PDA

View Full Version : eL Moves Down in the Pecking Order

Bald Student
11/01/2005, 2:30 PM
Setanta moves into schools rugby
Gavin Cummiskey

Setanta Sports chief executive Niall Cogley has confirmed the new sports channel will televise Leinster Schools Cup matches from Donnybrook this year - starting with delayed coverage of the Clongowes Wood College and St Michael's College first round tie on January 31st.

The plan is to go live for the senior semi-finals - on February 28th and March 1st - and the St Patrick's Day final at Lansdowne Road, with all other matches to be screened in evening slots of 7 p.m. and 10.30 p.m.

At least 20 games, including Junior Cup matches at Donnybrook and, it's hoped, the penultimate stages of the Munster Schools Cup will also be shown.

Representatives from the Leinster Branch meet with Cogley today and the topic will be on the agenda at tomorrow evening's Branch meeting.

"We hope a certain level of interest will be generated," said Cogley. "Considering the cost, it is being done more as a service rather than a scoop so we will be following the requests of the branch."

The move brings an even brighter spotlight on to the Leinster Schools Cup, which requires, as one rugby correspondent once described, a small forest to be cut down to accommodate the print coverage.

Now, not even the boss with no comprehension of the competitions tradition can deny the 'old boys' a chance to view the drama unfolding as delayed screening times will allow those unable to attend, due to work commitments, to see the matches.

With outside broadcast units costing anything from €15,000 to €40,000, all the transmissions will be confined to Donnybrook. The Ulster Schools Cup is not being approached as BBC traditionally screens that final on March 17th anyway.

The regular Celtic League commentators will be available, but Cogley is keen for any input from the participating schools themselves.

"It will be predominantly watched by schoolboys so we are hoping to get the schoolboys involved - whether this be the introduction of teams or whatever."

Setanta sports is officially launched next month, but their seven-day a week viewing starts in the coming days running from 5 p.m. to midnight, Monday to Friday, and 8 a.m. to midnight at the weekend.

Setanta will be developing a rugby slot on Tuesday nights that will include Celtic League repeats and highlights, along with action from the French championship, where Irish internationals Trevor Brennan (Toulouse) and Mick O'Driscoll (Perpignan) currently earn a crust. A live French game will be aired each weekend.

This Saturday, Premiership leaders Chelsea's match against Tottenham at White Hart Lane will be shown live (3 p.m.), as will Celtic's SPL clash against Aberdeen and Juventus' Serie A tie with Cagliari. Setanta will also broadcast live coverage of this season's Formula One action.

© The Irish Times

dcfcsteve
11/01/2005, 2:45 PM
It's staggering how much media coverage/support a provincial schoolboy rugby competition can generate in this country.

Two key things I've taken out of that. First is Setanta saying that they're doing it primarily as a service (although I'm sure they'll attract some healthy ABC1-targetted advertising in the slots during and around the games). Second, is that they are in discussions/meetings with the Leinster Rugby Board about all of this.

Which leads me to ask 2 questions : Why no coverage of the EL as "a service", if they're prepared to do it for other fringe sporting activities like provincial school rugby competitions ? And more importantly - have the FAI asked to meet with Setanta to discuss maximising the channel's plans for covering the Eircom League ? I seriously doubt it. A willingness to learn from other organisation's positive ideas is rare enough down at Merrion Square, let alone showing independent initiative.

Staggering that a group of spotty provincial schoolkids get so much rugby coverage, whilst the national domestic soccer league appears to be getting little beyond the Setanta cup.

OneRedArmy
11/01/2005, 2:46 PM
I don't know if this indicates that "el moves down the pecking order" as your title implies.

If Setanta, by showing EL and Setanta Cup matches, are showing more domestic soccer than the terrestrial stations currently do, then surely this is a good thing, regardless of whether or not they also show 30 well off kids egg-chasing around Dublin 4.

dcfcsteve
11/01/2005, 2:46 PM
Any channel number confirmed for the Setanta free channel yet, btw ?

jimhacker
11/01/2005, 2:51 PM
I would wait until after the Setanta Cup to pass judgement on this outfit.

If they want to cover the schools rugby then good luck to them - I'd say it was an opportunity well spotted by both sides. Remember the Leinster final can attract crowds of 20000+.

patsh
11/01/2005, 2:59 PM
crowds of 20000+.
20,000+ of the tax dodging, right wing, PD voting looneys of the future all in one spot?:eek:
Seems like too good an opportunity to miss.......:D

Ruairi
11/01/2005, 3:02 PM
schools rugby? and setanta have the cheek to ask for a tenner a month on top of your existing sky bill for the "privilege"? balls to that i say

KR's Post
11/01/2005, 3:03 PM
Any channel number confirmed for the Setanta free channel yet, btw ?
The old nickelodeon channel i think it's on!!! open to disagreement here ;)

Macy
11/01/2005, 3:04 PM
Cogley is a well known rugger bugger, no surprise that the schools get coverage, surprised he isn't giving the AIL coverage like he did when he was head of RTE sport.

Having said that, they need to fill their midweek schedule, and they must be making money from advertisers/subscribers to pay for it (I don't buy the "service" line) I also don't buy the OB costs - the figure I've heard before is €4000 a match for football (from when TG4 were thinking of giving the eL coverage).

Bald Student
11/01/2005, 3:08 PM
I think that I agree with DCFCSteve on this. It looks like the IRFU have done a deal with Setanta. I think that this puts it up to the FAI or the League to do a similar deal. The channel is going 7 days a week soon. It should have plenty of space to fill.

eoinh
11/01/2005, 3:17 PM
"We hope a certain level of interest will be generated," said Cogley. "Considering the cost, it is being done more as a service rather than a scoop so we will be following the requests of the branch."

This from a commercial company. Remember its not RTE. Cogley was not involved in setting up the Setanta Cup as he was still in RTE at the time. Thankfully.
Unreal.

Between him and his father they have spend about 40 years promoting rugby at all costs. I remember when they would have live coverage of the All-Ireland league on TV every week when there was about two men and a dog at the match. :rolleyes:

A face
11/01/2005, 3:24 PM
This from a commercial company. Remember its not RTE. Cogley was not involved in setting up the Setanta Cup as he was still in RTE at the time. Thankfully.

But all this was said when he got the position .... i seem to remember that people were jumping for joy when he was from RTE and it all stopped soon afterwards when he got the Setanta one.

At least it wasn't a suprise anyway .... we always knew he would blindly follow the rugby. what is suprising is that as you said it is not RTE and why exactly are they "providing a service" when they are a commercial company ... sounds a bit fishy to me to be honest.

Schumi
11/01/2005, 3:29 PM
20,000+ ... PD voting
Something wrong here. :)

wws
11/01/2005, 3:36 PM
we've got to LEARN from other sports!
I reckon we should get the captain of the winning cup team - or Barry Ferguson as he's now known - to be presented the cup by his mammy

that will spark a bit of interest from those fat cat south dubs in Setanta!

pete
11/01/2005, 5:18 PM
Setanta already have the Celtic League so suppose it ties in Schools Rugby. I'd be surprsied if they paying anything for the rights to show these matches as no competition from them now.

Setanta need to fill their schedule with sport so i think we'll continue to see them snapping up all kinds of irish & foreign sports.

I'd be surprsied if Setanta don't show most of the irish teams in europe this year as they have an open schedule whereas RTE have to move some soap to accomadate.

Slash/ED
11/01/2005, 5:40 PM
Have Setanta not already confirmed that A) They'll broadcast 10 setanta cup matches and B) Are hopeing to broadcast a similar amount of EL matches as well as other EL related show(s)? If that turns out to be true they can show whatever else they like.

Comic Book Guy
11/01/2005, 9:02 PM
:D
20,000+ of the tax dodging, right wing, PD voting looneys of the future all in one spot?:eek:
Seems like too good an opportunity to miss.......:D

Nice one patsh :D wonder what Ross and Sorcha might think? Roysh :D

Enda M
11/01/2005, 9:17 PM
how may games have setanta promised to show el games that is

CollegeTillIDie
11/01/2005, 9:37 PM
Aberdonian Stu

Is dócha go bhfuil seans ag an Sraith Eircom ar TG4 ag an am seo. ;)

dcfcsteve
12/01/2005, 12:21 AM
The old nickelodeon channel i think it's on!!! open to disagreement here ;)

Any channel number for that ?

Longfordian
12/01/2005, 1:48 AM
we've got to LEARN from other sports!
I reckon we should get the captain of the winning cup team - or Barry Ferguson as he's now known - to be presented the cup by his mammy

Glad to see Dubya Dubya Ess has it straight, Barry is our leader, 3 in a row :)

Macy
12/01/2005, 7:24 AM
Have Setanta not already confirmed that A) They'll broadcast 10 setanta cup matches
Yes, but as sponsors they'd hardly not give it decent coverage

Have Setanta not already confirmed that B) Are hopeing to broadcast a similar amount of EL matches as well as other EL related show(s)?
They've only said it in an email reply to somebody afaik. Certainly no press announcement or contract.

Hopefully they do, if they start doing a match a week plus a decent hour long highlights package I'd certainly bite the bullet and sign up for setanta (and sky as thats the only way I'd get it!).

jimhacker
12/01/2005, 8:10 AM

Unreal.

Between him and his father they have spend about 40 years promoting rugby at all costs. I remember when they would have live coverage of the All-Ireland league on TV every week when there was about two men and a dog at the match. :rolleyes:

What's your problem with the likes of Fred Cogley promoting rugby all his life - it's the sport he loves and good luck to him. And by the way - he hasn't aged a day!

Loosen up a bit!

Macy
12/01/2005, 9:04 AM
What's your problem with the likes of Fred Cogley promoting rugby all his life - it's the sport he loves and good luck to him.
He was using fookin licence fee money to do it, to the detriment of other minority sports, that's what the problem is!

Clones Road Cas
12/01/2005, 9:54 AM
DCFC Steve you got it right in your first article, this is an advertising ploy. Forget about the service bit, there is no charity or community aspect to TV3, they cant afford it.

Actually having played rugby for many years i think this is a pretty good addition to the schedule. The reality is that from round one onwards most Leinster Schools games will get better crowds than non top 3 el games. This audience is predominantly underage (about 70%) but there is asizabble adult (ex pupil) support. Presumably for highlights programmes at night they are hoping for a larger ex pupil audience once having missed matches due to work.

I dont see why we should be knocking them, the product is a high quality one.
They have high crowds no matter what day or time the matches are on at. The advertisers should do well.

Heres the real point, the IRFU are run by a group of people with some level of intelligence and with the balls to invest in a professional set up despite such a small population base, the result a succesful international, provincial and regional league and schools set up.

The eircom league and FAI on the other hand is run by Krusty, Bobo and Bozo all recent graduates of clown school.

CRC

eoinh
12/01/2005, 10:24 AM
In fairness the schools round up the pupils, put them on a bus and give them a half/full day off to go to these matchs. What pupil woudnt take the time off from school.

Macy
12/01/2005, 10:27 AM
In fairness the schools round up the pupils, put them on a bus and give them a half/full day off to go to these matchs. What pupil woudnt take the time off from school.
Plus all the parents that go, all the teachers, plus the past pupils that seem to have any time they like off.

Clones Road Cas
12/01/2005, 10:38 AM
Having been there you get the half day / day off whether the match is on or not. And if teachers go or adults go they go cos they want to. I still travel down from Monaghan to Atha Cliath on occasion to see my school in the cup.

Im probably gonna get slagged unmercifully about this

CRC

Aberdonian Stu
12/01/2005, 10:45 AM
You're a rock boy aren't you :mad:

I went to a school where "foreign games" were looked down on, so I always pointed out that William Webb Ellis was from Tipperary :D

I think it's a good idea as there is an audience there, especially in the foreign pay-per-view market which I'm sure is one of the main reasons Setanta are looking at this.

Macy
12/01/2005, 10:54 AM
Having been there you get the half day / day off whether the match is on or not. And if teachers go or adults go they go cos they want to.
Teachers may not have to go, but would it look bad if they don't?

By casual, do you mean deck shoes and chino's? :D

eoinh
12/01/2005, 10:58 AM
Having been there you get the half day / day off whether the match is on or not. And if teachers go or adults go they go cos they want to. I still travel down from Monaghan to Atha Cliath on occasion to see my school in the cup.

CRC

To be honest I was there too. I used to refuse to go though. I remember what really annoyed them as well was the day i brought in a note from my father who gave permission for me to go to an FAI Cup reply in Flower Lodge. :D My Head teacher at the time was the trainer of the Senior Rugby Team. It didnt go down well with him. Alll the time Ild get "So little people go that when a goal is scired the crowd dont invade the pitch, Cork City players invade the crowd.

I was fairly good at rugby when i was young (we were made to go). they asked me to step up a year to play with an older team. I refused again, and when after a certain year you did rugger after school hours I gave it up immediately.

Funnily enough i think the head teacher took his frustrations on me out on my younger brother whos a mad rugger bugger (whom Patsh knows).

patsh
12/01/2005, 11:00 AM
Any "sport" that gets its act together and gets a deal like this fair play to them.
However, RTE in particular have always give rugby coverage way beyond it's appeal. It was (still is?) a minority sport, which got far too much airtime because too many people in the RTE sports department went to rugger schools.
Outside of that, even the morons in the eL/FAI MUST see the value and benefit of Setanta and the possibilities it presents. They will hardly ignore the station, and Setanta will not ignore them, so give it a few weeks/months, some things will surely happen.

jimhacker
12/01/2005, 11:19 AM

CRC

Correct - you are!

monutdfc
12/01/2005, 11:38 AM
I still travel down from Monaghan to Atha Cliath on occasion to see my school in the cup.

CRC

That's alright mate. I went to Belfast to see the Sem in the McRory Cup Final. There should be no problem with anyone going to watch their alma mater in a sport other than soccer football.

Clones Road Cas
12/01/2005, 2:47 PM
Correct - you are!

Ah now hold on I'm not taking s**t from someone names after a fictional Uk Prime Minister.

CRC

jimhacker
12/01/2005, 3:34 PM
Ah now hold on I'm not taking s**t from someone names after a fictional Uk Prime Minister.

CRC
Of course you're not..................I'll have Sir Humphrey heap it on you instead!!!!!

Clones Road Cas
12/01/2005, 11:13 PM
Of course you're not..................I'll have Sir Humphrey heap it on you instead!!!!!

Ah your servant you must be in West Cork then. :D