PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Irish

Stuttgart88
10/01/2005, 9:35 AM
Seems like most of the Irish did well at the weekend.

The only footy I saw was the Sheffield vs Villa game (about 80%) of it and thought that the 3 United players did well - Quinn, Kenny & Geary. I've liked evertyhting I've seen of Quinn since the Unity Cup. Kenny's handling was good. I missed the start of the game but the commentary said Geary was doing well.

Robbie & Reid scored good goals from what I've read and a few of the lower league Irish did well too. Yeates & Kelly featured for Spurs. Clinton got 3 assists and continued his good form.

Miller can't have done himself any favours though. Dunne can be forgiven as he put in a MOTM display at Highbury and is clearly in great form.

Did anyone see Arsenal vs Stoke? How did Clive Clarke do?

How did McGeady do in the OF game?

eirebhoy
10/01/2005, 9:43 AM
McGeady was average but average for him is good I suppose. A bit quiet but got a good few crosses in, 2 or 3 causing big problems.

I was impressed with Quinn too, I'd have him in the Ireland squad ahead of Miller from what I've seen anyway. He's certainly not afraid to put himself around.

Jay Tabb scored a good goal too, only his second goal this season (he scored 9 last season). I can only presume Brentford are playing him on the wing rather than up front, he's as fast as you get. Actually, just looking at his profile on the Brentford site it says his favourite position is the wing, he played up front for the U-21's against Scotland so thats why I thought he played there.

Plastic Paddy
10/01/2005, 9:53 AM
McGeady was average but average for him is good I suppose. A bit quiet but got a good few crosses in, 2 or 3 causing big problems.

He's yet to grab a game by the scruff of the neck, something of which he seems eminently capable. I thought he made Vignal look like a diddy on more than one occasion, but the best chance he had to do something (when the player slipped as McGeady ran at him) saw a poor cross resulting. He needs to do the simple stuff better. That should come with experience. He's still a very good prospect though.

:D PP

eirebhoy
10/01/2005, 10:15 AM
Any pictures of Rae without the front tooth? :D For those that didn't see it, McGeady was thussling with hard man Alex Rae and knocked his front tooth out. :)

eirebhoy
10/01/2005, 10:24 AM
http://69.93.29.242/hb/showthread.php?t=62759 :D

eirebhoy
10/01/2005, 12:26 PM
Also, I mentioned this in another thred but I think he deserves a mention here. Joey O'Brien scored for Sheffield Wednesday to add to his debut goal. Hopefully Allerdyce is keeping an eye on him.

ken foree
10/01/2005, 4:35 PM
..just thought i could insert this interesting snippet about sean thornton from sunderland who's been getting a run lately and starting to put it together a bit (apparently):

"If Stewart, who, like Sean Thornton, enjoyed an outstanding afternoon, was a little lucky with that award, Palace's elimination was generally regarded as atonement for the Premiership side's semi-final play-off win against McCarthy's men last May.

Maybe Sunderland's manager also deserved this reward for his dedication to a job in which he not only declined the offer of a BMW 7-series that went with the post on the grounds that acceptance would display insensitivity towards junior club employees recently made redundant but has spent countless mornings offering Thornton private 8am coaching sessions required to maximise the midfielder's latent but undoubted talent."

niiiiiiice :D (apologies if posted elsewhere)
football.guardian.co.uk

Pat O' Banton
10/01/2005, 5:31 PM
Did anyone see Arsenal vs Stoke? How did Clive Clarke do?

From what I noticed of him the game pretty much passed him by and he was subbed for a more attacking player with about fifteen left, he's playing in central midfield now instead of left back.

JimmyP
10/01/2005, 5:54 PM
Just before the Villa/Sheffield Utd. game, peter schmeichel said he was a fan of Paddy Kenny and said he was surprised that he wasn't in the premiership.