PDA

View Full Version : Cork 2005: The awakening cermony

Pages : [1] 2

Colm
10/01/2005, 12:27 PM
Who was at it?
A few of us went along to it. I thought it was excellent, really spectacular with all the fire, the lights, the fireworks, the special effects etc.
The crowds were amazing, apparently 80,000 people on the streets with about 30,000 getting access to the quays for the awakening.
Cork has always been the envy of the rest of Ireland but this cermony must surely have made the rest of Europe feel a bit jealous of us aswell!!

Gary
10/01/2005, 12:33 PM
I was speaking to some people who felt it was disspointing, but I certainly couldnt for the life of me see their point of view.

If only for the last few minutes, with the European National Anthem on the speakers, when all the building tops started exploding with colour and fireworks, and fireball launching into the Lee.

Absolutely fantastic, and fair play to those who organised it. There are many begrudgers, but thats an Irish thing at this point.

The Wheres Me Culture gig in the Mardyke wasn't half bad either.

patsh
10/01/2005, 12:55 PM
I was on Camden quay, and with the exception of the last few minutes of the Ode to Joy piece, on the whole felt it was disappointing. I've seen and been involved with many outdoor events like this, and felt the attitude regarding the fireworks was the usual "we don't have many fireworks displays in Cork so throwing a few thousand euros worth into the air will do the job" attitude. They were too far away, didn't have a focal point, and would have been much more spectacular had they been set-off from the roofs of some city centre buildings or the middle of the river itself.
A little more imagination could have made it so much better, and the pagent was wasted across the two bridges, it would have been much better to have moved it down to the swing basin where people could see the whole thing as one piece and the fireworks could have been there as well.
It's not begrudgery to criticise something that could have been so, so much better with a little more imagination. You can have a "sure anything thats put on is grand" attitude and thats fine, but some people demand slightly more especially when it would not be too hard to get that little more.

A face
10/01/2005, 5:41 PM
I think it's great that Cork got it and all that, but all I keep hearing about is this knitting project which sounds like one of those 'let's try and get rid of grant money quickly' ideas...

I dunno ... fairly play to the knitters like !! :p

The thing is ... everyone was asked to submit ideas and the ideas will only ever be as good as the ones put forward. I mean if the ICA or whoever it was, want to get into the guiness book of records with the most loopback, over and around thingy whazzits, "look at the size of that jumper" then more power to them :D ..... i'd still love to know what City will be involved in .... i would be good to know soon.

thecorner
10/01/2005, 5:59 PM
this cermony must surely have made the rest of Europe feel a bit jealous of us aswell!!

can u name who had this honour the last few years...............i cant :confused:

couldnt give a crap about it.........just a load of b0llox

and colm ,....u were in town and wouldnt drop into flahertys to us ;)

Troy.McClure
10/01/2005, 8:02 PM
I was on Camden quay, and with the exception of the last few minutes of the Ode to Joy piece, on the whole felt it was disappointing. I've seen and been involved with many outdoor events like this, and felt the attitude regarding the fireworks was the usual "we don't have many fireworks displays in Cork so throwing a few thousand euros worth into the air will do the job" attitude. They were too far away, didn't have a focal point, and would have been much more spectacular had they been set-off from the roofs of some city centre buildings or the middle of the river itself.
A little more imagination could have made it so much better, and the pagent was wasted across the two bridges, it would have been much better to have moved it down to the swing basin where people could see the whole thing as one piece and the fireworks could have been there as well.
It's not begrudgery to criticise something that could have been so, so much better with a little more imagination. You can have a "sure anything thats put on is grand" attitude and thats fine, but some people demand slightly more especially when it would not be too hard to get that little more.

Was in the same place myself and have to agree with you. The tv programme was good (except for the live presenters) but it was a shame the sound kept going at vital points (ie like when they were showing the X :mad: )

Risteard
10/01/2005, 8:45 PM
I missed most of the action cos of work.
It wrecked my head listening to the fireworks going off outside.
From what i've seen it was some spectacle.
Its easy to be cynical about a fireworks display but the Spraoi thing looked brilliant. Shame we don't have agroup like that in Cork.
Twas a good night for the kids really i suppose.
There was a load of crap articles in the echo today but one good one about the bad irish attitude to things like this and saying that we're not really an arty city like Galway and hoping this would change.

Having said all this the whole Capitol of Cultire idea is politicol ballsology.
But anything that brings people together like the other night is great as far as i'm concerned.

Pablo
10/01/2005, 10:41 PM
i thought it was an amazing spectacle. i was on Lavitts quay and it was spine tinglingly good at times.

So proud of our city

patsh
11/01/2005, 6:55 AM
saying that we're not really an arty city like Galway and hoping this would change.
Bullcrap.
Galway has its arts festival, Film Fleadh, the Taibhdhearc and the theatre company and a few events during the year.
Cork has treble the amount of arts activity that Galway has, but because so many writers in Dublin like their little drunken weekends in Galway, they push the myth that Galway is where its at.

Risteard
11/01/2005, 9:11 AM
I'd like to think we're heading the right direction alright.
Where Galway is ahead though is the action on the streets.
Ya can't move up there without bumping into a busker, juggler, dancer what have ya. Although they do have the advantage of their main streets being narrow and pedestrianised.

Gary
11/01/2005, 9:29 AM
Ya can't move up there without bumping into a busker, juggler, dancer what have ya.

Maybe that has more to do with chronic unemployment and lack of education than actual artiness or culture ;) :)

Colm
11/01/2005, 10:15 AM
can u name who had this honour the last few years...............i cant :confused:

couldnt give a crap about it.........just a load of b0llox

and colm ,....u were in town and wouldnt drop into flahertys to us ;)

Lille last year, Liverpool next..... but I only know that because it's been all over the papers recently. :D

I think it's a little bit harsh to say it's a load of boll0x. I probably wouldn't be in to most of the events organised for it myself but it is a nice honour for the City.

As for Flaherty's, you can go for a pint any day. The awakening ceremony was a once off and it would have been a shame to miss it! I was just dissappointed that I had a prior engagement and couldn't stay around town afterwards.

Peadar
11/01/2005, 11:05 AM
I think it's a little bit harsh to say it's a load of boll0x.

Studies suggest that any city which has previously held this honour experiences a significant increase in tourist numbers and that the numbers stay up even when the honour has passed to another city.

patsh
11/01/2005, 11:16 AM
can u name who had this honour the last few years...............i cant :confused: couldnt give a crap about it.........just a load of b0llox
Its up to each City to make what they will of it. Cork as a city will be much more well known around Europe because of this, and the more intersting and varied the program, the more visitors we will get. There have been significant improvements to the infrastructure of the city already, as things like the rebuilding of Patrick's street became an imperative once Cork was selected to host the event.

Unfortunately, the response form the business community and central Government has been lukewarm, and Cork has a budget of only €13.5 million.
Contrast this with cities like Glasgow, who had budgets of ST£50 million plus.

At the very least, the city will look a lot better, and will be more of an attraction for tourists after the year. With a little luck, the city will gain a lot more than this.

Colm
11/01/2005, 11:21 AM
Its up to each City to make what they will of it. Cork as a city will be much more well known around Europe because of this, and the more intersting and varied the program, the more visitors we will get. There have been significant improvements to the infrastructure of the city already, as things like the rebuilding of Patrick's street became an imperative once Cork was selected to host the event.

That's a good point. At the very least it put a deadline of 2005 on getting Pana, Oliver Plunkett st etc all up to scratch, otherwise these works could have dragged on a lot longer.

The City will definately become more well known around Europe over the course of the year. Euronews did a nice feature on Saturday's ceremony over the weekend.

pete
11/01/2005, 1:21 PM
I'd think that the increased tourism numbers are probably just down to the extra promotion of the city. Be surprised if many people actually travelled specifically to a city because of City of Culture title.

Culture thing can't hurt but might be different if cork counties 350k people had to pay the €40 each out of their own pockets...?

Éanna
11/01/2005, 1:29 PM
Cork has treble the amount of arts activity that Galway has, but because so many writers in Dublin like their little drunken weekends in Galway, they push the myth that Galway is where its at.
Much as i love Cork, there is a great buzz around galway that you don't find in many other cities. The atmosphere there is different to any other city in ireland. I can see why a lot of people love it up there

Gary
11/01/2005, 1:44 PM
That's a good point. At the very least it put a deadline of 2005 on getting Pana, Oliver Plunkett st etc all up to scratch, otherwise these works could have dragged on a lot longer.

Well the Grand Parade outside Argos is dug up again, so it seems to me the fools were preparing for just one day :rolleyes:

Much as i love Cork, there is a great buzz around galway that you don't find in many other cities. The atmosphere there is different to any other city in ireland. I can see why a lot of people love it up there

So what? If the pre-requisite to hosting such an event is what is already in place, it would only be in places like Amsterdam/Paris/Brugge. Of the afore mentioned, the City of Culture has been a big failure, as it didnt really make a difference one way or other.

To put it in Galway would be similar. Cork has been deprived of any tourist oppurtunities, now it has a big one, and hopefully something can be made of it.

patsh
11/01/2005, 1:44 PM
Thats because the whole "scene" is condensed into a small little area of a few streets. I don't particularly like the "we're from Galway, we drink and we're mad" vibe that a lot of Galwegians come out with. After working there for a while and also with a large gang of them down here, it gets pretty tedious after a while.

BTW, I'm not having a go at everybody from there, it's just that the whole "festival town" deal is completely overdone. All Irish people know how to enjoy themselves, and therte are a lot of activities, sporting, cultural and social going on around the country, and Galway does not have the monopoly on these that some would have you believe.

Éanna
11/01/2005, 1:52 PM
yeah, I think the size of the town has a lot to do with it- there are one or to towns in spain which are very similar (Salamanca, Granada) as well as small areas of Madrid and Barcelona which have that kind of atmosphere as well. Re Galway- It can be a bit overplayed maybe, but I love the place

Ruairi
11/01/2005, 1:56 PM
Re Galway- It can be a bit overplayed maybe, but I love the place

surely you mean GAAAAAAAAWLLLLLLLWAAAAAYYYYY??

Peadar
11/01/2005, 1:59 PM
Galway people seem to instantly develop a D4 accent when they move to Dublin.
I've never been to Galway at night and not seen people kicking 50 colours of shíte out of each other. It's nothing more than a big country town.

dahamsta
11/01/2005, 2:03 PM
I've only been in Galway once, on the way home from Dublin (don't ask), shortly after the clubs let out. The scene outside Supermacs at that time was very reminiscent of the scenes outside Burgerland and the Grand Parade Hotel in Cork in the past.

adam

Peadar
11/01/2005, 2:08 PM
The scene outside Supermacs at that time was very reminiscent of the scenes outside Burgerland and the Grand Parade Hotel in Cork in the past.

That's pretty much what I was reffering to.
I'm not saying it doesn't still happen in Cork on occassion but it's behaviour more associated with rural towns than cities. In Galway it seems to be the norm for a weekend. The shades didn't bat an eyelid.

A face
11/01/2005, 3:43 PM
Maybe that has more to do with chronic unemployment and lack of education than actual artiness or culture ;) :)

Nice one fella .... i like it !! :D

A face
11/01/2005, 3:57 PM

Fair point .... but you would have to ask ...... what in gods name has the City manager been doing for the last 10-20 years ... it seems to be groundhog day for a few years to be honest.

Decentralisation cant come fast enough (even though they are making a complete fúck up of it) for alot od towns around the country. I think that will contribute a bit to improving facilities etc. for the towns ear marked for it.

But again ..... what has the City manager been up to ..... what actually happens at City hall ... Will some fireworks and a parade or two keep the public happy .... or do they even give a toss about it (it sometimes seems not)

I can remember a website site up a few years ago ... www.realcork.com .... the loft (or what ever it is called) on on cornmarket street were moved into getting the building cleaned, and City hall stop them saying that they would provide the contractor at 6 times the price ... it is still not cleaned

The tables and chair thing a while back (and before that, no chairs/tables were allowed) while every city across Europe they can been seen.

I know they are all small things ...... but i think the City manager should be put up against a wall and shot along with all his family. It is a joke what they are getting away with.

A face
11/01/2005, 4:04 PM
That's pretty much what I was reffering to.
I'm not saying it doesn't still happen in Cork on occassion but it's behaviour more associated with rural towns than cities. In Galway it seems to be the norm for a weekend. The shades didn't bat an eyelid.

I have to say i have been out in Galway a few times and thought it was fine ... actually very good to be honest. Didn't see any fighting, or anything of that sort.

Having said that ... i have been out in Limerick a few times and never got any hassle there either ..... bit of a let down actually, really psyched up for it and then nothing :p .... actually have a great night during the summer on the quay by the city hall, the pubs and restaurants by the river .... great spot.

I would believe half of the stuff you are lead to believe, go there for yourself and find out first.

Peadar
11/01/2005, 4:56 PM
I would believe half of the stuff you are lead to believe, go there for yourself and find out first.

I was giving you my personal experience Face, not something I'd heard from someone else.
I've been out in Limerick and Waterford loads of times without seeing trouble but Eyre Square was a sure bet for a fracas!

dancinpants
11/01/2005, 5:14 PM
Eyre Sq is a cert bet on a fixed odds for an auld scrap alright. Just grab yer manky curry chips and mighty mac and sit back and enjoy Friday night Fight Night. Galways a good spot but you can walk to through all the highlights in about 20 mins (from Eyre Square down to Dominic St) and thats yer lot. It just seems longer when yer blocked.

As for Colms statement:

Cork has always been the envy of the rest of Ireland but this cermony must surely have made the rest of Europe feel a bit jealous of us aswell!!

Thats a wee bit strong there lad in fairness!!

Éanna
11/01/2005, 5:30 PM
what in gods name has the City manager been doing for the last 10-20 years
Dolan's only had the job for 2 years A Face- give him a break :D

Éanna
11/01/2005, 5:31 PM
Eyre Square was a sure bet for a fracas!
still is AFAIK. Its been a dodgy spot for a good while. Galways no different from anywhere else, if you want trouble you'll find it- its perfectly easy to walk past and ignore it. As for what A face said about Limerick- I lived there for the best part of 4 years and never saw ANY hassle on the streets at night.

Superhoops
11/01/2005, 8:17 PM
If the Yanks are looking for somewhere to practise their bombing, look no further!

dortie
11/01/2005, 8:30 PM
still is AFAIK. Its been a dodgy spot for a good while. Galways no different from anywhere else, if you want trouble you'll find it- its perfectly easy to walk past and ignore it. As for what A face said about Limerick- I lived there for the best part of 4 years and never saw ANY hassle on the streets at night.

Eyre square is nothing compared to Salthill in the summer, wooohooo, fight night at its best. I went to Galway 5 years in a row for a 2 week holiday in my early 20s (Sad I know)....I learned to stay away from Salthill, never seen much bother in the City itself. Some cracker bars like Taffes and the Kings Head.....

Mmmmm Galway or Cork ?????? Cork for the sheer fact there is less American tourists in rain macs standing sipping a pint of stout for 3 hours....
At least up here in Derry hi, we are relatively free of annoying Yanks :D ..Fear factor.

Éanna
11/01/2005, 8:33 PM
Eyre square is nothing compared to Salthill in the summer, wooohooo, fight night at its best.
true. hardly a summer goes by with out a shower of dubs having their own drag-racing tournament in salthill which eventually descends into an all out riot :D spot on about the yanks- try living in Blarney- coach loads of the ****ERS every bloody day :eek: :mad:

dortie
11/01/2005, 8:38 PM
true. hardly a summer goes by with out a shower of dubs having their own drag-racing tournament in salthill which eventually descends into an all out riot :D spot on about the yanks- try living in Blarney- coach loads of the ****ERS every bloody day :eek: :mad:

Yep, last time in Cork I stayed in the Sunset Ridge, Blarney road isnt it ?? A few 25 stone Yanks with caps and macs in the hotel bar alright :rolleyes: ...
As for Salthill, most of the lads that ****ed me off for no reason back then were from Limerick.....No offense to the Limerick lads on here.

As someone else mentioned each City has its arseholes.....

dancinpants
11/01/2005, 9:01 PM
Eyre square is nothing compared to Salthill in the summer, wooohooo, fight night at its best.

Thats coz Salthill is full of creamers. Its nothin' but a halting site wi slot machines!!!. As far as the yanks are concerned...do they only see half of the weather forecasts? There they are all in there wee see through ponchos (or luminous ponchos) and a pair of ****in' shorts!!!!. Lived there for 4 years and always dreaded the spring/summer influx of them...them and their f**kin' half n' halfs!!!

patsh
12/01/2005, 7:24 AM
Fair point .... but you would have to ask ...... what in gods name has the City manager been doing for the last 10-20 years ... it seems to be groundhog day for a few years to be honest.

But again ..... what has the City manager been up to ..... what actually happens at City hall ... Will some fireworks and a parade or two keep the public happy .... or do they even give a toss about it (it sometimes seems not)

I know they are all small things ...... but i think the City manager should be put up against a wall and shot along with all his family. It is a joke what they are getting away with.
EXTREMELY HARSH. What are they "getting away with"?
Have to say that the people who run this city are some of the most progressive and forward thinking civil servants in the country. (And No, I don't work there or am related to anyone that does). Going back over the years, they have tried so many things in this city, street carnivals, summer festivals etc., have tried so hard to improve the infrastructure of the city, drainage scheme, Patricks street, the whole Hugenot quarter to name a few, things like the Tour De France, Tall Ships Race etc.
All this when they have to put up with some of the worst aresholes of councillors in the country, a ridiculous city/county divison which means that Douglas, Rochestown, Curraheen and a few other places are considered part of the county, and the complete lack of any civic pride or civic respect on behalf of the vast majority of Cork's population.
They, and he, do a fairly good job, but is the first to be criticised when it suits.

Risteard
12/01/2005, 8:48 AM
All this when they have to put up with some of the worst aresholes of councillors in the country.
With a few exceptions
Mick Barry
Chris O'Leary
Dave McCarthy.
Totally agree about the civic respect thing.
Nearly all of us are very proud of our Corkonianess.
But getting involved in it is much more rewarding than a love of slagging matches at other cities or a boastful yet lazy attitude.

A face
12/01/2005, 8:30 PM
the people who run this city are some of the most progressive and forward thinking civil servants in the country.

Get off the stage patsh ...... come on ... away down with ya, you'll fall and hurt yourself.

God above patsh ..... i am sorry but there is no way on this wide earth you could describe them as that.

Progressive .... no ..... Stalactites .... YES !!

They tried so so hard but guess what ...... will you stop making excuses, half the problem could be that civic pride that half of us dont have, but the other half dont have the balls to call a spade a spade and say what we think. If the City is below parr for what ever reason, being all pc and correct about it isn't going to solve it, establishing the problem and resolving it will. There is no other way.

Fair_play_boy
12/01/2005, 9:51 PM
EXTREMELY HARSH. What are they "getting away with"?
Have to say that the people who run this city are some of the most progressive and forward thinking civil servants in the country. (And No, I don't work there or am related to anyone that does). Going back over the years, they have tried so many things in this city, street carnivals, summer festivals etc., have tried so hard to improve the infrastructure of the city, drainage scheme, Patricks street, the whole Hugenot quarter to name a few, things like the Tour De France, Tall Ships Race etc.
All this when they have to put up with some of the worst aresholes of councillors in the country, a ridiculous city/county divison which means that Douglas, Rochestown, Curraheen and a few other places are considered part of the county, and the complete lack of any civic pride or civic respect on behalf of the vast majority of Cork's population.
They, and he, do a fairly good job, but is the first to be criticised when it suits.Now, Patsh, you have been one of the more consistent guardians of common sense in this forum since I was a foot.ie nipper. You have contributed accurate information and good analysis on a wide variety of subjects.
On this occasion, I reckon your post goes to show that even you can get it wrong once in a while.
IMHO, with the exception of a minority of city hall staff, (including the manager Joe Gavin) the people who work there seem to forget that they are there to serve the public.
95% of my dealings with the city council over the last 20 or so years has revealed narrow minded thinking, cowardice in naming and dealing with issues, and an overwhelming commitment to bureaucracy to the exclusion of making progress in the real world. The best example of this is the incredible tunnel vision of the different departments who do not, can not, or will not collaborate with each other on basic common sense matters such as when to dig up a street. For example, as part of the Main Drainage scheme, the Western Road was completely resurfaced last June, with an expensive smooth finish. Parts of this pristine surface have been dug up TWICE since then.
The incompetence of our local authority is to be seen in face to face dealings with them. They will quote reams of excuses for not getting something done. There is a terrible culture of bullying in the place. There is a really awful attitude towards dealing with members of the public who are not articulate enough to stand up for themselves. Many people I know are sent from office to office with nobody telling them what they need to know.
I work with several public agencies in my job, and I come across a certain percentage of oddballs and gobsh!tes in my travels. From my dealings with Cork City Hall, good people learn quickly to keep their heads down, as people of ability are dragged down by jealousy and vanity of their peers, and god forbid the poor young public servant who tries to be innovative. Few manage to break through this stranglehold of mediocrity.
Cork City Hall is a public service wasteland, and the quality of services we get is an accurate reflection of that. I am a true Corkonian and I don't like to see our own being criticised, but Patsh, your impressions of our city council are very, very charitable.

A face
12/01/2005, 10:07 PM
FPB .... you obviously have direct dealings with them and have seen it first hand.

But what i am referring to is the normal Joe soap on the street, well their opinion and my own as i have heard and seen it.

Perfect example ... if you have any family who come home once or twice a year .... listen to what they say, the changes that have been made (and i am not on about painting the feicing wall like) ... some lads on here have worked away abit (not in recent times, pre COC days, before they were digging up the streets) ..... The was absolutely no development for long periods of time and not a wrong word could be said about it.

Actually ... as you sy it FPB, i know of one or two other government buildings and institutions that operate in he same way. The back-stabbing, bitter fúcks always seem to push the cream to the side. Horrible atmosphere to work in i'd say !!

RedX
12/01/2005, 10:23 PM
Actually ... as you sy it FPB, i know of one or two other government buildings and institutions that operate in he same way. The back-stabbing, bitter fúcks always seem to push the cream to the side. Horrible atmosphere to work in i'd say !!

Well said Aface and FPB...this quote on what you say about certain government buildings in Cork is exactly the way lots of companys are run in this City..jealous back-stabbers hiding behind one another always stopping anyone with some progression in mind..if you show any kind of initiative you feel like you are doing something wrong...this City is infested..but still though there are some decent solid people around also and it is easy to spot the chancers...

SÓC
12/01/2005, 10:59 PM
To be fair to what Patsh has said does ring true to an extent.

During various jobs and involvements I've had contact with different City Councils. The boys in Cork are certainly no worse and to a large extent better than many I've encountered (especially the non-Irish ones I've had to deal with).

They IMO tend to give the non-red tape solution when ever they can but like all of them they have the same prevailing "work ethic"

Pablo
13/01/2005, 12:09 AM
just watched the repeat there on RTE. It was magnificent. when ode to joy came on at the end i got a shiver down my spine.

Be proud people. stop moaning this is great for our amazing City

patsh
13/01/2005, 8:08 AM
A few points:
As regards the Main Drainage scheme, it's the contractors who dig up, re-surface and dig up the road again. This is NOT a decision of the City Council.
As for no development for a long time, the Council is entirely dependent on rates, central funds and the planning process. If you only have money for the essential services, you can't build anything new. If you have the money and plan to do somerthing, and then EVERY small business in the City tries everything they can to stop the plan, just in case it might inconvenience their sh*tty litle business, it's very difficult to do anything.

A face you have provided no evidence except your opinion and some members of your family who moaned that nothing was being done.
FPB, you have had your difficulties, and I can readily identify with a lot of what you describe. However, I can say exactly the same thing about private companies I have worked for.
The council get the rubbish collected. They were one of the first to promote re-cycling, are still one of the few councils anywhere to have a dedicated building materials recycling centre. This despite ongoing campaigns against any charges. The streets are kept fairly clean and well lighted, even though Corkonians must be the dirtiest shower around.
The parks and green areas of the city are kept in excellent condition.
Houses of an excellent quality and standard have been built for social/affordable schemes under the lead of the city architects. Transport plans of high quality and vision have been produced by the Council. Regeneration schemes, sensitive to the locality and local people are under way/have been completed. There is a plan that looks forward to the city of the next century and what needs to be done to achieve this.
And all this in a city where we have 130,000 + individuals who all know better than everybody else, and know that everybody else is doing it wrong.

There are gobsh*tes, chancers, spoofers, time servers, wasters and downright w*nkers working in and for the Council. However, there are a lot of people who take immense pride in their job and their city working in/on and for the Council too, and though it takes time and effort, they try very hard to do the best they can for the city, and its citizens. That has been my experience, and continues to be. It's so easy to knock things, and view the negative, but I think the positive aspects of Cork City Council far outweigh the downside.

Colm
13/01/2005, 2:12 PM
just watched the repeat there on RTE. It was magnificent. when ode to joy came on at the end i got a shiver down my spine.

Be proud people. stop moaning this is great for our amazing City

Yeah watched that aswell last night. Brilliant.

John Creedon's 7 Wonders of Cork was on afterwards aswell and that was also excellent.

pete
13/01/2005, 5:08 PM
Creedon has become token Cork guy in Montrose. He hogging the tv screne these days.

Awakening might have been better on tv if the 2 muppets presenting on tv didn't talk opver it so much.

Superhoops
13/01/2005, 8:16 PM
just watched the repeat there on RTE. It was magnificent. when ode to joy came on at the end i got a shiver down my spine....Be proud people. stop moaning this is great for our amazing City

Yeah watched that aswell last night. Brilliant.....John Creedon's 7 Wonders of Cork was on afterwards aswell and that was also excellent.

thought the whole thing came off great. kinda diappointed about the fireworks expected more. highlight for me was d projection of faces on d water that was been sprayed up.
Pass the puke bucket!

patsh
13/01/2005, 8:30 PM
Pass the puke bucket!
What do you need a bucket for?
Don't you lot normally just puke on whoever happens to be passing by?

A face
13/01/2005, 9:37 PM
There are gobsh*tes, chancers, spoofers, time servers, wasters and downright w*nkers

Alright ... thats enough about the board of works !! :p