PDA

View Full Version : Semi Pro V Amateur

pete
21/01/2002, 11:26 AM
Whats the difference between an amateur players (junior leagues) & a semi pro eL player?

BTW not a trick question just wondering what people think.....

- wages?
- travel?

dahamsta
21/01/2002, 11:42 AM
An amateur by definition is someone who doesn't accept money (or other forms of payment) for what they do. A professional is someone who does. Semi-pro's are paid a nominal amount, I presume to be recognised as professionals. Most have jobs to bolster their earnings. I wonder if there are any true professional players in the eL, i.e. players that don't have second jobs, or at least jobs that aren't tied into the league (as in sponsorship and endorsement). Somehow I doubt it.

adam

pete
21/01/2002, 12:10 PM
Basically whole bohs squad are fulltime footballers, $hel$ aren't too far behind them & almost all clubs have anything ranging from 1-7 fulltimers.

Maybe I was being too subtle but if a semi pro player trains twice a week & an amateur also trains twice a week is the only difference between them that the semi pro plays games during the week & tarvels long distances & gets paid for that?

dahamsta
21/01/2002, 12:24 PM
Maybe I was being too subtle but if a semi pro player trains twice a week & an amateur also trains twice a week is the only difference between them that the semi pro plays games during the week & tarvels long distances & gets paid for that?

I would think so.

adam