PDA

View Full Version : Germany, Italians lined up for March friendly

GalwayFrancis
11/01/2005, 12:13 PM
From eleven-a-side.com:

Germany, Italians lined up for March friendly

Brian Kerr’s Republic of Ireland side could take in a March friendly against high-profile European opposition, with Italy and World Cup 2006 hosts Germany both mentioned as possible opponents for a March 30th date at Lansdowne Road.

Ireland visit Israel for a crucial World Cup Group Four qualifier on March 26th, but while qualification rivals France, Israel and Switzerland are all in action again four days later, Kerr’s men have a free international date.

The FAI are keen to maximize their earning potential by lining up a friendly against quality opposition for that date.

Like Ireland, Italy have no other commitment on that date, while Germany must content themselves with a diet of friendly internationals as they do not have to qualify for next year’s finals.

-----------------------
Who would you perfere?

$Leon$
11/01/2005, 12:17 PM
rather see the italians in landesdown my self.
far better lookin bunch of lads.
no how to look after themselfes.
plus we'd prob have better chance of beatin them.
not the team they once were.

drummerboy
11/01/2005, 12:20 PM
Now that Rooney is gone it will be interesting to see what type of friendlies the FAI will secure. Italy and Germany would be excellent choices.

GalwayFrancis
11/01/2005, 12:58 PM
rather see the italians in landesdown my self.
far better lookin bunch of lads.
no how to look after themselfes.
plus we'd prob have better chance of beatin them.
not the team they once were.

i'd perfer to see Germany my-self, more of a chalenge, far better players than italy, what do ye think the score will be against portugal? i's say 2-1 ireland

Risteard
11/01/2005, 1:06 PM
i'd perfer to see Germany my-self, more of a chalenge, far better players than italy,
Thats not even a load of ballacks.
They've only one.
Its actually difficult to think of any intimidating opponents from the continent.
There's no country at the peak of its powers.
Have Italy not been going very well for a very long time though?

aidz1
11/01/2005, 1:52 PM
why is all these games in lansdowne road

wouldnt mind a small cheap trip to germany to look forward to

Plastic Paddy
11/01/2005, 2:05 PM
why is all these games in lansdowne road

wouldnt mind a small cheap trip to germany to look forward to

Be patient. With any luck you'll be going to Germany next year. It'll just be longer and more expensive than you currently think. :)

:D PP

NeilMcD
11/01/2005, 2:06 PM
Cause the FAI makes more money from home games. IF this money goes towards a stadium or the future of irish Football, well then its a good idea. However I am sure Brian Kerr would like to play an away friendly this year. Lat year we had Poland and Holland and the tournament in London.

tetsujin1979
11/01/2005, 3:15 PM
With the stadium going to be closed for the best part of 2 years (or whatever it is) we'll probably see "return" friendlies for these games while Lansdowne is closed.

Babysis
11/01/2005, 3:56 PM
Lat year we had Poland and Holland and the tournament in London.

Really is best not to talk about The unity cup. Very poor!

Kingdom
12/01/2005, 2:23 AM
Lads,

Its unlikely that we'll be playing Germany in Lansdowne , as I'd be surprised if the Germans will be playing any away friendlies due to them hosting WC2006. It would hardly make sense for them to travel when they will have all home games on the next tournament .... even if its only three!!

tetsujin1979
12/01/2005, 9:05 AM
I honestly think we are one of the more challenging sides in Europe now. Germany would be doing well to come over. I think both Italy and Germany have been struggling now for some time.

Still, if either of them came, it would mean we've played 5 teams from the top 10 in the world in a little over a year (Brazil, Czech, Holland, France + one of Germany/Italy) and hopefully still be unbeaten against them

eirebhoy
12/01/2005, 9:52 AM
Lads,

Its unlikely that we'll be playing Germany in Lansdowne , as I'd be surprised if the Germans will be playing any away friendlies due to them hosting WC2006. It would hardly make sense for them to travel when they will have all home games on the next tournament .... even if its only three!!
The Germany squad are only recently back from Asia...

Still, if either of them came, it would mean we've played 5 teams from the top 10 in the world in a little over a year (Brazil, Czech, Holland, France + one of Germany/Italy) and hopefully still be unbeaten against them
Turkey were a top 10 team, we played them just before Brazil.