PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football

wexford boy
09/01/2005, 4:34 PM
ANYBODY LIKE TO SEE ALL GAMES KICK OFF AT 3PM ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS?I RECKON YOUD GET BETTER GATES,MORE KIDS GOING TO GAMES. :confused:

Éanna
09/01/2005, 4:36 PM
wexford boy, will you please turn off the caps lock. Its awful trying to read it.
thanks,
Éanna

eoinh
09/01/2005, 5:05 PM
ANYBODY LIKE TO SEE ALL GAMES KICK OFF AT 3PM ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS?I RECKON YOUD GET BETTER GATES,MORE KIDS GOING TO GAMES. :confused:

Friday summer nights are much better believe me!

GalwayFrancis
09/01/2005, 5:06 PM
Friday summer nights are much better believe me!

friday nights is el night!!!

wexford boy
09/01/2005, 5:06 PM
i do apoligise Eanna

dortie
09/01/2005, 5:09 PM

A Saturday would encourage more away support.
Im sure the Cork fellas will agree, its usually a half day off work on a friday to travel to Dublin.

1 9 2 8
09/01/2005, 5:28 PM
Saturday night 7:30 is the best time. It's good for away supporters and it's not too early in the day to go on the beer :D

gael353
09/01/2005, 5:40 PM
we've done the sat afternoon deal and trust me it doesnt work. Its very hard to get the teens away from the shopping centers. Friday night is the way all right but i admit that public transport (none wants it gets dark) and traffic congestion on Friday nights are a pain!

4tothefloor
09/01/2005, 5:52 PM
Absolutely not, Saturdays are a complete no-no for me as I, like many others, have to work on Saturdays. I couldn't get to one Limerick game at home last season because 95% of them were held on Saturdays. It really pi$$ed me off. :mad:

I went quite a lot the season before when we made the play-offs. That season, games were Sunday afternoon. As far as i'm concerned, Friday nights are handy cos there's nothing else on. Saturday nights are best IMO 'cos you can just go out afterwards, and you're off work the following day. After that, Sunday afternoons. If Limerick's games are on Saturday afternoons this season, i'm going to cause a riot! I'm told they'll be Friday nights, which isn't too bad.

A face
09/01/2005, 11:49 PM
Friday night is football night !! :D

BohDiddley
10/01/2005, 8:58 AM
Agreed.
Don't mess up my Friday nights! Ideal: Hoop-slaughter at Dalymount (on the pitch, I mean) then home to watch Later with Jules. It's all some of us oul fellas have left ...

KR's Post
10/01/2005, 9:44 AM
Friday nights are great.... I love the atmosphere at night, it seems to be much better..... Although when your away on a friday, say in cork, it can be a b-olox for getting off work and the traffic, especially on bank holiday weekends!!! The first division was a nightmare for this as there were not many local derbys and we had to travel ALOT. Cork and Derry fans must hate that..... ;) Not when they win though of course :p

Hibs4Ever
10/01/2005, 9:56 AM
Have to agree that Saturday nights would be much better for away supporters.

corkharps
10/01/2005, 10:09 AM
If we want to promote the game,have better atmosphere and actually encourage travelling support, ALL games should be played on a Saturday night!

Macy
10/01/2005, 10:16 AM
If we want to promote the game,have better atmosphere and actually encourage travelling support, ALL games should be played on a Saturday night!
All games should be Saturday afternoon, Saturday night or Sunday Afternoon. I'd actually prefer either Saturday or Sunday afternoons myself, but then that's a personal circumstance thing. Weekend afternoon would allow people to use public transport at reasonable times of the day, travel anywhere in the country there and back relistically and safely by car and I believe increase the crowds.

The only games that should be allowed on Friday Nights should be derbies eg where travelling times would between clubs would be an hour or less.

monutdfc
10/01/2005, 10:45 AM
Last season the league tried quite hard to reach agreement on Friday night for all first division teams and saturday night for all premier division teams (yes, I know that sounds back to front), but obviously it didn't happen.

LFC in Exile
10/01/2005, 11:00 AM
Saturday afternoons much better. No competition with matches on the telly (except the odd RTE one now). Away support can travel. They can also travel for Saturday night games but a long drive home at night is not too appealing. More people are prevented travelling to games by working Friday than by working Saturday. It couldbe come the new tradition. Less expense without lights. More traditional time to watch football.

I think all matches kicking off on Saturday afternnon is ideal (with one played Friday night for live TV).

Other wise we get the mad situation of Thursday night matches. Now that is mad.

Neish
10/01/2005, 11:02 AM
Friday nights are grand for the Dublin clubs where the vast majority of their supporters live and work within Dublin. But for clubs outside the capital like Harps, Cork, Galway, Derry etc a lot of their fans work and live in Dublin and face 3-4 hrs trip home to see games. With most game kicking off betwen 7pm and 8pm they need to finish work around 3 or 4 in the evening which doesn't happen in too many work places.

Also as stated in other posts Saturday nights are better for away support, most fans are off saturday and can travel.

As for Saturday afternoons, it would clash with live Premiership games, and would prob effect crowds

Ps. Why was this thread entitled Summer Football when it is clearly a debate over which weekend night LOI fottie should be played on? I could be wrong but aren't there friday & saturday nights all year round? :D

MariborKev
10/01/2005, 11:38 AM
The Irish League teams are abandoning Saturday afternoons when they can due to the adverse effect of televised games

Macy
10/01/2005, 11:45 AM
The Irish League teams are abandoning Saturday afternoons when they can due to the adverse effect of televised games
They could've blocked the Saturday games through FIFA. Actually thinking about it, could that be the real reason for the Setanta Cup?

MariborKev
10/01/2005, 11:50 AM
Macy,

I am on dodgy ground here but is that not only available through national broadcasters?

Given that RTE occupies a "special position" in terms of the GFA, I dunno what the lie of the land would be.

Macy
10/01/2005, 12:02 PM
Macy,

I am on dodgy ground here but is that not only available through national broadcasters?

Given that RTE occupies a "special position" in terms of the GFA, I dunno what the lie of the land would be.
Thought that was why Sky coughed up for floodlights when they won the English contract and wanted Sunday Games? The IFA could've objected as it would be viewable in large parts of the North through overspill, never mind cable (and soon to be Satellite), afaik

Schumi
10/01/2005, 12:31 PM
Saturday afternoons are much handier for travelling. Being able to get a bus or train back after the game makes the whole trip so much handier (not to mention cheaper!) but I like having our home games on Friday nights.

Carlin
10/01/2005, 1:36 PM
All games should be Saturday afternoon, Saturday night or Sunday Afternoon. I'd actually prefer either Saturday or Sunday afternoons myself, but then that's a personal circumstance thing. Weekend afternoon would allow people to use public transport at reasonable times of the day, travel anywhere in the country there and back relistically and safely by car and I believe increase the crowds.

The only games that should be allowed on Friday Nights should be derbies eg where travelling times would between clubs would be an hour or less.

I'd agree with that. Friday nights for derbies, Saturday nights or afternoons for every other match.

crc
10/01/2005, 2:11 PM
I don't really mind what day they're on for home games, but for getting to away games Saturday is undoubtedly the best. I also think its best to have all games at the same time, with occasional exceptions.

From what others have said, it looks like Saturday 7.30 is the best time (and maybe Saturday at 3 for clubs that don't have lights). Maybe we could give clubs a quota of about 5 games on Friday nights, so that only the big Dublin derbies are moved from the usual time.

BohDiddley
10/01/2005, 4:55 PM
Seems to me on the basis of this that home fans favour Friday, travelling favour Saturday. Since home fans would make up the vast majority of any crowd, surely the Friday makes more commercial sense.

A face
10/01/2005, 5:24 PM
Seems to me on the basis of this that home fans favour Friday, travelling favour Saturday. Since home fans would make up the vast majority of any crowd, surely the Friday makes more commercial sense.

Someone having mentioned that televised games have an impact on the domestic game in the north ... surely the same can be said down here too

Should RTE compensate clubs because of this ??

Should SKY compensate clubs because of this ??

Is this happening ??

And just to add ... the friday night leaves the rest of the weekend free .... but if it were sat ... it would be every second one ..... it would really add to the games if more away support were there (away normally more vocal, or is that just CCFC fans ... probably :D )

There is for and against ..... anyway ...... RTE / SKY .... Compensation ... when do we get he money and can it be back dated ???

MariborKev
10/01/2005, 6:29 PM
Sky did compensate us in the past- and the LOI took advantage of the "blockout period" did it not?

A face
10/01/2005, 9:14 PM
Sky did compensate us in the past- and the LOI took advantage of the "blockout period" did it not?

Blockout period ?? .... what/when/who was that ??

Was aware of some sort of deal but i was lead to believe SKY go away with murder because no one policed the whole thing, dont know if that was FAI or other !?!

What was this blockout period ??

sonofstan
10/01/2005, 10:25 PM
As Mr. Diddley said; friday night for home games , Saturday for aways ... which obviously doesn't make sense - difficulty with Macy's idea is that with 6 (counting Bray - you can get a dart back afterwards, that makes it Dublin) Dublin teams in the Premier Division this year, we could play half our matches on Friday night whereas Longford don't really have a derby and won't 'til they go back down to join Athlone and Monaghan

LFC in Exile
11/01/2005, 11:25 AM

And maybe they make up such a huge majority because the matches are on Friday nights. The home fans will go whenever it is on. So you increase revenue if you switch to a time that accommodates away fans. :ball:

Clones Road Cas
11/01/2005, 11:33 AM
As Mr. Diddley said; friday night for home games , Saturday for aways ... which obviously doesn't make sense - difficulty with Macy's idea is that with 6 (counting Bray - you can get a dart back afterwards, that makes it Dublin) Dublin teams in the Premier Division this year, we could play half our matches on Friday night whereas Longford don't really have a derby and won't 'til they go back down to join Athlone and Monaghan

Get A Map You fool

A Longford - Monaghan Derby. Sure of course we're near neighbours.

Slash/ED
11/01/2005, 12:11 PM
The home fans will go whenever it is on.

They wont, some days are better than others for getting the most home fans in the ground and for the majority of clubs thats friday

Longfordian
11/01/2005, 12:30 PM
Wer've always found Saturdays to be better but overall our crowds are down on winter football

Macy
11/01/2005, 12:35 PM
Don't see why it's a problem? I'm not suggesting Derby games must or should be a Friday, just that they'd be the only games allowed to be switched to Friday.

Neish
11/01/2005, 1:22 PM

Aye ok from the Dublin derbys but not so much for other derbys. I always like to see clubs make an effort to bring a decent away support. Banter and craic adds to the atmosphere.

So I say for none Dublin derbys all games should be Saturday night. What better a pint or two go to watch your team and after head out to whatever you cup of tea is

pete
11/01/2005, 1:32 PM
Friday night, summer football is best of all options.

Live TV games should be moved to different time possibly saturday or monday evening.