PDA

View Full Version : Is Brandywell a safe venue to visit?

Pages : [1] 2

Ezeikial
12/03/2016, 10:54 AM
The reported "vicious attacks" on visiting Cork City supporters outside the Brandywell seems to me to be the latest in a series of incidents affecting visitors.

Stoning of supporters buses also seems to be a regular occurrence, with little or no effective police or club action to ensure the safety of visitors

Is it unsafe to visit?

An attack on a group of Cork City supporters attending last night’s Airtricity Premier Division clash with Derry City was "vicious" and "utterle disgraceful," Sinn Fein councillor for the Brandywell area, Patricia Logue, has said.
Speaking last night, Cllr Logue paid tribute to local residents to came to the aid of traveliing fans who attacked on Brandywell Road (pictured) outside Brandywell Statidum.
“This was a very serious situation; a small group of Cork City FC supporters were surrounded on the Brandywell Road by a mob and viciously attacked.

“They had to seek refuge in local businesses and homes.
“I would like to commend all those local residents and members of Community Restorative Justice who came to their aid and prevented a number of people from being attacked.”
Cllr Logue concluded: “Those who came into the Brandywell tonight and attacked the Cork supporters do not represent the people of the area or Derry City Football Club.”

http://www.derrynow.com/news/vicious-mob-attack-on-cork-city-fans-utterly-disgraceful-logue/79972

joey B
12/03/2016, 11:06 AM
Cork fan on Facebook reckons it was blown out of proportion and tbf Derry Now is a rag ,that been said these incidents seem to be a regular occurrence there and somebody has to stand up and do something about it.

brendy_éire
12/03/2016, 11:15 AM
Aye, bit blown out of proportion there.
Apparently it was a prearranged fight between the partizans or city service crew or whatever they're calling themselves. It was Derry vs Cork/Cliftonville. All very weird behaviour from a bunch of under 20s who really are lacking in intelligence.

Nesta99
12/03/2016, 12:46 PM
They are directly quoting an elected representative though. So either she has to have a word with author of the piece or Cork fans did seek refuge in homes and businesses after coming under attack.

KeepersBall
12/03/2016, 2:40 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/cork-city-fans-attacked-with-stones-and-batons-following-game-away-to-derry-city-34534224.html She's in here too

nigel-harps1954
12/03/2016, 3:16 PM
Derry City need to act now on these young lads. It's the same group of fellas involved in the mess at Finn Park last week with the flags and flare throwing onto the field, as well as reportedly going around kicking cars in the Aldi car park beside the ground.

Like it or not, and while they may not be 'real' supporters of Derry, they're going around Derry matches and causing bother and it's a situation I hope Derry sort out with the PSNI or other authorities very quickly before it gets too out of hand.

This small hooligan element is something that's totally alien to most League of Ireland supporters, and I'd hate to see it creeping into our league further.

brendy_éire
12/03/2016, 5:13 PM
It's the same group of fellas involved in the mess at Finn Park last week with the flags and flare throwing onto the field.

Might be, but not certain.

Unlike the stoning incidents, this has nothing to do with the Brandywell area.
It was a pre-arranged fight, and would happen anywhere we were playing. The Cork bus went via Belfast to pick up Cliftonville fans. Really weird stuff, when did this become a thing?
I'd pay little heed to that article. The elected representative likely wasn't there and is going on reports. Certainly blown out of proportion.

That being said, these morons have surfaced from their sewer on a few occasions now. It really doesn't help the club to encourage people to attend matches, makes Derry out to be a hole and generally gives the club and town a bad name.
Really wish they'd just feck off.

The solution may be to ban the fellas from the Brandy. Though I've heard that some of them weren't even at the match, so that mightn't kill them off entirely.
It's probably also an issue for the wider league, and also for the IL. If 'fans' are arranging fights between each other, we'll need a proper league-wide strategy to deal with these scumbags.

D24Saint
12/03/2016, 5:17 PM
Shocked at Cork City being involved in this type of sub culture sad to see this going on !

White Horse
12/03/2016, 5:27 PM
I'm hearing that this was a planned dust up between two sets of "casuals" (i.e. hooligans). It's possible that the Cork fans referred to the reports were ordinary fans who got caught up in this. Both clubs need to identify who was involved in the violence and ascertain their respective roles.

citybone
12/03/2016, 5:32 PM
Shocked at Cork City being involved in this type of sub culture sad to see this going on !
Although we have a problem, its a small problem but has grown over 10 years. They had to get Cliftonville fans to help boost their numbers. Some city fans go to cliftonville games (mostly in the off season). I know Shamrock Rovers and some Boh's fans also go to some Cliftonville games. Seems like they looked for trouble and got in. Iv been to Derry many times and never had trouble. I know a few city fans who were there last night and they had no problem.

Lim till i die
12/03/2016, 6:10 PM
Cork have had that problem years. I remember one of them getting their tiny little brain kicked in in tolka a few years back. It's a problem with a small p though because your talking about child minds who are really no danger to anyone but themselves. On the other hand its a surprise cork haven't dealt with it long go. I could probably point out six or seven of them just from going to First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC and cork games.

As for derry we've all heard the excuses and we all understand the political situation. But to quote Baron Jarry the war is over lads and it's been over for awhile. I can't see what Derry are bringing to the southern league that justifys ordinary fans of other clubs having to put up with the extraordinary situation that exists around the Brandywell. If they can't guarantee adequate policing (which they obviously can't) then they should have to play somewhere where they can.

White Horse
12/03/2016, 6:20 PM
I'm reading reports on Twitter of Cork fans being attacked with "stones and batons". Unless my ear for the Derry accent is mistaken, did the councillor not say "stones and bottles"?

Longfordian
12/03/2016, 6:22 PM
Doubt the local rapscallions would be carrying batons to be fair. "Bottles" is much more likely.

Pablo Escobar
12/03/2016, 6:24 PM
Cork have had that problem years. I remember one of them getting their tiny little brain kicked in in tolka a few years back. It's a problem with a small p though because your talking about child minds who are really no danger to anyone but themselves. On the other hand its a surprise cork haven't dealt with it long go. I could probably point out six or seven of them just from going to First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC and cork games.

As for derry we've all heard the excuses and we all understand the political situation. But to quote Baron Jarry the war is over lads and it's been over for awhile. I can't see what Derry are bringing to the southern league that justifys ordinary fans of other clubs having to put up with the extraordinary situation that exists around the Brandywell. If they can't guarantee adequate policing (which they obviously can't) then they should have to play somewhere where they can.
We have gone to great lengths. I genuinely thought this problem didn't exist anymore. It surfaced about 7/8 years ago and continued for a few years. Bannings were issued and we supplied information to clubs for away games. I actually think we dealt with it quite well. There's differing reports of what happened, but generally the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I really hope this issue isn't rearing its head again as it hasn't been a problem for a while.

White Horse
12/03/2016, 6:42 PM
Doubt the local rapscallions would be carrying batons to be fair. "Bottles" is much more likely.

A cork newspaper is reporting the use of "batons", it'll be ballistic missiles next.

CORK CITY fans were saved from a vicious attack after a soccer match in Derry last night. Local residents came to the fans’ aid and took them into their homes and businesses after they were suddenly surrounded by a mob armed with batons and stones.
http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/cork-city-fc-fans-attacked-batons-stones-derry/1933799/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

bluewhitearmy
12/03/2016, 6:55 PM
One of them Cork lads ended up in an ambulance with his head busted open outside Thomond too our last season there after swinging a glass bottle at Limerick lads that wanted nothing to do with them. I remember Cork giving names and pictures to Limerick stewards in Jackman at one stage though.

strikeforce
12/03/2016, 10:19 PM
Aye, bit blown out of proportion there.
Apparently it was a prearranged fight between the partizans or city service crew or whatever they're calling themselves. It was Derry vs Cork/Cliftonville. All very weird behaviour from a bunch of under 20s who really are lacking in intelligence.y
What a load of ****e and you know it. At least have the decency to tell it as it is. No prearranged fight. This started at half time when the lads were having a pint with the locals. This group of young crack heads came into the Bar looking for a scrap. The locals and barstaff ran them out. They came back after the game, same thing happened but next time they came back there was at least 70 of them. This was witnessed by a local public rep who came onto cork radio this morning and openly apologized for the treatment meted out to the City fans. Seems this is not the first time this has happened. You have a major problem up there so face up to it.

strikeforce
12/03/2016, 10:23 PM
Although we have a problem, its a small problem but has grown over 10 years. They had to get Cliftonville fans to help boost their numbers. Some city fans go to cliftonville games (mostly in the off season). I know Shamrock Rovers and some Boh's fans also go to some Cliftonville games. Seems like they looked for trouble and got in. Iv been to Derry many times and never had trouble. I know a few city fans who were there last night and they had no problem.
Get the facts before you post ****e citybone. You were put in your place on the ccfc forum over this. your totally wrong on this one.

strikeforce
12/03/2016, 10:25 PM
A cork newspaper is reporting the use of "batons", it'll be ballistic missiles next.

CORK CITY fans were saved from a vicious attack after a soccer match in Derry last night. Local residents came to the fans’ aid and took them into their homes and businesses after they were suddenly surrounded by a mob armed with batons and stones.
http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/cork-city-fc-fans-attacked-batons-stones-derry/1933799/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
Different kettle of fish when your bus was stoned last year.

strikeforce
12/03/2016, 10:34 PM

While batons were not used, a lot of them had large sticks so maybe thats where the information was misinterpeted. I sincerely hope this never happens to anyone from another club, not even the clubs I dislike/:smirk::smirk:

citybone
13/03/2016, 7:28 PM
We have gone to great lengths. I genuinely thought this problem didn't exist anymore. It surfaced about 7/8 years ago and continued for a few years. Bannings were issued and we supplied information to clubs for away games. I actually think we dealt with it quite well. There's differing reports of what happened, but generally the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I really hope this issue isn't rearing its head again as it hasn't been a problem for a while.

With more reports it seems like the Cork guys were just enjoying a halftime pint when the first incident happened but when they were having after game drink a large group attacked them. Does seem very one sided and violent. Does seem the area around the Brandywell may not be fully safe. I have seen other reports before. Maybe things have gotten worse since I last visited.

sullanefc
14/03/2016, 3:25 AM
With more reports it seems like the Cork guys were just enjoying a halftime pint when the first incident happened but when they were having after game drink a large group attacked them. Does seem very one sided and violent. Does seem the area around the Brandywell may not be fully safe. I have seen other reports before. Maybe things have gotten worse since I last visited.
So you were wrong is it? Some very disappointing comments and accusations towards the City fans on here despite all media reporting the opposite.

While incidents inside the ground can be managed by Derry stewards, general law and order outside the ground cannot be done by stewards. Only the PSNI can do this. It's about time that Derry City FC face up to this before their good name gets tarnished by these non DCFC fans.

White Horse
14/03/2016, 7:33 AM
Can anyone from Cork confirm whether the Cork fans involved have been banned from Turners Cross?

I read some comments to this effect but they may not be correct.

seand
14/03/2016, 8:55 AM
WTF are Derry doing letting away fans out to the pub at half time anyway?

Flexy
14/03/2016, 9:34 AM
Strikeforce one thing. why where Cork Fans in the bar at Half Time, the stewards would not have allowed them for a PINT at Half Time under no circumstances. So they are either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble.
I would love to see fans of Derry ( my club ) take action against these youths who yr in yr out tarnish the name of our club and our City. Theres enough councillors and MP's and fans who could take action against these clowns and point them out. Every year Cork fans come to Derry and vice versa and we have an amazing relationship with each other home and away, only last yr a true Cork fan broke her leg and the fans of Derry and Cork combined to Together and take her home safely. This is what football is about coming together as one and be united to fight back against this very small minority of scum

El-Pietro
14/03/2016, 10:03 AM
I've been out for a pint at half time in the Brandy before. Haven't tried it in a few years but would have assumed the stewards would have no problem letting people out and back again.

Dodge
14/03/2016, 11:20 AM
It's not allowed in most grounds.

More bus windows smashed in at the Brandywell than all the other grounds combined. can happen anywhere, but does happen regularly there. Most Derry fans I know are mortified by it

MattB11
14/03/2016, 12:08 PM
Away fans allowed out for pints at HT in the Brandywell? Terribly amateurish

Real ale Madrid
14/03/2016, 12:58 PM
Why do people want to go to the pub at half time of attending a football match? You are there to support the team not drink pints. I never quite understood the need for a rushed pint at that particular point in a game - the football is not that bleak anymore anyway.

It all comes down to alcohol in this country doesn't it?

Now, where's me slippers? Match tonight - need to grab a nap at some stage before hand.

TheFonz
14/03/2016, 12:59 PM
Can anyone from Cork confirm whether the Cork fans involved have been banned from Turners Cross?

Not true.

Mr A
14/03/2016, 1:01 PM
I love a half time pint. The team does not need support at half time anyway.

TheFonz
14/03/2016, 1:02 PM
Strikeforce one thing. why where Cork Fans in the bar at Half Time, the stewards would not have allowed them for a PINT at Half Time under no circumstances. So they are either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble.

Derry City stewards allowed away fans out. We were also allowed back into the ground after half time by the same steward. So no, They are not either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble. You can try pin this on Cork City fans as much as you and other supporters have been trying to do but it won't stick. A SF councillor witnessed the whole thing and has gone on record to say what happened but you still have people thinking it was some arranged fight.

Real ale Madrid
14/03/2016, 1:23 PM
I love a half time pint. The team does not need support at half time anyway.

I'm definitely on my own with those musings alright but I must say unless it was overlooking the pitch I would never be bothered. Grand at the rugby where you can sip away during the game.

El-Pietro
14/03/2016, 1:23 PM
Why do people want to go to the pub at half time of attending a football match? You are there to support the team not drink pints. I never quite understood the need for a rushed pint at that particular point in a game - the football is not that bleak anymore anyway.

It all comes down to alcohol in this country doesn't it?

Now, where's me slippers? Match tonight - need to grab a nap at some stage before hand.
This from "Real Ale" Madrid.

Mr A
14/03/2016, 1:31 PM
I would add the caveat that you have to be able to get back in time for KO of second half. Doesn't always work out like that but mostly you get the Barca Bar and back in good time.

pateen
14/03/2016, 1:43 PM
Might be, but not certain.

Unlike the stoning incidents, this has nothing to do with the Brandywell area.
It was a pre-arranged fight, and would happen anywhere we were playing. The Cork bus went via Belfast to pick up Cliftonville fans. Really weird stuff, when did this become a thing?
I'd pay little heed to that article. The elected representative likely wasn't there and is going on reports. Certainly blown out of proportion.

That being said, these morons have surfaced from their sewer on a few occasions now. It really doesn't help the club to encourage people to attend matches, makes Derry out to be a hole and generally gives the club and town a bad name.
Really wish they'd just feck off.

The solution may be to ban the fellas from the Brandy. Though I've heard that some of them weren't even at the match, so that mightn't kill them off entirely.
It's probably also an issue for the wider league, and also for the IL. If 'fans' are arranging fights between each other, we'll need a proper league-wide strategy to deal with these scumbags.

I'd really love to know where this Cliftonville rumour came from. Quite a shocking accusation to make.

TheFonz
14/03/2016, 2:12 PM

It was a father and his son who is 16 that were picked up in Belfast who travel down to Cork 5/6 times a season, but don't let that get in the way of your attempt to push the blame.
The elected representative was very much there, infact I was speaking to her myself during the aftermath.

To use your words '' I'd pay little heed'' to the ****e you were told by the CCFC/DCFC love in brigade.

Redzer
14/03/2016, 3:48 PM
It was a father and his son who is 16 that were picked up in Belfast who travel down to Cork 5/6 times a season, but don't let that get in the way of your attempt to push the blame.
The elected representative was very much there, infact I was speaking to her myself during the aftermath.

To use your words '' I'd pay little heed'' to the ****e you were told by the CCFC/DCFC love in brigade.
Next time you lot are coming to the Showgrounds, I've an uncle and aunt in Louth, would you be so kind as to pick them up?

TheFonz
14/03/2016, 4:11 PM
Next time you lot are coming to the Showgrounds, I've an uncle and aunt in Louth, would you be so kind as to pick them up?

Absolutely. Fonzys taxi services to the rescue.

strikeforce
14/03/2016, 11:09 PM
I would love to see fans of Derry ( my club ) take action against these youths who yr in yr out tarnish the name of our club and our City. Theres enough councillors and MP's and fans who could take action against these clowns and point them out. Every year Cork fans come to Derry and vice versa and we have an amazing relationship with each other home and away, only last yr a true Cork fan broke her leg and the fans of Derry and Cork combined to Together and take her home safely. This is what football is about coming together as one and be united to fight back against this very small minority of scum

Let me tell you one thing my friend, I have been up in the Brandywell many times and have been allowed out to the Bar at half time many times. (I don't drink but friends of mine do. ) So does that answer your question. NEXT QUESTION.

strikeforce
14/03/2016, 11:16 PM

I wonder where you could have read this. Maybe its time your own lot started banning that shower in the shed. I've heard the stewards up in Oriel are afraid to even throw them out when they start, anyway back to your comment................UNTRUE. NEXT QUESTION.

Nesta99
15/03/2016, 6:53 AM
Enough of the whataboutery Strikeforce, clarification of a rumour, that was acknowledged as possibly inaccurate, was all that was asked for. Do you not think there is enough attempts at scattering responsibility in this thread already without pointing the finger at a club that wasnt involved. Just a bit over defensive imo! It was an unsavoury incident that needs to be dealt with going forward no matter who was involved, batons, bottles, or sticks as weapons of choice, prearranged or not?!

strikeforce
15/03/2016, 7:19 AM
Enough of the whataboutery Strikeforce, clarification of a rumour, that was acknowledged as possibly inaccurate, was all that was asked for. Do you not think there is enough attempts at scattering responsibility in this thread already without pointing the finger at a club that wasnt involved. Just a bit over defensive imo! It was an unsavoury incident that needs to be dealt with going forward no matter who was involved, batons, bottles, or sticks as weapons of choice, prearranged or not?!

Clarification of an untrue rumour on the national press and national radio and eyewitness reports not good enough anymore. Nesta your around long enough to know certain people on here were fishing and hoping to land the big one....all they got though was a old wellie. Some people have no problem ridiculing another club, but when the manure is hurled back over the ditch regarding their club....well their skins aint as thick as what they thought. We all have problems with issues effecting our clubs but ffs give it a break. Matter dealt with as far as I'm concerned. I like that word though Nesta ( Whataboutery ) should try and get it included in the Oxford dictionary.:highfive:

Nesta99
15/03/2016, 8:55 AM
'whataboutery' yup a good word alright but a long time on the go in the North and up this neck of the woods anyway - describes Irish politics perfectly and quite a few threads on Foot.ie too. I dont know if there was trolling going on above but ye know what they say about starving 'em!

punkrocket
15/03/2016, 10:40 AM
Can we have a bit of letsgetalongerism introduced at this point.

Nesta99
15/03/2016, 12:52 PM
Thought there was plenty of letsgetalangerism already happening!?!

White Horse
15/03/2016, 1:09 PM
PSNI statement:

After 10.25pm on Friday 11 March, police received two reports of an altercation occurring between a group of males in the Lecky Road area of Derry/Londonderry. One of the reports stated that the group were throwing bottles at each other and at passing cars. A wing mirror on one car was broken as a result.
When police attended some minutes later, approximately 20 youths were in the area. There was no altercation occurring, though the youths threw a number of stones and bottles at the police vehicle.
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/cork-city-thank-brandywell-residents-after-attack-on-fans-1-7274615#ixzz42yrFWO4a

outspoken
15/03/2016, 1:32 PM
Away fans allowed out for pints at HT in the Brandywell? Terribly amateurish

Few of our lads went for pints in the horseshoe next to turners last night. Previously been allowed to do so in Inchicore also.

White Horse
15/03/2016, 1:35 PM
Few of our lads went for pints in the horseshoe next to turners last night.

Supporters or players?

Martinho II
15/03/2016, 4:26 PM
Supporters or players?

fans!mind you the way our players played last nite they looked drunk to me!