an hour.

On another note, did Rovers' fans fire a flare gun across at us? One hit the roof of their own stand. We couldn't agree whether it was just stupidity or malicious.
Rovers weren't playing for a draw - we played almost the entire game in your third of the pitch. Pats just parked the bus.

Somebody had some fireworks I think. Was hard to see.

PartySaint
19/03/2016, 4:31 PM
Rovers weren't playing for a draw - we played almost the entire game in your third of the pitch. Pats just parked the bus.

Somebody had some fireworks I think. Was hard to see.

Once we got the lead there was no need to do anything else. Rovers had no creativity whatsoever.

Neither side are great tbh, we play Dundalk on Thursday, will be interesting to see how we get on against them.

Charlie Darwin
19/03/2016, 4:34 PM
Once we got the lead there was no need to do anything else. Rovers had no creativity whatsoever.

Neither side are great tbh, we play Dundalk on Thursday, will be interesting to see how we get on against them.
You did it the whole first half too. Rovers had no creativity but we knew that already, hence why Pats parked the bus.

Dodge
19/03/2016, 4:40 PM
Yep, Pats just let Rovers have the ball but it wasn't in the final third. More nearly all on half way. Buckley did a Fenlon on it in someways. Wait for mistakes and punish them

The only bit of attacking quality in the whole game was Timlin's cross and Fagan's goal

Team win and they say they were solid. Lose and they say they lacked ambition

Yossarian
19/03/2016, 5:06 PM
We really should have been in front at half time and were punished for not taking our chances. In the second half O'Donnell was nullified by the yellow card and a couple of subsequent fouls. I thought Cork didn't really offer much creatively and would have been happy with a draw. Once they scored we didn't show any creativity and resorted to long balls that were easily dealt with. Dooley must have been black and blue last night with the amount of times Gannon hit the ball against him.

It was a disappointing night and we'll need a big improvement on Thursday in Inchicore.

patrickccfc
19/03/2016, 6:08 PM
Maguires penalty last night

https://mobile.twitter.com/dunnocks74/status/711131681558757376/video/1